GUILTY VA - Ashanti Billie, 19, found deceased, Virginia Beach, 18 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
After 911, the military bases upped security measures to the hilt. Ft. Bragg, NC (Army); Camp LeJeune, Jacksonville, NC (Marines); Seymour Johnson AFB, Goldsboro, NC; and Cherry Point, NC (Marines), installed cameras, high fences, posted new guard areas, etc., etc. Several of those bases used to be open to non-military traffic (anybody could drive through), and that stopped immediately. All guards were armed.

I feel confident that the entry and exit station guards would check anyone in the vehicle, and it would be near-impossible for non-military persons, other than family (they have IDs too), to enter or leave. A good friend of ours is a Marine Colonel -- our neighbor at our condo at the coast -- and he talked about what took place immediately after 911 -- it was very interesting to see how quickly things changed at his Marine base, and they haven't slacked-off at all.

I agree, it is odd that she came on base so early -- it's bothersome, isn't it? Was it something she did on certain days -- special clean-up, or inventory, or delivery to the shop, or what? Someone should know, seems to me. SMH.

That sure is a lot of bases in NC. :) I just wanted to say that we go grocery shopping at the Navy Commissary close to where we live in CT. They do not check my ID when I am in the car with my husband. They most always only check his ID (the driver). I'm not sure what they do that early in the morning when it is still dark out, but I would think they would definitely check anyone's ID's in the car that early in the morning. I imagine though she still had a dependent ID card and not the same as the govt. worker on base. So that might have made a difference in whether they would have checked all people in the car. Next time I talk to my son I will ask what the Air Force does. He also carries an AR (M4) and a pistol at the gate.

IF the braids found near the car are Ashanti's it's possible that, rather than remove them to change her appearance, they were removed so someone could look like her. They're quite distinctive with the colours. I recall reading that security exiting the base is more hit-and-miss than the stringent checks going in. Just a thought.

I've never ever had my car checked leaving any base. I've been on Navy bases, Air Force bases, Marine bases, and Coast Guard bases. I'm not so sure that the braids found were hers. Didn't they find them near where her phone was found? I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I have actually seen braids on the ground in a neighborhood that I used to live. Heck anyone that's ever had extensions could probably vouch for this happening. I can speak from experience when your fake hair slips out. LOL :secret::secret: I think that if they are weaved in that one could come loose very easily if it was pulled hard enough or during a struggle.

I've heard them called "tumbleweaves." [emoji3]
Interesting!

I looked up the definition of "tumbleweaves" in the Urban Dictionary:

When two girls get into a fight and rip out each others' weave, leaving the clumps behind such that they blow around in the wind. Reminiscent of tumbleweed, hence the name. Oftentimes a trail of tumbleweave leads to the scene of the epic battle.

<snip> http://When two girls get into a fi...eweave leads to the scene of the epic battle.

IF the braids found near where Ashanti's cell phone was found really were Ashanti's (and that's a big IF), I'd be more inclined to think a female might be involved in this. :idea:

I wonder when we will find out which articles found have been identified as Ashanti's and which are ruled out.

I've never ever had my car checked leaving any base. I've been on Navy bases, Air Force bases, Marine bases, and Coast Guard bases. I'm not so sure that the braids found were hers. Didn't they find them near where her phone was found? I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I have actually seen braids on the ground in a neighborhood that I used to live. Heck anyone that's ever had extensions could probably vouch for this happening. I can speak from experience when your fake hair slips out. LOL :secret::secret: I think that if they are weaved in that one could come loose very easily if it was pulled hard enough or during a struggle.

LOL. I know someone that found one in their bag of groceries!!

On another note, and I apologize if this has already been hashed out (I've only skimmed the thread so far), but how do we feel about her arriving to work at the wrong time, interrupting something she shouldn't have? Granted, on a military base? And why all the musical cars? Why not just leave her car parked there if whoever had a ride of their own? This one is a head scratcher!
I am seeing possibly two thoughts that give me concern. The first is what has been mentioned, maybe she interrupted a burglary but my gut tells me no. I also live in the area and all too familiar with our morning traffic backups, but I still don't see her leaving home quite that early to be on time for work. My second speculation is I think co-workers need to be scrutinized closely. Co-workers that knew she would be arriving very early and would be working alone for approx 3 hrs.
In trying to place myself as a criminal wanting to do criminal activities at 5 am I would be selecting say a convenience store not heavily manned. I definitely wouldn't be selecting a military installation with camera's. Which leaves leaves me thinking she could have been lured in some way to depart the base solo. I feel quite sure LE has looked at security film to see who and when others arrived and departed base that morning. Again, my gut tells me someone that knew she would be alone and on base early by herself needs to be considered. But along the same lines, if I were a bad man wanting to lure her in I would have lured her to a meet location off base rather than on base. Very perplexing case.

That is the million dollar question. I think she was lured there...the promise of a job interview? (Her mom said she was excited about the promotion she just got) Could someone have told her that her Bf was able to get away to see her and that's the only time he could be on base? (She grew up in an army family and probably is trusting of that institution). In any event, it had to be something big to get her out of bed at 4 in the morning

:welcome5: Nanceedroo!! We're glad to have you with us!!

:detective::websleuther:

cvaldez1975 reply.......

It may have had lock screen security, also. The fact that the cell phone wasn't hidden better or destroyed, makes me think there was never any cell phone contact between offender(s) and victim.
!!

:welcome: to Websleuths, zannian!! We're glad to have you here!!

:cheer::cheer:

I just wanted to mention that Ashanti's dreadlocks look to be her own. Meaning, I don't believe they were faux locs, or locs that were "weaved" into her head. I frequently get braid extensions and I'm familiar with what they look like and Ashanti's locs do not appear to be extensions, at least from the pictures I have seen. I would link to a pic of faux locs, but I'm not sure what the forum rules are. I keep seeing them referred to as "braids" in this thread and in news articles, so I'm not sure if they were really braids or if you all are using the wrong terminology. I've seen pics of her with both-- the "locs" are the shorter twists with different colors on the ends. She is wearing braids in older pictures.

I think this is an important distinction, because (1) if we are talking about dreadlocks, (2) if the locs are her own hair, and (3) if the locs found in the neighborhood really do belong to her, that would indicate a severe struggle or someone intentionally cutting the locs out of Ashanti's head. Faux locs and braid extensions might slip out easily, but dreadlocks grown from the root would have to be ripped out or cut cleanly out.

I just did a podcast on this case, so I have been interviewing people and I have a few sources on base.

1. I tried to interview one of the room mates, but she refused out of respect to the family.
2. Base traffic is absolutely horrible around here. I don't know how long you have been gone, but I have to leave at least at 4 am to get there on time. Traffic was particularly horrible that day.
3. That's the question everyone has.
4. I am waiting for the courts to release the relevant information in regards to that. They aren't releasing it yet.
5. I haven't been able to interview the coworker for clarification on this yet.
6. My biggest question as well. I do think a civilian contractor is possibly involved, or active duty military. There are many bases in Charlotte, so someone stationed there before or even someone from there that has transferred here is what I am thinking.

There are a good number of military bases in NC, but most are located at or very near the coast, and the others are in the eastern half of NC. I only know of one military base in Charlotte, NC, and it is the US Air Nat'l Guard. It would be helpful to know of any others in Charlotte.

I wish the roommate would have felt free to talk -- that could have been helpful info. How can we find your podcast? And thanks for getting that info -- that sounds good!

And,
:welcome6: to Websleuths, carollav!! We're glad you're with us!!

:skip::skip:

Good info about the possibility of hair weaves -- although that makes this sound bad for her -- a struggle, perhaps, and then what? Ugh.

I just wanted to mention that Ashanti's dreadlocks look to be her own. Meaning, I don't believe they were faux locs, or locs that were "weaved" into her head. I frequently get braid extensions and I'm familiar with what they look like and Ashanti's locs do not appear to be extensions, at least from the pictures I have seen. I would link to a pic of faux locs, but I'm not sure what the forum rules are. I keep seeing them referred to as "braids" in this thread and in news articles, so I'm not sure if they were really braids or if you all are using the wrong terminology. I've seen pics of her with both-- the "locs" are the shorter twists with different colors on the ends. She is wearing braids in older pictures.

I think this is an important distinction, because (1) if we are talking about dreadlocks, (2) if the locs are her own hair, and (3) if the locs found in the neighborhood really do belong to her, that would indicate a severe struggle or someone intentionally cutting the locs out of Ashanti's head. Faux locs and braid extensions might slip out easily, but dreadlocks grown from the root would have to be ripped out or cut cleanly out.

Good info! And yes, you can post pics of weaves, braids, or locks.

And,
:wagon: to Websleuths, Journey4Justice!! It's great to have you here!!

:happydance::happydance:

Thanks for the hair info. I'd thought the locs in her recent pics (thanks for the correct terminology too!) were her own hair.

My gut says that if the hair found is hers, there's more chance of a woman being involved. In which case I'd be looking at the BF's romantic history given she was found what seems to be en route to his base.

I would like to know if it was a lot of braids or just a couple that could have come out during a struggle. I also wonder if the roommates have been asked if that is her regular time for leaving. Why were they up so early?

Disturbing stuff

Zach brings up a very good point. Why toss her cell phone in a dumpster on Tallyho Terrace (which normally isn't there, by the way) ? Plenty of water on both sides of Azalea Garden road to dump a phone into. And whoever dumped the phone just left it charged and on ? And why are there 2 different accounts of how the phone was found ? Did the construction worker find it before the co-worker called, or did he find it because the co-worker called ? Not adding up at all.

I would like to know if it was a lot of braids or just a couple that could have come out during a struggle. I also wonder if the roommates have been asked if that is her regular time for leaving. Why were they up so early?

Maybe they were out partying and never went to sleep? I pulled an all nighter or 2 in college

I think this was carried out with too much PRECISION to be a random abduction. I hope they catch who did this and that the trail doesn't go cold.

Ashanti was new to the area, having just moved there to go to school. Also, she is a very young adult, still a teen. . She might have naively gotten involved with some bad people.

LE has a lot of info yet unreleased. They had to have questioned the roommates, checked the cell phone and computer for any clues on people and activities going on in Ashanti's life, any base cameras and in areas surrounding Ashanti's trail should be scrutinized, questions for anyone on base if they had seen anything pertinent, forensic evidence left in deserter car and on Ashant herself. No cause of death, time of death has been given. So there is a lot we do not know.

If roommates are cleared of any involvement in this, it seems to me that Ashant was involved in something that got her on base early to pick up or leave off or do something. Something happened that she was separated from cell phone then moved from her car to another vehicle. Did she learn too much about illicit activities? Did someone decide she should come along for "ride? Did she cheat someone out of money or drugs?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke
Back