Identified! UT - Body in Storage Unit, Ogden, 5 Sept 2019 - Alice Ann Valdez

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
5d71aaa6d2622.image.jpg

Police investigating human remains found in Ogden storage shed on Grant Avenue

OGDEN — Police investigated a body found Thursday afternoon in a storage unit at 2868 Grant Ave., officials said.

The major crimes bureau was leading the investigation, and police said the death was considered “suspicious.”

Police said the body was too decomposed to know if it was a man or woman and an autopsy was scheduled Friday morning.

Ogden police investigate body found inside storage unit

5d71aaa6d2622.image.jpg

Police investigating human remains found in Ogden storage shed on Grant Avenue

OGDEN — Police investigated a body found Thursday afternoon in a storage unit at 2868 Grant Ave., officials said.

The major crimes bureau was leading the investigation, and police said the death was considered “suspicious.”

Police said the body was too decomposed to know if it was a man or woman and an autopsy was scheduled Friday morning.

Utah is sure getting some weird ones lately. Ogden is about halfway btwn Logan Canyon & SLC. I wonder who the renter of the unit is & TOD of that corpse.

Police stated the following in a press release:

"Human remains were discovered in a storage shed located at 2868 Grant Avenue. An investigation is being conducted by detectives with the Major Crimes Bureau. Initially, the circumstances surrounding the discovery are suspicious. This investigation is ongoing."
Police were working to determine whether a crime took place, simply calling the circumstances “very suspicious.” When asked for details, a lieutenant said “it’s a body in a storage unit.”

The person cleaning the unit called police at about 4:15 p.m.

Investigators did not have information on the gender or age of the person, who has not yet been identified. Someone from the state medical examiner’s office was en route to retrieve the body.

A lieutenant said the body had been there “for a while,” but he did not provide a more specific timeframe.

Officers were collecting evidence and looking for surveillance footage.

Police: People cleaning out Ogden storage unit find a body; circumstances 'suspicious'

Well, at least they don't have to look very hard for whoever's responsible.

I was trying to get a time period for the body so I tried looking up when the storage unit place was founded but that information is hard to find out and I came up empty-handed. But I may have come across a clue. When I was taking a look at the place from google street view I found out that Stock n Lock where the body was found was used to be called Stowaway. Sometime between July 2017 and August 2018 they went from Stowaway and became Stock N' Lock. I'm not sure if they just changed their name or if they were bought by Stock N' Lock (Stock N' Lock is a chain of storage unit facilities in Utah) or even if this could give a possible idea of how long the body was there for. I don't know much about storage unit business and I'm not sure what happens to storage units after the facility is sold to another company. If the name change doesn't mean anything and It's possible whoever owned the storage unit owned it when the place was still called Stowaway, then according to Google Street View the body could've been there before 2008.

It would really help if we knew how long the storage unit had been there for.

rbbm.
Detectives collecting more evidence, investigating body found in shed in Ogden
"Lt. Eynon said they have ruled out any missing persons case in this area that could be related.

He’s hoping maybe they can come up with a timeline, to get a good lead.

We can try to obtain surveillance footage, any possible witnesses,” he said.

Lt. Eynon said the cause of death wasn’t immediately clear on scene, “We don’t know if it’s foul play yet.”

But it was clear, “Human remains found in a storage shed, regardless of the circumstances, it’s suspicious,” he said.

Lt. Eynon said they are hoping to have some preliminary information from the autopsy, such as if this was a man or woman, who it was, and cause of death, sometime early next week"

Unless this body was in a container, I think it's likely it's the body of whoever owned the unit and they were using it to live/sleep in, and they died naturally or of an overdose or suicide.

JMO, I don't think they would call it suspicious if this was someone who was living in their storage unit:

Lt. Tyler Ziegler called the case “very suspicious.”

Dead body found in Utah storage unit by person cleaning it

[...]

"The shape that the body was in, and the position that the body was in, we could not confirm anything other than that it was suspicious,” said Ogden Police Lt. Brian Eynon.

The investigation is ongoing, police said.

The case was turned over to Ogden PD's Major Crimes division, the spokesperson said.

Police stated the following in a press release:

"Human remains were discovered in a storage shed located at 2868 Grant Avenue. An investigation is being conducted by detectives with the Major Crimes Bureau. Initially, the circumstances surrounding the discovery are suspicious. This investigation is ongoing."
Police were working to determine whether a crime took place, simply calling the circumstances “very suspicious.” When asked for details, a lieutenant said “it’s a body in a storage unit.”

Police: People cleaning out Ogden storage unit find a body; circumstances 'suspicious'

Well, at least they don't have to look very hard for whoever's responsible.

I was trying to get a time period for the body so I tried looking up when the storage unit place was founded but that information is hard to find out and I came up empty-handed. But I may have come across a clue. When I was taking a look at the place from google street view I found out that Stock n Lock where the body was found was used to be called Stowaway. Sometime between July 2017 and August 2018 they went from Stowaway and became Stock N' Lock. I'm not sure if they just changed their name or if they were bought by Stock N' Lock (Stock N' Lock is a chain of storage unit facilities in Utah) or even if this could give a possible idea of how long the body was there for. I don't know much about storage unit business and I'm not sure what happens to storage units after the facility is sold to another company. If the name change doesn't mean anything and It's possible whoever owned the storage unit owned it when the place was still called Stowaway, then according to Google Street View the body could've been there before 2008.

It would really help if we knew how long the storage unit had been there for.
Of course every business is different, but the storage facility I have been using switched companies, signage, phone number, web site,etc. four days after I moved all my stuff in. Went from a nationally known chain name to a one off independent name. I was especially perturbed that they gave us no warning. So the name change in this case doesn't necessarily mean much. MOO.

Unless this body was in a container, I think it's likely it's the body of whoever owned the unit and they were using it to live/sleep in, and they died naturally or of an overdose or suicide.
Storage units are typically padlocked from the outside. A person wanting to hang out inside could not lock it in that way, obviously.

If that person somehow locked it from the inside (AFAIK the units don't have any easy way to do that) then how did the people cleaning it out get access?

Of course it could have been left unlocked all along but that seems unlikely to have not been found earlier.

Storage units are typically padlocked from the outside. A person wanting to hang out inside could not lock it in that way, obviously.

If that person somehow locked it from the inside (AFAIK the units don't have any easy way to do that) then how did the people cleaning it out get access?

Of course it could have been left unlocked all along but that seems unlikely to have not been found earlier.

Ahhhh, good point. It is possible it wasn't locked, though. Maybe the time had come to clean it out because whoever owns it hadn't paid in a while.

Storage units are typically padlocked from the outside. A person wanting to hang out inside could not lock it in that way, obviously

My storage unit has an encased lock. It is embedded in the overhead door. I don't have a separate padlock. So unless someone had access to the facility and looked VERY carefully at the door to my unit - I could be in there with the door closed 24/7 and no one would know.

My storage unit has an encased lock. It is embedded in the overhead door. I don't have a separate padlock. So unless someone had access to the facility and looked VERY carefully at the door to my unit - I could be in there with the door closed 24/7 and no one would know.

Interesting. I've never seen a lock like you describe at a public storage facility. There are several pictures showing the locks at this storage unit and they seem to be traditional padlocks on the outside: Police: People cleaning out Ogden storage unit find a body; circumstances 'suspicious'

ETA: The company website recommends a disc lock for those providing their own lock: STOCK-N-LOCK SELF STORAGE: FAQ's

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaastrichtDetective
Back