VA VA - Scott Ratigan, 24, found murdered in apartment, Arlington, 17 Jan 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't feel that analyzing a photo in depth is overcomplicating. I'm not trying to convince anyone but I d feel like giving more of an explanation as to how I came to some of these conclusions and as I've said before this is just my opinion.

The main problem with this video is the lack of light. The only good photo of his face is when he is in the sun light but he is too far away so we lose clarity. I have put these stills through various filters and adjusted the contrast and clarity. Depending on how things are adjusted you can bring out certain aspects of a photo this way. For example, the face mask he is wearing is stretched more when it is going over certain areas of his face, for example his nose chin cheeks etc. The material will become slightly stretched allowing more light to pass through. This can give us a contour of the face. Sometimes you can bring out a lot of detail and other times like this one you can't mainly due to lack of light and the dark material.

The jacket he is wearing is a North Face brand and most likely the Apex Bionic. The hood on this model has it's own unique shape. If you look at some of the photo's you can see the differences in how it will look when someone is wearing it without a hat, one with a baseball cap and the one in the video. The one in the video more closely resembles the one who is wearing a cap underneath. Take a look at the first photo of the suspect. The edge of the hood is laying over what appears to be the brim of a hat. Notice how the sides of the hood flare out pretty far to the sides. The hood is laying over what I will call a helmet. The brim is very short but also wide. This shape is symmetrical on both sides and doesn't lose it's shape even when he is running.

The other photo which gives a rear view of the hood shows IMO how much bulk there is under the hood. Even around his ears there is significant protrusion. This is not the shape of a normal head. I believe this guy had help and was in contact with someone else during this whole time. Do a Google search for Smith Alek 006 Wireless Helmet Audio Kit. This kit retails for $130. The helmets brim in the photo example is a very close match to the shape you see that sticks out slightly past the hoods brim. The audio kit is wireless and allows you to communicate with any person who also has one. This guy already spent around $500 for what he was wearing so I don't feel like cost was an element to this crime. This man was on his way to kill someone and he went to great lengths to plan it out. If all of this sounds far fetched I have no problem with that but if someone would have suggested before the video came out that a man dressed like a Ninja killed Scott they probably would have been laughed off this forum.
All my opinion if not linked to msm.

The very idea that the killer was communicating with an unknown someone scares the heck out of me!

Wouldn't the killer need to hide the helmet before entering the residence? Would it fit inside the backpack? Not sure about that. Did they stow the helmet in a room down the hall? A room like one may enter to dump trash down the chute? Surely there's a trash chute for the residents on every floor that's located in an area similar to where, in a hotel, the ice machine is kept.

Due the the security and front desk at the building, one would assume Scott was buzzed via intercom that he had a visitor.
This image showing the left side looks like where a bottle was kept w/backpack. Perhaps bleach was transported via the bottle.
ScottRatiganKiller.png
I do not think Scott was busy cleaning the apartment prior to the visit. I feel fairly confident the sister had a housekeeper for those tasks. That said, I do believe the perp brought bleach with them. But, boy o boy, that's taking a risk in not getting blotches of bleach on the black clothes being worn then walking out of the apts. looking like a zebra.

Note: All this time, I assumed the brother and sister rented the apartment; however, the news reports he was in the home of a relative... but then, I found this line:
Scott Ratigan was founded [sic] bloodied and unresponsive in his bedroom

(His father, whom I feel is a mathematical genius, is interviewed while preparing to be on his way to his son's funeral in video. He states it is not drug related.)
Arlington neighborhood on edge after 2020's first homicide

Video Released In Year-Old Ballston Homicide Case: Police Posted Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 11:33 am ET

ARLINGTON, VA — On Sunday, it will be one year since of 24-year-old Scott Ratigan was found dead in the Ballston home of a relative. Arlington County Police released surveillance video Friday in the hopes that the public will be able to identify the person of interest wanted in connection with Ratigan's death.

Officers were dispatched Jan. 17, 2020 around 5:29 p.m., to the 800 block of N. Randolph Street ..., they located Ratigan's body inside the a [sic] bedroom of the residence. He was suffering from upper body trauma and medics on the scene pronounced him dead.

... Evidence recovered from the residence showed that someone had attempted to clean up the crime scene before fleeing.

Investigators recovered a surveillance video from an exterior camera that showed a person of interest leaving the area of the incident. Police described the individual as a white man, standing about 5-foot-6 to 5-foot-8 and weighing 150-175 pounds. He was dressed all in black and carrying a backpack. The suspect walked in a pigeon-toed gait, with his feet turned inward.

Anyone with information related to this incident is asked to contact the Arlington County Police Department’s Homicide/Robbery Unit at 703-228-4180 or ACPDTipline@arlingtonva.us.
Information may also be reported anonymously through the Arlington County Crime Solvers hotline at 1-866-411-TIPS (8477).

Photo source:
Police Continue to Seek Information in Ballston Homicide
Published on January 15, 2021

Someone figured out by using the sun combined with the released video of the killer that the time they arrived was between 10:30 - 11:30am.
The departure time was between 12:40 - 12:50pm. If true, what could that tell us bc that is a long time to be inside that building?

Why did the police wait one year to release the video and seek help in IDing the killer? Did they initially believe they had their suspect only to find out they could not prove that person was present at the time due to an alibi? There has to be a very good reason for the lengthy delay in releasing the video to the public. And, I believe they have more video from the interior of the building.

HOO JMO

Androgynous man-bun killer caught on video in McDevitt/Priisch murder in Atlanta: GA - Daniel Aaron, 31, & Kristen McDevitt, 30, fatally stabbed, 22 Nov. 2021 *CCTV*

Other similarities in appearance, M.O.
Bringing that cctv video here and vice versa ..
VIDEO

ETA Suspect in Scott R case..
BREAKING: Police Release Surveillance Video of 'Person of Interest' in Ballston Murder
''The full ACPD press release and additional surveillance images are below.
The Arlington County Police Department’s Homicide/Robbery Unit is seeking the public’s assistance identifying a person of interest captured in surveillance video as they continue to investigate the circumstances that led to the death of 24-year-old Scott Ratigan one year ago. The Ratigan family has established a reward fund of $25,000 for information leading to an arrest and conviction of the suspect(s) involved in Scott’s homicide.

At approximately 5:29 p.m. on January 17, 2020, police were dispatched to the 800 block of N. Randolph Street for the report of cardiac arrest. Upon arrival, it was determined a relative of the victim entered his bedroom after becoming concerned he had not recently been heard from. The adult male victim was located inside his bedroom suffering from trauma to the upper body and was pronounced deceased on scene by medics. An autopsy by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner ruled the death a homicide. Evidence recovered at the scene indicates the suspect(s) attempted to clean the crime scene prior to fleeing the residence.

Surveillance video recovered from an exterior camera shows a person of interest leaving the area around the suspected time of the homicide. The individual is described as a White male, approximately 5’6″ – 5’8″ tall, weighing 150 – 175 lbs, dressed in all black, carrying a black backpack and walking with his feet turned inward, often referred to as a pigeon-toed gait. Detectives would like to identify and speak with this individual.

To date, detectives have conducted an intensive investigation into this incident including collecting information, analyzing crime scene evidence, speaking with witnesses and canvasing the area near the crime scene. Detectives continue to actively follow investigative leads in this case but believe there is someone, somewhere with information that will allow us to solve this case and seek justice on behalf of the Ratigan family. If you have information in this case, no matter how insignificant you may feel it is, we implore you to come forward and speak with detectives.

Anyone with information related to this incident is asked to contact the Arlington County Police Department’s Homicide/Robbery Unit at 703-228-4180 or ACPDTipline@arlingtonva.us.''

Last edited:
I have been following this thread for some time. As someone who lives in the area and knows a few people who knew the victim in this case, I have gathered a few theories....

1) his girlfriend may have been a sugar baby. An asian sugar daddy in particular may have felt animosity toward SR assuming she decided to cut ties if they decided to get back together as they were on and off again. In which case, i suspect it could have been a hire for kill.

2) victim may have been struggling with his sexuality and killed for either the same reason above or because both men were hiding this relationship and a revelation of said relationship was going to compromise 1 of the 2's secret

3) someone he may have gone to high school with who had this distinctive walk.... I cannot name said person, but I believe there is a person(s) of interest in this regard.

Anyone with updates? It's nuts that the only media coverage I see on this case are the posts made on the IG page for justice.

Updates on Scott's murder investigation? It took LEO an entire year to release the cctv of the POI so it's doubtful they're willing to announce anything else. It is strange that LEO would wait a year to release this info when chances of someone's memory being piqued is slim. Hence, do the police expect someone to recognize the POI as a local, perhaps one that frequented the bar that SR also frequented?

It is odd that someone at the young age of 24 would manage to make an enemy who seriously wished him dead. His career was just getting started so it's doubtful there was a connection to his work in sales, jmo.

I find it intriguing that the killer found it necessary to attempt to clean the scene. Why bother? Was bleach used during the cleaning process?

By killing Scott in his bedroom, it brings sexuality into the forefront, purposefully. We don't know if SR was expecting an escapade or if the killer forced him onto his bed before the trauma began.

Note: The guy involved in the Atlanta murders mentioned above has been arrested.

JMHOO

It is odd also to have spurts of CCTV of the POI, that I've referred to as the killer, yet no one has come forward with tips that would prompt an arrest.

One year ago, a young man went missing in Luling TX while in route to his parents home near Houston, when Police released some of their evidence this week. It isn't much. Videos. Lots of Videos. Why did they take a year to tell us the circumstances of drugs and enlightenment surrounding his MPs case?

Why did it take a year for the police to speak to Scott's killer via the cctv footage? Who is available, one year later, to recall seeing that figure dressed in black around the time of the crime that fateful day?

Large video.
Surveillance video of person of interest - YouTube
Jan 15 2022
BREAKING: Police Release Surveillance Video of 'Person of Interest' in Ballston Murder | ARLnow - Arlington, Va. local news
''Police are releasing new photos, video and information in the year-old unsolved murder of a 24-year-old man in a Ballston apartment.

Scott Ratigan was founded bloodied and unresponsive in his bedroom, at the AVA Ballston Square apartment building (850 N. Randolph Street), around 5:30 p.m. on Jan. 17, 2020. Police now say he suffered “trauma to the upper body.”

ARLnow reported at the time that the 911 caller — now identified as a relative of Ratigan — reported a strong smell of bleach in the apartment. Police now say that “evidence recovered at the scene indicates the suspect(s) attempted to clean the crime scene prior to fleeing the residence.”

Today, ahead of the one-year anniversary of the crime, Arlington County police also released video and three surveillance images of a “person of interest” — seen leaving the area while wearing a mask, before that became commonplace during the pandemic.''

“The individual is described as a White male, approximately 5’6″ – 5’8″ tall, weighing 150 – 175 lbs, dressed in all black, carrying a black backpack and walking with his feet turned inward, often referred to as a pigeon-toed gait,” ACPD said. “Detectives would like to identify and speak with this individual.”

Large video.
Surveillance video of person of interest - YouTube
Jan 15 2022
BREAKING: Police Release Surveillance Video of 'Person of Interest' in Ballston Murder | ARLnow - Arlington, Va. local news
''Police are releasing new photos, video and information in the year-old unsolved murder of a 24-year-old man in a Ballston apartment.

Scott Ratigan was founded bloodied and unresponsive in his bedroom, at the AVA Ballston Square apartment building (850 N. Randolph Street), around 5:30 p.m. on Jan. 17, 2020. Police now say he suffered “trauma to the upper body.”

ARLnow reported at the time that the 911 caller — now identified as a relative of Ratigan — reported a strong smell of bleach in the apartment. Police now say that “evidence recovered at the scene indicates the suspect(s) attempted to clean the crime scene prior to fleeing the residence.”

Today, ahead of the one-year anniversary of the crime, Arlington County police also released video and three surveillance images of a “person of interest” — seen leaving the area while wearing a mask, before that became commonplace during the pandemic.''

“The individual is described as a White male, approximately 5’6″ – 5’8″ tall, weighing 150 – 175 lbs, dressed in all black, carrying a black backpack and walking with his feet turned inward, often referred to as a pigeon-toed gait,” ACPD said. “Detectives would like to identify and speak with this individual.”

This was Jan 15, 2021 not 2022. Not a new article sadly.

This article above with the surveillance footage did make the year end list for biggest stories of the year ranking #7 for views. https://www.arlnow.com/2021/12/29/top-25-arlington-stories-of-2021-6-10/

T
here is a sicko out there. I wish Arlington PD would give an update.

This was Jan 15, 2021 not 2022. Not a new article sadly.

This article above with the surveillance footage did make the year end list for biggest stories of the year ranking #7 for views. Top 25 Arlington Stories of 2021: #6-10

T
here is a sicko out there. I wish Arlington PD would give an update.
Thanks for spotting that the youtube video was released circa 2021 not 2022, time for a new article!

It never hurts to have the cctv of the killer to serve as a reminder of what happened to Scottie Ratigan.

In thinking about the concierge or receptionist desk on the ground floor, it's intriguing that the killer managed to bypass signing in, checking in, being buzzed in, etc.

Someone (AS) figured out by using the sun combined with the released video of the killer that the time they arrived was between 10:30 - 11:30am. Departure time was between 12:40 - 12:50pm.

If Arrin Stone's work on the timeline is mostly accurate, then I suppose the killer was inside the apartment a good long time. But, why? If it's premeditated that you'll murder someone, why would you first stay inside the same apartment with the victim for two hours! That's a very long time to wait while about to be killed. Wonder when Scott began to realize his life was in danger? Was he tortured by this madman killer?

Someone threads ago, suggested that perhaps the killer used a taser. Maybe had Scott's mouth gagged so he couldn't scream. Scott looks twice this guy's size. There had to be a weapon for controlling Scott. Was tazing causing the trauma on the chest? Blood was coming from his mouth, hands (defensive wounds?) and neck. What happened to Scott's neck? Was it broken?

Hey all,

Long time reader of this thread (I'm acquainted with victim's sister), just wanted to quickly post something that I think accounts for the person of interest's mask and gait, because I haven't seen anyone else post this (apologies if I missed it):

It was January...it was COLD! Almanac says that day didn't break 40 degrees.

I personally have worn a balaclava around DC/NoVa if it was a cold, windy day to reduce wind burn; I wouldn't call it common, but I wouldn't necessarily immediately think "oh, CLEARLY that person just did a crime" either. I've also walked/skipped in a similar fashion to the pigeon-toed situation seen in the video when trying to quickly get from point A to B in cold weather. This would also explain why it isn't consistent in the video.

Some other odds and ends:
- On the topic of gender, the person of interest definitely has athletic, male buttocks in my opinion.
- Someone asked about LGBTQ bars in the area (contemplating a potential closet/unrequited love scenario IIRC), and I would immediately point to Freddie's in Crystal City. Pretty well-known Arlington gay bar, there was a noteworthy movement to ensure that it didn't get gentrified out of existence in the wake of HQ2's arrival.
- In the buildings I've lived in in the area, most people are polite/courteous and hold the doors for people in otherwise "secure" buildings. Probably not difficult for the perp to get in.
- Definitely agree in regards to individuals having workplace-branded backpacks; extremely common in the area.

I didn't know the sister had a brother until this happened, so that's all I feel comfortable commenting on for now. Keep up the sleuthing though! I hope the family is able to find peace and justice.

Bumping this important post forward that was allegedly written by a local re: observations on the mask, balaclava, backpack, running on tippy toes in cold weather, etc.
jmo

Just came across this thread. Sad that it has been over two years with seemingly little, if any, progress. Mostly posting to bump the thread....

My comment -- the white edges of the shoes seem very clean/white. Doesn't look like blood would have gotten on them, imo. If the killer used bleach for cleaning, I don't think they had a lot on himself (or herself) or else some passerby might have remembered someone going by smelling strongly of bleach. (Or the elevator reeking of bleach.)

I have spent time in that area many times through the years. The black clothes are a smart choice because, imo, generally there/the D.C. area, you tend to see pretty conservative/muted clothing. (This is just my observation of crowds, people on the metro, etc.) Bright colors or patterns are pretty noticeable because so many who live/work there stick to black, navy, or brown.

Just came across this thread. Sad that it has been over two years with seemingly little, if any, progress. Mostly posting to bump the thread....

My comment -- the white edges of the shoes seem very clean/white. Doesn't look like blood would have gotten on them, imo. If the killer used bleach for cleaning, I don't think they had a lot on himself (or herself) or else some passerby might have remembered someone going by smelling strongly of bleach. (Or the elevator reeking of bleach.)

I have spent time in that area many times through the years. The black clothes are a smart choice because, imo, generally there/the D.C. area, you tend to see pretty conservative/muted clothing. (This is just my observation of crowds, people on the metro, etc.) Bright colors or patterns are pretty noticeable because so many who live/work there stick to black, navy, or brown.
Thanks for posting. It’s been awhile since I checked in here and I was so excited to see an update on Scott’s thread.
Arlington PD - this case needs to get solved. Reach out if you need help.

Police Continue to Seek Information in Ballston Homicide – Official Website of Arlington County Virginia Government (arlingtonva.us)
''January 15, 2021
UPDATE (10/27/21) – The Ratigan family is announcing an increase in their reward fund from $25,000 to $50,000 for information leading to an arrest and conviction of the suspect(s) responsible for Scott Ratigan’s homicide on January 17, 2020. Detectives continue to follow-up on any and all investigative leads in this case and remind the public that any information, regardless of how small it may seem, could be the tip that leads to justice on behalf of Scott and the Ratigan family.

Anyone with information related to this incident is asked to contact the Arlington County Police Department’s Homicide/Robbery Unit at 703-228-4180 or ACPDTipline@arlingtonva.us. Information may also be reported anonymously through the Arlington County Crime Solvers hotline at 1-866-411-TIPS (8477).

ARLINGTON, Va. (Published 1/15/21) — The Arlington County Police Department's Homicide/Robbery Unit is seeking the public's assistance identifying a person of interest captured in surveillance video as they continue to investigate the circumstances that led to the death of 24-year-old Scott Ratigan one year ago. The Ratigan family has established a reward fund of $25,000 for information leading to an arrest and conviction of the suspect(s) involved in Scott's homicide.

At approximately 5:29 p.m. on January 17, 2020, police were dispatched to the 800 block of N. Randolph Street for the report of cardiac arrest. Upon arrival, it was determined a relative of the victim entered his bedroom after becoming concerned he had not recently been heard from. The adult male victim was located inside his bedroom suffering from trauma to the upper body and was pronounced deceased on scene by medics. An autopsy by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner ruled the death a homicide. Evidence recovered at the scene indicates the suspect(s) attempted to clean the crime scene prior to fleeing the residence.

Surveillance video recovered from an exterior camera shows a person of interest leaving the area around the suspected time of the homicide. The individual is described as a White male, approximately 5'6" — 5'8" tall, weighing 150 — 175 lbs, dressed in all black, carrying a black backpack and walking with his feet turned inward, often referred to as a pigeon-toed gait. Detectives would like to identify and speak with this individual.
WATCH: Person of interest captured on surveillance video
To date, detectives have conducted an intensive investigation into this incident including collecting information, analyzing crime scene evidence, speaking with witnesses and canvasing the area near the crime scene. Detectives continue to actively follow investigative leads in this case but believe there is someone, somewhere with information that will allow us to solve this case and seek justice on behalf of the Ratigan family. If you have information in this case, no matter how insignificant you may feel it is, we implore you to come forward and speak with detectives.

Anyone with information related to this incident is asked to contact the Arlington County Police Department's Homicide/Robbery Unit at 703-228-4180 or ACPDTipline@arlingtonva.us.''

Image Gallery
(PNG, 1MB)
(PNG, 316KB)
(PNG, 163KB)

It never hurts to have the cctv of the killer to serve as a reminder of what happened to Scottie Ratigan.

In thinking about the concierge or receptionist desk on the ground floor, it's intriguing that the killer managed to bypass signing in, checking in, being buzzed in, etc.

If Arrin Stone's work on the timeline is mostly accurate, then I suppose the killer was inside the apartment a good long time. But, why? If it's premeditated that you'll murder someone, why would you first stay inside the same apartment with the victim for two hours! That's a very long time to wait while about to be killed. Wonder when Scott began to realize his life was in danger? Was he tortured by this madman killer?

Someone threads ago, suggested that perhaps the killer used a taser. Maybe had Scott's mouth gagged so he couldn't scream. Scott looks twice this guy's size. There had to be a weapon for controlling Scott. Was tazing causing the trauma on the chest? Blood was coming from his mouth, hands (defensive wounds?) and neck. What happened to Scott's neck? Was it broken?

Wow! I've learned much more from this video. The narrator shows how he was able to enter the building and even get on the elevator to the floor. I am now wondering how the killer got into the apartment. I would have thought Scott would have looked through a peep hole before opening the door. If the killer knew how to get in the building to the apartment, then the killer had to have come up with a way to get in the apartment.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back