Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite the police hypothesis there is absolutely ZERO physical evidence to support an accidental drowning or their hypothesis so far. Since when did the police start using hypothetical theories in the media instead of basing their investigations solely on the evidence alone. Is this something they usually do?
I don't know, unless they're under a lot of pressure to come to a theory to publise it.

I agree about the car keys falling out. Also I wonder if she had wireless bluetooth earphones or ones with a cable that would have also come off... JMO.

Edited - removed theory about her hat. No evidence that she was wearing one at the time of her disappearance. My apologies

I agree about the car keys falling out. Or her hat would have come off in the water? Also I wonder if she had wireless bluetooth earphones or ones with a cable that would have also come off... JMO.
She wasn't wearing a hat - hair in ponytail.

I will be very interested to see the scale of MSM presence in St Michaels from tomorrow onwards. As sad as this case is, if the police are correct in what they announced today, it will be nowhere near as newsworthy going forward.
I often feel the press know more than they can say.
Yes. I believe the police’s clear position on this will now see the media interest recede very quickly. This firmly becomes a sad river accident with the person yet to be recovered. The police’s request for other speculation to cease will be respected.

Similar incidents happen very frequently, and people go missing all the time.

It is certainly very interesting how this case has held the national and media interest in the way it has.

Last summer I came across a lady and her dog, with the dog in a frantic state in a big pond - an ex brick pit. The dog’s ball had gone in the water and he was desperately trying to retrieve it. The poor dog’s face was covered in mud as the ball seemed to be near the bank.

I couldn’t bear the dog being so distressed, so I offered to jump in and retrieve it. I sound incredibly stupid but I was convinced I’d be safe as it’s very near me and I’ve lived here for over 20 years. I thought it was shallower at the sides and although the bank was a similar distance to the river in this case, I thought I’d be fine.

I jumped in and when my feet hit the bottom it was so slippery, I just slid under the water. I couldn’t get a grip. The ball was under the bank, so I managed to grab that, but had to hand it to the lady as I couldn’t throw it. Trying to get out, with the bottom so slippery and the bank quite high above the water was terrifying. Despite it being summer, the water was very cold and I very quickly became very frightened and panicky. I couldn’t get a grip as the bottom of the pond seemed to disintegrate under me and without a firm footing, I couldn’t begin to pull myself out. I couldn’t get a grip on the bank either and it suddenly looked really high.

The lady was useless and there was no-one else around. God knows how I did, it (though I suspect it was sheer terror), but I managed to get out. There was grass to the edge of the pond, which gave me a bit of texture to grab onto. I’ve never been so scared in my life.

This was in summer and I was wearing shorts and a top, no coat, no boots etc. I took my shoes off before I jumped in. I’m afraid I can well imagine this happening to Nicola and her not being able to get out. She may fallen forward and her face would have been submerged, also she could have been further away from the bank. She was weighed down by her clothing and all alone. It may seem easy for her to get out, but I promise you, it’s extremely difficult. She wouldn’t have long before she was physically unable to move. The fear is overwhelming.

Sorry to ramble, but this has really upset me. Poor Nicola.
Sounds absolutely terrifying thank goodness your here to tell the tale . My daughters good friend lost his life jumping into a quarry . Nice summers day thought they have some fun and I would think the danger never crossed their minds.

Is there a photo of the bench from behind. I was talking to my dad who was watching the news and apparently the slope is a bit 'steep' and it would probably be muddy. She could of slipped if she got up fast?

I just hope that the police have definitive proof that NB has fallen in the river, even if they're not sharing it with the public.

if they're saying that she's in the river because it makes the most sense in their eyes, then I don't know what to say.
They won't have definitive proof of anything unless a body is recovered from the water. That in itself would most likely conclude whether it was a tragic accident or something suspicious.

The Superintendent said that the river is tidal beyond the wier
The search was commenced within 2 hours, before the weir, the river is not tidal, and isn’t reported to be fast flowing. People were in the area within the 10 minute window they give of her potentially falling in, for her to pass the weir she would have had to go OVER it at pretty much surface level.

I just hope that the police have definitive proof that NB has fallen in the river, even if they're not sharing it with the public.

if they're saying that she's in the river because it makes the most sense in their eyes, then I don't know what to say.
I believe they know more than they are letting on.

Apologies if someone has already mentioned this, but Sky News has just run a very informative interview with a forensic diving/water investigation expert. He says that in his many years of experience, when a dog owner falls into the water, he has never once known a situation where the dog has left the precise spot where its owner went in. I found that interesting.

This was a major issue with todays press conference.
Most people seem to think the Super Intendant was excellent but she couldn’t get the name of the road correct. She repeatedly called it Garstang Lane. It is Garstang Road. This road and the exits onto it are still a big part of their hypothesis. There are 2 exits. It would have even helpful if she specified which exit onto Garstang Road was not covered by CCTV
JimmyBets - are you able to circle on a map the two exits you mention?
I've just re-watched the daily mail walk through:

It only took 8 minutes to complete the whole journey.
So an exit via Garstang Road through the caravan park would be 3-4mins?
The top exit, maybe 6 mins?

Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 19.20.522.jpg

Last edited:
Apologies if someone has already mentioned this, but Sky News has just run a very informative interview with a forensic diving/water investigation expert. He says that in his many years of experience, when a dog owner falls into the water, he has never once known a situation where the dog has left the precise spot where its owner went in. I found that interesting.
Same here, in correlation with the description of the dog running between the bench area and the gate at the other end of the field.

It all points to the stretch of river below the bench.

I can't get the image of Willow anxiously going between the bench and gate out of my mind. Was it because that was the usual exit? Was it because she could still detect the scent of them arriving? Or was there fresh scent of NB leaving through the gate?

I accept the probability that this was a tragic accident and NB fell into the water, either where the bench is or further along, but can't help wondering why Willow was going between the bench and gate? Why not run into the field to look for her, or further along the riverbank? It's as if she picked up NB's scent at the gate.

I had hoped they would find some clues today that could point them to a definitive answer as to what happened to NB and get some form of closure. I can’t begin to imagine how her family must be feeling. IMO it does seem strange that nothing bar her phone and the dogs harness and lead have been found, I would of at the least expected her car keys to fall out of her pocket during a fall/roll into the river or if there had been a tennis ball straying into the river for it to it appeared somewhere as a clue. MOO
I try to keep money and keys in zipped up pockets. Maybe NB did the same so they wouldn’t fall out. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke