Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are a few of my observations from the photography I shared

1. If NB is believed to have (first) arrived at the bench at 8.46 (source: police), then seen in the lower field at 8.50, then seen exiting the lower field "along the river path", it implies she is walking anti-clockwise around the fields (IMO)

2. She is then seen in the Upper Field, almost precisely here, at about 9.10 although the timings aren't certain. To me, 20 minutes from leaving the Lower Field to that point in the Upper Field is slightly too long if she's walking normally. It would however make sense for her to stop at the bench, after exiting the lower field, to send the text that she sent (at 8.57) and dial into the call at 9.01am. If she dialed in, then set off to the upper field, it does seem right that she'd be seen at 9.10.

3. Let's assume whatever happened, happened by 9.30, otherwise she probably would have disconnected at the end of the Teams call. So basically, it can be assumed that she continued her walk, anti-clockwise around the upper field. Getting to this point (right next to where Rowanwater access road meets the field, behind the fence), and then this point (where Rowanwater properties back on to the field)

Either, something happened in that 20 minutes and she never arrived at the bench again, or she successfully rounded the field, and arrived back at the bench at some point between about 9.20 and 9.30 (this is me assuming it takes at least 10 minutes to complete the loop).

Another dog walker supposedly finds Willow and NB's phone at the bench at 9.35.

We have the following options:

1. NB gets back to the bench by 9.20 (realistic earliest time given size of the loop, IMO), and has "an event" that has rendered her unseeable/unhearable by the dog walker who arrives 15 minutes later. Implies going into the water accidentally (while leaving her phone on the bench, still connected to the call) and succumbing (cold water shock?) extremely quickly.

2. Something happened on the loop, between 9.10 and 9.35, and someone was able to return her phone and Willow to the bench in about 20 or so minutes.

To me, the accident is the most likely, but neither are totally impossible. The reason the accident is most likely is well, partly it just is (unfortunately dog-related water accidents aren't that rare), but also that I find it quite hard to believe that Willow would stay "running loose" by the bench if placed there without NB.

JMO

Option 2 is similar to what I've now been wondering. Something happening in maybe the upper field near Rowanwater or lower field maybe near the bench or near the caravan site road, and her stuff then being placed at the bench. If the dog was loose rather than tied to the bench that is a bit of a problem with that theory though as it would have surely been found in one of the fields (I posted yesterday about not being sure the kissing gate would actually stop it accessing the areas beyond).

As to timings, Strava from a previous walk along this route showed it took NB less than 30 minutes for the entire loop from and back to the road bridge.

Is the news conference being in the village hall significant do we think as in the location ? Is this likely to be asking for more information from the local population and not any kind of major announcement ?
The reporters don't believe it's anything major. They think if it was significant it would be held at police quarters.

They'd actually put a tent up and process a lot of information at the scene. It can be hours until bodies are moved, particularly if the death was in suspicious circumstances.
Not if one is removed from the river, straight into ambulance.

As always i'm watching sky news live and literally in the background is a man walking his springer at the scene. He threw a stick into the water and the dog jumped in retrieved and climbed out with ease. It puts the theory she thought Willow was in difficulty to bed for me. (I know it has been reported in the media that willow was found dry, but there is always a chance this was incorrect)
I noted that and on opposite riverbank so near the large house I’m guessing

Last edited:
it looks quite lonely, not sure I'd like to be that far away from people. The person who filmed this once off the road didn't encounter one single other person.
I live not far from here and my grandmother lived in the next village over (Great Eccleston). St Michaels is a very small and most residents probably know each other. The route was probably very familiar to Nicola. There is hardly any crime in the village so she may have felt very safe taking a route she knows well. There is a college not too far from the village (Myerscough College) and 3 cities (Lancaster, Preston and Blackpool) about a 20 min drive away.

As always i'm watching sky news live and literally in the background is a man walking his springer at the scene. He threw a stick into the water and the dog jumped in retrieved and climbed out with ease. It puts the theory she thought Willow was in difficulty to bed for me. (I know it has been reported in the media that willow was found dry, but there is always a chance this was incorrect)
Ahh, this could be the reason she always took the harness off at the beginning of a walk. Maybe she was so used to Willow jumping into the water and wanted to keep the harness dry? So that would mean that Willow in the water was in fact, as you say, a usual thing.

Very sad that they seem to potentially have found something significant regardless of how it's occurred. <modsnip>

EDIT: I see it suggested it's unrelated, I guess we'll find out in an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve jumped and submerged into open water that would likely be significantly warmer than the river would have been and the cold water shock literally took my breath away. Te strength of that immediate reaction really took me by surprise.

In my case it was planned and I was wearing a life vest but I was really taken aback by how immediate and all consuming the reaction was - your body does literally go into shock.

It’s very easy to think that oh the water isn’t that deep, she was a swimmer. But the impact of unexpectedly submerging in water that is only a few degrees C is really significant.
Honestly, from a lot of the comments here, you can tell a lot of people's only experience of water is swimming pools.

For anyone doubting the affect cold water can have on you, go fill your bath up from the cold tap and then submerge yourself in it. Make sure soneone else is nearby for safety.

Remember that feeling of freezing cold, and then remember that tap water is about 10c at the moment, or twice as warm as the river wyre.

In my opinion the water will hold the answers. Yes, something else could have happened, but time and time again when people go missing around water, the water is the key.

All MOO of course.

I live not far from here and my grandmother lived in the next village over (Great Eccleston). St Michaels is a very small and most residents probably know each other. The route was probably very familiar to Nicola. There is hardly any crime in the village so she may have felt very safe taking a route she knows well. There is a college not too far from the village (Myerscough College) and 3 cities (Lancaster, Preston and Blackpool) about a 20 min drive away.
BBM

Not necessarily true. Feel free to click through several months here - and note several instances of sexual offences with either perp unidentified, still under investigation or other

And note proximity to walking area.

Also (source: statista.com), some of these kidnappings quoted below must surely have been of women? This is such a shocking figure that I had to read it twice:

'In 2021/22 there were 6,905 kidnapping offences recorded by the police in England and Wales, an increase when compared with the previous year. Incidents of kidnapping reached a low of 1,388 offences in 2012/13 but have been increasing in every year since then.'

Feb 3 2023
1675432265181.png

1675432243923.png
''Friends of missing woman Nicola Bulley say there's new hope she could be found after an "influx of calls" to police following fresh appeals at the scene today.

Emma White told Sky News they were hoping for a "lightbulb moment" exactly a week after she disappeared.

Friends and locals have been holding photos and placards of Ms Bulley by the roadside in the Lancashire village where she went missing.

It appears to have had an effect, with the police getting a number of new calls.''

BBM

Not necessarily true. Feel free to click through several months here - and note several instances of sexual offences with either perp unidentified, still under investigation or other

And note proximity to walking area.
Concerning IMO

Feb 3 2023
View attachment 399849

View attachment 399847
''Friends of missing woman Nicola Bulley say there's new hope she could be found after an "influx of calls" to police following fresh appeals at the scene today.

Emma White told Sky News they were hoping for a "lightbulb moment" exactly a week after she disappeared.

Friends and locals have been holding photos and placards of Ms Bulley by the roadside in the Lancashire village where she went missing.

It appears to have had an effect, with the police getting a number of new calls.''

Encouraging. I really hope she is found, well. This is shooting my nerves today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stassy75