MISTRIAL Vanderbilt Rape Trial - Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Justice questions seal on Vanderbilt rape trial as unusual

http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...l-unusual-nashville-vanderbilt-rape/28190601/

A court order sealing all evidence presented during the public trial of two former Vanderbilt University football players who raped another student is so unusual even the Tennessee Supreme Court is curious about it.

Nashville Criminal Court Judge Monte Watkins initiated the order, which seals all evidence and testimony presented at the more than two-week trial in January when a jury found Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey guilty in the rape.

At the time, media advocates labeled the court order unprecedented. Supreme Court Chief Justice Sharon Lee took time during a related case on Thursday to question the order as unusual.

The reason some legal minds say the order stands out is because the rape trial was open to the public.

It was shown live on TV and the Internet. Reporters rapidly tweeted tidbits of testimony. Anyone could have walked in to watch.

Watkins has not said why the order sealing all trial evidence and testimony was needed. Two other protective orders were agreed upon to keep graphic images of the rape victim from getting out to the public. The Tennessean is not seeking those images in its case, which is now before the Supreme Court. Watkins' office has also refused to release trial transcripts.

Is this all to protect the victim or the football players?

7 questions about Vanderbilt rape case mistrial requests

A Nashville criminal court judge will consider Monday whether two former Vanderbilt University football players convicted of raping an unconscious student should get a new trial.

Here are seven questions and answers to get you up to speed with what's going on — and what could happen — in the high-profile case.

(snip)
What's next?

Two other former football players, Jaborian "Tip" McKenzie, 20, and Brandon E. Banks, 21, were also charged and are awaiting trial. No dates have been set in their case.

Also pending in court: The Tennessean and a coalition of media agencies are suing Metro government for access to records — such as text messages between Vanderbilt players and coaches — that police reviewed as part of the investigation. The Tennessee Supreme Court is considering that case.

more at link: www.tennessean.com/story/news/http:...l-mistrial-motion-preview-nashville/71014646/

really a MUST READ.....i wish i could copy the whole thing.....it's direct and to the point and explains where we are right now.......

see you tomorrow :seeya:

7 questions about Vanderbilt rape case mistrial requests

A Nashville criminal court judge will consider Monday whether two former Vanderbilt University football players convicted of raping an unconscious student should get a new trial.

Here are seven questions and answers to get you up to speed with what's going on — and what could happen — in the high-profile case.

(snip)
What's next?

Two other former football players, Jaborian "Tip" McKenzie, 20, and Brandon E. Banks, 21, were also charged and are awaiting trial. No dates have been set in their case.

Also pending in court: The Tennessean and a coalition of media agencies are suing Metro government for access to records — such as text messages between Vanderbilt players and coaches — that police reviewed as part of the investigation. The Tennessee Supreme Court is considering that case.

more at link: www.tennessean.com/story/news/http:...l-mistrial-motion-preview-nashville/71014646/

really a MUST READ.....i wish i could copy the whole thing.....it's direct and to the point and explains where we are right now.......

see you tomorrow :seeya:

:bump:

Prosecutors Seek To Avoid Mistrial In Vanderbilt Rape Case

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Prosecutors have asked a Nashville judge not to declare a mistrial in the case of two former Vanderbilt football players convicted in the dorm room rape of a student.

According to reports, prosecutors have rebutted defense attorneys' arguments that one juror intentionally did not disclose he was a statutory rape victim.

In a response unsealed Thursday by Criminal Court Judge Monte Watkins, prosecutors said the juror never considered himself a victim and made no attempts to sway other jury members who heard the Vanderbilt case.

Watkins has been scheduled to hear defense motions on Monday for a new trial for 21-year-olds Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey. Both were convicted in January of multiple counts of aggravated rape and sexual battery for the 2013 assault of an unconscious female student.

http://www.scrippsmedia.com/newscha...strial-In-Vanderbilt-Rape-Case-307115691.html

VandenburgBatey1281.jpg

Batey's attorney gives his argument

Screen_Shot_2015_06_15_at_10_29_41_AM.png

VandenBurg's attorney gives his argument

Screen_Shot_2015_06_15_at_10_31_18_AM.png

Todd Easter, jury foreman, takes the stand

Screen_Shot_2015_06_15_at_10_41_39_AM.png

oh thank you tiger for the link..........i hope this is archived, i just signed on...........

please post it if anyone finds it later :seeya:.......can't believe i missed so much of it!

thanks so much

Stacey Barchenger ‏@sbarchenger 31m31 minutes ago

Hearing in #vandytrial is underway. We don't know yet if Judge Monte Watkins will rule on mistrial motions today. I think it's likely.
3 retweets 0 favorites

Warrick Robinson is finally done with his questioning of Todd Easter, court will be in a 15 min recess.

Stacey Barchenger ‏@sbarchenger 51s52 seconds ago

I can only tweet during breaks. Here's what you missed in first part of #vandytrial mistrial hearing: Disputed juror is testifying.

(queenie note: lol, hope there is more to come)

ok here is one.....

Stacey Barchenger ‏@sbarchenger 56s57 seconds ago

Expect to hear from at least one other juror in #vandytrial before hearing ends. It could last all day. Not sure if judge will rule today.

very informative lol

Stacey Barchenger ‏@sbarchenger 52s53 seconds ago

Juror who was victim in statutory rape case in 2000 says he never thought about defendant in that case during #vandytrail jury selection.

Stacey Barchenger ‏@sbarchenger 39s39 seconds ago

Atty Worrick Robinson: "You were the victim in the case of state of Tennessee vs. Matthew Swift, were you not?" Juror: "Legally, yes sir."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke
Back