VA VA - Jennifer Pandos, 15, Williamsburg, 10 Feb 1987

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I want to believe the parents are innocent, but I can't get over their lies for decades... Making up stories about why she wasn't at Stephen's wedding and stuff like that? I think it's silly but I can understand why they waited to call the police since the note said she would return or get in touch...but after contacting the police they don't inform her family? “Hey, if Jennifer calls or stops by, she calls the police; she was kidnapped or ran away and we want to make sure she is okay”...
No vigils, no search parties, no… nothing?

Surely over the years there would have been more clues but these cases are resolved with a timely response from the police...
either way
rest in peace

I haven't watched the documentary however one thing immediately jumped out. If all the original facts are true, her leaving voluntarily to clear her head and providing instructions for her parents, why would she purposely write the note with the wrong hand? The whole point would be to convince the parents that she is ok etc. Seeing the note written in strange handwriting could instantly raise the alarm. It just doesn't make sense.
However, it does explain some things. If it was written by JP why does the handwriting not match hers and why the wait to contact the police. Stating that she wrote the note with the opposite hand is just to convenient and makes no logical sense if all other facts are true.

Going West Podcast just released an episode about Jennifer's disappearance.

In February of 1987, a 15-year-old girl went missing from her Virginia home, leaving nothing behind but a ransom note from her alleged captor. But when a spotlight is shone on her inner circle, suspicions begin to fall on her parents and their potential involvement. But are they responsible? Or was it one of the other strange characters in the case? This is the story of Jennifer Pandos.

Apple Podcasts Web Embed

IDK but if you've seen Abducted In Plain Sight, the parents allowed their daughter to go on overnight trips with the male, predator neighbor by themselves. they didn't call police either when he didn't immediately return her. They were clearly severely naive and i don't think it is far fetched to believe Steven's parents were naive in believing she'd be back eventually. Didn't a friend say that running away sounds like something she'd do?
It seemed like the mom was emotionally exhausted at being accused by her son. I saw her lashing out as being frustrated at the accusations. As if they wanted her to give them the complete story when she had none.

As far as the letter, didn't the handwriting analysis show it was likely Tony who wrote it?
Yeah, I think Tony was the only one who couldn’t be excluded based on the handwriting and the DNA.

I am a former resident but did not live in nearby Kingsmill. But visited it often. Yes that is an affluent gated community and would have been at the time of JP being reported missing. Unlike now, at that time IIRC there would likely have been considerable undeveloped lots. Those lots would have been later used for houses or other construction. It is a rather large wooded and gated community bordering Busch Gardens Williamsburg. That is also a large expanse of land with hills and many man-made lakes. Both locations also have areas with access to the James River.

IIUC the ‘confession’ by the individual to having supposedly dissolved her in a trash barrel of acid sounds a little unusual? That would have been a way to ‘own’ the offense yet be no possible remaining evidence? How old was that individual at that time? Where might he have obtained it? Where did he work? Without being graphic, that might not have been a job for a single individual.

One would hope that cold case investigators could develop some working leads in this long unsolved case. Hopefully this is not yet another case of a supposed missing person case not being properly investigated from the outset. And IMO there seem to be perhaps some parallels to the unsolved Jon Benet Ramsey case in Boulder, Colorado - i.e. the odd note left. IIRC Kingsmill Resort also has their own police force unit and I believe did so at that time, so there might be merit in checking in their files from that time as well. The apparent temporarily missing case file in years back also sounds a little odd and worth checking into perhaps? James City County Police and Virginia State Police might be other sources.

I’ve not yet seen the HBO special on this case. So input is based on summaries of the series. See also reference below. MOO

MovieMaker online June 7, 2023 (updated) article by Margeaux Sippell entitled ‘Who Is Tony Tobler, Ex-Boyfriend of Jennifer Pandos From Burden of Proof?’:

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Looneybinmadness
Back