Unexplained evidence in Darlie Routier trial

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

wasnt_me

Reaction score
I am going through the transcripts and running into unexplained or overlooked evidence in the case. If someone knows if these things were actually pursued or tied into the case, let me know. your own if you have any.

Blood upstairs on Devon's comforter.

Darin was questioned in trial about blood on Devon's comforter, and Darin was quick to explain that in his sleep, Damon kicked the side rail off the bed and it hit Devon in the head. He said they washed the comforter a couple times since then.

Is this the bed? And if so, how would Damon knock this rail off?

State’s Exhibits

stateexhibit17c.jpg

I thought Devon and Damon brought their blankets downstairs to sleep? Where are those blankets in evidence or crime photos anyway?

Transcript page 56:

There was blood on one of the boy's comforters upstairs?
A. Yes, sir. 14
Q. Do you know how that got there?
A. I know exactly how it got there.
Q. Tell the jury.
A. Well, those are bunk beds, and the bottom had a full size, and the top had a twin, and there's a little rail that goes across the top of the railing, so that the top person doesn't fall off. Well, Damon always slept on the top, and Devon slept on the bottom. And, one night we heard this screech, and we ran in there, and Damon had kicked off that little guard, and it landed and hit Devon right here in the forehead. And when it did, of course he bled, and we tried to clean that up, and we tried to get him comforted, and got him a little -- got him some band-aids, and that was probably two years ago, and that comforter had been cleaned a couple of times since then.

Maybe I am just confused, but doesn't that rail look soldered?
gallery

Last edited:

Darin was questioned in trial about blood on Devon's comforter, and Darin was quick to explain that in his sleep, Damon kicked the side rail off the bed and it hit Devon in the head. He said they washed the comforter a couple times since then.

State’s Exhibits

stateexhibit17c.jpg

I thought Devon and Damon brought their blankets downstairs to sleep? Where are those blankets in evidence or crime photos anyway?

Transcript page 56:

A. Yes, sir. 14
Q. Tell the jury.
A. Well, those are bunk beds, and the bottom had a full size, and the top had a twin, and there's a little rail that goes across the top of the railing, so that the top person doesn't fall off. Well, Damon always slept on the top, and Devon slept on the bottom. And, one night we heard this screech, and we ran in there, and Damon had kicked off that little guard, and it landed and hit Devon right here in the forehead. And when it did, of course he bled, and we tried to clean that up, and we tried to get him comforted, and got him a little -- got him some band-aids, and that was probably two years ago, and that comforter had been cleaned a couple of times since then.

gallery

Technically, if the guard rail assembly is attached without using bolts it would be welded (not soldered) to the cross rail. If the guard rail assembly is bolted to the cross rail the bolts likely extend through and out from the inward-facing (back) of the cross post.

The guard rail is intended to reduce the possibility of someone rolling off the bed and to the floor but it is not necessarily engineered to withstand strong-force effort, such as kicking or hanging.

Okay, welded, fine. I'm thinking a guard rail can withstand some force. Kids wrestle. One can shove the other into the rail. It shouldn't be shoddy or I can imagine the company facing some lawsuits. It's a kids' bed, so they surely test whether it's safe, right? Seems like it would be hella hard to for a kid to kick and break a welded rail and make it swing down when it's welded on both sides.

I'm looking at this red bed and I'm asking if it looks like someone kicked the guard rail off it like he said. Those pieces look welded. It does not look like anyone repaired the bed.

If it happened a couple years back, we're talking about a two or three-year-old kicking this guard rail hard enough to make it fall down on his brother. Is that red rail the guard rail? If so, I really do not see how that will be kicked, broken off and swinging down to hit someone in the head.

Of course it might not be the same bed, but will kicking a guard rail on a bed like this one make the guard rail break off and swing? Sounds like a lot of loose parts.

He does say "there is a little guard rail at the top of the railing." I have no idea what that means. I've never seen a bunk bed with anything more on the railing than what the bed above looks like. I searched google images and didn't find one.

Last edited:
Darlie's attire on the night of the murders

I was reading the testimony of a nurse who noted that Darlie had cried and her makeup ran. Why did she still have on makeup? And she also had earrings in her ears. Maybe I'm wrong, but does that seem right when you are going to bed?

You can see the makeup in her hospital bed pics.

https://darliefacts.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/8.jpg
8.jpg

I had wondered why there was never talk of baths or showers for her, the kids, or Darin that night. The boys had been playing outside all day, and if I got the story right, they were messing around, dumping half the water out of the hot tub. So wouldn't they need a bath or shower after playing all day and being all in the spa water like that? But we hear nothing about baths, brushing teeth, anything.

Damon apparently had on clothes when he was found, but all Devon had on was underwear. Isn't that strange? I'd like to know where Devon's clothes were and what Darlie was wearing earlier in the day. I wonder where that outfit is or if it's gone because she threw her bloody clothes out and dropped the sock in the process. Maybe the sock was mixed up in whatever she put on when she went outside and it fell out.

A. Her eyes would kind of welled up a 23 little bit with water, with tears, and an occasional tear 24 drop. And she still had on her eye makeup. And so, I 25 don't know how much of that ran from the tears at that Sandra M. Halsey, CSR, Official Court Reporter 933 1 time, or -- but, you know, some of the eye makeup was -- 2 had run down onto her upper checks.

https://darliefacts.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/16_christopher-wielgosz.pdf

Page 15-16.

Last edited:
It's obvious Darlie never went to bed that night. she is wearing three pairs of earrings and in full makeup. No one goes to bed like that.

Darlie was wearing an oversize Victoria Secret nightshirt with matching panties and her shirt was covered in blood, her blood with the boys cast off stains on the shoulders and one on the back.

There were no clothes found full of blood except for the folded dry laundry she herself bled on.

Last edited:

State’s Exhibits

stateexhibit17c.jpg

Transcript page 56:

A. Yes, sir. 14
Q. Tell the jury.

gallery

State exhibit 62, a light blue blanket was the blanket Damon had. If you could post photos here I could show it but I'll leave the link.

Def exhibit 23 shows the black or blue checked blanket Devon was sleeping on.

The blankets from the bunk beds stayed upstairs, just as you see them in this photo.

There's no mystery, Devon bled on the blanket at some point as that was his bedroom and his beds.

Defendant’s Exhibits - you can find exhibit 23 here- Devon's blanket

State’s Exhibits You can find exhibit 62 here Damon's blanket

I see all that and I appreciate you engaging me because it's a real mystery. I appreciate anyone willing to go over the old case.

I don't think there's nothing to it about the blood on Devon's comforter even if it didn't happen that night. I think Devon got hurt on that comforter and they are lying about why, how, and maybe when. I'm starting to think they abused these kids. I don't like the bruises I read about on the boys in the autopsy report. Devon had many on his hands. Why?

Devon sound's like he was partly strangled, if you ask me. I'm very concerned that she might have pulled that child out of bed while he slept in his underwear. I don't know. Something is not right.

For the blanket you say is Devon's -- He was under it because the paramedics covered him with it. Maybe it had blood on it, but I don't see any blood on it, so I'm not sure he was using it when he got stabbed. Darlie supposedly had a blanket. Where is that?

I want to know where Darlie's clothes from earlier that day were because I do not believe she was in PJ's and panties, watching TV in full makeup with her sons. I find it hard to believe Devon was downstairs in just underwear. I think she took their clothes somewhere down the alley and that is why we don't have them.

Where is Damon's pillow

If we did not have Darlie's story, we see two blankets and two pillows. So what really went on? Or am I missing the third set of blankets and pillows?

I don't know that any of it happened the way she and Darin say from the moment her sister left.

ETA--I was curious about her having the earrings on, too, but I don't have pierced ears, and so I didn't know if women sleep in that many or not. Thanks for commenting on those because I agree that she should have taken them out, but like I said, I never got my ears done, so I don't know.

Last edited:
Cami,

Maybe you know what this is on the fireplace? Is it a blanket of some sort? The cloth item that is white with the designs on it.

Defendant’s Exhibits

defexhibit47.jpg

Okay, and I'm just gonna say it. Who finds Darlie's decorations a bit gawdy and pretentious?

stateexhibit25.jpg
Here is the nightshirt she was wearing...I finally clued in how to post photos

Last edited:
In have no idea how I combined two posts, LOL

I see all that and I appreciate you engaging me because it's a real mystery. I appreciate anyone willing to go over the old case.

I don't think there's nothing to it about the blood on Devon's comforter even if it didn't happen that night. I think Devon got hurt on that comforter and they are lying about why, how, and maybe when. I'm starting to think they abused these kids. I don't like the bruises I read about on the boys in the autopsy report. Devon had many on his hands. Why?

Devon sound's like he was partly strangled, if you ask me. I'm very concerned that she might have pulled that child out of bed while he slept in his underwear. I don't know. Something is not right.

For the blanket you say is Devon's -- He was under it because the paramedics covered him with it. Maybe it had blood on it, but I don't see any blood on it, so I'm not sure he was using it when he got stabbed. Darlie supposedly had a blanket. Where is that?

I want to know where Darlie's clothes from earlier that day were because I do not believe she was in PJ's and panties, watching TV in full makeup with her sons. I find it hard to believe Devon was downstairs in just underwear. I think she took their clothes somewhere down the alley and that is why we don't have them.

Where is Damon's pillow

If we did not have Darlie's story, we see two blankets and two pillows. So what really went on? Or am I missing the third set of blankets and pillows?

I don't know that any of it happened the way she and Darin say from the moment her sister left.

ETA--I was curious about her having the earrings on, too, but I don't have pierced ears, and so I didn't know if women sleep in that many or not. Thanks for commenting on those because I agree that she should have taken them out, but like I said, I never got my ears done, so I don't know.

Last edited: Today at 3:04 AM
The black checked blanket is actually a sleeping bag which Devon brought down to sleep on.

He was not pulled from his bed that night. Both he and Damon were sleeping on the floor beside their mother who was on the couch.

You will have to read the trial transcripts sorry, if you want to more about their blanket and pillows, I've forgotten it. the blanket and pillows were not all that important to me.

As for her story after Dana left. You have to understand all of them lie all the time especially her mother. That's why this case is so frustrating. Even her appellate attorney Cooper lies his head off in his TV appearances.

Darlie was wearing a large, white Victoria Secret sleep shirt with matching panties. She was not wearing pajamas. you can see it right here in the galleries.

Why don't you believe Devon was downstairs in just underwear? it was a hot Texas night. And Damon fell asleep down there fully clothed. I doubt she murdered them and then undressed them to get rid of their clothes but that's just me.

Last edited:
Cami,

Maybe you know what this is on the fireplace? Is it a blanket of some sort? The cloth item that is white with the designs on it.

Defendant’s Exhibits

defexhibit47.jpg

Okay, and I'm just gonna say it. Who finds Darlie's decorations a bit gawdy and pretentious?

No I have no idea what that is. And yes her house was gawdy and overdone but it was 1996 after all.

The coroner described that black and white thing as a blanket, but maybe it was a sleeping bag. I haven't read about it since he said the body arrived with it and the pillow.

I don't think they were down there sleeping like that -- with Damon in a black tee shirt and jeans but Devon is just in his underwear. I don't see why they wouldn't have the air conditioning on if it's so hot. Why isn't Damon hot while fully clothed? Why are they hot under blankets and sleeping bags? What is wrong with the air conditioning? These are just rhetorical questions. I know you don't know. If you have theories, though, let's hear it.

I know they lied but I'm just trying to understand the crime scene. How do we even know they were down there sleeping? Why do we just accept that as fact? Why is Damon fully dressed and Devon isn't? That's weird.

Darlie went outside for some reason, and I just do not believe it was for the sock. I believe she or Darin was tossing evidence and dropped the sock. I put Darin in it because, according to the police and the paramedic, Damon was alive. Darin could have seen that just like they did. But Darlie and Darin don't talk about that. They only talk about Devon. It's weird.

You know what else is weird? Why is her whole family "D" names, and she just so "happens" to marry a man with a "D" name? And they have "D" kids? Crazy ! I wonder if her mom introduced them because his name was "D"arin.

This is what the coroner said of Devon's blanket:

12 A. He was received in a body bag, on a 13 white sheet. He was wearing one Power Ranger pair of 14 shorts. Also a Power Ranger pillow case and pillow were 15 submitted with the body, as well as one black and white bed cover.

Last edited:
No I have no idea what that is. And yes her house was gawdy and overdone but it was 1996 after all.

Well, I still have my couch from back then, so I guess I need to be quiet!

:p

So you said earlier that it's obvious Darlie didn't go to sleep that night. So what do you think? The boys were down there alone, watching TV/sleeping, and then she came in there with the murderous vapors?

Not debating her guilt or innocence, but I don't find pause with her jewelry or makeup. I sleep with 4 studs and full makeup every night, because I'm too exhausted (lazy) to take them out and wash my face before bed. State exhibit 99 shows rings and bracelets on the counter, which lead me to believe she had taken off the jewelry that bothers her while sleeping. Just throwing out another POV...
JMO, MOO, etc

The coroner described that black and white thing as a blanket, but maybe it was a sleeping bag. I haven't read about it since he said the body arrived with it and the pillow.

I don't think they were down there sleeping like that -- with Damon in a black tee shirt and jeans but Devon is just in his underwear. I don't see why they wouldn't have the air conditioning on if it's so hot. Why isn't Damon hot while fully clothed? Why are they hot under blankets and sleeping bags? What is wrong with the air conditioning? These are just rhetorical questions. I know you don't know. If you have theories, though, let's hear it.

I know they lied but I'm just trying to understand the crime scene. How do we even know they were down there sleeping? Why do we just accept that as fact? Why is Damon fully dressed and Devon isn't? That's weird.

Darlie went outside for some reason, and I just do not believe it was for the sock. I believe she or Darin was tossing evidence and dropped the sock. I put Darin in it because, according to the police and the paramedic, Damon was alive. Darin could have seen that just like they did. But Darlie and Darin don't talk about that. They only talk about Devon. It's weird.

You know what else is weird? Why is her whole family "D" names, and she just so "happens" to marry a man with a "D" name? And they have "D" kids? Crazy ! I wonder if her mom introduced them because his name was "D"arin.

12 A. He was received in a body bag, on a 13 white sheet. He was wearing one Power Ranger pair of 14 shorts. Also a Power Ranger pillow case and pillow were 15 submitted with the body, as well as one black and white bed cover.

These are really good observations and deserve some discussion. Thanks. I agree the focus on Devon (who was obviously dead) instead of Damon bears thought. I live in Dallas and I can tell you many kids sleep in their underpants in the summer, especially after swimming or hot-tubbing. Lots of women never remove their earrings. Women fall asleep with make-up (I don't, but I know many who do). But the sleeping downstairs is totally suspect to me. Obviously Darlie and Darin had a fight and that is why she is downstairs on the sofa. She probably just let the 2 boys sleep down there as well, but letting your kids fall asleep on the floor in front of the TV for the night is not normal (at least not in my house). There is something suspect about her sister staying with them and then suddenly that night being driven home by Darin.

Not debating her guilt or innocence, but I don't find pause with her jewelry or makeup. I sleep with 4 studs and full makeup every night, because I'm too exhausted (lazy) to take them out and wash my face before bed. State exhibit 99 shows rings and bracelets on the counter, which lead me to believe she had taken off the jewelry that bothers her while sleeping. Just throwing out another POV...
JMO, MOO, etc
well she didn't even remove her makeup, you can still see it on her in the hospital pics after surgery. I can't sleep with jewelery on so maybe I was reflecting myself on her. How can you sleep with earrings and an ear stud in? The only thing I don't remove is my gold chain and crucifix.

Well, I still have my couch from back then, so I guess I need to be quiet!

:p

So you said earlier that it's obvious Darlie didn't go to sleep that night. So what do you think? The boys were down there alone, watching TV/sleeping, and then she came in there with the murderous vapors?
No I think she was there stewing after the big fight she and Darin had. Darin went up to bed between 12:30 and 1:00

Yes I believe I did qualify in another post that it was a sleeping bag and not a blanket. It wasn't the blanket from his bunk beds.

You can believe or think what you want this is a free country after all. I'm not trying to tell anyone what to think or believe.

Yes they had an air conditioning unit, they said they didn't put it on that night. I have no idea why they allowed Damon to sleep in his clothes. But according to both of them, she wanted to sleep down there because the baby rolling in his crib kept her awake. The kids wanted to sleep down there with her.

I don't know why they weren't bathed and put in pajamas, you'd have to ask Darin and Darlie.

Since the tracker dogs only found one sock, I strongly doubt that Darin and Darlie were throwing out evidence for the K9 and/or cops to find but if they were they've hidden it very well. Many people believe her panties went down the storm drain and that is where the sock was headed but was missed. But they checked the drain and didn't find anything.

Yes Darin does talk about Damon and that he thought he was dead, he felt his pulse and couldn't find one.

Yeah that D thing is weird, even the dog had a D name. I wonder if her sisters called their kids with D names.

I don't know how anyone can answer personal questions. I didn't and don't know Darin and Darlie personally. I don't know what they were thinking. I can only go by what we have learned of them and their own words. At one time, I thought she was innocent. It wasn't until I read the transcripts and learned the evidence that I came to see she murdered her children. I don't know why she did it but she did. I don't believe Darin had a hand in murdering the children, I know some folks do but I don't. I believe he knew almost right away it was her and he covered for her by lying.

What they kept from everyone was the big fight they had that night and Darlie's asking for a divorce. It took 6 years for that little nugget to be made public. It's all about Darlie for Darin at the expense of others.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back