UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a grimly fascinating case. I'm amazed she's taken the stand but I'm glad she has - it will give the jury a lot more confidence in their decision having heard from her directly, I think. They've got such a mountain of evidence to consider, but having her in front of them actually responding to questions being put to her is going to give them a a much clearer lens to view it all through.

I think he was basically responding to her saying that they were spread over a number of years. So he's saying look even if they were spread over 5 years that would still be around 50 per year. JMO
From the whole conversation I took it to mean the dates of them encompassed five years.

Might be wrong on that, though.

Exactly. I can't believe there are pages and pages even discussing it (I say as I add to the discussion lol) And as for whether her house was a "safe space" if that were even a thing, or if it was OK cos she lived alone... well, we already know of various people who've been to her house, including her dad, Doc Choc and whoever went to her housewarming party..
I can't believe there are so many pages discussing it either, when there was evidence yesterday about LL whispering in her nurse colleague's ear "air embolism" for baby O.

Dan deserves the Gold Star award for being the only journo, I've seen, to report on it.

Dan O'Donoghue :

Mr Myers is taking the court back through messages between Ms Letby and colleagues sent in late June 2016...

In one message exchange with a nursing colleague, the pair are discussing that there had been an issue with Child O's UVC line. It states in the messages that there was a port left open on the line

Ms Letby said in those messages 'I thought it's a massive infection risk and risk of air embolism, don't know how long it had been like that'

Mr Myers asks if knowing about air embolism was unusual - she says no and that it is 'part of training' and that nurses 'would be expected' to be aware of the dangers of air embolism

I wonder why she didn't mention it to doc choc.

text details from podcast ep.28 - The Trial of Lucy Letby, Episode 28: Off the ward - The Mail

Jun 25th

Doc: No more doubt - it's not you, it's the babies. I don't know what happened to [Child O] and [Child P], and accept that the pm may not give any useful answers. I do wonder if they may have had adenovirus - it's terrible in neonates / perinates. [Child Q] is different. His behaviour is more bacterial (tachy, temp, reduced uo) I wouldn't be surprised if his bc comes back positive.

Jul 6th

Doc: You need to keep this to yourself. The meeting this afternoon looked at everything with Baby O & Baby P from birth onwards. We reviewed everything. Room / meds / medical reviews and actions. We looked at all documentation med & nur. If you've any doubt about how good you are at your job - stop now. The documentation was perfect, everybody commented about the appropriateness of your request for a review of Baby O following vomit. Your documentation of the resus / incubation / drugs was faultless. There is absolutely nothing for you to worry about. Please don't.

LL: Ok I really appreciate you telling me - it won't go any further. I was one member of a huge team effort, but you know I've been carrying the worry of the 'what if I wasn't enough' - it's reassuring to hear that it doesn't appear that anything could have been done differently, or that I didn't act on or do something I should have. Thank you.

Doc: There was a liver capsule haemorrhage in baby O. It’s not considered by SB and A to be significant. There will be an inquest. We may have to attend.

LL: Would he have died from that?

Doc: I don’t think so. He collapsed. The liver on the first x-ray looked normal and looked abnormal on the second x-ray. But CPR was needed for something. It doesn’t explain why liver changed appearance.

LL: Ok.

Doc: I wouldn’t have wanted anyone else but you to be looking after baby O or baby P. We do work well together.

LL: It's a bit of a worry if it's going that far. Do you think I'll be involved?

And I wonder why Mr Myers didn't bring up her knowledge of the problem with the UVC in her evidence for baby O?

I suppose it could be because her defence doesn't accept the expert's opinions of air embolism for baby O, but it still seems remiss not to talk about what happened with the port being seen open.

Was LL preparing the ground, in a low-key kind of way, for air embolism to come back from the post-mortem I wonder.

JMO

I can't believe there are so many pages discussing it either, when there was evidence yesterday about LL whispering in her nurse colleague's ear "air embolism" for baby O.

Dan deserves the Gold Star award for being the only journo, I've seen, to report on it.

Dan O'Donoghue :

Mr Myers is taking the court back through messages between Ms Letby and colleagues sent in late June 2016...

In one message exchange with a nursing colleague, the pair are discussing that there had been an issue with Child O's UVC line. It states in the messages that there was a port left open on the line

Ms Letby said in those messages 'I thought it's a massive infection risk and risk of air embolism, don't know how long it had been like that'

Mr Myers asks if knowing about air embolism was unusual - she says no and that it is 'part of training' and that nurses 'would be expected' to be aware of the dangers of air embolism

I wonder why she didn't mention it to doc choc.

text details from podcast ep.28 - The Trial of Lucy Letby, Episode 28: Off the ward - The Mail

Jun 25th

Doc: No more doubt - it's not you, it's the babies. I don't know what happened to [Child O] and [Child P], and accept that the pm may not give any useful answers. I do wonder if they may have had adenovirus - it's terrible in neonates / perinates. [Child Q] is different. His behaviour is more bacterial (tachy, temp, reduced uo) I wouldn't be surprised if his bc comes back positive.

Jul 6th

Doc: You need to keep this to yourself. The meeting this afternoon looked at everything with Baby O & Baby P from birth onwards. We reviewed everything. Room / meds / medical reviews and actions. We looked at all documentation med & nur. If you've any doubt about how good you are at your job - stop now. The documentation was perfect, everybody commented about the appropriateness of your request for a review of Baby O following vomit. Your documentation of the resus / incubation / drugs was faultless. There is absolutely nothing for you to worry about. Please don't.

LL: Ok I really appreciate you telling me - it won't go any further. I was one member of a huge team effort, but you know I've been carrying the worry of the 'what if I wasn't enough' - it's reassuring to hear that it doesn't appear that anything could have been done differently, or that I didn't act on or do something I should have. Thank you.

Doc: There was a liver capsule haemorrhage in baby O. It’s not considered by SB and A to be significant. There will be an inquest. We may have to attend.

LL: Would he have died from that?

Doc: I don’t think so. He collapsed. The liver on the first x-ray looked normal and looked abnormal on the second x-ray. But CPR was needed for something. It doesn’t explain why liver changed appearance.

LL: Ok.

Doc: I wouldn’t have wanted anyone else but you to be looking after baby O or baby P. We do work well together.

LL: It's a bit of a worry if it's going that far. Do you think I'll be involved?

And I wonder why Mr Myers didn't bring up her knowledge of the problem with the UVC in her evidence for baby O?

I suppose it could be because her defence doesn't accept the expert's opinions of air embolism for baby O, but it still seems remiss not to talk about what happened with the port being seen open.

Was LL preparing the ground, in a low-key kind of way, for air embolism to come back from the post-mortem I wonder.

JMO
Yes LL mentioning that she was worried about air embolism AND it happening via a port (which is exactly the method Dr Evans believes she used to allow air to "trickle" in) was very interesting! Though he mentioned it in relation to the port of an IV line and she mentioned it in relation to the port of an UVC line.

9:28am

Note: A technical issue with some of the earlier live blogs, which meant not all the posts were showing, has now been resolved. Apologies for the inconvenience.

10:22am

The trial is expected to resume at 10.30am.

10:31am

The judge, Mr Justice James Goss, has entered the courtroom.
Lucy Letby will continue to be cross-examined by Nicholas Johnson KC, for the prosecution.

Letby questioned on denial that colleague saw her standing over baby's cot​

Nick Johnson KC, for the prosecution, puts to Lucy Letby that she suggested a doctor, who recalled seeing the defendant standing over Child K's cot as she desaturated in February 2016, was not telling the truth in court.
"Did you in police interviews ever suggest that [the doctor] is a liar who invented seeing you standing over Child K?"
Letby says she didn't.
"When was the first time you said that, Lucy Letby?" he asks, to which the defendant says she wouldn't know a definitive date.
"I'm going to suggest a date to you - yesterday."
Mr Johnson adds: "I am going to suggest to you that when [the doctor] was cross examined by [defence barrister Ben Myers KC] on your behalf, that suggestion was never made."

This is a clearer version of the exchange about Dr J ...apologies if already posted

8m ago10:28

Coming up this morning​

As we mentioned, Lucy Letby's cross-examination began yesterday afternoon and enters its first full day today.
Nick Johnson KC, for the prosecution, is questioning the neonatal nurse, who is giving evidence for the sixth day.
Throughout her questioning Letby has remained seated at a table flanked by two guards, with court documents and an iPad in front of her at various points.
She has largely spoken calmly, though has become emotional at times.

3m ago10:33

Letby's cross-examination back under way​

Prosecutor Nick Johnson KC is on his feet to continue his cross-examination of Lucy Letby.
The defendant is wearing a black striped suit and has her hair down.
Mr Justice James Goss, the judge in this trial, is overseeing proceedings.
Letby's parents, Susan and John, are sat in the public gallery behind her.

Dan O'Donoghue

@MrDanDonoghue

Nurse Lucy Letby will be in the witness box for the sixth day at Manchester Crown Court this morning - with her defence evidence now complete, Nick Johnson KC will launch into his cross examination. Ms Letby is accused of murdering 7 babies and attempting to kill 10 others
https://twitter.com/MrDanDonoghue/status/1659125588953559042/photo/1
Mr Johnson had around 20minutes with Ms Letby yesterday. His opening question was: 'Is there any reason why you cry when you talk about yourself and do not cry when you talk about the dead and seriously injured children?'

Ms Letby responded: 'I have cried when talking about some of the babies'. The nurse denies all charges against her

Everyone is now present in court, Mr Johnson has just got to his feet. He kicks off by asking Ms Letby 'if there's anything you said during course of my questioning (yesterday) to you that you have thought about over night and want to modify any of the answers you have given'

Ms Letby says 'no'. Mr Johnson then brings discussion to handover sheets, he asks her when she was a student at the Countess of Chester if she was given handover sheets - she says 'yes' on some placements

Letby's cross-examination back under way​

Prosecutor Nick Johnson KC is on his feet to continue his cross-examination of Lucy Letby.
The defendant is wearing a black striped suit and has her hair down.
Mr Justice James Goss, the judge in this trial, is overseeing proceedings.
Letby's parents, Susan and John, are sat in the public gallery behind her.

10:39am

Mr Johnson asks if Lucy Letby wishes to change any of her answers from yesterday. Letby: "No."
Mr Johnson asks if handover sheets were handed out to student nurses.
Letby said she would have handover sheets as a student nurse at some placements, but in the neonatal unit she cannot recall specifically. She tells the court it was not standard practice at the neonatal unit to hand out handover sheets to student nurses "for the time we are talking about".
Mr Johnson says one of the handover sheets, dated June 1, 2010, was in a keep-sake box with roses on the box, when Letby was a student nurse [Letby having started full-time employment at the hospital on January 2, 2012]. Letby says she cannot recall it.
Mr Johnson asks what is "unusual" about the handover sheet, and how it differs from the others.
Letby is unsure what Mr Johnson means.
Mr Johnson: "It is in pristine condition."
Letby: "It's the original?"
Mr Johnson: "Yes."
Letby: "Ok."

At risk of banging on about the handover sheets.. I was just looking for some clarification as I’m struggling with the excerpt of questioning we have. When he says “50, over 5 years” (paraphrasing and defo not a direct quote!) is he saying the 250+ are over a longer period of time and that 50 were in a 5 year period? Because that’s 10 sheets a year and suddenly that looks less awful?

Or is that 40 in 18 months and 10 in the rest of the 3 1/2 years?

I’m not really sure where the 50 in 5 years comes from basically!

Edited to add: while 10 a year sounds less awful, it’s still imo a BAD choice to store handover sheets, and certainly to the level she did
He means that 250 were collected over 5 years. As she qualified in 2012 and worked until 2016 (so it's 4 and a bit years). So divide 250 by 5 and you get approximately 50 taken a year. I think that's what he meant.

10:37

The prosecution begins questioning Letby​

ee1f1e45-2687-4090-816e-cd3f8b8e263c.jpg

Judith Moritz
Inside the courtroom
This is Lucy Letby's first full day of prosecution cross examination. She's being questioned by Nick Johnson KC who's leading the prosecution team of 3 barristers.
He begins by asking her if she wants to modify any of the answers which she gave to him yesterday. She says she does not.
Nick Johnson KC "are you doing your best to tell your truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth Lucy Letby?" She answers "yes"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pencat