UT UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, wkg on farm, “weird run-in” with a guy walking on gravel rd, no phone & CC activity, Lucin, Box Elder Co, 25 May 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. Lucin is about 26 miles from Montello. So how did Dylan get there?
Also, the main route to Montello is Hwy 30. That road is just about 5 miles from Lucin. See attached maps.
Since his shoes were found 5 miles from the farm, my thoughts initially were that he might have walked up to 30 to hitchhike into town and something happened there. However, why do that if you have a truck? And if he was actually seen in Montello that evening, whatever happened happened on the way back?
Did LE check to see if his truck was operable?
Did Dylan have someone pick him up at the farm and bring him to town?
Lucin and Montello are in different time zones.
Reports indicate Dylan often went to Montello and was well known and recognized, so this doesn't appear to be a random trip where he was lured, etc.
@OldCop point...how did he get there this particular time if he didn't drive himself which appears to be the case.

Additional note regarding the boots, they were discovered behind a large dirt pile (per the official missing flyer) which doesn't, unfortunately, bode well on the surface.

Reports indicate Dylan often went to Montello and was well known and recognized, so this doesn't appear to be a random trip where he was lured, etc.
@OldCop point...how did he get there this particular time if he didn't drive himself which appears to be the case.

Additional note regarding the boots, they were discovered behind a large dirt pile (per the official missing flyer) which doesn't, unfortunately, bode well on the surface.
Did anyone dig into that dirt pile?

Here's the latest official flyer including updated information with BCSO Detective contact information. Hoping this falls within guidelines.

Attachments

• 286326880_5773180992695420_6529569438064256829_n.jpg
    286326880_5773180992695420_6529569438064256829_n.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 150
Here's the latest official flyer including updated information with BCSO Detective contact information. Hoping this falls within guidelines.
Here’s the link to the official family Facebook page: FIND DYLAN ROUNDS (Official) | Facebook

I came to post the flyer and see you already have. It has a photo of the mound of dirt that the boots were found near and IMO it looks like the dirt pile was recently made. I really hope someone is going to dig to search in that pile. Why is it there? Who created that pile? It all seems odd.

V strange about the boots. Was he wearing them in Montello when he was seen? If so, how did they end up 5 miles from the farm?

Talking this over with my husband (from a farm family) he has the opinion that a farmer would never come out of his shoes in the field unless they were super muddy and therefore heavy. From the photos it appears this area is dry, dry, dry. Which makes me wonder if the barefoot man either took the boots or was given them, then decided when walking he'd rather be barefoot (they didn't fit well, blisters, etc.) and he pitched them. JMO.

I also agree they need to check that dirt pile unless it's obviously undisturbed.

LE are being very quiet on this! My suspicion is that he drove into Montello himself on the evening of the 28th. The information states that he was seen in Montello, but not that he was with anybody else and no other persons of interest have been named (that I've heard of).

The problem with the lack of info is that we don't even know where in Montello he was! It's a very small town, but there's comments on the fb page from people stating they were in both bars on that evening and Dylan wasn't there. So where was he? Surely LE need to at least say "he was last seen at this time and at this specific place..."?

Interesting. Lucin is about 26 miles from Montello. So how did Dylan get there?
Also, the main route to Montello is Hwy 30. That road is just about 5 miles from Lucin. See attached maps.
Since his shoes were found 5 miles from the farm, my thoughts initially were that he might have walked up to 30 to hitchhike into town and something happened there. However, why do that if you have a truck? And if he was actually seen in Montello that evening, whatever happened happened on the way back?
Did LE check to see if his truck was operable?
Did Dylan have someone pick him up at the farm and bring him to town?
Lucin and Montello are in different time zones.
Just in response to your question about LE checking his truck. Dylan's mother has stated on the FB group that they have not fingerprinted Dylan's truck, which has now had over 50 people touching it (according to her post). Pretty shocking from a LE perspective!? Certainly any case I've ever been involved in here in the UK, that would be treated as a crime scene, particularly by this point.

Some thoughts on the boots:
-Were the boots found his work/farm boots or were they boots he would wear when he went into town?
-Do they know for certain that they are Dylan’s boots? Is there something distinctive about these boots or are they a common type of boot? Around where I live, a lot of people have the same brand boots for working around the farm because we are rural and retail choices are limited.
-If they are his farm boots, does he have the habit of leaving them outside at night? My husband has his work boots hanging on hooks on our back porch. If he left them outside, or maybe in a vehicle like the grain truck, they could have been stolen and abandoned 5 miles away. Rural Utah, like so many rural areas in the US, has a major problem with drug addiction and the crime/thefts by users looking for quick money.

On another note, comparing the locations given on the missing posters on Google maps, I'm assuming the boots were found near the below location. The poster says they were found 5 miles west of the farm...exactly 5 miles west is a road that leads to/from Montello. So one would assume it's around that area. The roads that head north/other directions don't fit with the distance.

Someone abducts Dylan from his farm, for whatever reason they dispose of his boots behind the only pile of dirt you can see for miles, presumably so they wouldn't be seen if driving past, then head back towards Montello with him in their vehicle? Probably jumping the gun, but it's a strange case.

1654634538121.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Just catching up. This is a weird one. First, I find it hard to believe that a young man at the age of 19 wouldn't be interested in anything except working. That just doesn't seem realistic to me. Even the Amish get their rumspringa. JMO but I get the feeling he had a lot of pressure from his parents as to what was expected of him. So I'm hoping that he is out there somewhere experiencing some fun things. That's my hope but that's not what I think happened.

If Dylan knew the person he had the run in with, then why wouldn't he tell his family that persons name? If he knew the person why would they be in town asking questions about him and looking for where he lives? Wouldn't they already know that? If he didn't know the person then why would people in town that know Dylan(bc he makes frequent trips there) willingly drive a possibly high/erratic behaving person out to his property? Knowing that Dylan is alone out there? Did DR and the towns people know this person? Small towns are welcoming but protective of each other. Honestly, I could keep going with the questions but I've thoroughly confused myself while writing this post. It's all a jumble in the noggin. I'm hoping answers come very soon and Dylan comes home.

LE are being very quiet on this! My suspicion is that he drove into Montello himself on the evening of the 28th. The information states that he was seen in Montello, but not that he was with anybody else and no other persons of interest have been named (that I've heard of).

The problem with the lack of info is that we don't even know where in Montello he was! It's a very small town, but there's comments on the fb page from people stating they were in both bars on that evening and Dylan wasn't there. So where was he? Surely LE need to at least say "he was last seen at this time and at this specific place..."?
Wasn't his pickup discovered at his home?

Some thoughts on the boots:
-Were the boots found his work/farm boots or were they boots he would wear when he went into town?
-Do they know for certain that they are Dylan’s boots? Is there something distinctive about these boots or are they a common type of boot? Around where I live, a lot of people have the same brand boots for working around the farm because we are rural and retail choices are limited.
<snipped>

These boots are stuck in my mind! Yeah if not Dylan's maybe they were the barefoot man's, and that's why he was barefoot? If LE didn't process Dylan's truck yet (mentioned upthread) what are the chances they checked these boots for DNA?

From the OP and BBM:
“The man was walking down the gravel road barefoot. He flagged Dylan down, who was in his truck. He asked to use Dylan’s phone and was acting erratically. Dylan felt the man was dangerous and may have been high. When he asked Dylan for a ride, (Dylan) did not give him a ride,” Wells explains.

So Dylan said no to a ride but did he let him use his phone? Wonder who he called?

<modsnip>saying he was last seen in the town of Montello and not at the farm/ranch as previously stated. There is an updated poster of Dylan as well with this info. This poster can also be seen on his official (family members) FB page Find Dylan Rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't his pickup discovered at his home?
It was yes, so my assumption being that he drove back home in his truck and something happened thereafter. I just find the fact that the boots were found discarded between his house and Montello very odd.

Like, if he had got a lift to Montello that night with someone, and on the way back to his house something went wrong and he was attacked, that would explain the boots being dumped there. But if that were the case then surely whoever he was with in Montello would be a person of interest or LE would have appealed for that person to come forward, but they haven't done. So I'm guessing he's returned home of his own accord and something has happened to him after that.

Again, without LE actually clarifying anything its difficult!

If he was last seen in town then why is no one coming forward? I’m sure they are aware of the current situation. Someone saw him. I’m sure several someone’s. The lack of information out there makes me think LE has a pretty good idea of what’s going on and are keeping it close for now. The mother worries me. While it’s her right to say whatever she wants, she could jeopardize the investigation by giving out sensitive information. Or rile people up by naming names(falsely or not)when LE hasn’t even said anything yet. This case will be solved. I can feel it, but I’m completely stumped on how it will unfold. I have a couple theories. None that would pass the TOS. JMO MMO

I think it's important as she's saying he was last seen in the town of Montello
<snipped>
Wiki info about Montello (BBM):

"Montello is a census-designated place (CDP) in Elko County, Nevada, United States. It is home to Montello Elementary School, which is part of the Elko County School District. The population of Montello was 50 as of the 2018 American Community Survey. Two small bars and a market/motel selling fuel and sundries comprise the business district. Various cattle ranching operations surround the area".

So I got in my little google car (street view) and looked around Montello. Now I'm wondering where he was seen in Montello, population 50+? Business or residence? Here's practically all the businesses in Montello (not much to choose from):

Montello Gas & Grocery closes at 5pm
1654643345601.png

Cowboys Bar closes at 11pm

1654646093959.png

Saddle Sore Bar closes at 2AM

1654646283498.png

10 Room Pilot Motel

1654646351287.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online