UT UT - St George, Wht/NtvMale 15-17, 692UMUT, in cave, DOD 1914-1925, 13th rib, smoker, Dec'98

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not sure what happened to all the links for this case but none of them seem to work anymore. Did those people give up?
I turned in Noel Elijah Davis as a potential match for this case in Doe Network back in May.
He went missing from Reno NV in 1915 but doesn't appear to have been reported until 2014.
He looks amazingly like the reconstruction. Noel isn't listed in Doe last I checked, and this MP doesn't appear to be listed in NamUs so I'm not sure how that works to get them compared. They both have DNA available. I'm not sure if this UID is in CODIS. Does anyone know?
I haven't heard anything back yet, so I sent off an email for an update. Still no word.
Here's Noel's NamUs page: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/24522/0/
Here's the comparison photo. Can you believe his family actually had a picture of him, 100 years later? Makes me wonder why more recent cases don't have one.
attachment.php

Attachments

• NED comparison.png
    NED comparison.png
    440.7 KB · Views: 137
My guess is that he was traveling with at least one other, he fell ill, and was sheltered in the cave. Unfortunately he passed, and I believe his companion(s) sealed the cave and took his horse as they departed. The sealing of the cave seemed respectful.
Was he found in any type of staged repose?

My guess is that he was traveling with at least one other, he fell ill, and was sheltered in the cave. Unfortunately he passed, and I believe his companion(s) sealed the cave and took his horse as they departed. The sealing of the cave seemed respectful.
Was he found in any type of staged repose?
I don't know how his body was positioned when found. I was hoping to read more about this John Doe on the Webb Hill researcher sites, but I don't think they have a working site anymore.

Not sure what happened to all the links for this case but none of them seem to work anymore. Did those people give up?
I turned in Noel Elijah Davis as a potential match for this case in Doe Network back in May.
He went missing from Reno NV in 1915 but doesn't appear to have been reported until 2014.
He looks amazingly like the reconstruction. Noel isn't listed in Doe last I checked, and this MP doesn't appear to be listed in NamUs so I'm not sure how that works to get them compared. They both have DNA available. I'm not sure if this UID is in CODIS. Does anyone know?
I haven't heard anything back yet, so I sent off an email for an update. Still no word.
Here's the comparison photo. Can you believe his family actually had a picture of him, 100 years later? Makes me wonder why more recent cases don't have one.
attachment.php

This looks very plausible, but I'm not particularly skilled at visual assessment. CarlK would be the best one for this.

What I find fascinating is how well preserved the clothing was, given the length of time the remains were there.

He most likely died as a result of the Spanish Influenza pandemic. Google "Utah spanish influenza"

That's very plausible. Unlike most flu epidemics, the Spanish flu did disproportionately kill young and healthy adults rather than children, the old and those with existing health problems.

I wonder what evidence an active lung infection leaves in a skeleton though - unless they have evidence from sputum and similar body fluids on his clothing.

In doing a little research last night, there are as many theories and lore around Everett Ruess as there are DB Cooper!
It's very heartening to see that people care about this young man, even after so many many years after his passing. Something tells me this one is going to get solved, against all odds.

I don't see this case in NamUs. I will see if I can get that updated.

This came up during a google search. Mods, if not allowed, please delete.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedMysteries/comments/28pkd9/who_was_lil_webb/

This is something I've been wondering about this week - often we read about DNA being checked against known individuals with missing relatives, but how often is it checked for matches in a larger database?

For example, my great-grand uncle took a DNA test last year and we uploaded the raw DNA to gedmatch.com. This uncle was born in 1919 in Tennessee, and there are 2211 people who have taken DNA tests and uploaded their data to gedmatch that share at least some DNA with him. Granted, some of that is probably just 'noise' and a large portion of the shared DNA is remote enough that we'd never be able to track it to a common ancestor(s), but there are 5-6 second - third cousins in that mix as well that I know of and likely more than that.

I wonder if in some cases DNA could be used to identify living relatives who are cousins, etc of the deceased as opposed to immediate family?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow this really is a great match.... I wonder what took soooooooo long to report this guy missing.. He does look a lot like the doe.. great find

attachment.php

In doing a little research last night, there are as many theories and lore around Everett Ruess as there are DB Cooper!
It's very heartening to see that people care about this young man, even after so many many years after his passing. Something tells me this one is going to get solved, against all odds.
I'm here to comment about Everett Ruess too! This case was the first thing I thought of reading about him. Only thing is slight age and time frame difference. Everett was 20, I believe, when he went missing (doe was estimated 15/16) and he went missing in the 30's (doe is estimated DOD 1910's/early 1920's). I wonder if Everett was a tobacco smoker.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

I'm here to comment about Everett Ruess too! This case was the first thing I thought of reading about him. Only thing is slight age and time frame difference. Everett was 20, I believe, when he went missing (doe was estimated 15/16) and he went missing in the 30's (doe is estimated DOD 1910's/early 1920's). I wonder if Everett was a tobacco smoker.

Ruess went missing while traveling in a desolate part of Utah...our doe was found in Utah. He was also known to travel by horseback...like our doe. Hmmm....

Escalante, UT is Ruess's last known whereabouts in the late 30's. Our doe was found in St. George which is 3 hours apart by car and 2 days by foot.

This came up during a google search. Mods, if not allowed, please delete.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedMysteries/comments/28pkd9/who_was_lil_webb/

The idea that nobody today would be wondering about a family member who dropped out of sight 100 years ago isn't necessarily a sound one. As a family historian I've spent years trying to find out what happened to the children of an ancestor couple who died in 1849 (cholera epidemic) and 1855 (heart disease). Of the children, one was married, a second a male in his mid-teens (so economically independent) and the rest children aged from 6 to 14. Only the married daughter, from whom I am descended, has a full history. The younger kids just disappeared.

He most likely died as a result of the Spanish Influenza pandemic. Google "Utah spanish influenza"

As they've not specified the lung infection he was suffering from, it could also be anthrax (indicating someone who worked with livestock or hides) or TB which was still very common at the time, especially amongst those who lived in crowded conditions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova
Back