GUILTY UK - Nurse accused in insulin poisonings, deaths at Stepping Hill Hospital, 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A must read and a timely reminder of the utter b#+**)%ks printed in our tabloids

From the above article
"And then it got more sinister. Innocent Leighton was linked to a convicted serial killer:

It emerged yesterday that the saline serial killer may have murdered more victims than Angel of Death Beverley Allitt. Nurse Allitt, now 42, was given life 18 years ago for murdering four children and injuring nine others in a spree that shocked the nation."

So this is where the serial killer business started, whoops another rumour was nearly started, on Websleuths of all places

Lol :)

The problem in this case is the cops arent really saying they think shes innocent but more that its down to lack of evidence or whatever..and its continuing to be investigated. Personally I think they should wait til the investigation is over before deciding whether she can go back to nursing or not. I understand its not fair on her if shes then not charged but IF she does go back to work.,..and is then found to be responsible...well i think there will be an uproar :(

Regarding the Ibuprofen.i dont think personally thats nothing here or there ( tho i know it is to the GMC) and as for facebook..in all honesty...to avoid anything like this its better to m ake your page private so that only ur friends and family see it. Theres been cases where people have trashed there bosses on fb..and cos the page was open the boss sacked them which is totally crap :(

Saline deaths: Stepping Hill nurse Rebecca Leighton 'a scapegoat' (BBC)

---
Her solicitor, Carl Richmond, said there had to be a scapegoat as there was "absolute chaos" at the hospital.

He said he got the feeling the hospital "could not function because of all the speculation".

"I was imploring the police to bail her while they continued their inquiries but the decision was made to charge.

"They jumped the gun, though, and tried to build the case against her from there rather than the usual method of bailing her pending further inquiries."
---
Here's all they had:

During a bail application last month, it emerged the evidence at that stage against the nurse amounted to her fingerprint being on a saline bag which was damaged by a needle.

Her thumb print was also discovered on the bottom of a bottle of antibiotic fluid which contained insulin.
---
more at link above

After reports in some newspapers that Miss Leighton could sue police for as much as £1m, Mr Richmond told Sky News such speculation was "premature".

He said the 27-year-old nurse would probably meet with her legal team later this week in order to discuss the options available, but had not yet decided whether legal action was appropriate.

Very interesting, I had not heard this before

From above article;
During a bail application last month, it emerged the evidence at that stage against the nurse amounted to her fingerprint being on a saline bag which was damaged by a needle. Her thumb print was also discovered on the bottom of a bottle of antibiotic fluid which contained insulin.

A judge at Manchester Crown Court was told, though, that “many people” had access to both the bag and the fluid, and Ms Leighton had reason to touch them in her role as acting sister.

Mr Richmond said the case later began to unravel when the bag in question – used in saline drips for patients – was later ruled not to have been tampered with. “The police examined the bag properly and concluded it had in fact not been damaged,” he said. “We then had fingerprints of other individuals on other contaminated items but my client’s fingerprints were not on them. The prosecution became untenable then.”

Very interesting, I had not heard this before

From above article;
During a bail application last month, it emerged the evidence at that stage against the nurse amounted to her fingerprint being on a saline bag which was damaged by a needle. Her thumb print was also discovered on the bottom of a bottle of antibiotic fluid which contained insulin.

A judge at Manchester Crown Court was told, though, that “many people” had access to both the bag and the fluid, and Ms Leighton had reason to touch them in her role as acting sister.

Mr Richmond said the case later began to unravel when the bag in question – used in saline drips for patients – was later ruled not to have been tampered with. “The police examined the bag properly and concluded it had in fact not been damaged,” he said. “We then had fingerprints of other individuals on other contaminated items but my client’s fingerprints were not on them. The prosecution became untenable then.”

Interesting point

Is this why Police are saying there is more than one killer, if all contaminated drips don't have her finger prints on them, maybe some do. Sure they will get the right ........in the end

If I was tampering with bags with murderous purposes I would be sure to wear gloves. It's hospital, there are gloves everywhere.

if i was tampering with bags with murderous purposes i would be sure to wear gloves. It's hospital, there are gloves everywhere.
good point but too busy or thinking that perhaps they had the foolproof plan.

Interesting point

Is this why Police are saying there is more than one killer, if all contaminated drips don't have her finger prints on them, maybe some do. Sure they will get the right ........in the end

From the link you quoted
"We then had fingerprints of other individuals on other contaminated items but my client’s fingerprints were not on them."

Her fingerprints were not on the contaminated items

I think right now the odds are long that they will be able to convict someone. With so many fingerprints (and evidently no real game plan to develop other evidence) it will be a crapshoot unless the offender talks and a friend rolls over on him, her, or them. If I'm a nefarious saline poisoner I've got to be liking my odds right now. Sad to say.

from the link you quoted
"we then had fingerprints of other individuals on other contaminated items but my client’s fingerprints were not on them."

her fingerprints were not on the contaminated items

MANY thanks for the bold red I needed that we are talking about latest evidence last night so are you still sure no fingerprints

The above quote to which I referred was reported by the BBC at 1424 this afternoon. So pretty much up to date I think

Although that report you referred to was released today presumably that was why she was released on Friday and when her lawyers were well aware of it.
So what makes this new evidence today.

They are now TODAY, AS QUOTED looking into two suspects one of which is a man and the other, who nows.

Although that report you referred to was released today presumably that was why she was released on Friday and when her lawyers were well aware of it.
So what makes this new evidence today.

They are now TODAY, AS QUOTED looking into two suspects one of which is a man and the other, who nows.

But the two suspects news was written in the Mail and posted yesterday by Wfgodot, so it is as much todays news as what I posted. The solicitor did not go into that much detail on Friday.
I would also have more faith in a solicitor than in a police "source"

"The source added: ‘One of the huge hurdles the investigation has faced so far is that there was virtually no security or checks for access to the medicine stores. Almost anyone could gain access, including nurses, patients and even visitors.
‘Some were taking medicines for personal use or for use at home with their families while others were even selling it on."

Link

Sorry for hogging this thread but if this is true, then it is an outrage and someone should be dismissed for failing at their job. All hospitals have policies and procedures for the safekeeping of medicines and their administration.

Where was their medications management team?
I am appalled

But the two suspects news was written in the Mail and posted yesterday by Wfgodot, so it is as much todays news as what I posted. The solicitor did not go into that much detail on Friday.
I would also have more faith in a solicitor than in a police "source"

I have faith in some defence lawyers and some Police, not one or the other .

Corruption on all sides .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callie679
Back