Found Deceased UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, Lucin, Box Elder Co, May 2022 #2 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know the family has indicated there's a lot going on in the background with LE, analyzing both physical evidence and forensic data, and it's just a matter of time. I'm curious, however, shy of the one named suspect so far, JB, confessing, if LE and/or DA will move forward with formal charges related to DR's disappearance and presumed death if Dylan isn't found / recovered.

It was my understanding (per a previous post I made upthread) that DR's encounter with CV was on Tower Road. It's on the Utah side, approx. 13 miles or so from Montello depending on exactly where he picked him up.
Thankyou- I clearly missed that and thought is was important to make note of

I know the family has indicated there's a lot going on in the background with LE, analyzing both physical evidence and forensic data, and it's just a matter of time. I'm curious, however, shy of the one named suspect so far, JB, confessing, if LE and/or DA will move forward with formal charges related to DR's disappearance and presumed death if Dylan isn't found / recovered.
Mike King with PE previously featured this case on his channel and expressed the opinion that this will likely be a case prosecuted without the recovery of a body. (YT posted up-thread).

The suspect JB does not appear to be somebody that would cooperate with LE and would probably remain silent and gamble on his chance at conviction.

The desert area surrounding DR's farm is very vast and it could take years for a hiker or desert explorer to encounter DR's remains. MK doesn't think DR will be found by LE. MOO

Although "no body" prosecutions are often successful, there still needs to be significant evidence that a crime occurred and that the accused individual had motive and opportunity.

The evidence available to us by Websleuths policies essentially consists of:
1) DR has been missing a long time with no sightings.
2) His boots were found in an unexpected place
3) His truck was partially washed and the seat moved forward
4) He released an employee who is a convicted felon who had illegal possession of forearms and is known to have a short violent temper. This might suggests motive and opportunity, although the "firing" was originally presented as a mutual parting.

Short of actual threats made against DR or witnessed episodes of animosity between DR and possible suspects, I doubt this case is prosecuted without a body.

Although "no body" prosecutions are often successful, there still needs to be significant evidence that a crime occurred and that the accused individual had motive and opportunity.

The evidence available to us by Websleuths policies essentially consists of:
1) DR has been missing a long time with no sightings.
2) His boots were found in an unexpected place
3) His truck was partially washed and the seat moved forward
4) He released an employee who is a convicted felon who had illegal possession of forearms and is known to have a short violent temper. This might suggests motive and opportunity, although the "firing" was originally presented as a mutual parting.

Short of actual threats made against DR or witnessed episodes of animosity between DR and possible suspects, I doubt this case is prosecuted without a body.
Dylan did not fire JB but a different employee who is not an official suspect.

Dylan did not fire JB but a different employee who is not an official suspect.
Thanks for the correction.

Lack of motive is the biggest question I have about this whole case. In most cases where someone is involuntarily missing, there are one or more person with some type of motive: money, domestic violence/jealousy, sex crime, or hate crime. I don't sense a strong motive in this case. I have entertained the possibility an unstable person somehow snapped, but such a person would likely not do a decent job of hiding the evidence.

I'm sure that when an arrest is made, things will make sense, but for now, it seems the motive for this presumed crime is being kept quiet by LE.

Thanks for the correction.

Lack of motive is the biggest question I have about this whole case. In most cases where someone is involuntarily missing, there are one or more person with some type of motive: money, domestic violence/jealousy, sex crime, or hate crime. I don't sense a strong motive in this case. I have entertained the possibility an unstable person somehow snapped, but such a person would likely not do a decent job of hiding the evidence.

I'm sure that when an arrest is made, things will make sense, but for now, it seems the motive for this presumed crime is being kept quiet by LE.
I wonder if there is a consensus about this being planned vs unplanned. The perp(s) had plenty of time (from several hours to days) to cover their tracks.

If indeed JB is responsible, I believe it was an argument and/or confrontation that turned fatal. The gate may have been the trigger that morning, or another issue. I believe there was animosity that had been building up, from disagreements to the idea of a 19 year-old calling the shots per say. I'm uncertain, however, if there was any assistance in moving or disposing of DR.

I'm curious as well what evidence / data, LE and especially the FBI was able to retrieve. Once the FBI was involved there was heavy presence in and around the grain shed. I would imagine there was some form of a geofence warrant to determine in addition to DR, who else may have been in the area. Since JB was squatting near the shed, it wouldn't be unusual for his phone to ping, but not sure how specific of an area could be determined. I also wonder if soil samples taken could determine blood, and other possible evidence. CC said in a recent interview that she believes DR never left the farm / shed; ie. meaning whatever happened, happened there. Not sure if this "feeling" was based on information shared to the family by LE or just her gut instinct. I too feel, unfortunately, that it will take months or even years, for DR's body to be found unless there was help and someone is willing to provide info in exchange for a better deal.

A post from Dylan's mom on the official Find Dylan.. fb page. Apparently nothing was found on JB's property in Nevada:

I just got off the phone with ECSO, unfortunately there was nothing on Brenner's property that was searched in NV today. As a family we would like to thank ECSO for their assistance. This is in no way a set back on bringing Dylan home, this is just one place we can check off the list.

Since there is no indication that Dylan is dead, is there any speculation that he just walked away from it all and started a new life?

Since there is no indication that Dylan is dead, is there any speculation that he just walked away from it all and started a new life?
Without his boots and truck, he would have had to have help to move away. It is also unlikely he would have partially washed his truck before leaving (unless he originally planned to take his truck but changed his mind).

I know nothing of his social life in such a desolate place. But I have heard nothing about a significant other with whom he might have left.

I have also considered self-harm, but it is hard for a suicide victim to hide the body. I have basically ruled this out.

Without me evidence to the contrary, I believe foul-play is involved.

Feeling like that train of thought will factor in to a defense if he isn't found. I hope his grandmother's statement regarding the last phone call has been legally memorialized (this trial could be many years from now), because it would go to his state of mind that morning (not someone moving on to a new life out of the blue).

Did we know JB owned property out there?
It was known that JB moved to the trailer previously occupied/squatted by CV (located near the shelter where DR parked his grain truck) after JB lost his Montello, NV dwelling to a fire but I don't think it was known that JB "owned" the property. It appears this search came from a tip turned in to the FBI. MOO

[Lance] Kelly also said they had tipped the FBI about something odd on Brenner’s property.

“What I saw there (Brenner property) when we showed up was the burnt frame of his trailer,” Kelly said. “There was clearly an explosion. We walked a little bit further and my wife noticed two shovels. One of them sticking straight up out of the ground and next to the shovels were two depressions of dirt where someone had clearly been digging and had filled them back in and near one of the depressions was a pick ax.”

He said they documented the area and forwarded what they found to the FBI. It may have been the probable cause needed for authorities to convince a Nevada judge to sign off on the warrant.

8/15/22 Missing in Utah: Search warrant executed on suspect in disappearance of Dylan Rounds

ETA: Just noticed that the YT video posted by up-thread by @margarita25 was removed from YT due to a copyright claim by Lance Kelly. I can't help but be suspicious about the reported shovels and depressions of dirt at JB's property. Was this the result of previous trespassing on JB's property searching for DR or a social media host filming FBI/LE for clicks?

Last edited:

8/16/22

ELKO – Law enforcement from two states searched the Nevada property of a man who has been named as a suspect in the disappearance of a 19-year-old Utah man nearly 12 weeks ago.

The Elko County Sheriff’s Office assisted the Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office with the search warrant Monday on a parcel of land owned by James A. Brenner. They were hoping to locate information that would lead to the location of Dylan Rounds, a Utah farmer who was reported missing at the end of May.

Personnel from the two departments used advanced searching methods, which included cadaver dogs, drones, and archaeological excavation procedures to process Brenner’s property. No items of interest or evidence was discovered on the property during the search, stated the ECSO.

[..]

Brenner is currently in the Weber County Jail on the earlier firearms charges and an assault charge, reported ABC News in Salt Lake City.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back