UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s unexpected death last year, May 2023 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way to “prove” her innocence? Any ideas ?

As with all criminal cases, the burden is on the prosecutor to prove her guilty of the charges and the defense need not do anything. But as to proof of her innocence, nothing short of the defense formally submitting an alibi and alibi witnesses will assist her here. JMO

ETA: Bryan Kohberger seems to be going this route, but not very convincingly.

For those who are interested:

bbm - 1:30 pm PT

KAMAS, Utah (ABC4) — Kouri Richins, the Kamas mother and Utah author accused of poisoning and killing her husband in March 2022, is scheduled to appear in court at 1:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 1.

Friday’s appearance is in relation to the murder case where Richins faces a first-degree felony charge of aggravated murder, two second-degree felony charges of drug possession with the intent to distribute, and a Class A misdemeanor charge for drug possession with the intent to distribute.

Updated: Aug 30, 2023 / 09:04 AM MDT

For those who are interested, People has another article published Aug 30, concerning Eric's family not giving up.

Published on August 30, 2023 08:58AM EDT

Eric’s sister, Amy Richins, who videoed the family dance, pointed to a light sparkling around Kouri in the recording. “I think Eric’s dancing with them,” Kouri’s best friend, Ali, recalls Amy saying that March 2022 day. [...]

[...]
Amongst the newest allegations by Katie: Kouri stole $25,000 cash tucked away in Eric’s pajamas the night he died.

I don't doubt that KR was responsible for drugging Eric. 5 times the lethal dose is not an accidental overdose.

Nearly 4 people a day in just my county die from a fentanyl-related overdose. I'm sure every WS member can cite a fentanyl statistic from their own area but reading this statement today hurt both my heart and my head: Fentanyl’s effects wear off quicker than those of other opioids. Many people addicted to the drug say they must use every 20 minutes or so, or they will start to feel a craving or withdrawal.

I can't even imagine but it sure explains why so many are dying.

Fentanyl gets into WA in 'any manner you can think of'

Ahem....did I speculate ghost-writing of that book early on in our threads?

Eyes reddened by crying, mom and aspiring children’s book author Kouri Richins joined a Zoom business meeting with ghostwriter Shane Walter late last year from her home in Kamas, Utah.

IMO anyone who "writes" a book about her LDS murdered husband and references "Ladder Day Saints" [sic] doesn't have the brains to author said book. That's an outlandish error. The whole thing is outlandish, but if you think LDS is Ladder Day Saints, you are really out of touch. On second thoughts, maybe she lifted the whole thing: watch for a writer to come out of the woodwork, maybe at trial.

Last edited:
For those who are interested:

bbm - 1:30 pm PT

KAMAS, Utah (ABC4) — Kouri Richins, the Kamas mother and Utah author accused of poisoning and killing her husband in March 2022, is scheduled to appear in court at 1:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 1.

Friday’s appearance is in relation to the murder case where Richins faces a first-degree felony charge of aggravated murder, two second-degree felony charges of drug possession with the intent to distribute, and a Class A misdemeanor charge for drug possession with the intent to distribute.

Updated: Aug 30, 2023 / 09:04 AM MDT
More evidence is going to be presented so as to keep KR locked up? This is gonna be good. Watch for another KR hissy fit and Lazaro with pink stilettos.

For those who are interested, People has another article published Aug 30, concerning Eric's family not giving up.

Published on August 30, 2023 08:58AM EDT

Eric’s sister, Amy Richins, who videoed the family dance, pointed to a light sparkling around Kouri in the recording. “I think Eric’s dancing with them,” Kouri’s best friend, Ali, recalls Amy saying that March 2022 day. [...]

[...]
Amongst the newest allegations by Katie: Kouri stole $25,000 cash tucked away in Eric’s pajamas the night he died.
I don’t get how she faces 25 years to life in prison. I get the “life” in prison, but why possibly only 25 years, if shes convicted of premeditated murder?
That would be a very light sentence for murder, IMO.

I don’t get how she faces 25 years to life in prison. I get the “life” in prison, but why possibly only 25 years, if shes convicted of premeditated murder?
That would be a very light sentence for murder, IMO.
It might be a standard sentence. We went through this in Oregon in the Brophy trial, where 25 years to life meant 25 was mandatory. For her conviction (2nd degree, which often looks like 1st degree in other states), she's eligible for parole after 25 years, but must serve 25 with no chance to go outside prison walls. The sentencing was a mere couple of weeks or so after the conviction IIRC, and it was really about victim statements. They weren't going to affect the outcome. Brophy will be 95 or so when the 25 years (including time served) are up: slow death sentence.

Possibly, by contrast with Oregon, Utah judges have some flexibility in the length of sentence, but it must be at least 25 years. Aggravating factors would play in?

Last edited:
Friday, September 1st:
*Scheduling Conference Hearing (@ 1:30pm MT) – UT - *Eric Richins (39) poisoned with a lethal dose of fentanyl by wife on Mar. 3, 2022 in Kamas. - *Kouri Darden Richins (33) arrested (5/8/23) & charged (6/5/23) with 2nd degree arraigned aggravated murder & 3 counts of possession of drugs with intent to distribute. Held without bond. Denied bond (6/12/23). DA will not seek DP.
Judge Richard Mrazik presiding. Prosecutor Patricia Cassell & Defense attorney Skye Lazaro.
Case & court info from 6/5/23 thru 6/15/23 reference post #338 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ted-death-last-year-may-2023-2.680663/page-17

6/15/23 Update: Kouri claims that she has a right to all of the above assets including the Family Home, the Personal Property & the Business Interest. Katie Richins, the representative of Eric’s estate, has allegedly taken the position that Kouri has no right to any of these. This is separate from her claim against the Trust in March 2022 (which is still in process), as well as her claim against the Estate in February 2023 (which was denied by Eric’s sister Katie). Katie filed a petition to disqualify Kouri from the estate due to homicide, but until Kouri is, or is not, convicted, the motion cannot be granted. Next scheduling conference hearing on 6/22/23.
6/22/23 Update: Richins made her second appearance in Utah's Third District Court on Thursday. Judge Richard Mrazik wanted to set a preliminary hearing within 60 days related to the current charges & amended information. There is a possibility prosecutors may file additional charges in the case. Judge Mrazik said he felt some compulsion to keep it moving as fast as possible given that Ms. Richins is in custody & just because we have the preliminary doesn’t mean trial occurs thereafter. Both the defense & the State requested the scheduling hearing be pushed back, to which Judge Mrazik agreed. He decided there would be another scheduling conference on 9/1/23 at 1:30pm. The hope is a preliminary hearing date will be decided then. No objections from either side.
7/5/23 Update: A Heber City woman who allegedly sold the fentanyl that investigators believe was used to kill Kouri Richins’ husband made a brief appearance in court on Wednesday. Carmen Marie Lauber, 51, has not been arrested or charged with any crimes connected to the March 4, 2022, death of 39-year-old Eric Richins. However, she has been named in several court documents concerning the Kouri Richins murder case. Richins next appearance is scheduled for 9/1/23. Lauber’s next court hearing is scheduled for 8/16/23.
8/18/23 Update: The Summit County Attorney’s Office told Third District Court Friday it will not seek the death penalty against Richins if she is convicted of murder.“ This decision was made in careful consultation with Eric Richins' father and his two sisters,” prosecutors wrote in the notice they filed Friday.

Fri, September 1st 2023, 8:49 AM
Friday's meeting hearing primarily serves as a scheduling conference, providing both the prosecution and the defense an opportunity to discuss key dates and ensure all parties will be present - and prepared - during the ongoing legal process.

There's a possibility legal counsel and Judge Richard Mrazik could come to an agreement on a preliminary hearing date, as well.

From the hearing -- the defense alleges the amount of discovery is so vast that they think it will be Feb or March 2024 before they'll be ready for the Preliminary hearing. But the defense also didn't want to set a date today and agreed to return to Court for a status conference on Nov 3 to set a date for the Prelim.

Judge Richard Mrazik seemed perplexed about why if the defense has no issues with outstanding discovery, what's the hold up -- especially since the defendant is in custody! Attorney Lazaro replied it was because she needed to "read everything" she received in discovery. Judge Mrazik reminded Lazaro the PH is about probable cause...

Seems to me the defense strategy hopes to confuse the jurors with the financial allegations and the financial information (i.e., back to her detention hearing fallback that her client is bad at math but she's not a murderer). JMO

Kouri Richins' search history could complicate defense, former FBI agent says | NewsNation Now​

Sep 1, 2023 #Richins #Coffindaffer #Poison
NewsNation law and justice contributor Jennifer Coffindaffer says a Utah woman's Google search for information about whether police can uncover deleted text messages could be a hurdle in the woman's defense. Kouri Richins is accused of poisoning her husband with a fentanyl-laced drink.

From the hearing -- the defense alleges the amount of discovery is so vast that they think it will be Feb or March 2024 before they'll be ready for the Preliminary hearing. But the defense also didn't want to set a date today and agreed to return to Court for a status conference on Nov 3 to set a date for the Prelim.

Judge Richard Mrazik seemed perplexed about why if the defense has no issues with outstanding discovery, what's the hold up -- especially since the defendant is in custody! Attorney Lazaro replied it was because she needed to "read everything" she received in discovery. Judge Mrazik reminded Lazaro the PH is about probable cause...

Seems to me the defense strategy hopes to confuse the jurors with the financial allegations and the financial information (i.e., back to her detention hearing fallback that her client is bad at math but she's not a murderer). JMO

Appearances can be deceiving ...

By courtroom approach, I don't get any sense that KR's attorney is up to the task of mounting a significant defense for her. It looks like she is spending more time on wardrobe than case files, and trying to put on a Pretty Attorney Show for the cameras more than anything else. The delays aren't aggressive or meaningful, and her manner conveys like most of what is happening is a lack of comprehension and preparation on the case.

Then on her law firm's website, I read this:

Skye Lazaro is an experienced corporate and criminal defense attorney. She is Chair of the Firm’s White Collar, Criminal Defense & Government Investigations, and Cannabis Law Groups. She represents companies and individuals in all facets of government investigations, including political investigations, pre-file investigations, grand jury investigations, and other government enforcement actions. Her focus on pre-indictment advocacy, which includes providing vital factual context and legal argument on behalf of clients, has helped numerous individuals – including several formally identified as “targets” – avoid prosecution entirely. Skye has successfully defended a broad range of criminal cases including domestic violence allegations, sex crimes, drug crimes, property crimes, DUI, white-collar crimes, homicide, violent crimes, and juvenile defense. Skye also has extensive trial experience, representing clients in over one hundred jury trials throughout her career- including some of the region’s most complex and high-profile criminal matters.

So is she slyly biding her time, after which she will unleash a superb and daunting defense? Or is she just getting her name and face into public consciousness for future work, milking the clock slowly and with little to do, while her client is teased with hope that doesn't exist, and never did?

When it finally gets to the real deal and goes to trial, this should be interesting. But it may take a while.

Appearances can be deceiving ...

By courtroom approach, I don't get any sense that KR's attorney is up to the task of mounting a significant defense for her. It looks like she is spending more time on wardrobe than case files, and trying to put on a Pretty Attorney Show for the cameras more than anything else. The delays aren't aggressive or meaningful, and her manner conveys like most of what is happening is a lack of comprehension and preparation on the case.

So is she slyly biding her time, after which she will unleash a superb and daunting defense? Or is she just getting her name and face into public consciousness for future work, milking the clock slowly and with little to do, while her client is teased with hope that doesn't exist, and never did?

When it finally gets to the real deal and goes to trial, this should be interesting. But it may take a while.
I was thinking the same re bolded. Many of the comments on the YouTube are commenting on how she should be spending more time reading than on her looks, lol.
Also, her rather girlish, silly mannerisms and giggling are unprofessional, IMO.
I mean, I do not think KR is innocent, but this is a very serious matter and Lazarro comes across like she’s just passing time or something. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89