VA VA - Michael, 50, Mary, 36, & Jennifer Short, 9, Bassett, 15 Aug 2002

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am familiar with the Garrison suspect. I believe the FBI stated they were no longer interested in him as the potential killer. Unsure if it was before or after his death. You could always leave an anonymous tip. Most LE Agencies will take those-. The FBI will take everything in confidence. They would not disclose your name. Is there any particular reason this person would be suspicious of you? I assume the suspect is not incarcerated? Was he investigated in the other two murders you mentioned?
No, I do not believe he was ever suspected in the other two. I don't foresee a reason he would be suspicious of me...I just don't want it to get to that point if he got wind of my suspicions. I will look into putting in an anonymous tip.

I don't think GB had anything whatsoever to do with these killings and the strange character <modsnip - allegation in reference post was removed for no link from an approved source> So I'm sort of on the same page and have been for awhile but minus Bowmans involvement and police corruption.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think GB had anything whatsoever to do with these killings and the strange character <modsnip - allegation in reference post was removed for no link from an approved source> So I'm sort of on the same page and have been for awhile but minus Bowmans involvement and police corruption.

I do not think he murdered anyone. But do I think he had part in something - yes. <modsnip - reference was removed in quoted post>

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think he murdered anyone. But do I think he had part in something - yes. It's not slanderous when you've spoke to people that actually knew him. I'd like to hear your theory!
I haven't settled on a theory because I don't have all the information. It would depend on the motive which I'm also unsure of. If you've talked to people who knew him and they have information that points to criminal behavior or even he said she said character issues, I sure hope they passed this on to LE and not waited 20 years just to relay it to you. There was nothing negative said of him in the media from folks who knew him and did speak up.

I haven't settled on a theory because I don't have all the information. It would depend on the motive which I'm also unsure of. If you've talked to people who knew him and they have information that points to criminal behavior or even he said she said character issues, I sure hope they passed this on to LE and not waited 20 years just to relay it to you. There was nothing negative said of him in the media from folks who knew him and did speak up.
People are scared of who is (my theory) the suspected killer. So I highly doubt anyone has relayed information to the LE.

I drove past the former home of the Short family yesterday on my way up and down 220. It caused me to pause and think about this case further.

Whatever happened, happened quickly. The single gunshots to the head make me feel like the killer didn’t want to waste any time. I believe he entered through the garage, shot Michael, went inside and shot Mary, then took Jennifer.

The manner of death is important to me as well. The gun shot wounds aren’t extremely personal. Because Mary was killed in the same stealth manner as Michael, I don’t believe the suspect had any difference in relationship status to Mary than he did with Michael. He viewed them both the same.

Jennifer was the target.

The cutting of the phone lines was to keep Jennifer from dialing 911.

His intention was to take her away from the residence and do it quickly. Nothing missing, cash not moved, Jennifer gone.

Jmo.

Jennifer was the target.
This seems to be the most likely scenario or else she would have been found in the home. Her remains being found so close to where the only publicized POI's trailor was moved to has got me scratching my head though if he had nothing to do with it. Which I don't think he did. There's either something there that needs to be fleshed out or it's one hell of a coincidence.

Here are aerial photos from 2002.

The overall area. Short house marked with red arrow. Convenience mart and cabins marked with blue arrow.

View attachment 312357

The Short house. Note it looks easy to walk between the trees to go behind the neighboring business. I'd tend to wonder if Jennifer would have taken this route to stay away from the busy road during the day:

View attachment 312358

The business next door to the Shorts. An ideal parking spot:

View attachment 312359

The convenience mart and cabins:

View attachment 312360
Are there homes across from The Short’s home? I know of one person who knew the family and supposedly his home burned up not long after The Short’s did in 2019.

Are there homes across from The Short’s home? I know of one person who knew the family and supposedly his home burned up not long after The Short’s did in 2019.
The Short's house and the one you referenced on on Route 522, which is a 4-lane divided highway. There was a house across the road, but it was across the highway

The "True Crime Garage" covers this case on 10 August. It is not unusual to see them have enough to speak about that they cover a case in 2 episodes. But this time they have THREE episodes of almost 3 hours on this case. A lot of rehash. But I either did not know or I forgot a writing on a window and an obscene message on the answering machine. Some other tidbits I didn't know about or forgot.

The "True Crime Garage" covers this case on 10 August. It is not unusual to see them have enough to speak about that they cover a case in 2 episodes. But this time they have THREE episodes of almost 3 hours on this case. A lot of rehash. But I either did not know or I forgot a writing on a window and an obscene message on the answering machine. Some other tidbits I didn't know about or forgot.
That is wild, I'm actually listening to this right now while going over the case. I had never heard about the answering machine.

I remember that too. She actually underwent hypnosis to try and remember what he looked like but at the time she couldn't remember. Some time after the hypnosis she was watching TV and saw a commercial with Mike Rowe, the actor from the "Dirty Jobs" show. Suddenly it clicked with her that the guy she saw in the truck looked like Mike Rowe! They did a sketch of the guy and it was widely circulated along with a sketch of the flatbed truck.
Do we know the ladies name?

Just my personal local observation here....

I think IF he had anything to do with it, he didn't do it alone. I think he and someone else had a hand in this horrible crime. But you're right, there isn't enough evidence to arrest this man and make him rat out the other person or persons. There is another person in this area who is pointing a finger at this Gary Bowman a little too heavily and a little too aggressively that gets my hinky meter going. But...probably will go down as another unsolved murder. We have a couple more around here that have never been solved that are somewhat close to the same set of people.
Do you have any other theories about the Short case? I would love to share some with you.

This is just my opinion but I've always thought the killer was probably from the Rockingham County area, and knew it well. I'm not from the area, but when I look at a map of where the Short's house was and then where Jennifer's body was found I get the feeling that whoever left her body there was familiar with the back roads, etc., and maybe lived in the area. I can't imagine that an out-of-state killer would pick that spot, or even know about it. Just my speculation but perhaps the guy traveled frequently on Route 220, maybe stopped at the convenience store from time to time for coffee, etc. and maybe saw Jennifer there. The only scenario that makes sense to me is that Jennifer was always the target and it was meticulously planned. The parents were killed because they were in the way. I've always thought he acted alone. He was arrogant and narcissistic. Just my opinion.

This is just my opinion but I've always thought the killer was probably from the Rockingham County area, and knew it well. I'm not from the area, but when I look at a map of where the Short's house was and then where Jennifer's body was found I get the feeling that whoever left her body there was familiar with the back roads, etc., and maybe lived in the area. I can't imagine that an out-of-state killer would pick that spot, or even know about it. Just my speculation but perhaps the guy traveled frequently on Route 220, maybe stopped at the convenience store from time to time for coffee, etc. and maybe saw Jennifer there. The only scenario that makes sense to me is that Jennifer was always the target and it was meticulously planned. The parents were killed because they were in the way. I've always thought he acted alone. He was arrogant and narcissistic. Just my opinion.
I never lived there, but I had relatives that lived in the Eden NC area at one time. That he chanced upon Jennifer while driving Rt 220? Yeah, I can see that aspect. But where he left her body that just seems like someone familiar with an area off the main routes.

We’re now approaching today as the Eve of 20 years of this case guys - the last day The Shorts has their normal day before tragedy happens on the night til the morning of 15th Aug
I am going to bolo for some new article saying how they have new information and not releasing anything to the public. It’s happened every year since.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413
Back