UK UK - Serial killer preying on elderly couples, could be on the loose since mid-1990's

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I dug this up today, some more interesting information in regards to the Higgins case.

DEVOTED husband Michael Higgins bludgeoned his wife Violet to death after she threatened to leave him and put him in a home, an inquest heard today.

Mr Higgins was also found dead near his ex-policewoman wife's body at their heavily blood-stained home in Didsbury, Manchester.

[...]
Daniel Higgins said his brother, who was suffering from Parkinson's Disease, had told him that his 76-year-old wife Violet, a former Greater Manchester police officer, was leaving him.

Again, the level of violence and horror just doesn't seem to me like it should've been so easily dismissed as a Murder-Suicide. None of the hallmarks are there and there's so much conflicting evidence that it wasn't so cut and dry.

'Man Beat Wife to Death'

I saw this over the weekend, but did not see the details of these murder-suicides. Surely elderly murder-suicide/mercy killings are generally done in a way to minimize pain and not with such horrific violence? I know we can't assume elderly=weak, but these seem like murders that required serious force. So glad this is being reopened and reviewed.

Coroner's officer warns a serial killer may be behind murder-suicides under cold case investigation
Aug 24 2020
''Stephanie Davies's report is being reviewed by the three police forces responsible for investigating each of the respective cases''

''Two of the cases in particular bear striking similarities, Stephanie Davies, one of the UK’s most senior coroner’s officers, warned.''

''The Telegraph understands that each force has either commissioned, or intends to commission, cold case officers to review its findings and potentially re-open the cases.

One source said the revelations had “gone straight to the top” and were being urgently studied by experts.''

''Her report raised specific concerns about two cases in which a gentle, loving husband with no history of violence had apparently turned on his wife, brutally killing her with unimaginable violence before taking his own life.''

Perhaps this is a case of someone who offered the husband a "mercy" killing, but then came in with force. Since the kids of some of these elderly couples believe their father was in fact responsible for the killings, perhaps someone took advantage of ailing elderly couples. Someone who is maniacal, and enjoyed the killings a bit too much - hence the violence. This is a very crazy story!

Murder-suicide couple's family back fresh probe into whether they were serial killer victims | Daily Mail Online

"A family member has backed a coroner's claim that their elderly relatives died at the hands of a serial killer – and not in a murder suicide as previously reported.

On November 26, 1999, devoted couple Donald, 73, and Auriel Ward, 68 - who were happily married for 45 years - were found dead in their bloodstained bed at their home in Wilmslow. "

"A relative of Mr and Mrs Ward, who has not been named, told The Mirror: 'The police should certainly investigate this. It's come as quite a shock."

I've been wondering why the last case was in 2011.

Offender could be dead, in prison, or have moved on, to another location where other cases just haven't been linked yet. There also might be cases where lone individuals were murdered in their homes but they haven't been linked because they don't fit the same 'couple profile'.

moo

'We will fully review it' - Top cop on claims a serial killer could be operating in Cumbria

"A SENIOR detective said he will review a confidential report that suggests the deaths of a Cumbrian couple nine years ago could have been carried out by a serial killer."

"“From the little I do know, the one in Cumbria does seem far different from the ones elsewhere, but until we get the full report it is difficult for us to comment any further.”

"If there is a serial killer on the loose, he’s gone really quiet because we haven’t had one since 2011."

I don’t know if the police are considering this to be linked at all (despite the title saying murder investigation the article says they are not looking for anyone else in connection to the incident) but from the fairly limited info available it seems to have a very worrying similarity to the other deaths.

This happened in Stockport (Greater Manchester and not far at all from Wilmslow) the bodies were found on Tuesday 25th August.

Murder investigation launched after elderly couple found dead

This is really worrying!

So IF this is the same person for all these cases then that's just over 20 years they have been active.

Glad the police are digging into these cases.

MOO
I don’t know if the police are considering this to be linked at all (despite the title saying murder investigation the article says they are not looking for anyone else in connection to the incident) but from the fairly limited info available it seems to have a very worrying similarity to the other deaths.

This happened in Stockport (Greater Manchester and not far at all from Wilmslow) the bodies were found on Tuesday 25th August.

Murder investigation launched after elderly couple found dead

I hope that's unrelated and just coincidental, there's not really enough detail to know if there's much similarity yet (the extreme violence will make it pretty obvious to the police if it is similar)... but if it IS similar then hmm, two days after the article about these cases being investigated? That timing isn't luck, either the original killer (if there is one, of course) has been awoken by the story and is sending a message, or someone's a copycat.

Hello all, I just stumbled here via the Shermans. And it's almost unbelievable, isn't it?! All of these cases just seem to me to scream "double murder!" So out of character, with such extreme and unnecessary violence and cruelty. What were the police, coroners, etc thinking?

I hope it's unrelated as well, but it's definitely ringing alarm bells in my head.

I won't link to it for personal reasons, but an article in The Sun has mentioned the Stockport case in relation to the other 5 cases being reviewed (i.e. it being in the same area). I imagine we'll find out more about the circumstances in the coming weeks. If it matches the M.O. of the others, it's very worrying indeed.

Family of couple feared victims of serial killer 'said it was murder'
''Retired security guard Michael, 59, and ex-police officer Violet, 76, were found dead at home in Didsbury, Gtr Manchester, in February 2000.

At the time the coroner agreed with police that it was a murder-suicide but said he was puzzled why Michael had battered the wife he was dedicated to with a rolling pin before strangling himself.

Michael’s niece Adele Street, 50, and brother Daniel, 74, said they always knew the couple were murdered.''

The Sunday Times article is well worth reading for anyone who can, it's paywalled so I can't quote it (modsnip: removed reference to non approved site). I was interested to note at least a couple of the cases were couples who had previously talked about euthanasia/suicide pacts, which explains why investigators were more likely to believe that option - although given the level of violence involved I don't think it was the correct choice.

I found myself wondering if the potential killer could have personally known some of the victims, as it seemed they were well chosen to make murder-suicide more believable, even those who hadn't specifically talked about it had other factors which made it plausible; one had mental health problems, another was thinking of a divorce. Seems possibly more than just luck that each couple could actually fit the theory and so end up written off and not continue to be investigated as murder victims. If there was personal knowledge involved, I wonder who could get to know elderly people across a moderately wide area: social worker, doctor, meals on wheels, involved in some social club or other?
I investigated a murder suicide case of an elderly couple in 2003 and the overriding stressor was that the husband was caring for his bed ridden wife ( both late 80’s ) and the carers who were due 4 times a day would be changed after a few days so that the couple would just get used to them and then others were introduced and they got fed up of being treated (in their perception) as though they didn’t matter because they would have to go through the lengthy medical discussion each time to ensure that the wife was adequately cared for. Also, there was huge frustration around the times of each visit for eg the first could arrive as late as 1045am to get them up and breakfast ( invariably the wife had soiled sheets that she had lain in by this time) and then they could be visited at 1130am to be given lunch Etc and the husband loved his wife so much that he was fed up of her not being treated as well as she deserved because she was bed bound and only he could understand her communication. A terrible end to their lives because they felt invisible and inconsequential. But the point I make is that they were victim of the high staff turnover in these generally low paid roles and therefore it could be the perfect cover for a way to get in there ( I’m now referring to the questioned murders’ homes ) and get to know them a little before then killing them and moving on, so it’s certainly a lead that I would be following up!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anonymoose
Back