UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s unexpected death last year, May 2023 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Peter @ the LYK has a new spin for his podcast.
He explains it then gets into Kouri Richins with a guest, Whitney,

Lawyers and especially people in his life who are focused on a particular case every week.

More cases and brand new cases with different perspectives.

Last edited:
Monday, Sept. 23rd:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 3pm MT) - UT - Eric Eugene Richins (39) poisoned with a lethal dose of fentanyl by wife on Mar. 3, 2022 in Kamas. - *Kouri Darden Richins (33/now 34) arrested (5/8/23) & charged (6/5/23) with 2nd degree aggravated murder & 3 counts of possession of drugs with intent to distribute. [These charges were dismissed on 3/25/24-see recharges]. Re-charged (3/25/24) with 2 counts of 1st degree criminal homicide aggravated murder (DV), 2 counts of 2nd degree distribution of a controlled substance, 2 counts of 2nd degree mortgage fraud (Iron Bridge Financial & Boomerrang Finance), 2 counts of 2nd degree insurance fraud & 2 counts of 3rd degree forgery. Held without bond. Bond denied (6/12/23). DA will not seek DP (8/18/23). 3rd Judicial District Court Summit County
*Civil case vs Katie Richins Benson. Property dispute.
Civil case [#221200316]: After Kouri failed to show evidence she complied with the agreement, Justice Court Judge Brendan McCullagh found Kouri guilty of the assault on 5/13/24.
Murder Trial set to begin on 4/28/25.
Third District court Judge Richard Mrazik presiding. Prosecutors Patricia Cassell & Brad Bloodworth & Defense attorneys Kathy Nester & Wendy Lewis.

Case & court info from 6/5/23 thru 8/21/24 reference post #289 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ted-death-last-year-may-2023-3.711978/page-15

8/26/24 Update: Preliminary hearing day 1: Summit County Chief Prosecutor Brad Bloodworth is providing the court with an overview of the state’s preliminary case. The first witness was Det. Jeff O’Driscoll, the investigator the state called in Richins’ detention hearing. The state did not ask him questions, so Richins’ attorney Wendy Lewis began with the cross examination. Prosecutor Brad Bloodworth then did his redirect of O'Driscoll. Next witness was former Salt Lake City homicide investigator Chris Kotrodimos. The state is using him as a digital forensics expert & has retained him as an investigative consultant. Summit County prosecutor Joe Hill asked questions of Kotrodimos. Investigative consultant Kotrodimos testified that call logs, texts, web history & web searches were deleted from Kouri Richins’ primary phone from January to mid-March 2022. Defense attorney Alex Ramos is crossing witness and investigative consultant Lotrodimos. And redirect by Prosecutor Hill. Next witness was forensic accountant Brooke Karrington, who also testified at the detention hearing last year. Prosecutor Byron Burmester asks her about Richins’ alleged financial crimes. On top of attempted & aggravated murder, she’s accused of mortgage fraud, forgery & insurance fraud. Direct by prosecutor Burmester. Defense attorney Kathy Nester cross-examined Karrington. Judge Richard Mrazik ended the proceedings shortly before 5pm. Neither the state nor the defense say they will call any more witnesses. The preliminary hearing will resume at 10am, 8/27/24, half an hour later than initially scheduled. Richins' defense team has indicated she will waive her right to testify & Mrazik could rule whether she stands trial for the 11 felonies she's accused of tomorrow. For more info see post #271 page 14, thread #3.
8/27/24 Update: The state has rested its case & Richins’ defense team has advised her not to testify. She has waived her right to do so. Summit County prosecutors are set to make oral arguments about why there is probable cause for a trial. No other witnesses are going to testify. During the state’s oral argument, Judge Richard Mrazik says he agrees that Richins had financial & love interest motives to kill her husband. He also says there is probable cause that she purchased a controlled substance. But he’s not sure if the state can show probable cause that she gave Eric Richins fentanyl on Valentine’s Day 2022, a month before he died. Judge Richard Mrazik said prosecutors showed probable cause for all 11 felonies & Richins pleaded not guilty for all 11. Jury selection is scheduled for the last week of April. More discussion is needed about how jury selection will work, Judge Richard Mrazik said. The parties may meet for a pretrial conference on 9/23/24 @ 3pm. Jury selection may last a week, the attorneys estimate. Richins appeared stoic as the judge delivered the news that a jury would soon decide her fate. She has been adamant in maintaining she is innocent & entered pleas of “not guilty” to all 11 counts on Tuesday. Her trial is set to begin on 4/28/25. For more info see post #295, page, thread #3.

Any news on yesterday's hearing? I am finding zip.... TIA! :)
The pretrial conference was held -- covered by Court TV.

9/23/24

Prosecutors and defense attorney discussed juror impartiality at a pretrial conference Monday.​

Kamas mother of three Kouri Richins is scheduled to stand trial for her husband’s murder, attempted murder, drug distribution and financial crimes over three weeks in May 2025.

The case has made international news, and defense attorney Kathy Nester informed a 3rd District judge at a pretrial conference Sept. 23 she and her team plan to motion for a change of venue.

The pretrial conference was held -- covered by Court TV.

Thanks for those links - but they did not have or say the next hearing date? Did you hear one or did I miss it? TIA! :)

Thanks for those links - but they did not have or say the next hearing date? Did you hear one or did I miss it? TIA! :)
No, I don't think they addressed this on camera. I also checked the calendar for the next 30 days and the only thing that populated was the hearing on 9/23 which now complete. Seems the team will be busy dealing with change of venue tests and practices. I don't think it will matter where the jury comes from -- evidence alone will bury KR. JMO

No, I don't think they addressed this on camera. I also checked the calendar for the next 30 days and the only thing that populated was the hearing on 9/23 which now complete. Seems the team will be busy dealing with change of venue tests and practices. I don't think it will matter where the jury comes from -- evidence alone will bury KR. JMO

Okay - thanks! And yes - I agree - who cares Where it is held - evidence is there! :)

bbm

Her attorneys also said Sept. 23 they plan to ask the court to separate the charges into multiple trials.

Richins has been held without bail since her May 2023 arrest and June 2023 detention hearing. Her attorneys want the court to reconsider that decision. A hearing is set for Oct. 28.

Kouri Richins’ new defense team may ask court to expand jury pool

September 23, 2024 at 5:22 PM MDT

bbm

Her attorneys also said Sept. 23 they plan to ask the court to separate the charges into multiple trials.

Richins has been held without bail since her May 2023 arrest and June 2023 detention hearing. Her attorneys want the court to reconsider that decision. A hearing is set for Oct. 28.

Kouri Richins’ new defense team may ask court to expand jury pool

September 23, 2024 at 5:22 PM MDT

Thanks for that extra info & next trial dates! :)

edited to add - do you have the times for these hearings? In the court site yet?

Last edited:
Thanks for that extra info & next trial dates! :)

edited to add - do you have the times for these hearings? In the court site yet?
@Niner I am listening to the hearing right now and the October 28th hearing on defense counsel forthcoming request to reconsider detention is at 3:30PM MDT. The November 12th motions hearing is 9:30am MDT

FYI thanks for all you do!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lupa
Back