VA VA - Christopher Douthat, 24, Rocky Mount, 25 Oct 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is so sad. I am curious as to why no one had reported him missing. Seems weird that his employer wouldn't do so or at least ask for police to do a welfare check if he didn't show up for work for so long.

Poor young man has experienced a lot of loss in the past few months. I do hope he is ok.

This is so sad. I am curious as to why no one had reported him missing. Seems weird that his employer wouldn't do so or at least ask for police to do a welfare check if he didn't show up for work for so long.

Poor young man has experienced a lot of loss in the past few months. I do hope he is ok.

Maybe Vinton Roofing just thought he had up and quit and wasn't coming back. If it doesn't snow today, I'll drive over there to Vinton Roofing and snoop around. That way I can see where the business is located and what is surrounding it. I've been in that area tons of times but for the life of me I can't place where their building is.

I'm wondering what time his mom dropped him off? I'm assuming those roofing crews start at 7:00am because I have 2 friends that work for a different roofing company and they pass me sometimes on the highway in the mornings when I'm on my way to work at 6:30. If she dropped him off around 6:30 was it still light outside? I can't remember what time it started getting light here back in October.

Maybe Vinton Roofing just thought he had up and quit and wasn't coming back. If it doesn't snow today, I'll drive over there to Vinton Roofing and snoop around. That way I can see where the business is located and what is surrounding it. I've been in that area tons of times but for the life of me I can't place where their building is.

I'm wondering what time his mom dropped him off? I'm assuming those roofing crews start at 7:00am because I have 2 friends that work for a different roofing company and they pass me sometimes on the highway in the mornings when I'm on my way to work at 6:30. If she dropped him off around 6:30 was it still light outside? I can't remember what time it started getting light here back in October.

bbm - Except the boss said he couldn't imagine him not picking up his paycheck. I don't know, that just strikes me as off. I don't know what it means, if anything, but it's just odd.

In the one photo I could see where he was with the twins, one of them looked quite sick compared to the other. It's so common to have sick twins, especially if they were preemies.

From this link: http://www.roanoke.com/news/2239753-12/boones-mill-man-found-guilty-of-assault-after.html

Derrick David Smarz , 25, of Boones Mill, was found guilty by a judge of breaking and entering and assault.

John Michael Smarz, 27, faced the same charges in the case, but a prosecutor said he did not appear for his court date.

snip

John Michael Smarz was listed as a fugitive

Could Christopher's disappearance have to do with the b+e and assault from earlier this year? One of the intruders is still at large. Christopher identified his brother Derrick who was convicted. Did the other brother take revenge?

ETA: This brother has other charges as well: http://florida.exposedmugshots.com/arrest/John-Michael-Smarz-62956

Question: if he's a fugitive why do they let him go with bond?

In the one photo I could see where he was with the twins, one of them looked quite sick compared to the other. It's so common to have sick twins, especially if they were preemies.

I see that, too. However, I believe that's the little girl who is the surviving twin. She's a skinny, slip of a thing. An alleged reason for the infant boy's death is given in the comments section on the wbdj7.com article.

From this link: http://www.roanoke.com/news/2239753-12/boones-mill-man-found-guilty-of-assault-after.html

Could Christopher's disappearance have to do with the b+e and assault from earlier this year? One of the intruders is still at large. Christopher identified his brother Derrick who was convicted. Did the other brother take revenge?

ETA: This brother has other charges as well: http://florida.exposedmugshots.com/arrest/John-Michael-Smarz-62956

Question: if he's a fugitive why do they let him go with bond?

Very possibly related
Feb. 3, 2013 The incident occurred early Feb. 3 at a home on Kingston Road in Burnt Chimney, according to a police report. The report said Christopher Douthat and Shayna Seebeck , who was pregnant with twins at the time, were awakened by two male burglars who assaulted them both and fled.

On Sept 19, 2013 John Michael Smarz was issued a warrant because he failed to appear for court that day concerning the assault and b/e charges.

His brother, Derrick Smarz was to be sentenced Nov. 13. He pled guilty of assault, and b/e charges. Breaking and entering carries penalties of up to 20 years in prison.

On Oct 12, 2013 John Michael Smarz was located and arrested in Florida. Looks like bond was set at $500 for each of the charges in Florida, but no bond for fugitive warrant. Not sure if he is back in VA yet.

It was reported, that on 10/12/2013, around 11:40 pm, John Michael Smarz was placed under arrest for charges relating to #1 POSSESSION OF DRUG PARAPHERNALIA; #2 FALSE NAME TO LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER; #3 FUGITIVE; . John Michael Smarz is 5'11" tall, weighs about 160, is N/A years old. Report says, the local arrest took place at the quiet PINECREST ST/REYNOLDS ST W, Hillsborough, FL by the county agency PCPD at the location of PINECREST ST/REYNOLDS ST W, Hillsborough, FL, in the city of Boones Mill, Virginia 24065, state of Florida. Bond was placed at 0$. The notes from the report stated NIC/W638014650 OCA/031922 H/VA:VOP USE OF CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE. This was under the statute DRUG8102 (1 M)COPS2060 (1 M)ADMIN014 (C R).

http://florida.exposedmugshots.com/arrest/John-Michael-Smarz-62956

http://www.roanoke.com/news/2239753-12/boones-mill-man-found-guilty-of-assault-after.html

I haven't looked up court records to see how much time they got, and if they are still in jail.

What a sad case.

Something is certainly strange with this.

Not to be judgey, BUT, I imagine if I lost one of my babies, the last thing I would be thinking about would be finding a new man. I just can't put myself in that head space where I would so quickly gloating about my happiness. I can't imagine there being any happiness for a very long time :(

I imagine you all already saw it, but when I was scrolling through the ex- wife's Facebook I noticed some posts on pictures that suggest they didn't have custody of the older boy at some stage. Questions about is he back for good, hesnwherenhe belongs now etc. also, they seem to know a LOT of people who are in jail or have been recently.

It doesn't appear to be a Healthy stable group of people. I think the ex needs a good looking at.

Let's remember his spouse has not been named a suspect or POI. She is not sleuthable. Also, as you look into her life and actions, please remember the EXACT horrible events that happened to him have happened to her.

http://www.wset.com/story/24149213/franklin-co-man-missing-for-six-weeks

Christopher Douthat was last seen October 25 after a friend dropped him off at a downtown Roanoke bar.
Originally, Douthat was thought to have last been seen in Vinton, but in the timeline laid out to me by investigators today, they've been able to determine his last known location to that of a Food Lion store in southeast Roanoke.
Family and friends say Douthat is a good man, with a good heart, who had personal struggles that at times could cause him trouble.
Since the birth of his daughter in March, however the same people insist Douthat was turning it all around, for the better, for her.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callie679
Back