VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

sds71

Reaction score
Newport News Police Chief Steve Drew says the shooting was NOT accidental, this was intentional.

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:

This summarizes everything we have been saying. I am just glad to be out of the mess now. Kids with IEP's used to have difficulty with reading. Or a severe disability, like deafness or vision loss.

Now, you may have a kid who raped his sibling, carries weapons to school, and does meth at age 8. Yeah. Working on reading isn't going to help much.

This summarizes everything we have been saying. I am just glad to be out of the mess now. Kids with IEP's used to have difficulty with reading. Or a severe disability, like deafness or vision loss.

Now, you may have a kid who raped his sibling, carries weapons to school, and does meth at age 8. Yeah. Working on reading isn't going to help much.
When did we cross the line, and plain old undisciplined issues became mental health issues.

Teachers require a 4 year degree, maintain a license, maintain SOL scores, become mental health experts, disciplinarian, trained in self defense, administer Narcan and perform CPR, bus and lunch duty and find time to TEACH. All for a grand total of 45-50k per year.

MHO

Last edited:

The article you linked is going to take me time to digest. I first read it and it just made me really angry.

The article you linked is going to take me time to digest. I first read it and it just made me really angry.

Same here! I am struggling with putting down acceptable words and thoughts here. IMO, this is not a anti-disability issue, nor is it a racial issue. This is a safety issue! And, we are failing our children and the people who give their all to teach them.

When did we cross the line, and plain old undisciplined issues became mental health issues.

Teachers require a 4 year degree, maintain a license, maintain SOL scores, become mental health experts, disciplinarian, trained in self defense, administer Narcan and perform CPR, bus and lunch duty and find time to TEACH. All for a grand total of 45-50k per year.

MHO
All of this is true; however, here in NY we also need a Master’s degree to teach. Furthermore, we must pass three rigorous exams to obtain our licenses.

Our salaries are also much higher, which is phenomenal in the more rural parts of NY, but doesn’t go as far here in NYC. We do have spectacular health benefits and great pensions after 25 years, so teaching is a viable career here.

It’s different in the South, IMO, because we have strong teachers’ unions here. In NYC we have the U.F.T. (United Federation of Teachers), plus the entire state is part of NYSUT (New York State United Teachers).

If we had a student who had already exhibited violent tendencies and the admin did not help, a grievance would be filed with the union and action would be taken.

The restorative justice paradigm is here, but the U.F.T. would definitely intervene for the safety of the students and teachers if prior disruptions seemed to suggest violence might ensue.

JMO and JME

All of this is true; however, here in NY we also need a Master’s degree to teach. Furthermore, we must pass three rigorous exams to obtain our licenses.

Our salaries are also much higher, which is phenomenal in the more rural parts of NY, but doesn’t go as far here in NYC. We do have spectacular health benefits and great pensions after 25 years, so teaching is a viable career here.

It’s different in the South, IMO, because we have strong teachers’ unions here. In NYC we have the U.F.T. (United Federation of Teachers), plus the entire state is part of NYSUT (New York State United Teachers).

If we had a student who had already exhibited violent tendencies and the admin did not help, a grievance would be filed with the union and action would be taken.

The restorative justice paradigm is here, but the U.F.T. would definitely intervene for the safety of the students and teachers if prior disruptions seemed to suggest violence might ensue.

JMO and JME
Yes, NY salaries are higher, however the cost of living -47% compared to NY. NN has a teachers union, they have mostly stayed quite. If I'm not mistaken, several early articles, Richneck teachers have spoken out and filed complaints with the union. IMO, very disappointing for this union.

Not all schools in Virginia operate like Richneck. We seem to have the problems in large cities. Many rural area SOL scores exceed NOVA and the larger cities.

SBs in VA are elected. IMO, citizens have less interest in SB elections, the same ones are elected for years. Smaller localities seem to have more interest in SBs, know the members, on a personal level. Most teachers, really know their students. I mean they know momma and daddy, the cousins, the history, problems the background.

Disciple depends on the district leadership and the SB, no statewide regulations, other than "provide a safe enviroment " This leaves some open to safety risk, and some students at risk of not receiving the services they deserve, including individualized learning.

Add to the fact, the state started closing/eliminating special schools in 2018. At the same time. closing many state long term mental/special needs facilities. This was devastating to special needs children and parents. Families were forced to care for them at home and schools overwhelmed to meet the needs.

I do think the AZ shooting is a wake up call to many SBs. The message is changing, especially in the past few weeks in Virginia. More SBs are reviewing policies, quizzing the Safety Director and Superintendent.

AZ is really making a difference in many Virginia Schools. I hope she is able to see these changes and concerns being addressed. She is a true HERO, in so many ways.

All my humble opinion

All the bureaucracy and legal maneuvering involved in making sure children have a school plan... wth happened to the "PLAN" where the gun was reportedly kept??

I would venture to say that the 'at home' plan of keeping the gun secure from a very troubled, dangerous, violent prone and acutely disabled 6 year old was also an epic failure. I think that some people 'in the know' might want to keep that in mind..

All the bureaucracy and legal maneuvering involved in making sure children have a school plan... wth happened to the "PLAN" where the gun was reportedly kept??
This is my .02.
There were failures to implement that resulted in a teacher being shot.
It's a miracle she survived, esp. being hit in the chest area.
There is no real way to sugarcoat this and it's beyond strange that AZ's admin. tried to in the first place.
Disrespectful to the teachers who do not have an easy job !
Try to manage and instruct a roomful of students even if they're reasonably well-behaved.
This six year old had thrown many red flags before the shooting.
Imo.

I would venture to say that the 'at home' plan of keeping the gun secure from a very troubled, dangerous, violent prone and acutely disabled 6 year old was also an epic failure. I think that some people 'in the know' might want to keep that in mind..
Ita.
If a weapon is secured, how does a six year old child manage to bring it, loaded, to their classroom ?
What would this conversation be like if another child was shot or even killed ?

The teacher, AZ, has been marginalized -- imo -- by the wildly different reaction than the other case in the previous thread, of the parent who was arrested after her child brought a gun and bullets to school.
Schools vary in their response, but no allowance or coddling should be afforded to anyone who even through an accident allows their child to be able to access a firearm.
M00.

I know. What really frustrated me about the article is how teachers are held to this impossible standard. How many kids in a classroom have an IEP? And somehow, the teacher is supposed to memorize the specific behavior plan, triggers, and intervention for every single child who is in their classroom. Imagine a high school, teacher who may have 170 kids a day.

That is why, I am not a fan of Least Restrictive Environment. Children who have behavior disorders, do better in a more restricted environment, that is smaller, more controlled, less noise, overwhelm, and more direct attention with higher staff to student ratio. Parents often push back on "special" schools, or "special" programs. I don't know why, if that is going to help their child be successful.

Instead, they expect their child to have a full time, one on one Para, which, is in itself, more restrictive than anything. And doesn't help the child learn skills. It is just a full time babysitting job.

I know. What really frustrated me about the article is how teachers are held to this impossible standard. How many kids in a classroom have an IEP? And somehow, the teacher is supposed to memorize the specific behavior plan, triggers, and intervention for every single child who is in their classroom. Imagine a high school, teacher who may have 170 kids a day.

That is why, I am not a fan of Least Restrictive Environment. Children who have behavior disorders, do better in a more restricted environment, that is smaller, more controlled, less noise, overwhelm, and more direct attention with higher staff to student ratio. Parents often push back on "special" schools, or "special" programs. I don't know why, if that is going to help their child be successful.

Instead, they expect their child to have a full time, one on one Para, which, is in itself, more restrictive than anything. And doesn't help the child learn skills. It is just a full time babysitting job.
Yep. I think I was triggered by the article but do want to revisit it in a few days with a clear/er head.

The article also, ( while bringing up the almost impossible standard of memorizing all IEP's) did a huge disservice to Abby Zwerner-- THE VICTIM in this crime. In a round about way, the article may have slandered her teaching methods and abilities, while ever praising the expectations of the cause...( Restorative Justice ? ). I was very bothered by that. MOO

Parents often push back on "special" schools, or "special" programs. I don't know why, if that is going to help their child be successful.

I know of a family that had a boy with a few diagnoses, but he wasn't violent in the classroom. He did have a learning disability and sometimes emotional meltdowns.

They worked hard at home on teaching him things like following routines and rules. When it came time to start school, they balked at the school for kids with disabilities, because when touring it they saw behaviors they didn't want him seeing-and-copying. And didn't want his learning being impacted.

They fought for a one-on-one with him in a "regular" classroom. They wanted to give him that chance, to see what he was capable of.
Maybe it's hard to understand unless you're in the situation as a parent yourself.

But I do want to be clear, the family of the 6-year-old shooter seems nothing like this other family I know. I am shocked the 6-year-old was allowed to stay at this school without a one-on-one after already showing repeated violence, and he was able to access a weapon and shoot a teacher, and the official response so far feels like, "Oh well, no one is truly responsible for this."

What would this conversation be like if another child was shot or even killed ?

Would the official response (by the school, by law enforcement) be different? I really don't know.

Another elementary school, just across the Chesapeake Bay from NN...didn't find till end of day.

According to police, officers responded to a report of a student having a weapon at school around 3:30 p.m. Thursday.

NPS says a teacher alerted the administration immediately who then enacted safety and security protocol. The gun was then turned over to Norfolk police by school staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams