GUILTY UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, murder of babies, 7 Guilty of murder verdicts; 7 Guilty of attempted murder; 2 Not Guilty of attempted; 6 hung re attempted #31

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I don't understand about LL's arrest, the one we just saw in the video.

So IIRC this is the final time she was arrested and detained by the police and she was taken into custody from her parents' home, interviewed, and then charged.

But on what possible legal grounds had she been previously released without charge to her parents' home? She wasn't on bail as she wasn't charged. Can you be bailed pending charges with living conditions put on that? It sounds legally unlikely to me.

Something I don't understand about LL's arrest, the one we just saw in the video.

So IIRC this is the final time she was arrested and detained by the police and she was taken into custody from her parents' home, interviewed, and then charged.

But on what possible legal grounds had she been previously released without charge to her parents' home? She wasn't on bail as she wasn't charged. Can you be bailed pending charges with living conditions put on that? It sounds legally unlikely to me.
It was her first ever arrest in 2018.

It was the first time. That was her house and that's what she was confirmed to be wearing on that date. The video date was 3rd July as well.

She was on police bail which is done when investigations are ongoing. She wasn't charged until November 2020.

Deary me. Somebody at the Daily Mirror will be getting a rollicking!

Kudos to the Websleuthers who immediately noted that the DM should NOT have done that, and that it would be deleted/made private.

On the money as ever.
We saw police interviews during the Becky Watts murder trial so it's not that they can't publish them at all before a verdict, but to release them now is interesting. I wonder if the press have an agreed time to release them today and the Mirror jumped the gun.

We saw police interviews during the Becky Watts murder trial so it's not that they can't publish them at all before a verdict, but to release them now is interesting. I wonder if the press have an agreed time to release them today and the Mirror jumped the gun.

They wouldn't release an arrest video of someone who was found not guilty, especially in their own home. I can envisage all manner of Human Rights claims for something like that.

Is it normal for police to release this sort of information to the papers before a verdict? I’ve always seen things crop up within a few minutes of a guilty verdict, and assumed the police released it to the media as soon as the verdict was delivered, and the media were ready and waiting for it.

I’m a bit uneasy if it transpires they’re handing out this sort of footage before deliberations have even concluded.

With things like the notes, it was the judge who decided they could be shared with the media and public (I thought).

They wouldn't release an arrest video of someone who was found not guilty, especially in their own home. I can envisage all manner of Human Rights claims for something like that.
They can release arrest footage during a trial. This was released before Dawn Lewis was found guilty.

Is it normal for police to release this sort of information to the papers before a verdict? I’ve always seen things crop up within a few minutes of a guilty verdict, and assumed the police released it to the media as soon as the verdict was delivered, and the media were ready and waiting for it.

I’m a bit uneasy if it transpires they’re handing out this sort of footage before deliberations have even concluded.

With things like the notes, it was the judge who decided they could be shared with the media and public (I thought).
Yes, the police send media outlets footage/evidence which is under embargo and only to be used in the event of a guilty verdict

I assume they release it on very strict grounds that it's not to be published until after the verdict is declared and that if the verdict is 'not guilty' then it's destroyed and not shared?

That is just my vivid imagination.

I also imagine that the news agencies reach out to the police requesting such material in advance of verdicts so they can prepare their stories. In this regard they would probably have to make an argument that a verdict is imminent and likely to be within the next few days so they need to prepare for publication. However, how far in advance would they need to apply for footage? They could have asked weeks ago on the grounds that a verdict is imminent (it wasn't!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member