Found Deceased VA - Sarabeth Hammond, 17, Roanoke, 28 Dec 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We were browsing houses in the area this morning, here is a sat/terrain view of where she went off the road. It was said to be the last big curve before the top of the mountain.

IMO at 200 yards off the road and down the ravine/mountainside, this would have been very hard for searchers to notice if they were looking for evidence of a crash near the road.
bfe63339d7e0f053fa07bcaef5019a37.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was prescribed gabapentin aka neurontin years ago as a anti seizure medication. It isn't much used for that anymore, even at the time I was on it lol but I didn't like taking it because if I would forget or not bother taking it I got killer headaches. I am thinking your right about her no longer being on iv medicine because they mentioned a scar from having a port instead of saying she currently had a port in place. Due to a rare condition, i have had picc lines constantly for 8 years. They considered placing a port but the constant need to access it made it easier on me to have a picc supposdly. Thankfully her port sounds like it wasnt currently in use and in need of flushing
As for her medication, gapapentin was mentioned in her blog, and IV med...but I don't think that IV med was in Roanoke to be honest. It's just that Lyme's disease is not treated the same here as it is in the upper states. Here you get doxycycline and good luck. Seriously. Much more aggressive and knowledgeable about Lyme's in NY, from my experience as a Lyme patient!

There's no life threatening med she's missing if she's being treated for Lyme's. She can survive without, though I would imagine she has her pain meds with her as most chronic pain patients keep them close by.

bm2.png bent mt 2.jpg

How did the damage to the wall go unnoticed? You can see it clearly from the road! Wouldn't have made a difference for Sarabeth, but it could have saved her family some suffering if she had been found sooner...

From family:
It is with a sad heart that I inform this group that Sarabeth's car was found off Bent Mountain and she did not survive. The immediate family were informed (thankfully) before it got out via newscasts or social media. Thank you for your prayers, love and support. Please respect the family's privacy at this time.

https://www.

View attachment 106975 View attachment 106976

How did the damage to the wall go unnoticed? You can see it clearly from the road! Wouldn't have made a difference for Sarabeth, but it could have saved her family some suffering if she had been found sooner...

I'm wondering that myself, unless that is from a previous accident.

My thoughts & prayers are with the family.

My only remaining question: what was she doing on Bent Mountain? Did she go up there to watch the sunset? From what I can tell about her from her internet presence, she seemed to love nature, so it sounds like something she might do. Sad that it ended this way. RIP Sarabeth.

I'm really not sure how anyone who didn't see it often would have known that anything was amiss, it often takes property owners a while to fix things like that.

We were browsing houses in the area this morning, here is a sat/terrain view of where she went off the road. It was said to be the last big curve before the top of the mountain.

IMO at 200 yards off the road and down the ravine/mountainside, this would have been very hard for searchers to notice if they were looking for evidence of a crash near the road.
bfe63339d7e0f053fa07bcaef5019a37.png

Are the house / stone wall and bistro pictured on this map? I'm trying to decipher if the top of the mountain (last curve) is the one on the top or bottom of this map.

The car was white and the mountain was snowy. They were searching with drones. The property where the car wrecked is for sale and empty, caretaker noticed damage to retaining walls.

I can understand how they didn't see the white car in the snow, but somebody should have spotted the damage to the retaining wall, and investigated.

This kind of reminds me of the case in Colorado some years ago, where a woman driving an auto parts delivery truck in the mountains, slid off the road and into a lake. Before they realized she was missing and started searching for her, a major storm hit, the lake froze over and snow covered up the tire tracks. Only when the snow melted the next spring, were they able to see the tire tracks into the lake. Then they finally recovered the truck with her body in it.

I can think of other cases too. The first step in cases like this, when somebody in a car disappears, should be to search the road for signs where they might have gone off the road. It looks like this crash site, was less than a mile from where her cell phone last pinged. They should have found her sooner.

My only remaining question: what was she doing on Bent Mountain? Did she go up there to watch the sunset? From what I can tell about her from her internet presence, she seemed to love nature, so it sounds like something she might do. Sad that it ended this way. RIP Sarabeth.

Sunset was between 5:06-5:08pm here last week, it was quite dark by 6:30.

Searchers or passerby didn't notice damage to the walls, when a girl is missing up there. Grrr.

That was the big mistake in this case. As soon as they tracked her car to that location they should have started searching the road for clues, that it might have gone off the road. If the damage was still obvious three days later, it should have been noticed before.

What does it mean she saw her fb "active"? Did Sarabeth's account post something?

They found Sarabeth's car. She did not survive the crash. Devastating! [emoji853]https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1620593704913468&substory_index=0&id=1525175764455263

they werent searching that area until yesterday.

its such a fluke that she managed to go off the road right there, it looks like she literally had to follow that exact path or the stone wall or rail guard further on would have stopped her.

what a shame.

Are the house / stone wall and bistro pictured on this map? I'm trying to decipher if the top of the mountain (last curve) is the one on the top or bottom of this map.

No, they are not.
Here's a google earth capture, where I've tried to outline the image above in red, and the location where she went off the road is indicated by the yellow marker...

00001.jpg

I believe this is the location she went off the road.

2lu6ivo.jpg

2lwb2c1.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mextex