UK - Edward Reeve, 35, murdered, 3 teens arrested, Christchurch Dorset, Jan 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Luwin

Reaction score
A 16-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a man was found dead.

Dorset Police officers were called to Heath Road in Christchurch, Dorset, shortly before 20:00 GMT on Tuesday over a "report of concern for welfare".

A force spokesperson said the man, aged in his 30s, had suffered "serious injuries".

Det Insp Simon Huxter asked anyone who knew the occupant of 6 Heath Road to come forward as well as residents with CCTV and any drivers with dashcam footage from the area between Saturday and Tuesday.

Christchurch murder probe: Police arrest 16-year-old boy

Highly unusual for the police to have published a full address imo. I thought at first that the police must be having difficulty identifying him, but I see from an earlier BBC report that his family have been informed, so it's not that. It feels as if the police want to hear from people who may have been more familiar with the man's address than his name. Upsetting that a child is allegedly involved.

Christchurch murder probe: Police seek contacts of resident

Yes - seems very strange. I wonder what the connection between the two will be. Immediate thoughts that spring to mind are that the victim is either vulnerable and potentially the address has been involved in cuckooing? OR the victim is a predator who takes advantage of those at the address? I'm sure there are also many more scenarios MOO

Lots of articles in the local press Things we know about Christchurch murder investigation

Dorset murder investigation: Victim named

I had a little Google and found the following from September which is a drug driving charge IN THE COURTS: 12 people who have appeared at Southampton Magistrates' Court

And an article with a quote from his mother, though the picture looks very different. It sadly looks like the chap had some demons.
Devastated mum says 'murdered' son 'didn't deserve this as boy, 16, arrested
She said: "I just don't believe it. It doesn't seem real. It doesn't seem fair. He didn't deserve it if you ask me."

Jayne told how her son had moved from Buckinghamshire to Christchurch around ten years ago but had suffered with drug addiction.

She revealed her fears over his death and claimed he had been associating with low-lifes.

A teenage girl has been arrested in connection with an investigation into the murder of a man.

Dorset Police said the 15-year-old girl was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender following the death of 35-year-old Edward Reeve.

Mr Reeve's body was found at a house in Heath Road, Christchurch, on 4 January shortly before 20:00 GMT.

Two boys aged 16 - from Christchurch and Bournemouth - who were arrested on suspicion of murder remain in custody.
Christchurch murder probe: Police arrest 15-year-old girl

I had completely missed the update of the second teen being arrested, and now there is a third!

Christchurch death: Two teenage boys charged with man's murder

Two 16-year-old boys have been charged with murder after a man was found dead at a house.

The body of 35-year-old Edward Reeve was found in Heath Road, Christchurch, Dorset, on 4 January at 20:00 GMT.

The two boys, who are from Christchurch and Bournemouth, are due to appear at Poole Magistrates' Court on Tuesday.

Police also arrested a 15-year-old local girl on suspicion of assisting an offender. She has been released on bail pending further inquiries.

Christchurch death: Two teenage boys charged with man's murder

Two 16-year-old boys have been charged with murder after a man was found dead at a house.

The body of 35-year-old Edward Reeve was found in Heath Road, Christchurch, Dorset, on 4 January at 20:00 GMT.

The two boys, who are from Christchurch and Bournemouth, are due to appear at Poole Magistrates' Court on Tuesday.

Police also arrested a 15-year-old local girl on suspicion of assisting an offender. She has been released on bail pending further inquiries.

Oh, wow. I'm starting to feel society is completely unravelling. :eek:

Warning - grim reading

TWO teenage killers have been found guilty of murdering a “talented musician” in his own home on New Year’s Eve 2021.

A 16-year-old boy from Christchurch and a 17-year-old boy from Bournemouth were found guilty of killing Edward Reeve, 35, in his home in Heath Road, Walkford following trial lasting a little more than three weeks.

The Christchurch teen first met Mr Reeve on December 29, the latter wanting to buy drugs from him.

He went to his house with a group of friends that night and took drugs, Winchester Crown Court heard. He also stole his computer.

Two days later, the teen went to his home again with his co-defendant and three girls.

Prosecutor Riel Karmy-Jones QC said the teens became “agitated” and started punching holes in the wall.

After the three girls left, saying they felt uncomfortable, the two boys attacked Mr Reeve with two knives.

The principal injury was to the left of the belly which severed the main artery draining blood from the liver.

The court heard his injuries were consistent with “being chased”.

The boys then caught up with the girls and “bragged” about stabbing Mr Reeve. They received a phone call from a friend in prison and told him they had “yinged man up” and were now “family”.

Blood of Mr Reeve was found in the living room, on his bed in the downstairs bedroom, on the door leading to the back garden and on the wall behind the shed.

He was found four days later by two friends who became concerned when they hadn’t heard from him.

The day before Mr Reeve’s body was found, the Christchurch teen returned to Heath Road and stayed there for 10 minutes. He told the jury he was “pacing up and down” the driveway and went to find out the “outcome of the night”.

The Christchurch teen denied murder but admitted stabbing Mr Reeve three or four times in the thigh and buttock in self defence after Mr Reeve challenged him about the stolen computer.

He said his co-defendant then attacked the victim, telling him he was defending him.

The Bournemouth teen said he didn’t harm Mr Reeve, and the Christchurch teen attacked him with two knives when an argument broke out over the stolen computer.

He claimed he sat and watched and now “wished” he did something to stop the attack.

Both boys denied chasing Mr Reeve and said he was left alive in the living room. The Bournemouth teen denied possession of a blade, while the Christchurch teen admitted that charge.

However, a 12-person jury found them unanimously guilty of murder after seven hours of deliberations.

The Bournemouth teen was found guilty of carrying a blade.

They will be sentenced at a later date. Neither defendants can be named.

The boys then caught up with the girls and “bragged” about stabbing Mr Reeve. They received a phone call from a friend in prison and told him they had “yinged man up” and were now “family”.
rsbm

"Yinged" is Drill slang for stabbed, and means that the defendants are either part of a gang or enjoy acting as though they are. At 16 and 17, they fact that they already have a friend in prison who wants to hear about this suggests to me that they actually are.

Stabbings by teenagers, often of other teenagers but also of smaller kids or adults in the local community identified as easy targets, are starting to be part of an epidemic of gang-related violence in the UK, and seem to happen almost as a dare or a challenge, a game of chicken, or part of an initiation into the gang. They seem to be intimately linked with organised drug crime, and no part of the country seems to be untouched by this phenomenon anymore - it's no longer just an urban problem.

I don't know what the solution is but I believe strongly that teenagers who get caught up in gang violence should be regarded as victims themselves as well as aggressors. They will have been recruited as much younger teens or preteens and indoctrinated into gang behaviour and gang loyalty. They and their parents will typically have been failed by multiple statutory agencies with regard to truancy, petty crime, missing episodes etc before things came to this. Public sector cuts make things worse, but imo there is also an unprecedented need for seriously creative, joined-up thinking if police and the criminal justice system are to make any progress with this.

I can recommend this book if anyone is interested in a bleak read about the links between knife violence, gangs, organised crime, drugs and child criminal exploitation. The writer is a former Sky News journalist.

There is a much more thoughtful approach to this territory in journalism generally than the 'moral panic' attitude of a few years ago imo, eg:

The truth about teenage knife crime

Children killing children: Inside Greater Manchester’s teen knife crime epidemic

The organisation SPACE is also passionate about creating a national conversation around this phenomenon, involving people in law enforcement, criminal justice, politics, child safeguarding etc, plus families and survivors of CCE. Almost no one is doing more to try and protect young people from ending up on this conveyor belt imo.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back