Found Deceased VA - Emma Compton Layne, 52, Cody, 17 June 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Reward offered in search of missing 52-year-old Cody woman

Authorities with the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office are continuing to investigate the disappearance of a 52-year-old Cody woman who has been missing for more than a week.

And Crimeline is offering a $1,000 reward for any information on what may have happened to Emma Compton Layne who was last seen around 7 p.m. Saturday, June 17, at Cody Store, Sheriff Fred S. Clark said Sunday.
Clark said three investigators are working on the missing woman case “around the clock constantly searching for answers.”
In addition to the sheriff’s office, a Virginia State Police search team, Virginia Department of Emergency Management search personnel and a local search and rescue team and EMS searched the perimeter of Layne’s Cody residence last week. However, the search has yielded no leads, said Clark.

Last Thursday, the search for Layne continued as members of the Virginia State Police Dive Team searched a pond near Layne’s residence but found no evidence of the whereabouts of the Cody woman,
http://www.yourgv.com/news/local_ne...cle_31787f4a-59e0-11e7-a45e-7f5dc8ffffb9.html

Abduction of a 52 year-old woman? Seems to me most of these cases are usually a health condition that took the MP's life (they walked outside someplace to get some air, and died), and ex-husband who hurt them, suicide, and sometimes a grown child who wanted money.

Looking at that on Google maps/streetview it's a pretty isolated spot. From reading cases on WS over the past couple of years, the disappearance of lone females from isolated stores or petrol stations does seem to be A Thing. Sadly this does look most likely to be an abduction to me.

They want Layne to know if she's scared, that she can trust them.

"Everything will be okay in the end. Pray on everything that's happened in your life, put God first in your life and everything's gonna be alright. I know that. I know that's true. So just bring her home," says Poindexter.

I am wondering about all this. What would she be scared of? What has she been going through? Another person causing these issues for her?

I would be searching close to home. $1000 seems like a reward you would offer for something small not a missing person.

I am wondering about all this. What would she be scared of? What has she been going through? Another person causing these issues for her?

This plea is to the person who "took" her. It ends with "So just bring her home."

Very surprised there's not a resolution to this case yet--praying.

I have known this family of Emma Layne's for many years and her husband has always loved her and would give her the moon if she ask for it if he could. I know it must be killing him inside .

Jclay--can you give us any insight on what's going on with the search for Emma? Does the family have any clue what might've happened? I have searched online for updates, but can't find anything. I think of Emma's story every day. Wondering where she is. Praying for her and her husband.

[h=1]It’s been a nightmare,’ says sister of missing Cody woman[/h]
59710e10e5b15.image.jpg

Monday marked a month since Emma Compton Layne, 52, of Cody was last seen.

A prayer vigil has been planned at 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 3 at Republican Grove United Methodist Church.

An employee was the last to see the owner of Cody Store on Saturday, June 17 as they left the store for the night, according to her sister, Wynona Childress.

“No one realized she was missing until Monday when an employee couldn’t get in touch with her,” Childress said. “The store is closed on Sunday, and her husband, who’s a truck driver, was gone. I received a call on Monday saying that Emma had never showed up to the hospital to visit our mom on Sunday and they asked me to go by her house to check on her.

“I went in and I couldn’t find her. I know she had been under a lot of stress lately, and I thought, maybe she’s taking a break.”

A search and rescue team including cadaver dogs searched for her missing sister, and she said even though the dogs did “get a hit,” it didn’t lead them very far.

Something at the home alarmed her sister more than anything.

“Anything that a person takes with them who plans to be gone for long term is still at the house,” said Childress who found her sister’s car, purse, medication and cellphone.

It’s not in her sister’s nature to up and leave, she said, as she described Layne as someone who’s always worked and been responsible.
http://www.yourgv.com/news/local_ne...cle_d96de88e-6d86-11e7-a1cd-d3a4270a79ed.html

Hoping for Emma...

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I'm feeling that it's an abduction by a trucker passing through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[h=1]Crowd overflows church to remember missing Nathalie woman[/h]
There was almost not an empty seat in the church when friends, families and supporters of Emma Compton Layne and her family met at Republican Grove United Methodist Church for a candlelight vigil Thursday evening.

“It was friends, family and those in the community who decided we will not let her name go in the dark,” said Pastor Kyle Uselton. “We’ve gathered here today to send love out of this space to the world. For our friend, daughter, wife, mother, cousin and neighbor, we’re here to say we miss you, where are you? and most importantly, to say, I love you.”

Layne, 52, has been missing now for more than a month and was last seen at Cody Store in Nathalie around 7 p.m. on June 17.
http://www.yourgv.com/news/local_ne...cle_f50a2708-7adb-11e7-8197-a7bca003e20d.html

Jeaneen Abbott is a close friend of Emma Layne.

With Layne now missing for almost two months, Abbott and Layne's sister decided a community event needed to be held.

"We said, 'Well, why can't we have a prayer vigil within the community?' So I got with my pastor and we decided to have it at our church," Abbott explained.

The hope is in the community pulling together and keeping it out in the front," Abbott said. "That's our purpose; to keep her name going, keep her spirit going, keep her family encouraged."

Others, like*John Burton, who know Layne well, say her spirit is what they remember and miss most about her.

"It's just unbelievable because she was just a real good person. She would do anything she could for anybody and it's not like her to just up and disappear," said Burton.

Burton says he is glad that a vigil is being held.

"Yes, Sir. I think it's a real good thing."

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/southside/vigil-being-held-for-missing-halifax-county-woman

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Bumping for Emma...

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Halifax County missing for 90 days, family wants closure

The Halifax county woman went missing in June.

Wednesday, September 20 marks 90 days since Layne's family filed the missing persons report.

Since then, officials have searched ponds near her home and continue asking for tips on her disappearance.

Her sister is still holding out hope that Emma will come home.

Most of her belongings were at her home, including her car and cell phone.

But the sheriff's office still has not found a trace of her.

She was last seen at a store she owns, the Cody Store on a Saturday when she closed up for the night.

"Her business is still open. They're running the store and a lot of people say that they have a hard time going in the store because she's not there. They miss her smile," says Childress.

Layne's sister, and many members of the community gathered in August for a candlelight vigil, praying for her to come home.

Since then, the sheriff's office has followed up on every single tip that they get.

"This case is at the top of our list and we'll keep digging until it's solved," says Major Tommy Spencer with the Halifax County Sheriff's Office.

Layne's sister wants her picture to stay in people's minds, because she says her sister was always smiling.

She says anyone that knows Layne would tell you that.

"This woman is loved and to see her smile is something that would make your day, and she's made a lot of people's day. If we could just see that smile again," says Childress.

Layne's sister says they don't expect good news to come of this, but they just want closure.

The sheriff's office says they hope that with hunting season starting soon, someone may find something.

Until then you're asked to call the Halifax County Sheriff's Office with any information.

More at link and original story follows this 90 day update on Emma-

http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/H...arch-continues-two-weeks-later-431832353.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back