UK UK - Scotland. Kevin McGuire, 27, was last seen when he left his home in in Stronachlachar near Aberfoyle, Perthshire, on December 31, 1994.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

RobinCAL

Reaction score

After arguing with his wife Lisa Haney, then 24, he jumped into his green Saab and drove off, but was never seen again.

Neither Kevin, from Ballieston, Glasgow, or his car has ever been found and it has created one the country's longest running missing persons cases.

He is not thought to have had any mental health issues or money concerns when he went missing - and only married Lisa five months prior.

His family have now launched a fresh search to find him in the nearby waters from his home, as reported by the Daily Record.

Two articles from the Herald Scotland, one from 6 Feb 1998 and another from 29 Nov 2002 provide more background.

If you read just one, I recommend the 1998 one, since the majority of it is Lisa's own words. The 2002 article just repeats part of it in the context of Lisa's petition to have her husband declared dead.

Writing about the argument, Lisa says:

"After a short, but heated argument about going to someone else's house to see in the New Year 1995, my husband of five months, Kevin McGuire, drove away from our new home - which Kevin was loaned as part of his job - in the remote village of Stronachlachar, bringing an abrupt end to four years of planning our life together. He was 27, I was just 24.

With the gift of hindsight I can see that Kevin was worried about something, and clearly remember asking him the night before his disappearance, ''You look troubled, what's wrong?'' only to be assured by him that he wasn't troubled about anything.

I'm sure the argument is not the reason Kevin disappeared."

Still, I wish we knew more about that argument. Maybe it wasn't a reason, but it could've been a trigger.

Lisa goes on to cite some "rumours and thoughts that have been going through my head for the last three years:"

• He's got another woman.
• He's done a big business deal and run off with the money.
• He's joined the IRA [Irish Republican Army].
• He's gone to live a gay life with his German boss.
• He's contracted Aids and couldn't tell me.
• He's been taken in by a cult movement.
• He had second thoughts about our move to Loch Katrine.
• He didn't want to be married any more.
• Or was he simply suffering from stress?

I can't tell which thoughts are just wacky stuff people have said to her (like "the cult" maybe?), or if she's actually serious about any of them.

And if she is serious about any of them, did something happen in the past which now makes sense to her only in hindsight? Mysterious calls or letters from unidentified individuals? Did he spend too much time with his "German boss?" Was the boss questioned? What about his finances? I assume that, to be declared dead, there had to be no activity in his bank account after the disappearance. But what about unexplained recent withdrawals? Unexplained charges on his credit cards?

Although Lisa reveals that Kevin "left his carpentry tools and passport behind," she declares that "I don't believe that Kevin is dead. I never have. The police searches that were done in the Trossachs and lochs which surround our home were extensive, but inconclusive." Eventually though "I began to accept that the unthinkable had happened. That it had been a conscious decision to walk out and leave me."

Thankyou for this thread. British version of Adventures With Purpose called Beneath The Surface are presently looking for a Kevin’s vehicle.

Volunteer divers have started searching lochs in a bid to find a car driven by a man missing for nearly 30 years.

Kevin McGuire disappeared from Stronachlachar, in the Trossachs, on December 31, 1994.

He was last seen in a metallic green Saab, but neither he nor his car have been found.

“There’s been no new evidence, there’s been no one coming forward, there’s been no sightings, nothing – it’s like he just vanished,” his sister Sharon Jarvin told STV News.

A voluntary underwater sonar search and recovery team from Lancashire contacted the family to offer their expertise.

The team will search five lochs.
STV News
The team will search five lochs.
Previous hunts have been based on the theory Kevin – who was 27 when he was last seen – was involved in a road accident and crashed into water.

Over the course of three weekends, the team will search for his car in five lochs – Katrine, Arklet, Chon, Ard and Inversnaid Pier on Loch Lomond.

The search will be focused on areas near the shoreline, as a vehicle can only float for between two and ten minutes.

Kevin’s sister and other family members joined the Beneath the Surface team as they carried out the first search in Loch Chon.

Ms Jarvin hopes the family will get “closure” if his car is found.

“You never think it’s going to happen to your own family and when it does come to your doorstep, you don’t know how to feel,” she said.

“It was New Year’s day [the day after he was last seen] when you’re supposed to be celebrating with your family, but we realised Kevin had gone and there’s a pit in your stomach that doesn’t go away.”

Beneath the Surface has been operating for more than a year on missing persons cases across the UK.

The team uses a transducer sensor which extends off the side of the boat, about a foot or two below the water.

Philip Jones, from the volunteer team, said: “We tend to scan about 20-25 metres for a vehicle, obviously that depends on the depth, and then we’re able to see the bottom.

Volunteer divers from Beneath the Surface will spend three weekends searching for Kevin's car.
STV News
Volunteer divers from Beneath the Surface will spend three weekends searching for Kevin’s car.
“The weather might be a bit against us with the wind, because the higher the chop, the more the boat rocks and the sensor gets a bit skew-whiff and we lose our imagery.”

Once something they think might be a car is located, the team drops a magnet down to confirm they’ve discovered metal.

Two divers then head into the water to take a closer look.

Dave Davies, a diver, said: “You get a rough idea from the sonar of what’s there, but until you actually touch it and see it, you can’t guarantee whether it’s a car or a block of wood.”

DBM

Wrong place to post!

I could believe he disappeared to start a new life etc. if his car has been left behind, but the fact his car is still missing after nearly 30 years, indicates to me that he and his car are sadly in water somewhere.

MOO.

Re- posts, subscribing to thread, Callander is dear to me..
1665502438934.png
Oct 2 2022
1665502499410.png
''Kevin McGuire, 27, was last seen leaving his home at Stronachlachar, near Aberfoyle, Perthshire, on December 31, 1994. He drove off in his green Saab after a late-night argument with his wife of just five months, Lisa Hainey. No trace of McGuire or his car has been found.''

''Separate searches of Loch Chon, Loch Ard and Inversaid Pier on Loch Lomond were carried out last month. Yesterday the third search began at Loch Katrine, near where Kevin vanished, and neighbouring Loch Arklet.

The searches are being carried out by a volunteer team called Beneath The Surface, based in Chorley, Lancashire, using under-water sonar technology.''

Attachments

• 1665502201746.png
    1665502201746.png
    404.9 KB · Views: 0
"Beneath the Surface has been operating for more than a year on missing persons cases across the UK."

"The team uses a transducer sensor which extends off the side of the boat, about a foot or two below the water."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spurr15
Back