UK UK - Tapiwa ”Tapi“ Russell Matuwi, 21, Fiction nightclub, Swansea, South Wales, 7 Feb 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The 5 am sighting at his old school's (?) student accommodation CCTV could mean nothing or could mean everything. If the person he last contacted was someone he wanted to see but who didn't want to see him, that could be the clue. Of course, it might be that he just walked past the building, and was on his way somewhere else.

Still, since the last sighting is as close to water as you can get, this seems rather clear, unfortunately.

South Wales Police Swansea and Neath Port Talbot

Detectives searching for missing graduate Tapiwa Matuwi have today issued CCTV footage of his last known movements.

Twenty-one-year-old Tapi, as he is known, went missing in the early hours of Thursday, February 7, following a night out in Swansea city centre.

The footage begins with Tapi, who is 6ft, with distinctive black and orange hair, entering McDonalds on Oxford Street with a friend.
He is later captured outside McDonalds heading towards Caer Street, New Cut Road and near Sainsbury’s on Quay Parade.
The last known sighting is at Swansea Yacht Club at 7.06am on Thursday, February 7.

Detective Inspector Matthew Davies said: “We have a team dedicated to this investigation who have carried out extensive CCTV enquiries and spoken to a number of potential witnesses.

“We’ve identified a number of people captured in the footage however, we know that there are other potential unidentified witnesses, including dog walkers and joggers, in the Marina area at the same time we see Tapi on CCTV at the Yacht Club.

“We’re releasing this footage in case it helps to jog anyone’s memory from that morning and I’d urge anyone who thinks they have information which may help – however insignificant it may seem – to come forward.

“Tapi has now been missing for five weeks, and it has been an agonising time for his family and friends who have been fully supportive of our investigation and have also been searching continuously for him.

“They are being updated and supported throughout the investigation and our thoughts, as always, remain with them at this extremely difficult time.”

So much CCTV! He looks pretty drunk. Anyone got a guess where he was going? I need to look at times and maps properly (@Sera fancy another map making job?!) but it seems he was walking away from home and towards loads of water. There is also a 90 minute gap to account for.

So much CCTV! He looks pretty drunk. Anyone got a guess where he was going? I need to look at times and maps properly (@Sera fancy another map making job?!) but it seems he was walking away from home and towards loads of water. There is also a 90 minute gap to account for.
I'll get on it as soon as possible but I've got a super busy weekend so it might not get done til at least later tonight (Saturday night). So sad that yet another missing person has disappeared near water. It's crazy how often this seems to happen! I hope he's found safe and well.

Tapiwa Matuwi
Tapiwa Matuwi - Google My Maps

This is all I've managed to get done so far, will do more as soon as I can. I think I've covered all/most of the CCTV sightings and club location etc. Only managed to mark his home address as the Llansamlet area as I can't find his address in MSM. If anyone's seen his address please send me a link. Thank you :)

Tapiwa Matuwi
Tapiwa Matuwi - Google My Maps

This is all I've managed to get done so far, will do more as soon as I can. I think I've covered all/most of the CCTV sightings and club location etc. Only managed to mark his home address as the Llansamlet area as I can't find his address in MSM. If anyone's seen his address please send me a link. Thank you :)

Thank you @Sera, bob on!

So, a bit of a mystery where Tapi was for almost 2 hours between the student halls and the marina. Possibly stopped for a nap a la Corrie? Looking at the map surely the most likely scenario is that he fell into water, though I'd have thought there would be further camera footage of him in that area. He's in a bright orange coat and would stand out like a beacon, so my gut feeling is he fell in somewhere soon after 7:06.

After leaving the student halls, the video actually shows Tapi passing through Sainsburys at 5:30. If you look on Sera's wonderful map, it's the Sainsburys just above the Yacht Club where he's last seen.

I checked the Sainsburys opening times for Thursdays and they actually open at 7am. If CoverMeCagney's right and he took a nap, maybe it was near the shop and he was woken by workers/customers/delivery drivers? Or maybe he wanted some alone time and when people started showing up he moved on. Either way, it breaks my heart to think something might have happened to him just as people were starting to arrive and nobody saw :(

Last edited:
Missing man's family consider hiring PI

upload_2019-4-12_1-20-39.jpeg

The father of a missing 21-year-old musician has said his family are considering hiring a private investigator in a bid to find him.

Tapiwa Matuwi was last seen near Swansea Marina at about 07:00 GMT on 7 February after visiting Fiction nightclub.

A fundraising concert is being held at the YMCA in Swansea on Friday.

South Wales Police said its investigation into his disappearance was ongoing.

[...]

Hoping that Tapi is still wearing his bright coat, it could help make him more visible..wherever he may be. imo.
Would somebody target him for/because of his jacket?
Also, noting one article states that he is 6', the other says 5'6''?
rbbm.
CCTV of missing man's last known movements

"The footage begins with Mr Matuwi, who is 6ft with distinctive black and orange hair, entering McDonald's on Oxford Street with a friend.

He is later seen outside McDonald's heading towards Caer Street, New Cut Road and near Sainsbury’s on Quay Parade.

The last known sighting is at Swansea Yacht Club at 07:06 GMT."

Parents' plea over missing hip hop artist
"Police and the community have been searching for Mr Matuwi, who graduated in IT from the University of Wales Trinity Saint David last year, and his family have been distributing posters.

Mr Matuwi is about 5ft 6in, slim with black hair with orange on top, and light stubble. He was wearing a red jacket with Bieber written in white on the back."

I mean, he's pretty distinctive - 6 foot black guy with black and orange hair and a bright red coat. The water seems the most obvious scenario, but even then he or his coat should have been spotted by now. Very odd.

This mp seems to have dropped right out of the news, maybe time for the family to make a fresh appeal to bring awareness and hopefully information.
Wondering if bodies easily turn up in the area near the yacht where Tapi was last seen?
Any chance Tapi boarded a boat and went....away?
speculation, imo.

He looks absolutely smashed in some of that CCTV. My only guess is he's in a body of water somewhere, hopefully he can be found and laid to rest at some point.

As a late 20's male in the UK I'm glad I don't live near any bodies of water as I'm partial to a few ales at the weekend!

Article dated July 27, 2019. CCTV image of man sought for information.

Police issue renewed appeal to find missing Tapiwa Matuwi on his 22nd birthday
67391390_2122872807822256_2345851312475734016_n.png

Detective Chief Inspector Matthew Davies said: “Tapi is 22 today and should be celebrating his birthday with his family and friends but instead they are left wondering where he is and what has happened to him.

“We continue to investigate his disappearance and we need your help to give his family the answers they desperately need."

Police say they are keen to speak to a man shown in a CCTV image.

“We are keen to speak to the man in the CCTV image as he was in the Trawler Road area on the night of Tapi’s disappearance and believe he may also been in Fiction nightclub. He may not believe he saw anything of interest but every piece of information is vital and we would ask him to contact us.”
#

Additional coverage-
'Every moment without our son is a nightmare'

Family say missing son would never run away

'My son vanished without a trace on a busy street'

The father of a missing hip hop artist has spoken of his family's heartbreak after his son "vanished" without a trace on a busy street in Swansea.

Tapiwa Matuwi, 21, was last seen on CCTV near Swansea Marina at about 07:00 GMT on 7 February 2019.

Snip

His father Munyaradzi Zvada said he could not understand how no-one could have seen him on the busy street, while police have renewed their appeal.

"It is like our son just vanished, and no-one seems to know anything," he said.

Snip

"It is a case that we are stuck, there are no leads, you can only imagine," he said.

"There is the CCTV, and then no information, it is like a wild goose chase.

"I know somebody knows something or saw something, but no-one is saying anything."

Snip

Tapi's family had considered hiring a private investigator, but said they were waiting for the police to finish their investigations before exploring that avenue again.

"We do not want him to become another statistic," said Mr Zvada, ...
#

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rah1991
Back