Verdict: GUILTY for both Millard and Smich of 1st degree murder

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol - true! :) Is it possible we will hear at 8:45 they have reached a verdict but court won't come into order until the morning? Or would they read the verdict regardless of time? I understand they normally give a 1 hour lead time to assemble everyone.

Wouldn't that be something.....
Jury-Judge, we the Jury have reached our verdict.
Judge-hold onto that thought, let the defendants sleep on it tonight :D

Betcha, DM and MS wouldn't sleep much! Might see a few bald patches of hair instead of the awful bowl cut that LH described.

In all seriousness, I'd think they'd read the verdict so the Jury could go home to their families. But just a guess, I really do not know.

OK- we're in my verdict prediction window- IMHO, the fact that they haven't sought any clarification, instruction or review of evidence today is a good thing. I think they're very, very close and am still holding out faith that we'll be hearing the verdict this afternoon :)

My guess is after lunch on Saturday. :) Happy to be wrong! But not looking forward to working for a living all day again... :p

Again, I didn't doubt that they all did drugs, its the quantity that we don't know. Me and all my friends did coke regularly when we were in our early 20s and none of us were mad out of our heads. Now if you have any evidence to show that these guys were getting trashed on hard drugs like coke on a daily basis, I'd be interested in hearing, but all we've heard about is Smich's weed and booze habit and drugs at parties.

The jury heard that Millard and Smich smoked pot, that Smich used Oxycodone and was once arrested for cocaine possession, and that Andrew Michalski rounded up all the drugs in Millard's home and dropped them in a stairwell for Smich after Millard's arrest.

The jury wasn't told, however, that Millard and Smich were involved in a lot more than just marijuana — and while Millard's lawyers made sure to point out that Smich sold drugs every chance they could, Millard sold drugs too.

That was pulled out of evidence at Goodman's order that the trial not "degenerate into a free-for-all" about drug abuse, and thus, bad character evidence.

Andrew Michalski
The jury was told Millard's friend and former roommate Andrew Michalski rounded up weed from Millard's house to give to Smich. What the jury didn't hear is that bag contained more than just pot. (Facebook)

Millard's friend Michalski provided a stark look into Millard's affinity for drugs — both using them and selling them.

"Dell used heroin once. Cocaine, we all did it," Michalski said in one of his police statements, adding that Millard also used steroids. The bag that Michalski used to round up drugs from Millard's house had "more than just weed" in it, prosecutor Craig Fraser said during one legal argument.

Millard also sent a computer packed with drugs like steroids and pot to Michalski at one point when he was in Winnipeg, court heard. During Arthur Jennings's testimony, there was a voir dire where Millard's lawyers talked about a trailer that mechanic Shane Schlatman was building for Millard with secret compartments built inside.

Speculation was that it was designed to import narcotics.

Smich's drug use often popped up when the jury was out of the room, too. He used cocaine, LSD and the powerful prescription painkiller Oxycodone.

At one point in a voir dire of Michalski, Millard's lawyer Nadir Sachak said, "Mr. Smich sold crack," before Goodman abruptly stopped him.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/tim-bosma-trial-what-the-jury-didnt-hear-1.3631268

Millard’s pal, Shane Schlatman built a secret compartment — to conceal and import illicit drugs — inside the trailer used to transport Millard’s racing vehicle to Mexico, according to Crown evidence.

Millard allegedly wanted to steal Bosma’s diesel truck because it was cheaper to haul his vehicle and smuggle drugs.

The jury also never heard evidence from Crown witnesses that Millard used cocaine and tried heroin.

The jury also never knew that Millard — according to Crown witnesses —was selling steroid and pot to his room-mate Andrew Michalski

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/06/1...cuseds-theory-in-tim-bosma-murder-trial-judge

There were few details, but there were repeated references to Millard having his mechanic modify a trailer to install special or secret compartments inside. It was suggested the compartments were designed to conceal drugs.

There was a push to get the compartments in the trailer finished at about the same time Christina Noudga, Millard’s girlfriend, said she and Millard were preparing to travel to B.C., court heard.

Noudga said if the opportunity presented itself, they might load up on high-quality marijuana while in the west. Perhaps the two schemes were linked but the issue was not explored.

There was also an allegation that Millard sent a computer with marijuana and steroids hidden inside it to his friend, Andrew Michalski, when Michalski was in Winnipeg.

A photo of a computer with the guts showing was discussed in court when the jury was not there; the photo had been sent between Millard and Michalski in text messages. The photo was seen as inconclusive and the issue not relevant to the charges.

Drugs were a huge part of Millard and Smich’s life. That became clear to jurors — slowly — as the testimony dribbled in. There were, at first, passing references to marijuana, then drugs at parties.

By the end of the trial, however, drug use came to the forefront in the testimony of several witnesses who were friends of Millard’s and Smich’s. Jurors learned one of Smich’s nicknames was “Juice” because of how often he drank alcohol.

Brendan Daly, who said he was Smich’s “best friend,” said he met Smich almost every day to drink and smoke pot. Noudga said she and Millard were stoned a lot, smoking pot almost every time they got together, often smoking a high volume, even when they were driving.

But jurors were not told the full story on the alleged drug use of the two accused.

Goodman tried to restrict witness testimony to marijuana, but cocaine, heroin, steroids, pills, LSD and oxycontin all were part of the behind-the-scenes evidence.

Michalski told police during an interrogation that their circle of friends all used cocaine and that Millard had tried heroin.

The jury wasn’t told that a toolbox was filled with all kinds of different drugs that Millard would pull out at parties to keep guests entertained, with suggestions instead it was used for marijuana.

“I am going to ensure this trial does not degenerate into a free-for-all to drug abuse by either of the accused,” Goodman said in one ruling on the matter. He forbade any mention of steroids, heroin, cocaine, needles or other illicit drugs.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...jury-didnt-hear-in-the-tim-bosma-murder-trial

Wouldn't that be something.....
Jury-Judge, we the Jury have reached our verdict.
Judge-hold onto that thought, let the defendants sleep on it tonight :D

Betcha, DM and MS wouldn't sleep much! Might see a few bald patches of hair instead of the awful bowl cut that LH described.

In all seriousness, I'd think they'd read the verdict so the Jury could go home to their families. But just a guess, I really do not know.

I think they would read the verdict just so the Bosmas would not be left hanging. That would be rough on them and no one wants to add to what they've been through.

IMO I now can see how much of a liar and how evasive MH was.

Another thing I noticed is his statement that he didn't think there may be something besides drugs in the toolbox until he discussed it with his dad. What did his dad know about DM that drew this out? Seems he knew DM was bad news.

Should I ever be called, what is the appropriate attire for jury duty? And don't say business casual because my work is from home where I can wear anything from pjs to yoga pants, to jeans and a top.

Another thing I noticed is his statement that he didn't think there may be something besides drugs in the toolbox until he discussed it with his dad. What did his dad know about DM that drew this out? Seems he knew DM was bad news.

Or, maybe by that point, the dad had heard more on the news.

OK- we're in my verdict prediction window- IMHO, the fact that they haven't sought any clarification, instruction or review of evidence today is a good thing. I think they're very, very close and am still holding out faith that we'll be hearing the verdict this afternoon :)

I would like that, but given the lameness of the first question, I'm worried.

Should I ever be called, what is the appropriate attire for jury duty? And don't say business casual because my work is from home where I can wear anything from pjs to yoga pants, to jeans and a top.
Most jurors were dressed "business casual" the few times I was in the courtroom lol. Not wearing suits by any means but not in shorts and flip flops ;) MOO

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I guess that depends on whether you want to be chosen or not. Dress up Goth and the Crown will likely use up a challenge on you.

[video=twitter;743437702633299968]https://twitter.com/natalie_kalata/status/743437702633299968[/video]

I can't speak directly to jury duty but from my viewpoint...yoga pants are ALWAYS acceptable attire! MOO

IMO I now can see how much of a liar and how evasive MH was.

But some of his evasiveness may be because of what lawyers and the judge told him he was not allowed to say. Sort of like RB--he wanted to share a lot more but was told not to.

If DM and MS don't each get verdicts of guilty of first degree murder I will be quite shocked. The Crown laid out its case well and said that the crime is senseless but sometimes people are just killers. I agree. The average person will likely never be able to fully comprehend what is in the minds of these two cruel and calculating buggers. That's actually a good thing!

The TB case had almost too much evidence in a way and that may complicate things for the jury. I worry about that. When I look at what makes most sense in the story of what happened to Tim this is how I see it: Two degenerate types of grown men, DM and MS who had no meaningful motivation to get up in the morning, no desire to lead decent lives, found love and acceptance and friendship with one another. After a few years of wasting their time together, committing crimes just for the hell of it, selling and doing drugs, partying whenever they felt like it, driving around aimlessly, creating rap music, buying guns and corrupting young men and women in their midst, they realized that they had forged a bond that was unlike any other they had known. Together they could escalate things in perfectly sick harmony!

Together they took incredible risks, and perhaps the biggest risk, the most profound, was each of them taking the chance that the other would identify with their warped inner nature. They did all kinds of things to feed their unquiet minds and to tackle the boredom of their meaningless lives and to create excitement and that included sharing their darkest secrets, their pent up anger and frustrations, their fascination with power, violence, madness and mayhem. They were like crazed and vicious vampires that fed off each other's thirst for the thrill of the hunt and together they both hungered for opportunities to unleash their bloodlust on defenceless victims. I think they both considered themselves to be brilliant criminal strategists and I have no doubt that they each thought that together they could indulge their horrific fantasies and get away with everything their twisted minds conjured up, including murder!

I'm so grateful that both MS and DM were caught, but I feel very sad that they weren't caught sooner. I think of TB and he could have been my son. I think of LB and she could have been my daughter. I think of WM and of how hopeless his final moment must have felt when he realized his darling son, his own flesh and blood, the golden boy he adored had his finger on the trigger of a gun pointed heartlessly at his face! MS lived at Maplegate at the time WM was killed and that was after LB had been killed. Though MS was not charged in that particular murder, it is no coincidence that he happened to live there at the time, IMO.

There has to be justice for the victims. Our communities also need to feel protected from MS and DM. I hope soon that the jury brings back fitting verdicts that agree.

All MOO.

Goof is about the worst thing you can call someone in Canadian jails. It basically translates to a child molester, or diddler. Don't think "goofy" is the same, but calling someone a "goof" behind bars, like whistling, pretty much guarantees a beating. It's not something that is easily understood, but it is jailhouse code, and it is very real.

You can't whistle in jail?😱

If DM and MS don't each get verdicts of guilty of first degree murder I will be quite shocked. The Crown laid out its case well and said that the crime is senseless but sometimes people are just killers. I agree. The average person will likely never be able to fully comprehend what is in the minds of these two cruel and calculating buggers. That's actually a good thing!

The TB case had almost too much evidence in a way and that may complicate things for the jury. I worry about that. When I look at what makes most sense in the story of what happened to Tim this is how I see it: Two degenerate types of grown men, DM and MS who had no meaningful motivation to get up in the morning, no desire to lead decent lives, found love and acceptance and friendship with one another. After a few years of wasting their time together, committing crimes just for the hell of it, selling and doing drugs, partying whenever they felt like it, driving around aimlessly, creating rap music, buying guns and corrupting young men and women in their midst, they realized that they had forged a bond that was unlike any other they had known. Together they could escalate things in perfectly sick harmony!

Together they took incredible risks, and perhaps the biggest risk, the most profound, was each of them taking the chance that the other would identify with their warped inner nature. They did all kinds of things to feed their unquiet minds and to tackle the boredom of their meaningless lives and to create excitement and that included sharing their darkest secrets, their pent up anger and frustrations, their fascination with power, violence, madness and mayhem. They were like crazed and vicious vampires that fed off each other's thirst for the thrill of the hunt and together they both hungered for opportunities to unleash their bloodlust on defenceless victims. I think they both considered themselves to be brilliant criminal strategists and I have no doubt that they each thought that together they could indulge their horrific fantasies and get away with everything their twisted minds conjured up, including murder!

I'm so grateful that both MS and DM were caught, but I feel very sad that they weren't caught sooner. I think of TB and he could have been my son. I think of LB and she could have been my daughter. I think of WM and of how hopeless his final moment must have felt when he realized his darling son, his own flesh and blood, the golden boy he adored had his finger on the trigger of a gun pointed heartlessly at his face! MS lived at Maplegate at the time WM was killed and that was after LB had beepn killed. Though MS was not charged in that particular murder, it is no coincidence that he happened to live there at the time, IMO.

There has to be justice for the victims. Our communities also need to feel protected from MS and DM. I hope soon that the jury brings back fitting verdicts that agree.

All MOO.

entertaining as always

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members