Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire), Jan 2023 #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snipped for focus.

Unfortunately accidental drownings happen, even with young, healthy, and experienced swimmers. One of our own passed back in 2007. Joyce Harrison, AKA WS mod Tybee, as a lot of WS old-timers will remember her as, accidentally passed while swimming and she was an experienced swimmer, 47 yrs young. :(

And Tybee was dressing for swimming, Nicola was not. It's very possible it was accidental drowning with Nicola. My other thought is murder. While I could be wrong, suicide is the furthest from my mind with Nicola and isn't even on the table (for me).

Hi Gemmie:) Joyce was my mom. Thank you for remembering her and sharing this. While my mom's death was ruled as an accidental drowning, the circumstances surrounding her death point to suicide. She had cancer that was never treated or identified, and had become very ill in her last few months of life. Thank you again for keeping her memory alive. -Katie

Lancashire Police will not face any action over its handling of the disappearance of Nicola Bulley after investigations by two watchdogs.

The Information Commissioner's Office has announced it will not be taking any enforcement action against the force over its disclosure of her personal information.

Meanwhile, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has cleared the Lancashire force of any wrongdoing.

It did identify two "areas for learning".

A spokesperson for the IOPC said: "After a careful review and analysis of all the evidence, we identified two areas of learning for Lancashire Constabulary in respect of updating its guidance documents for multi-agency vehicles, to ensure all police officers working in this role understand what is expected of them, as well as the provision of guidance for officers more widely when dealing with similar situations.

"We also identified two areas of learning for the officer, which relate to recording information on police systems and activation of body worn video."

IOPC Regional Director Catherine Bates added: “Our investigation has identified important learning for the force in relation to the policing role in multi-agency vehicles, which aims to assist the force in their response to similar calls in the future. Our thoughts remain with Ms Bulley’s family and friends and all those affected by her death.”

Today (May 9), it has been announced a separate review into police handling of the case, commissioned by Lancashire's Police and Crime Commissioner Andrew Snowden, is now underway.

Nicola Bulley probe into 'one police officer' finds no evidence of misconduct

Lancashire Police will not face any action over its handling of the disappearance of Nicola Bulley after investigations by two watchdogs.

The Information Commissioner's Office has announced it will not be taking any enforcement action against the force over its disclosure of her personal information.

Meanwhile, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has cleared the Lancashire force of any wrongdoing.

It did identify two "areas for learning".
Good news.
They're a stellar police force IMO.
They had no choice when they made that disclosure, scum media was about to publish cruel words.

Nicola Bulley update as independent review launched into Lancashire Police's handling of case​

An independent review into Lancashire Police’s handling of the Nicola Bulley investigation is underway.

The review – announced in February and commissioned by Lancashire’s Police and Crime Commissioner Andrew Snowden – is being carried out by the College of Policing.

It has been tasked with conducting a thorough review of the investigation and decision making of Lancashire Police in relation to the tragic case of the mum-of-two.

The report and recommendations from the review are set to be made public in Autumn 2023.

What is the review looking at?

The review will draw upon nationally recognised guidance and expertise from within and outside of the College of Policing.

The review has three areas of focus. It will consider:
- the operational response to the high-risk missing person investigation
- the communication and engagement with the press and media, public and family
- and decision making surrounding the disclosure of sensitive personal information

Why is there a review into the case?

The review’s findings will provide insight into the effectiveness of the Lancashire Police response over the course of the period Nicola Bulley was missing.

It will also examine whether the decision making of Lancashire Police was “reasonable and proportionate”. Commissioner says he is ‘holding Lancashire Police to account’.

[...]

"Whilst the police investigation has concluded, and the inquest will take place in due course, it is only right that we should examine Lancashire Police's handling of this tragic case, which has been a cause for public concern, through an externally conducted independent review.

"This review will follow the facts and seek input from relevant operational and subject matter experts in reaching its findings. It will also seek to identify good and effective practice, and provide recommendations for wider learning to police forces nationally.”

“In my role as Commissioner, as the public’s voice in policing in Lancashire, I need to put in place the appropriate scrutiny to seek the right assurances and to ensure I am effectively holding the Constabulary to account for delivering policing that is efficient and effective for the communities we serve."It's important we understand what worked so that high profile cases can be best investigated and communicated under such spotlight and scrutiny"I am confident that the Constabulary is fully engaging in the review process."

What do Lancashire Police say?

Assistant Chief Constable Sam Mackenzie said: “We are keen to take the opportunity to learn and we welcome the independent review that the Police and Crime Commissioner has asked the College of Policing to conduct.

"We will, of course, work with the College to identify any good and effective practice, learn lessons and provide recommendations for wider learning to police forces nationally.

“We are also aware that the Information Commissioner’s Office have concluded their investigation into our disclosure of personal information about Nicola on February 15 and they have told us they will not be taking any enforcement action.

"We thank them for their careful consideration of this matter, and we welcome their decision.”

Statement from College of Policing

“The review will follow the facts and seek input from relevant operational and subject matter experts to help capture any learning for policing in Lancashire and the wider service.

"We will present our findings to the PCC later this year.”

IMO, there is no proof that Nicola had significant issues with alcohol consumption around the time she went missing, this is simply anecdotal, and was stated as such by her "family" as far as what is stated in MSM.

Therefore, there is no proof that she had significant alcohol issues -- no documentation from her doctor or friends or colleagues or the barmaid at the local witnessing it or anyone but ubiquitous "family" saying this -- nor that the call a few weeks before that involved a visit to her house had anything to do with her alcohol consumption.

It's simply anecdotal on its own, IMO, and a very flimsy basis for this ever "making it into the news", so I think that's regrettable because as far as we know, LE had no proof of it other than what distressed family members may have opined.

I wasn't implying in my previous post that her alcohol struggles were just a rumor, and never have faulted LE for repeating what her family told them, that was understood and their reasons were good in their estimat

I was just saying it is not proven, and so is anecdotal, that her alcohol issues were a problem in her day to day life, and further, they could have been exaggerated or taken out of context.

What form of proof would satisfy you?
Do you think Doctors should release medical records to the press? Police should release witness statements of people who sold alcohol to Ms Bulley?

Having experienced the inquest of someone close, I know the Coroner will have had extensive contact with the GP and any other medical professionals treating Ms Bulley to find out if there were any mental or physical indicators of any factors which might have led to her drowning.
If LE thought it was relevant they'd have interviewed any local alcohol outlets and checked any purchase history on her cards.

Why do you think this information should be made public before the inquest?

What form of proof would satisfy you?
Do you think Doctors should release medical records to the press? Police should release witness statements of people who sold alcohol to Ms Bulley?

Having experienced the inquest of someone close, I know the Coroner will have had extensive contact with the GP and any other medical professionals treating Ms Bulley to find out if there were any mental or physical indicators of any factors which might have led to her drowning.
If LE thought it was relevant they'd have interviewed any local alcohol outlets and checked any purchase history on her cards.

Why do you think this information should be made public before the inquest?
Thanks for sharing the scope of the inquest based on your experience. I don't need or want any proof, and did not imply anything further needs to be revealed. I thought it worth pointing out Nicola's alcohol issues were anecdotal, before the inquest. JMO

IMO, Nicola's "struggles" with alcohol, if they were recurring at the time she disappeared -- there is no proof of this or how she was doing that week or that Friday in particular -- appear to smack of fitting someone's "narrative" of forces at work that drove her to disappear, and have nothing to do with what happened to her that morning.

She was by all counts highly functional in her role as a mom and in her profession. She was working late the night before, she brought her children to school that morning, and then went to work right away participating in the work call.

It really is a stretch, IMO, to presume or wonder if she would be drinking alcohol in the morning while working and walking her dog.

There are no indications what her "struggles" equated to and what her family meant by "significant" issues with alcohol -- it could have been anything from having one or more drinks than usual every night to overdoing it at the weekend or when she went out -- nor that she was a day drinker.

IMO, it's very unfortunate, if true, the CCTV was coincidentally not working near her house that morning, which might have given a glimpse of her appearance and how she was functioning, and quashed some of the speculation about her status that morning:

"Nicola's friend also claims that a CCTV camera which would have captured some of her last known movements wasn't working."

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/20...a-bulley-hit-back-over-inappropriate-comments
that friend also claimed the big house hadnt been searched and it had..numerous times.

Nicola Bulley: Calls for TikTok scrutiny after police search​

A police boss has said he wants to understand more about how social media conspiracy theories took hold in the search for missing Nicola Bulley.

[...]

He said posts on TikTok in particular had attempted to discredit "bungling, incompetent" officers - while amateur detectives claimed they knew better.

[...]

Mr Snowden told the Local Democracy Reporting Service: "TikTok in particular saw online amateur detectives pushing conspiracy theories out, which resulted in vile abuse towards Nicola's family and friends.

"How did that get so out of hand?"

[...]

Mr Snowden added that a policing investigation which "was sadly correct in its hypothesis all the way along" became such a story "about 'bungling, incompetent cops".

Lancashire Police were convinced Ms Bulley had fallen in the river despite extensive searches failing to find her for more than three weeks.

This sparked conspiracy theories and speculation over her private life.

Crime commissioner perplexed by TikTok agenda dominance

Asked by the Local Democracy Reporting Service whether he had ordered the review – which got under way earlier this month – because it was good practice to do so or because he was concerned about the way the case had been handled, Mr. Snowden said that it was important to address the public disquiet that elements of the inquiry had prompted and “ask the questions” that they wanted answering.

However, he added that he also wanted to get to the heart of how one Lancashire family’s very personal and tragic experience had sparked a global media – and social media – storm: and one which served only to heighten their suffering.

“Yes, it is good practice when such a major story has [occurred to review it]. I’m also concerned in a modern policing era [that]… a policing investigation, [which] was sadly correct in its hypothesis all the way along… became such a story – particularly in the national papers – about ‘bungling, incompetent cops’. Yet they were right all along.

“So how did the police lose control of that narrative? I’m grateful to local media outlets all [of whom] were very measured and sensible in their reporting and listened to what the police were saying. But that wasn’t the case with a lot of the national newspapers – and then this became an internationalised, sensationalised story. TikTok, in particular, [saw] online amateur detectives pushing conspiracy theories out, which resulted in vile abuse towards Nicola’s family and friends. How did that get so out of hand?”

Nicola Bulley: Calls for TikTok scrutiny after police search​

A police boss has said he wants to understand more about how social media conspiracy theories took hold in the search for missing Nicola Bulley.

[...]

He said posts on TikTok in particular had attempted to discredit "bungling, incompetent" officers - while amateur detectives claimed they knew better.

[...]

Mr Snowden told the Local Democracy Reporting Service: "TikTok in particular saw online amateur detectives pushing conspiracy theories out, which resulted in vile abuse towards Nicola's family and friends.

"How did that get so out of hand?"

[...]

Mr Snowden added that a policing investigation which "was sadly correct in its hypothesis all the way along" became such a story "about 'bungling, incompetent cops".

Lancashire Police were convinced Ms Bulley had fallen in the river despite extensive searches failing to find her for more than three weeks.

This sparked conspiracy theories and speculation over her private life.

He has a point to be honest. Social media has been horrific in this case.

I think he made the situation far far worse than it should have been personally

I agree. All he ever needed to say was that he was willing to offer his services to help find NB. Then he should have shut up and done his job.

Instead he said if he didn't find her in the water it would mean she wasn't there. And then, when he didn't find her, he started talking about foul play and looking for her on land. He led NB's desperate family down a false trail and the only person who benefited from any of it was himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow