Verdict watch! ** GUILTY **

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This worries me that they have been deliberating for 4 days. I think they think he isn't Schizophrenic but has a personality disorder but his level of planning seems to contradict mental illness. Oh I hope they decide soon. It must be hell for Jun Lin's family.

Well unfortunately the jury didn't get the full force of the pre planning with that trailer video. But the things he did in the aftermath should be a no brainer. :sigh:

MOO

Quick question; was it ever confirmed how that Toronto law office knew where the head was?

True! Paul Bernardo and Clifford Olsen asked for parole and were both told a resounding NO!

-------------------------

:jail:

Are you certain about that? Bernardo and Olsen both received Dangerous Offender status if memory serves me correctly. I thought first degree murder carried a mandatory 25 years with no chance of parole? To hold them indefinitely I believe there has to be multiple violent acts, then an application for dangerous offender status.

Am I mistaken here?

Quick question; was it ever confirmed how that Toronto law office knew where the head was?

It appears that he told his original lawyer, who did the ethical thing and emailed the Montreal police as to where to find it and then resigned from the case. At least that's what I got out of it.

MOO

Are you certain about that? Bernardo and Olsen both received Dangerous Offender status if memory serves me correctly. I thought first degree murder carried a mandatory 25 years with no chance of parole? To hold them indefinitely I believe there has to be multiple violent acts, then an application for dangerous offender status.

Am I mistaken here?

First degree murder carries a LIFE sentence with the possibility for parole after 25 years. There is no guarantee of parole. Life is...well life.

Life Sentences and Section 745.6 of the Criminal Code. In Canada, murder is either first or second degree. Persons convicted of either must be sentenced to imprisonment for life. Generally, persons convicted of first-degree murder are not eligible for parole until they have served at least 25 years of their sentence.

While a life sentence does not necessarily mean life imprisonment, it does mean that the sentence continues for the rest of the person's life. If the person is released on parole, the parole period never ends during that person's life. The offender must still follow the terms and conditions of release imposed by the parole board and can be sent back to prison if those conditions are broken.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/cj-jp/victim/guide/secm.html

This worries me that they have been deliberating for 4 days. I think they think he isn't Schizophrenic but has a personality disorder but his level of planning seems to contradict mental illness. Oh I hope they decide soon. It must be hell for Jun Lin's family.

I was on Jury Service for a case that was extremely minor in comparison to this (thank God), and the deliberations took nearly a day for that. I don't think being on day 4 is anything to panic about in a case as complex and horrific as this.

Having said that, I was hoping it would be wrapped up today and Jun's father could get back to his family. I simply cannot imagine the turmoil Jun's family are going through now.

I still stand by my belief of a returned guilty verdict, I just can't comprehend how the jury could come to any other conclusion with the evidence that they have been presented with.

A curious thought ... I wonder how Luc Leclair would feel at a NCR verdict? I imagine he is not expecting this outcome at all.

Am I mistaken here?

I certainly could be wrong here. Yes, I know about the Dangerous Offender status.......but something tells me that I read recently that Bernardo is able to ask for release very soon.......even though he knows he's in for life. But Lord knows........I really could be incorrect........:blush:

PS. Maybe Manny told me this!! :lol:

Shuyee Lee just tweeted me and confirmed that the jury are expected to deliberate over the weekend if they do not reach a verdict today.

Just to follow up on parole after 25 years, one thing we have to realize is that LM has no support. No family, no one. So to release him after 25 years with nowhere to go, no education or job skills and expect him to conform to society, take his meds and not get into trouble would be ludicrous. Not sure he'd be able to win over a majority on a parole board at that time.

MOO

A curious thought ... I wonder how Luc Leclair would feel at a NCR verdict? I imagine he is not expecting this outcome at all.

Actually, I think he is. I think Luc LeClair has at least one personality disorder of his own. :D

MOO

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 16m16 minutes ago
Guessing the jury is back at it. Courtroom not open yet. #Magnotta

salimah shivji ‏@salimah_shivji 2h2 hours ago

#Magnotta jury is on break. Day 4 is half over with no sign or envelope from the jury. #cbcmtl

DANGEROUS OFFENDERS = "NO CHANCE OF FULL PAROLE":

(I just had to look this up!) :)

http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/cntrng-crm/crrctns/protctn-gnst-hgh-rsk-ffndrs/faq-eng.aspx

Please scroll down in the link......:thinking:

We must remember that people who are not convicted of murder have also been designated as dangerous offenders, in fact there are likely a lot more dangerous offenders than you think. These are people who have been convicted of violent and/or sexual crimes usually, but the crime did not result in death.

These people don't have LIFE sentences so they do have a mandatory release date.

MOO

Well the Jury at least sussed that one out - none of them said hello to him or smiled :laughing:

In response to Kamille - "Actually, I think he is. I think Luc LeClair has at least one personality disorder of his own."

Shuyee Lee ‏@sleeCJAD · 4m4 minutes ago
Judge says he wants to discuss something else. Wants to clarify the noise in the hallway issue. #Bain #Magnotta

Sounds like they're having quite a time down at the courthouse today. They're also dealing with the Quebec shooter Richard Henry Bain who needs an assessment of his own according to Judge Cournoyer. He's also been representing himself and was denied bail today. Poor Judge Cournoyer must be really looking forward to his Christmas break. First he has to deal with LeClair and now he's got a loony shooter trying to represent himself.

MOO

We must remember that people who are not convicted of murder have also been designated as dangerous offenders, in fact there are likely a lot more dangerous offenders than you think. These are people who have been convicted of violent and/or sexual crimes usually, but the crime did not result in death.

These people don't have LIFE sentences so they do have a mandatory release date.

MOO

Yes, thank you! :tyou: Prior to my retirement I worked with 'young offenders' at Syl Apps, CAMH amd many other 'institutions'. I should know all this stuff.........but the memory is fading with (dare I say it?).....age! :blushing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alblake