Found Deceased VA - Cynthia Carver, 35, Southampton County, 21 Feb 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'd like to know about motive and the FBI's involvement as well. Could it have anything to do with her work as a CO? KimberlySuffolk what was your impression of the suspect? I think you said you'd seen him at Cynthia's house before. Do you have any opinion on motive?

I'd like to know about motive and the FBI's involvement as well. Could it have anything to do with her work as a CO? KimberlySuffolk what was your impression of the suspect? I think you said you'd seen him at Cynthia's house before. Do you have any opinion on motive?
It is likely due to their suspicion he kidnapped her first and also because he appears to have met/lured her over the internet.

My neighbour meets guys on these sites.
I keep telling her, about these stories BUT she states, she chats with them, and feels comfortable to meet them, even at HER home.
A creep isn't going to state "If you don't do what I say, you will be in trouble. I have a temper. I am controlling".
Similarly here, it appears, they chatted initially.
I use online dating as my primary way of dating since i was 19 (I’m 30 now) and have had many beautiful relationships. I’ve had one pretty scary instance happen but I felt red flags with this guy while talking on the phone and ignored them. I’m the same as your friend...I have felt like if I feel any red flag I won’t meet up with them and since I’m obviously still here breathing I haven’t had anything happen like Cynthia, but reading this thread is EYE opening. She was a CO and likely trained in self defense and she still ended up murdered. I feel so stupid and I now know I was just lucky that I have not ended up dead.

Tuesday, December 3rd:
*Preliminary Hearing (@ 1pm ET) - VA – Cynthia Carver (34) (Feb. 21, 2019, Newsoms; reported missing Feb. 22, 2019, found 3/19/19, southwestern Suffolk) – *James Herbert Goodwyn, Jr. (39) arrested & charged (6/27/19) with 1st degree murder. Held without bond. No plea entered yet, arraignment was continued with no date.
The Medical Examiner's Office in Norfolk have identified a woman's body that was found in the southern part of Suffolk Tuesday (3/19/19) morning as missing Southampton County mother of 2, Cynthia Carver, the Southampton County Sheriff's Office announced Wednesday. Found his DNA under her fingernails and his Nike shoe print on the floor of her house.
7/2/19 Arraignment hearing is continued but no date as of 10/27/19. Next Preliminary hearing on 10/29.
10/29/19 Update: Preliminary hearing continued to 12/3.

Oops - a day early....

Last edited:
Tuesday, February 18th:
*Preliminary Hearing (@ 1pm ET) - VA – Cynthia Carver (34) (Feb. 21, 2019, Newsoms; reported missing Feb. 22, 2019, found 3/19/19, southwestern Suffolk) – *James Herbert Goodwyn, Jr. (39) arrested & charged (6/27/19) with 1st degree murder. Held without bond. No plea entered yet, arraignment was continued with no date.
The Medical Examiner's Office in Norfolk have identified a woman's body that was found in the southern part of Suffolk Tuesday (3/19/19) morning as missing Southampton County mother of 2, Cynthia Carver, the Southampton County Sheriff's Office announced Wednesday. Found his DNA under her fingernails and his Nike shoe print on the floor of her house.
7/2/19 Arraignment hearing is continued but no date as of 10/27/19. Next Preliminary hearing on 10/29. 10/29/19: Preliminary hearing continued to 12/3. 12/3/19: Preliminary hearing continued to 2/18/20.

Judge rules probable cause for murder case of missing Southampton Co. mom to move forward

Feb 18, 2020

SOUTHAMPTON, Co., Va. - The man accused of abducting and stabbing a young mother to death faced a judge Tuesday afternoon.

James Goodwyn Jr., is charged in the death of Cynthia Carver. Goodwyn is behind bars facing first degree murder charges and in court Tuesday a judge ruled that there is probable cause to move the case forward.
[.....]
Goodwyn’s charge of murder came after 34-year-old Cynthia's body was found in Suffolk nearly one month after she was reported missing. Back in May 2019 – it was ruled the young mother died from being stabbed to death.

In court documents obtained by News 3 - they say that during the investigation that Goodwyn's Nike shoes were collected and compared to the shoe imprint found on the floor at the crime scene. Cynthia's toothbrush was also collected and compared to Goodwyn's DNA.

Court papers said a match of Goodwyn's DNA was found underneath Cynthia's right fingernail. News 3 also learned the test results from the Norfolk Department of Forensic Science contradict statements made by Goodwyn to police on several different occasions.
[.....]
Goodwyn’s preliminary hearing is expected to get started around 1 p.m. Tuesday afternoon at the Southampton Courthouse.

Detectives testify during court hearing for Cynthia Carver murder suspect

February 18, 2020

SOUTHAMPTON COUNTY, Va. (WAVY) — It’s been almost a year since 34-year-old Cynthia Carver went missing.

The man accused of killing Carver appeared in court on Tuesday for a preliminary hearing.
[.....]
Four witnesses took the stand during the preliminary hearing: three law enforcement officers and Carver’s mother.
[.....]
A criminal complaint in the investigation showed there was a match between Goodwyn’s DNA and the underside of Carver’s right fingernail, and his shoes were similar in design to the footwear impression made on the floor of Carver’s home.
[.....]
Goodwyn is expected back in court March 26.

Detectives testify during court hearing for Cynthia Carver murder suspect

February 18, 2020

SOUTHAMPTON COUNTY, Va. (WAVY) — It’s been almost a year since 34-year-old Cynthia Carver went missing.

The man accused of killing Carver appeared in court on Tuesday for a preliminary hearing.
[.....]
Four witnesses took the stand during the preliminary hearing: three law enforcement officers and Carver’s mother.
[.....]
A criminal complaint in the investigation showed there was a match between Goodwyn’s DNA and the underside of Carver’s right fingernail, and his shoes were similar in design to the footwear impression made on the floor of Carver’s home.
[.....]
Goodwyn is expected back in court March 26.

Considering the victim's work as a correction officer, that this was a murder by essentially a stranger and that from the delay we might assume that the suspect had made some effort to cover his trail, I would hazard a guess in this case that the FBI's involvement is on suspicion that this was a hit put out by members of a prison gang.

Autopsy report, other documents released in Cynthia Carver case

February 28, 2020
NEWSOMS, Va. — More than 700 newly released court documents became unsealed in the Cynthia Carver case, including her autopsy report.
[.....]
The autopsy report says detectives found her with only her bra and underwear on. She was face down in about three to six inches of water. Carver was easily identified because she had a tattoo of a butterfly on her right upper arm.

Documents reveal Carver was stabbed multiple times all over her body including her, neck hands and chest.

The report lists her cause of death as multiple sharp force injuries
Investigators searched for Carver's killer; they tested tennis shoes, stains in a vehicle, and a toothbrush.

According to documents, James Goodwyn's DNA was found under Carver's right fingernail. He's currently in jail charged with kidnapping and murder. Goodwyn's case will go before a grand jury on March 16.

hmm.... 2 different articles are giving me 2 different court dates....

one is 3/16 (above) & the other is 3/26 in post #155.

And the court site is just giving me his last court date of 2/18/20.

I guess I'll put it on BOTH dates! :D And just keep looking at the court site for an update.

Monday, March 16th:
*Grand Jury Hearing (@ 9:30am ET) - VA – Cynthia Carver (34) (Feb. 21, 2019, Newsoms; reported missing Feb. 22, 2019, found Mar. 19, 2019, off Wyanoke Trail in southwestern Suffolk) – *James Herbert Goodwyn, Jr. (39) arrested & charged (6/27/19) with 1st degree murder. Held without bond. No plea entered yet, arraignment was continued with no date.
7/2/19 Arraignment hearing is continued but no date as of 10/27/19. Next Preliminary hearing on 10/29. 10/29/19: Preliminary hearing continued to 12/3. 12/3/19: Preliminary hearing continued to 2/18/20.
2/18/20 Update: Four witnesses took the stand during the preliminary hearing: three law enforcement officers and Carver’s mother. Judge ruled that there is probable cause to move the case forward. Next Grand Jury hearing on 3/16.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joybird99
Back