verdict watch 5/8/2013 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, by statute, the victim does not have to pre-disclose these statements. A lot of people think this statute is unconstitutional, but AFAIK the AZ Supreme Court has not agreed with any of those people to date.

I'm confused as to why the defense would want to know. I guess they want to bring up something to counter whatever someone would say? But isn't everything a person says in a victim impact statement just their personal opinion/feelings? Are Nurmi & Wilmott going to call them a liar? I'm genuinely confused as to the point. :waitasec:

I've been wondering if part of the hold up in the jury room might not be Juan stipulating that JA was not holding the knife and gun during that infamous German Shepard picture.

I have a lot of faith in Juan and what he did in this case, but the minute they settled that matter by having both sides agree to the stipulation and telling the jury so, I wondered if it wasn't going to come back to haunt the deliberations. If both sides agree that in that second she wasn't holding the gun or the knife, it might make the jury stop and wonder where the knife came from if the prosecution's theory is that she stabbed him first. He's already agreed she wasn't holding it at that moment. They may be having a hard time latching onto premeditation because the two things seem contradictory in nature, she didn't have the knife, but then she did and specifically stabbed him first.

I'm pretty sure jurors weren't part of that hearing, therefore, they would not having any knowledge.

HLN is driving me crazy with the polls on Which Mom or Dad is Most Memorable? They have nothing to talk about. Besides, there is no contest. No one will ever top George and Cindy Anthony in that category.

The juror room? Something is amiss there. He wouldn't be in there with the jury. Either the jury is NOT in that room right now, or somebody misspoke. Attorneys do not have any contact whatsoever with a deliberating jury.

The something that is amiss is Wild.... he also tweeted the other day that Valerie had gone into the jury room.
No one except jurors are allowed in the actual jury room.

The process of voir dire gives both sides a chance to figure out who the "dullards" are. That's the jury screening process and it all takes place in the open, like it should.

You know there are a lot of seemingly bright people on this board who for some reason cannot grasp the concept of time zones and googling to find a link to live streaming. I'm sure they could easily pass any test you throw down. I know I would not want a one of them on a jury hearing my case.

Do your best in voir dire and you get what you get.

I'm not thrilled with the caliber of people on a lot of juries, but pre-testing is just wrong, IMO.
There should be more critical thinking & common sense questions during jury selection.

Hi

How much time will there be from an announcement that there is a verdict and then the time it's actually read?

KCL said the family said about 30 minutes or so. That said, Jodi has to change into her court clothes and the family and lawyers will be given time to get there.

Well, by statute, the victim does not have to pre-disclose these statements. A lot of people think this statute is unconstitutional, but AFAIK the AZ Supreme Court has not agreed with any of those people to date.

Thanks AZlawyer I hope the Family tells her to stick it up her well used ......well you know

A female juror opens Deliberation Room door, flips hair with her hand and hurries to ladies room to peepee while female bailiff trails behind to accompany her.

Jean Cesarez will report, "OMG, things are intense in that jury room. I just saw a female juror wiping away a tear and running to the ladies room. The bailiff raced after her. Now they're both in the ladies room and I'm sure the juror is sobbing. This does not bode well for Juan Martinez."

Honest to Gawd, you know that's what she would report seeing.

If Jean still practiced law, she would have made a wonderful ambulance chaser.
Good to see you here!

I just watched Deanna Reid on Dr. Drew. She is an impressive young lady - I think that if Travis Alexander would have had a mother his "mama" would have joyfully given her son the "gentle" nudge to marry Deanna Reid.

It makes me very sad to hear that Travis Alexander did not feel as though he deserved to be loved - and, that Evil Arias was able to take advantage of his vulnerabilities.

Arias had no right to slaughter Travis Alexander - I hope that the jury is "seeing" that right now. Nurmi asked the question to the jury "why didn't Arias just shoot Travis Alexander when he was sleeping." According to Arias - she did shoot him, and, he kept coming after her. Common sense would have to make these jury members realize that even if you believe Arias - once she shot Travis Alexander in the head he is no longer a threat, and, Arias could have fled to safety & called 911. In fact, fleeing for safety after shooting someone in the head seems as though it would be a lot easier than stabbing a person 29 times, slicing their throat, dragging them back to the shower, stuffing their body back into the shower, cleaning the body, cleaning the crime scene, doing a load of laundry to remove evidence, putting that load in the dryer, putting another load of laundry in the washer to remove evidence, cleaning the stair banister, removing murder weapons & self from home working hard not to leave self incriminating evidence behind, driving 10 hours to West Jordan, Utah.

After being so fearful for her life - you would think that Arias would not have the energy to drive 10 hours - wash blood off her hands - get rid of the gun and knife.

Arias' self defense story makes no sense - I hope that the jury can "see" this too and returns a murder 1 guilty verdict.

I hope I don't come off as being disrespectful. I am having a hard time understanding this new schedule. From what I just heard the jury has said " Until a verdict is reached" They are not sequestered, it's taken days to get in 13 1/2 hours. The more time that goes by, the more risk of some Juror mishap, disqualification etc.

This upsets me. Why is is so wrong to sequester them and urge a verdict? What do they get? 5 hours each day incl. Breaks,lunch?
I don't want them to feel pressure, but I think the Judge could have come up with a better solution if sequester was not an option.

Yes, I feel stressed waiting and listening to THs say this Jury has holdouts. Nobody can really know that..:banghead:

No excuse for starting later and leaving at 4:30 for PETES sake none are working so why not extend deliberation hours. Don't they realise what were going thru over here.:banghead::banghead:

Wild About Trial‏@WildAboutTrial2m
Juan just headed back into the door where the jurors go. Blue shirt and blue tie. Was smiling amd in a good mood. #JodiArias

ETA: I think Wild just misspoke earlier. Juan just went in the general door not THE exact door the jury is in. Maybe Juan is just in the courtoom. We need Beth K. on this!!!!

Beth Karas's twitter is active now.
"Martinez just went in the side door to the courtroom or chambers"

Surely there are jurors who were into the CA case. I'm betting they are taking their time in order to avoid being compared to the Pinellas 12.

I don't know, as another poster pointed out they seem to find these people who don't watch tv, read news, etc.. Like they said, I would not want someone like that on a jury if I was in that position, God forbid.

wild about trial clarification:
"it was the door jurors go into. Not sure what its like back in there though"
So he saw people (Valerie & JM) going thru this door that the jurors go thru.

FWIW, info from a quick search on Arizona law and victim impact statements:

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Crime_Victims/victimRights/

Crime Victims’ Bill of Rights

ARIZONA CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS FOR CRIME VICTIMS
ARTICLE II, SECTION 2.1, VICTIMS’ BILL OF RIGHTS

A. To preserve and protect victims' rights to justice and due process, a victim of crime has a right:

1. To be treated with fairness, respect and dignity, and to be free from intimidation, harassment or abuse, throughout the criminal justice process.
2. To be informed, upon request, when the accused or convicted person is released from custody or has escaped.
3. To be present at and, upon request, to be informed of all criminal proceedings when the defendant has the right to be present.
4. To be heard at any proceeding involving a post-arrest release decision, a negotiated plea and sentencing.
5. To refuse an interview, deposition or other discovery request by the defendant, the defendant's attorney, or other person acting on behalf of the defendant.
6. To confer with the prosecution, after the crime against the victim has been charged, before trial or before any disposition of the case and to be informed of the disposition.
7. To read pre sentence reports relating to the crime against the victim when they are available to the defendant.
8. To receive prompt restitution from the person or persons convicted of the criminal conduct that caused the victim's loss or injury.
9. To be heard at any proceeding when any post-conviction release from confinement is being considered.
10. To a speedy trial or disposition and prompt and final conclusion of the case after the conviction and sentence.
11. To have all rules governing criminal procedure and the admissibility of evidence in all criminal proceedings protect victims' rights and to have these rules be subject to amendment or repeal by the legislature to ensure the protection of these rights.
12. To be informed of victims' constitutional rights.

I"ll have to do more research with respect to the motion to disclose victims impact statement. Don't know if the BBM above applies.

IMO, the DT are trying to get around that particular law. And, with a judge who seems to allow them anything they desire, IMO, I hope Martinez can quash that motion swiftly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ouisie