Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry LadyBug99, looks like we cross posted.:blushing:

OK.... Does this mean we can talk about it now?:confused:

I would think so. This has been known for quite some time, however LE delayed making the announcement to the public. I would love to know WHY??:waitasec:

This is the full statement from police:

Harrington disappeared the night of Oct. 17, 2009, during a Metallica concert at the John Paul Jones Arena on the University of Virginia (UVA) grounds in Charlottesville, Va. During the course of the investigation, police have been able to establish a timeline of Miss Harrington’s movements once she ended up outside of the arena at approximately 8:30 p.m. After talking to her friends on her cell phone, she then walked through the parking lot of University Hall and was also seen in the Lannigan Athletic Field parking lot, which is also used for RV parking. At around 9:30 p.m., she was last seen walking on the Copeley Road bridge near Ivy Road, hitchhiking for a ride.

An Albemarle County landowner discovered Harrington’s body in a field on his 700-acre farm on the morning of Jan. 26, 2010. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner ruled the manner of death as a homicide. The cause and time of death remain under investigation.

Recently completed testing by the Virginia Department of Forensic Science confirmed that a black T-shirt discovered Nov. 11, 2009, in the city of Charlottesville is the one Harrington was last seen wearing the night of the concert. The T-shirt, with the word "Pantera" spelled out in tan letters across the front, was discovered by a Charlottesville resident on Nov. 11, 2009, and turned over to investigators. The T-shirt was found on 15th Street near the intersection of Grady Avenue.

In addition, the team of investigators from the University of Virginia Police, Albemarle County Police, Charlottesville Police, Virginia State Police and the FBI assigned to the case has made substantial progress in evaluating countless possibilities and scenarios related to the circumstances surrounding Harrington’s disappearance and death.

"We are still encouraging the public to come forward with relevant information concerning Morgan Harrington," said Lt. Joe Rader, Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation Appomattox Field Office. "As this investigation continues to progress, factual details are more helpful and important to investigators than theoretical abstracts. It’s going to take that one courageous phone call to Crime Stoppers from someone who knows something firsthand about this case that will be the key to linking together the evidence and data collected to date."

Anyone with information is asked to call the Jefferson Area Crime Stoppers at (434) 977-4000. A reward of $150,041 is still available for anyone with information that leads to a resolution of this crime. Calls can also be made to local police or the Virginia State Police Tip Line at (434) 352-3467 or emailed to the State Police at bci-appomattox@vsp.virginia.gov <mailto:bci-appomattox@vsp.virginia.gov>. Anonymous tips are welcome.

Harrington disappeared the night of Oct. 17, 2009, during a Metallica concert at the John Paul Jones Arena on the University of Virginia (UVA) grounds in Charlottesville, Va. During the course of the investigation, police have been able to establish a timeline of Miss Harrington’s movements once she ended up outside of the arena at approximately 8:30 p.m. After talking to her friends on her cell phone, she then walked through the parking lot of University Hall and was also seen in the Lannigan Athletic Field parking lot, which is also used for RV parking. At around 9:30 p.m., she was last seen walking on the Copeley Road bridge near Ivy Road, hitchhiking for a ride.

An Albemarle County landowner discovered Harrington’s body in a field on his 700-acre farm on the morning of Jan. 26, 2010. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner ruled the manner of death as a homicide. The cause and time of death remain under investigation.

Recently completed testing by the Virginia Department of Forensic Science confirmed that a black T-shirt discovered Nov. 11, 2009, in the city of Charlottesville is the one Harrington was last seen wearing the night of the concert. The T-shirt, with the word "Pantera" spelled out in tan letters across the front, was discovered by a Charlottesville resident on Nov. 11, 2009, and turned over to investigators. The T-shirt was found on 15th Street near the intersection of Grady Avenue.

In addition, the team of investigators from the University of Virginia Police, Albemarle County Police, Charlottesville Police, Virginia State Police and the FBI assigned to the case has made substantial progress in evaluating countless possibilities and scenarios related to the circumstances surrounding Harrington’s disappearance and death.

"We are still encouraging the public to come forward with relevant information concerning Morgan Harrington," said Lt. Joe Rader, Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation Appomattox Field Office. "As this investigation continues to progress, factual details are more helpful and important to investigators than theoretical abstracts. It’s going to take that one courageous phone call to Crime Stoppers from someone who knows something firsthand about this case that will be the key to linking together the evidence and data collected to date."

Anyone with information is asked to call the Jefferson Area Crime Stoppers at (434) 977-4000. A reward of $150,041 is still available for anyone with information that leads to a resolution of this crime. Calls can also be made to local police or the Virginia State Police Tip Line at (434) 352-3467 or emailed to the State Police at bci-appomattox@vsp.virginia.gov <mailto:bci-appomattox@vsp.virginia.gov>. Anonymous tips are welcome.

http://www.wina.com/pages/6813495.php

Copyright 2010 NewsRadio 1070 WINA Charlottesville

Map showing distance from JPJ to where shirt found:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=Z9LH...lMkMlMjBWQV9fX2VfJm1vZGU9RCZydG9wPTB+MH4wfg==

My question is... isn't the location where her shirt was found in the opposite direction than she was last seen walking? If so, what is the significance of this?

I think her killer(s) is dumping evidence. But why be that stupid? They could have burned it, thrown it away or left it with her. Perhaps trying to throw LE off? Trying to frame someone that lives there?

1. The shirt found in November did not align with the POI they were pursuing in Nov.

2. Family couldn't positively identify the shirt as MH's, so they had to wait for DNA analysis - 5 months.

3. Until MH's body was found without the t-shirt, police backburnered the shirt, day after body was found they are out canvassing the neighborhood FINALLY.

4. They were hoping to use knowledge of the t-shirt and it's location to trip up a suspect during questioning. HAVE they questioned any real suspects?

I hope the police are following up on any people who might have moved out of the vicinity around the time the shirt was found ... POI abandoned a souvenir on his way out of town?

It is obvious that MH was wearing a number of unique pieces of clothing and jewelry but police have been doling out dribs and drabs.

Can they show us a similarly designed t-shirt NOW?

:banghead:

Wait a minute -- you mean -- the killer discared Morgan's T shirt weeks after she was abducted? Can we really know how long it had been laying there (i.e. is it possible it had been there since the night Morgan went missing?)

Just curious -- is there anything in particular that is causing people to believe that police have a POI?

Can someone now tell us why all mention of the T-shirt was scrubbed and forbidden from this site even though it was openly talked about elsewhere on the www?

Just curious -- is there anything in particular that is causing people to believe that police have a POI?

I can only speak for myself, but they get results back on the shirt and then immediately release the information? Why now? They must have a reason. Seems like a pretty crucial piece of evidence to me. I think they either have a pretty good idea who did this or they're bluffing. I hope whoever did this is starting to sweat.

MOO

Yeah, I see what you mean -- maybe they're hoping the perp will break under the pressure and confess -- unless the killer knows there's no DNA on him......

Can someone now tell us why all mention of the T-shirt was scrubbed and forbidden from this site even though it was openly talked about elsewhere on the www?

good question wes,also does anyone know if we are allowed to talk about the boots that were mentioned on other sites?

The finding of the shirt first came to light on the family&#8217;s forum, findmorgan.com about six weeks ago. It was announced by an individual who was a member there and is a highly regarded PhD in the field of CSI who was then working independently on the Harrington case and not on behalf of, or at the request of the VSP. His post just seemed to come &#8220;out of the blue&#8221;. It was not related to any current discussion that night.

Dr. Harrington himself posted that same night it was indeed Morgan&#8217;s shirt. In the space of just a few hours all posts were removed. The gentleman who made the initial post followed up with one that said he was not working with the VSP but independently. You can assume he was told to make such a post. He has not posted or been mentioned since that night. When Dr. Harrington was asked a follow up question the next day, his answer was that he would have to defer to the VSP on all questions regarding the shirt. It became clear almost immediately that this was information the VSP didn&#8217;t want to be made public.

A post was made by the moderator of that forum that night saying, at the request of the investigating officers of the VSP that there was to be no discussion of the &#8220;possible&#8221; finding of the shirt as this was an active investigation. From what I understand, that forum and its members saw the logic in that request and honored it. The moderators of this forum also had the good sense to realize that any discussion or speculation could not only jeopardize the investigation but open up one of the members here to potential legal action against them in the future for something they might post. They asked that we not discuss it and we didn&#8217;t. This forum strives to always be a part of the solution to an investigation and never part of the problem like other vehicles such as this on the web can be.

Yes, the shirt has been discussed elsewhere on the web and at other forums. There are multi-faceted aspects of running a forum such as this that most of us never consider. Legal considerations are one of them. We log on and post, never thinking of any possible repercussions. Thank goodness our moderators are as good as they are. They consider so many things we may never think of.

The purpose of this forum is to above all else expedite the apprehension of Morgan&#8217;s killer(s). A free flowing exchange of logical ideas is an excellent means to that end. Idle gossip and speculation over a piece of potentially critical evidence only jeopardizes the final objective.

I hope this answers your question.

just noticed that they have finally come forward about the shirt....I remember seeing the comments made by the guy and said something on here about the shirt being found...I received an email asking not to mention it.....I didnt again as I knew that there would be a reason the moderators asked for this and certainly didnt want to be any part of jeopardizing any investigation....

but oh wow it was true.....

I am hoping there is more DNA than just Morgan's on the shirt!!

Thanks Ghostmaster. I wasn't sure where the T-shirt mention had originated since I had seen it in a local Charlottesville online article as well as another forum or two. It was just confusing since the "news site" with the article and the other forum never took down their article or removed mention of it.

But your response did answer it for me. I didn't realize someone involved in the actual investigation with the VSP had requested it not be mentioned.

Wait a minute -- you mean -- the killer discared Morgan's T shirt weeks after she was abducted? Can we really know how long it had been laying there (i.e. is it possible it had been there since the night Morgan went missing?)

I can't say for sure if when the T-shirt was discarded. The apartment complex houses mostly college students. There are 21 units in the building. I would think with all the coming and going of residents and visitors, this would have been found sooner if it was there. IMO. It was in plain view in front of the building, so I do believe that it was placed there some time after Morgan went missing.

http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=11441340

The weekend of the 7th there was a huge weekend-long search done. I believe that the killer placed the shirt there around this time in hopes that it would be found. The shirt was found approximately 1 mile from the bridge. I think it was the killers tactic to throw off LE.

That shirt was not found that far from the fraternity/sorority area (Rugby Road.)

The general area has a lot of students, at least it did when I went to UVa and lived in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413