UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

7th June - twins A&B born. LL not working.

8th June -

9.21am - LL received a text telling her 30wk twins born last night and asking her if she could work that evening.

Mel Taylor was baby A's designated nurse for the day shift.

7.22pm LL arrived for her night-shift handover.

8pm care of baby A handed over to LL.

8.26pm baby A crashed,

8.33pm no heart rate detected. Chest compressions continue.

8.58pm baby A was pronounced dead.

LL had been his nurse for less than an hour.

9th June -

LL's night-shift.

Baby B is in room 1, LL is assigned two babies in room 3.

Not long after B's parents left her cotside and went to bed, LL was in room 1 taking baby B's blood gases. 15 minutes later B collapsed and stopped breathing. She was successfully resuscitated.

11th June -

LL texted asking if any spare shifts were going saying I need to take an ITU baby soon. She was told it's ok to have time out and enjoy the sun.

13th June -

LL back to work. She was assigned two babies in room 3 and this was the shift where she was told repeatedly to look after her very sick baby in room 3. Sophie Ellis had baby C in room 1, with support from Mel Taylor also in room 1.

9.48pm – whatsapp convo -
JJ-K: "You ok? x"
LL: "I just keep thinking about Monday. Feel like I need to be in 1 to overcome it, but E said no x"
JJ-K: "I agree with her, I don't think it will help. You need a break from full-on ITU, you have to let it go or it will eat you up. I know not easy and will take time."
LL: "Not the vented baby necessarily, I just feel I need to be in 1, to get the image out of my head. Mel said the same and E let her go. Being in 3 is eating me up. All I can see is him in 1 x. It probably sounds odd but it's how I feel x"
JJ-K: “Well it’s up to you but don’t think it’s going to help. It sounds very odd and I’d be complete opposite. Can understand E, she’s trying to look after you all.
LL: “Well that’s how I feel from when I’ve experienced it. At the Women’s I’ve needed to go straight back and have a sick baby, otherwise the image of the one you lost never goes. Why send Mel in if she’s trying to look after us? She was in bits over it. x I don’t expect people to understand but I know how I feel and how I have dealt with it before. I’ve voiced that so can’t do any more, but people should respect that. x
JJ-K: “Ok. I think they do respect it but also trying to help you. Why don’t you go in 1 for a bit?”
LL: "Yeah, I have done a couple of meds in 1. I’ll be fine. x Forget I said anything, I’ll be fine, it's part of the job but just don't feel like there is much team spirit tonight x"
JJ-K: "I am not going to forget but just think you're way too hard on yourself. It is part of the job but the worst part but I do believe it makes us stronger people."
LL: Unfortunately I’ve seen my fair share at the Women’s but you are supported differently and here it’s like people want to tell you how to think/feel. Anyway, onwards and upwards. X
JJ-K: A lot of girls say Women’s don’t support and tell them to get on with it. I think they don’t mean to tell you though, and we’re over-caring sometimes.
11.09pm
LL: Women’s can be awful but I learnt hard way that you have to speak up to get support. I lost a baby one day and few hours later was given another dying baby just born in the same cot space. Girls there said it was important to overcome the image. It was awful but by end of day I realised they were right. It’s just different here. X Anyway forget it. I can only talk about it properly with those who knew him and Mel not interested so I’ll overcome it myself. You get some sleep. x

11.15pm - baby C collapsed - while LL was alone with him. He could not be revived. She told his mother she thought he was going to die and asked if she wanted to call a priest.

LL had to be told repeatedly to come out of the family room, and the father says she asked them to put the baby in the ventilated basket while he was still alive.

(whatsapp convo updated from the latest podcast)
The Trial of Lucy Letby: Episode 29, Arrested

8th June -

9.21am - LL received a text telling her 30wk twins born last night and asking her if she could work that evening.

8.26pm baby A crashed,

9th June -

LL's night-shift.

Not long after B's parents left her cotside and went to bed, LL was in room 1 taking baby B's blood gases. 15 minutes later B collapsed and stopped breathing. She was successfully resuscitated.

11th June -

LL texted asking if any spare shifts were going saying I need to take an ITU baby soon. She was told it's ok to have time out and enjoy the sun.

13th June -

LL back to work. She was assigned two babies in room 3 and this was the shift where she was told repeatedly to look after her very sick baby in room 3. Sophie Ellis had baby C in room 1, with support from Mel Taylor also in room 1.

LL: "I just keep thinking about Monday. Feel like I need to be in 1 to overcome it, but E said no x"
JJ-K: "I agree with her, I don't think it will help. You need a break from full-on ITU, you have to let it go or it will eat you up. I know not easy and will take time."
LL: "Not the vented baby necessarily, I just feel I need to be in 1, to get the image out of my head. Mel said the same and E let her go. Being in 3 is eating me up. All I can see is him in 1 x. It probably sounds odd but it's how I feel x"
JJ-K: “Well it’s up to you but don’t think it’s going to help. It sounds very odd and I’d be complete opposite. Can understand E, she’s trying to look after you all.
LL: “Well that’s how I feel from when I’ve experienced it. At the Women’s I’ve needed to go straight back and have a sick baby, otherwise the image of the one you lost never goes. Why send Mel in if she’s trying to look after us? She was in bits over it. x I don’t expect people to understand but I know how I feel and how I have dealt with it before. I’ve voiced that so can’t do any more, but people should respect that. x
JJ-K: “Ok. I think they do respect it but also trying to help you. Why don’t you go in 1 for a bit?”
LL: "Yeah, I have done a couple of meds in 1. I’ll be fine. x Forget I said anything, I’ll be fine, it's part of the job but just don't feel like there is much team spirit tonight x"
JJ-K: "I am not going to forget but just think you're way too hard on yourself. It is part of the job but the worst part but I do believe it makes us stronger people."
LL: Unfortunately I’ve seen my fair share at the Women’s but you are supported differently and here it’s like people want to tell you how to think/feel. Anyway, onwards and upwards. X
JJ-K: A lot of girls say Women’s don’t support and tell them to get on with it. I think they don’t mean to tell you though, and we’re over-caring sometimes.
11.09pm
LL: Women’s can be awful but I learnt hard way that you have to speak up to get support. I lost a baby one day and few hours later was given another dying baby just born in the same cot space. Girls there said it was important to overcome the image. It was awful but by end of day I realised they were right. It’s just different here. X Anyway forget it. I can only talk about it properly with those who knew him and Mel not interested so I’ll overcome it myself. You get some sleep. x

11.15pm - baby C collapsed - while LL was alone with him. He could not be revived. She told his mother she thought he was going to die and asked if she wanted to call a priest.

LL had to be told repeatedly to come out of the family room, and the father says she asked them to put the baby in the ventilated basket while he was still alive.

So she didn't "know" the baby ...I do wonder if saying that was more a polite way of saying to JJK ... I'm not interested in your thoughts as they do not fit with what I want

8th June -

8.26pm baby A crashed,

9th June -

LL's night-shift.

11th June -

13th June -

11.09pm

"Not the vented baby necessarily, I just feel I need to be in 1, to get the image out of my head. Mel said the same and E let her go.

I wonder if Mel Taylor really did say the same? Was Mel there for Baby B's collapse the previous night too? It does sound like LL may have been jealous that Mel was allowed in room 1 when she wasn't . I know it's been pondered before whether "Not good enough" is referring to not being considered good enough to go in room 1 with the sickest babies. Food for thought. IMO

All JMO

"Not the vented baby necessarily, I just feel I need to be in 1, to get the image out of my head. Mel said the same and E let her go.

I wonder if Mel Taylor really did say the same? Was Mel there for Baby B's collapse the previous night too? It does sound like LL may have been jealous that Mel was allowed in room 1 when she wasn't . I know it's been pondered before whether "Not good enough" is referring to not being considered good enough to go in room 1 with the sickest babies. Food for thought. IMO

All JMO
No Mel wasn't on shift the night of baby B, she was on day shift on the day of baby A and wasn't working the next day.

Last week we heard how officers asked the nurse if she thought her presence during the collapse of a number babies on the Countess of Chester's neonatal unit was just "bad luck" - she said "yes".
10:18 AM · Apr 25, 2023

In one interview a detective asked her: “What were you thinking during that period?” Letby replied: “That it was a shock to have that many deaths.” The detective said: “It must have been devastating.” “Yes,” replied Letby
10:27 AM · Apr 25, 2023

Ms Letby denies murdering seven babies and attempting to murder 10 others between 2015 and 2016.
10:28 AM · Apr 25, 2023

We'll be hearing interviews in relation to Child I first today - a baby girl who Ms Letby allegedly murdered on 23 October 2015
10:35 AM · Apr 25, 2023

Cheshire Police detective Danielle Stonier is reading Ms Letby's responses, while prosecutor Philip Astbury is reading the questions asked. We're currently hearing about Child I's first (of four) collapses on 30 September. Ms Letby was the infant's designated nurse
10:44 AM · Apr 25, 2023

Last edited:
Ms Letby said she was not 'unduly concerned' about Child I at the start of her day shift. At around 15:00 Ms Letby noted that Child I appeared mottled in colour with a distended abdomen. At around 16:30 an emergency crash call went out as her heart rate had dropped
10:46 AM · Apr 25, 2023

Ms Letby told detectives she could not recall the specifics of this incident. She is then asked about the baby's second collapse on 12/13 October. Ms Letby recalls this incident, 'oh yes, this was when she was found apnoeic in her cot at night', she said
10:52 AM · Apr 25, 2023

She told detectives she and a nursing colleague found Child I 'gasping' for breath - she gave rescue breaths via neopuff and doctors were called to assist
10:53 AM · Apr 25, 2023

A few people have mentioned that they question how intelligent the defendant is. I’m still finding that difficult to gauge but I haven’t seen anything to suggest anything way above average. Seemingly not smart enough to cotton on to the suspicion about her.

Detectives found the above image on Ms Letby's phone. She was asked why she took a pic of the card, she said it was 'upsetting losing (Child I) and I think it was nice to remember the kind words I shared with that family'
11:10 AM · Apr 25, 2023

She also said she 'often takes pictures of any cards I send even birthday cards'. She said this was the first and only card she had sent to a family of a baby she had treated
11:10 AM · Apr 25, 2023

A few people have mentioned that they question how intelligent the defendant is. I’m still finding that difficult to gauge but I haven’t seen anything to suggest anything way above average. Seemingly not smart enough to cotton on to the suspicion about her.
I agree. I think she seems very average in every way. It's why this is all so hard to believe I guess. JMO.

If she's guilty, I think she had a cunning-like smartness, an opportunist with the abilty to manipulate and deceive too.

If guilty, she was very clever to take full advantage of the existing weaknesses and conditions that the babies had, with the methods she used. And also took full advantage of very small windows of opportunity, like colleagues going on break, parents going for food, colleagues being in the same room but distracted by other babies, or updating notes on the computer.

And if guilty, she was also clever to target babies other than her own at times, and used methods that would implicate nurses on the next shift, when it was pointed out that she needed a break from the collpases being on her shift!.

Not cottoning on to the suspicion about her could be down to arrogance not lack of intelligence.

All JMO, if guilty etc.

Ms Letby is asked about the incident on 12/13 October. Her colleague Ashleigh Hudson told police that she saw Ms Letby was stood in the doorway of the nursery where Child I was in the early hours and commented that she looked pale.
11:16 AM · Apr 25, 2023

Nurse Hudson turned on the light and saw that Child I appeared at the point of dying and was not breathing. Detectives asked Ms Letby if she 'knew she was looking pale because you just attacked her?' 'No', Ms Letby said
11:16 AM · Apr 25, 2023

Detectives point out that Ms Letby had carried out Facebook searches for the family of Child I seven months after her death. She is asked why she did this, she told detectives she did not remember carrying out the searches
11:19 AM · Apr 25, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members