GUILTY UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, murder of babies, 7 Guilty of murder verdicts; 7 Guilty of attempted murder; 2 Not Guilty of attempted; 6 hung re attempted #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
CEO version of the coffee

HSJ understands the consultants have alleged that Letby was able to develop relationships with senior trust executives whilst working in the patient safety team, which may have clouded their judgement.

The consultants have also claimed Mr Chambers at one point met Letby in a café. Mr Chambers said his only meetings with Letby were formal, but said there was one occasion when “she happened to be in the same coffee shop I was in with some senior colleagues…We said nothing other than hello. It is wrong to characterise such a brief and chance encounter as inappropriate”.

CEO version of the coffee

HSJ understands the consultants have alleged that Letby was able to develop relationships with senior trust executives whilst working in the patient safety team, which may have clouded their judgement.

The consultants have also claimed Mr Chambers at one point met Letby in a café. Mr Chambers said his only meetings with Letby were formal, but said there was one occasion when “she happened to be in the same coffee shop I was in with some senior colleagues…We said nothing other than hello. It is wrong to characterise such a brief and chance encounter as inappropriate”.

If you go to the bottom of the report there is a downloadable link with detailed responses from Tony Chambers.

That download of his responses states that "Two babies died from synthetic insulin...." - no they didn't!
It does seem that Tony was quite 'out of touch' ;)
in the download link he was quoted as saying

"In February 2016 there was a comprehensive CQC inspection at the hospital, including paediatrics and neonates. I am not aware that the consultants escalated any concerns with the CQC inspection team; nothing was reported to me at the time, or in any post-inspection feedback or report."

However, Eraine Powell was involved in this review together with Dr breary and LL's presence was identified as a problem. So
This can only mean that Eraine Powell either did not escalate to Tony Chambers, or she escalated via the medical director who did not relay to Tony, or Tony is not being honest about what he knew.

Senior hospital executive ignored warnings about killer Lucy Letby

Ian Harvey, medical director he claims that he was was pushing for more action.

“As medical director, I was determined to keep the baby unit safe and support our staff. I wanted the reviews and investigations carried out, so that we could tell the parents what had happened to their children. I believe there should be an inquiry that looks at all events leading up to this trial and I will help it in whatever way I can.”

Revealed: How trust execs resisted concerns over Letby

Where does the buck stop? Sounds to me like there was a gang of four, and that gang of four was at the top and Letby could have even been in with the top crowd.

"Inside the sprawling investigation

When a brown envelope landed on Detective Superintendent Paul Hughes' desk, back in May 2017, he never imagined that, more than six years later, it would lead to the conviction of Britain's most prolific child serial killer."

Dr A, who is married, told the court he had been the subject of unrequited affection from Letby and said his wife had also been targeted by her on social media.

He denied being in a relationship with the nurse, despite the court hearing they had spent hours messaging one another late at night and had even taken a trip to London together.

It was the prosecution’s claim that she had attacked babies because she enjoyed the drama of being in a crisis situation with him.

He said he had suffered from severe anxiety for four years and believed he would struggle to give clear and accurate answers in court if his true identity was revealed.

Not quite unrequited , seeing as he was messaging her constantly and meeting up with her! I wonder what he means when he says she ‘targeted’ his wife on social media.

Dr A, who is married, told the court he had been the subject of unrequited affection from Letby and said his wife had also been targeted by her on social media.

He denied being in a relationship with the nurse, despite the court hearing they had spent hours messaging one another late at night and had even taken a trip to London together.

It was the prosecution’s claim that she had attacked babies because she enjoyed the drama of being in a crisis situation with him.

He said he had suffered from severe anxiety for four years and believed he would struggle to give clear and accurate answers in court if his true identity was revealed.

Not quite unrequited , seeing as he was messaging her constantly and meeting up with her! I wonder what he means when he says she ‘targeted’ his wife on social media.
Very Interesting

This bit is interesting too: “A handwritten note found after her arrest read: “My best friend. Love. I loved you and I think you knew that. I wanted you to stand by me but you didn’t.”

Seems it didn’t go past the flirtation stage… or at least they never discussed her feelings?

Unrequited? Yea right .. his wife can't be that blind now surely

I "imagine" him to be a ..plain geeky middle age man who had been flattered and had his ego stroked after 20 years of marriage and possibly little female attention in his life ...JMO

I very much agree with the sentiments expressed in this article. I was most surprised at the number of reporting restrictions in place for this trial.

My thoughts are with the Jury members who must’ve endured a living hell with this case. They will never be the same. Hope all their future medical and counselling sessions etc will be paid for to help them in gaining back their lives.

Letby is a destroyer of so many lives. I don’t care about her excuses or justifications. Plain evil and no one cares about her. We care about the people left in her trail of destruction.

Just catching up here! First, I'm so relieved she has been found GUILTY of many of the charges! I had been convinced of her guilt very early on and thought the prosecution made a very strong case. Kudos to them and the jury for the incredible effort put forth on behalf of those tiny babies and their parents.

As predicted, the verdicts came in while I was away in a remote location with limited cellular service! So y'all can thank me for that, lol.

Second, although we've been getting hints of the coverup and protection of Letby throughout the case, the BBC article about the extent of this absolute failure to act in the interest of the most vulnerable patients by management was absolutely devastating and infuriating in its depth and breadth. If I, as a remote observer, can feel so shocked and angered by it, I can only imagine how the consultants felt throughout the ordeal and how the parents of the babies feel about it now finding out these details.

I hope those who were most egregious in this regard, including Karen Rees, are held criminally responsible. I doubt they will be or if it's even possible, but if not, I hope they face a massive wrongful death lawsuit by the parents of the last two babies whose deaths were absolutely preventable.

I thought this was interesting too in that coverup:

I’d really like to know the full extent of her father’s involvement in all this once she was suspended.It very much sounded like he was directing proceedings to the point where he was directly threatening consultants and befriending the management team of her hospital. As Letby was an adult, why was her father allowed such a role in the process, when a union representative would have been appropriate? It seems as though everyone was infantilising her, despite the fact she was old enough to buy her own property and have an affair with a married man.Would the trust have accepted such extensive parental involvement for someone male, non English or working class, especially as legally, they didn’t have to?

I too was struck by her fathers involvement and level of influence, all the way up to the CEO. Was her father an influential individual in government, politics or elsewhere? In the BBC article it says:

"Dr Brearey says the CEO told them he had spent a lot of time with Letby and her father and had apologised to them, saying Letby had done nothing wrong. Mr Chambers denies saying Letby had done nothing wrong. He said he was paraphrasing her father.

According to the doctor's account, the CEO also insisted the consultants apologise to Letby and warned them that a line had been drawn and there would be "consequences" if they crossed it."

I know I'm behind, but I'm absolutely flabbergasted by this.

Nah - total player who's been chasing nurses for years. Usually successfully. You can spot the type a mile off.
I actually feel for him a bit. What he did behind his wife's back was obviously very naughty but a lot of men do it. He must feel he was violated by letby, used for information.
Also, with us now having a clearer idea on the positioning of senior and middle nursing management, it makes you wonder which camps Dr choc was in with his colleagues whilst all this was unfolding. I still get get past the idea that LL said in court she got on with all the drs. What a liar, they were writing you letters of apology, much to their disgust!!

intresting little iscusion on the case here
If of course this ever transpires to be a miscarriage of justice then that would be an utter travesty. As it stands, I’m accepting of the jury’s verdicts.

Having said that, my views on the hospital remain entirely unchanged, in that it was an absolute disgrace. Disgusting: both figuratively in its culture and failure to provide adequate care; and literally in its failure to prevent actual sewage from leaking into its units. I also cannot bring myself to hold the consultants as ‘heroes’. I will never get past the fact that suspicions were raised at Baby D, and things were able to continue to the point of Baby Q. Were I in a situation that I suspected anyone of deliberately harming a child, I’d be down the police station in a heartbeat. I would not avoid whistleblowing because I was worried I’d be thrown under the bus, my conscience would never allow me to go along with a cover up. All throughout this, people have defended the hospital saying things like “you’d never suspect a fellow member of staff of harming babies, you’d never make an allegation without evidence”. Sorry, but I would. I would absolutely categorically go to the police if I thought anyone, friend, family member, colleague, was murdering children.

The fact this case was based entirely on circumstantial evidence, the fact that there were so many loose threads and unanswered questions. Missing post mortems, missing datix reports, missing notes about rashes, missing insulin poisoning despite it being flagged (which by the way Brearey said on panorama last night the lab didn’t flag, when we all know it did). That is the fault of the hospital. Failing in its oversight. Failing in its management. Failing in its ability to investigate.

It will forever remain the case that these deaths were considered SO unexpected and unexplained. And yet nothing was done about it until so many more precious lives were lost. On the contrary, the hospital enabled it.

Oops! Double post deleted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members