UT UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, wkg on farm, “weird run-in” with a guy walking on gravel rd, no phone & CC activity, Lucin, Box Elder Co, 25 May 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the family’s frustration, but the age old adage “you get more flies with honey” has stuck around all these years for a reason.

Respectfully, all that the family has gone through, stated in their own words, leads me to believe the family is rightfully upset. The problem is MSM isn't reporting the family's account. Therefore it can't be linked here. All I can suggest is that you hunt down Dylan's mother's interviews on YouTube.

I understand the family’s frustration, but the age old adage “you get more flies with honey” has stuck around all these years for a reason.
Honey is nice.
But it only goes so far and now they have had the entirely opposite experience of a helpful and dedicated Sheriff dept - ECSO- and the seriousness of the omissions are glaring.
There is only so far people will be pushed or bullied..

Respectfully, all that the family has gone through, stated in their own words, leads me to believe the family is rightfully upset. The problem is MSM isn't reporting the family's account. Therefore it can't be linked here. All I can suggest is that you hunt down Dylan's mother's interviews on YouTube.
Honestly, I see both sides of the coin in this case.

Agreed. It's not the role of law enforcement to cooperate with the family, especially if there is a criminal investigation taking place. We simply don't know what they know, or to what extent they have moved this along.

We know where his last ping was, so I've been annoyed for a while that the focus has been on Nevada.

The family has done a great job in regards to getting the word out, and that's not to say that we may ultimately learn that they have a point. That being said, a release like this isn't helpful, and it does you no good to further any potential rift.

There can be a fine line between helping find a missing person, and damaging those efforts.

Last edited:
Glad to see the addition of the FBI & Texas EquuSearch!! Not to take anything away from BECSO and their efforts - but the release sounds a bit defensive. If you were able to listen to the DutyRon interview with CC, you get what I'm saying ...

I hope there is resolution for Dyan's family soon.
I get what you are saying. DutyRon did a great job. The BECSO press release doesn't address alot. Especially a particular interaction between them and the family, and how the truck was handled.

''Among the myriad list of agencies now involved, the release lists the FBI, the Ogden Police Department, the Davis County Sheriff’s Office, police departments in Nevada and Idaho, plus search and rescue units from all three states including Utah Department of Public Safety helicopters and a horseback search unit from Texas.

The statement asks that anyone with information contact the Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office at 435-723-5227, 435-734-3894, 435-257-3131, or by private message on the sheriff’s Facebook page, listed as Box Elder County Sheriff’s Department.

Chief Deputy Palmer noted that Box Elder sheriff’s detectives and deputies have logged over 650 hours on the case, working around the clock, weekdays and weekends.''

Generally speaking, whenever there's a case where the family of the missing person publicly antagonizes in any way LE it never goes well. Dylan is missing, making certain remarks about LE won't help Dylan at all.

Staying quiet and playing nice will never bring about change, either.

Over and over we read about how families of the missing are let down by LE who don't take reports seriously, are too overworked/underfunded to help, or in some cases are just plain ambivalent and disinterested. That needs to change, otherwise we're all going to be here regurgitating the same thoughts 25 years from now. I get that, as the professionals, LE has a process and guidelines within which they have to conduct an investigation, and that's as it should be. What isn't acceptable is ignoring, ghosting, or being disrespectful to family & loved ones of the missing. Sadly enough, that seems to almost be the norm anymore, which is unfair to those departments who work so hard and go out of their way to really protect and serve their communities.

Random thought as I was pondering the unpredictable heavy rainfall we've had here in the Midwest. What if there was a very heavy burst of rain before Dylan was able to move the grain truck. He goes to move it, but it's stuck in the mud. In a bind, he goes and gets his truck and uses it to pull the grain truck out of the mud. Afterwards, he has to power wash the mud off his personal truck.

I suppose this theory would only work if the grain truck was muddy, but it explains the ruts in the mud and the power washing. Also gets us nowhere unless Dylan was so frustrated he took off.
The 4 wheel drive didn't work in his pickup truck. I don't believe he could have pulled a loaded grain truck in mud without it. MOO.

Generally speaking, whenever there's a case where the family of the missing person publicly antagonizes in any way LE it never goes well. Dylan is missing, making certain remarks about LE won't help Dylan at all.
According to Dylan's mother on DutyRon podcast, Utah LE started being more responsive only after she criticized them in public.

I get the family’s frustration. I really do. If I had a missing loved one I would raise heaven and earth to try and find them. I would have 100,000 searchers if I could. I would have every type of specialized team imaginable and the most up-to-date technical equipment if I could afford it. However, I also know that a small department covering a vast area has limited resources. I also know that there are guidelines which determine when outside agencies can be brought in to work on a case.
Americans value their freedom. We need to remember that any adult can walk away from their life at any time. Police cannot break into homes or vehicles nor can they search property without a warrant which requires that there must be probable cause to believe a crime has been committed. In the first several days, there was no evidence of foul play In Dylan’s case.
LE was notified 2 days after Dylan was last heard from. In the meantime, farm workers/family friends were combing the area. How careful were they to preserve evidence? Did they touch anything? Did they leave footprints?
LE arrived late afternoon on Monday and within an hour had found what appear to be Dylan’s boots. Dylan’s truck was parked and locked and his trailer showed no sign of forced entry or ransacking.
The ECSO responded to a residence at the instance of Dylan’s parents who told them that someone had told them that Dylan was being held hostage. The report was a hoax.
The family also put out a poster naming a POI who was not named by LE. If that person had turned out to be an actual suspect who was under investigation or surveillance, he was surely tipped off by the careless poster.
These are reasons that LE doesn’t share everything with victims’ families, why they say they won’t release information that may interfere with an investigation. They are also trying to protect against vigilantism. In the case of the hostage hoax, Dylan’s dad said he would take matters into his own hands if ECSO didn’t respond. What if he showed up there with a gun?
The family broke the window of Dylan’s truck so they could move it. We don’t know if LE had left it undisturbed originally so that they could go back to forensically investigate the interior if it turned out that foul play was involved. LE had no right to tow it at that time.
I know Dylan’s family is desperate to find their son. Sometimes when LE is reticent about sharing information, it is to protect them from theirselves. It doesn’t mean they aren’t doing anything.
I‘ve attached some information about Box Elder County and the BESO. The info on the SO’s staffing comes from a 2013 annual report. I could not find a more recent one. I’m sure staff numbers may be a bit higher, but not by much as the population has risen from a bit over 50,000 people to over 54,000 people.
For what it’s worth, BESO received one call to Lucin in 2013.
I’m not trying to be a LE fan boy. It’s possible that LE did make some mistakes here, but we have to remember that they were called in 2 days late to a very compromised location. They are a small department covering a vast area. I am seeing an unwarranted amount of LE bashing, particularly on the official FB page.

Attachments

• 45B8C204-D7A6-4C1E-88AA-5308BB93F8CC.jpeg
    45B8C204-D7A6-4C1E-88AA-5308BB93F8CC.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 1858DD79-F101-4A5E-BCD1-E16696F57D7F.jpeg
    1858DD79-F101-4A5E-BCD1-E16696F57D7F.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 15
  • C9A9F310-06FC-4CEA-B6A3-C63F66980751.jpeg
    C9A9F310-06FC-4CEA-B6A3-C63F66980751.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 34EB314E-8C31-44D1-B725-B0524EB89FDD.jpeg
    34EB314E-8C31-44D1-B725-B0524EB89FDD.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 14
Here at WS, we are fact based in our analysis of any situation. This makes the reporting on this case particularly frustrating because of all the misinformation. The family has really done a pretty good job getting Dylan’s story out there and keeping it fresh. If that’s their sole motivation, then the facts don’t really matter.

From the family’s interviews I get the impression that there is a lot they aren’t saying and I think it’s because there are particular individuals that they don’t want to draw attention to. There are inter-connections between people in Montello, Lucin and certain towns in Idaho. There are some wealthy individuals who own land in the area. There is definitely an old-boys network in play. Looking at property ownership and businesses in the area there are layers of LLC’s in both Utah and Nevada.

A hypothetical example of what I’m talking about is: a business owner in small town Nevada who has a sibling that lives in Idaho Falls.

I get the family’s frustration. I really do. If I had a missing loved one I would raise heaven and earth to try and find them. I would have 100,000 searchers if I could. I would have every type of specialized team imaginable and the most up-to-date technical equipment if I could afford it. However, I also know that a small department covering a vast area has limited resources. I also know that there are guidelines which determine when outside agencies can be brought in to work on a case.
Americans value their freedom. We need to remember that any adult can walk away from their life at any time. Police cannot break into homes or vehicles nor can they search property without a warrant which requires that there must be probable cause to believe a crime has been committed. In the first several days, there was no evidence of foul play In Dylan’s case.
LE was notified 2 days after Dylan was last heard from. In the meantime, farm workers/family friends were combing the area. How careful were they to preserve evidence? Did they touch anything? Did they leave footprints?
LE arrived late afternoon on Monday and within an hour had found what appear to be Dylan’s boots. Dylan’s truck was parked and locked and his trailer showed no sign of forced entry or ransacking.
The ECSO responded to a residence at the instance of Dylan’s parents who told them that someone had told them that Dylan was being held hostage. The report was a hoax.
The family also put out a poster naming a POI who was not named by LE. If that person had turned out to be an actual suspect who was under investigation or surveillance, he was surely tipped off by the careless poster.
These are reasons that LE doesn’t share everything with victims’ families, why they say they won’t release information that may interfere with an investigation. They are also trying to protect against vigilantism. In the case of the hostage hoax, Dylan’s dad said he would take matters into his own hands if ECSO didn’t respond. What if he showed up there with a gun?
The family broke the window of Dylan’s truck so they could move it. We don’t know if LE had left it undisturbed originally so that they could go back to forensically investigate the interior if it turned out that foul play was involved. LE had no right to tow it at that time.
I know Dylan’s family is desperate to find their son. Sometimes when LE is reticent about sharing information, it is to protect them from theirselves. It doesn’t mean they aren’t doing anything.
I‘ve attached some information about Box Elder County and the BESO. The info on the SO’s staffing comes from a 2013 annual report. I could not find a more recent one. I’m sure staff numbers may be a bit higher, but not by much as the population has risen from a bit over 50,000 people to over 54,000 people.
I’m not trying to be a LE fan boy. It’s possible that LE did make some mistakes here, but we have to remember that they were called in 2 days late to a very compromised location. They are a small department covering a vast area. I am seeing an unwarranted amount of LE bashing, particularly on the official FB page.
Nice balanced post. Thank you.

''Among the myriad list of agencies now involved, the release lists the FBI, the Ogden Police Department, the Davis County Sheriff’s Office, police departments in Nevada and Idaho, plus search and rescue units from all three states including Utah Department of Public Safety helicopters and a horseback search unit from Texas.

The statement asks that anyone with information contact the Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office at 435-723-5227, 435-734-3894, 435-257-3131, or by private message on the sheriff’s Facebook page, listed as Box Elder County Sheriff’s Department.

Chief Deputy Palmer noted that Box Elder sheriff’s detectives and deputies have logged over 650 hours on the case, working around the clock, weekdays and weekends.''
IMO While I completely understand the families efforts, the above BBM seems to indicate that there is a great deal work being put into finding Dylan by multiple agencies. I would venture to say that there are more agencies involved with this case than I have personally seen in most of the missing persons cases I've followed.

''Among the myriad list of agencies now involved, the release lists the FBI, the Ogden Police Department, the Davis County Sheriff’s Office, police departments in Nevada and Idaho, plus search and rescue units from all three states including Utah Department of Public Safety helicopters and a horseback search unit from Texas."
I hope the family gets some answers soon.

Always appreciate your posts Old Cop.
I am an LE fangirl, and have a deep appreciation for what they face. The resource issue you bring up is real.

This being said, I can honestly say that if this were my kid missing I would do the same as Dylan's Mom. I'd be turning over every stone and going wild. I know I would, and would be willing to accept blame for anything I goofed up.

Aside from preserving evidence and the integrity of an investigation, LE has to worry about liability when citizens get involved. Proper waivers need to be signed in case someone gets hurt, or worse. I'm bringing this up b/c I think LE in general needs a new playbook on how to deploy citizens (especially those with search and rescue expertise) during these type of crises. I don't think we are fully exploited the person power that citizens can bring to the plate. I don't have all the answers, but I do think this is an area we need to rethink and re-operationalize.

Amateur opinion and speculation

SBM. The mother said on the same podcast that the Sheriff told the family they could do whatever they wanted with the pickup and he stood by when the rear window was busted to gain access. LE has not expressed interest in the pickup at any point.

I have the same question. It was VERY informative on the location of the grain truck/farm area, the trailer ad t

I am curious if the heavy rain that fell could have cleaned the truck vs it being power washed. I watched the interview with her and it showed the mud still in the tire wells.. I just thought maybe heavy rain also made the area around the truck clear of tire tracks and so on. I don't know enough about what it would look like and what rain would do vs what a power washer would do. I heavy enough downpour I would think could remove quite a bit of the dirt and mud similar to how a power washer would, but maybe not?
CC said in the interview refered to, that the front wheel wells weren't cleaned but the back wheel wells were clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke