VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 40

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah. Five months of mystery to vent about and discuss, feeling each other out, going back to notes from the beginning. I'm glad they're not rushing.

Exactly Hope. plus picking a foreman and going over jury instructions. They might have even taken a quick poll to see where they all stand before even deliberating.

I think Laurence played real dirty today. All the trashing of Travis was just so over the top and total LIES. And then showing a picture of JA when she was a little girl and saying "could you kill her"?? Mind games > acting like they would be killing a little innocent child if they voted for the DP

see you guys tomorrow :-) I'm wondering if maybe this jury has made a decision and just wants to come back tomorrow dressed to meet the media to be interviewed???

I didn't expect one today. Hopefully, tomorrow. If not then I think that's not a good sign. JMO

Yeah, because they won't be back again to deliberate until Monday! They said normal court days/times only.

973 candles lit. Invite your friends. Let's have it 1,000 by tomorrow! Onward warriors... :)

AZL....do you know if the jury does have her testimony from guilt phase? Paul Sanders said so, but I don't remember anyone else confirming.

(Came up when JM challenged Geffy about JA's testimony relating to choking/scratching eyes. Nurmi objected to having the testimony introduced into evidence. Am thinking it makes more sense that the evidence would be limited to that specific piece of testimony....)

There's no way of knowing. Paul S. gave an exhibit #, but who knows how much of the testimony was covered in that exhibit? A full day of testimony normally results in a pretty thick transcript, and she was up there 18 days. Also, numerous exhibits may have been sent back to the jury by stipulation.

It would be very abnormal for the jury to be given a transcript of any testimony unless both sides agree. The (stupid IMO) theory is that the jury should rely on recollection and notes, because if they didn't write it down or remember it, it wasn't important.

Is someone creating a voting poll? I thought I read it on one of these threads but can't remember who was going to do it and I have a suggestion.

If you do create a poll on Life vs Death, could we include age (and/or sex) of the voter? I assume the majority of us are females, but it would be interesting to see the breakdown regardless.

TIA

I'll do it right now.

I predict they come to their verdict by 9pm and go home to sleep on it. Verdict read at 9am tomorrow!!

:seeya: The jurors have already gone home for the day. The leave @ 4:30 pm AZ time.

I hate to break it to ya, but no matter how good or bad Juan's closing was, it makes no difference. This Jury will do what it will. I still don't think she will get the DP, as much as I want her to.

I don't want to see so many who believe she should get death disappointed. Remember Caylee.

Just because we believe something, doesn't mean the jury will. :twocents:

Hi Soft!

I agree...I really don't think the closing of either Nurmi or Juan would have changed a person's leaning at this point...I'm betting most already have their mind made up, unless someone/something during deliberations can open their eyes to view something different. What closings are good for is reminding them of some of the details (OMG, especially in such a broken/disjointed trial as this one was!)

I also won't be in tears if she doesn't get the DP...I hope she does, but as others have said, she's already lost...she's going away, one way or another. Buh-bye *****!

Just think - In the "old" days, on HLN we'd get to hear about every 30 seconds for hours on end that the jury could reach a verdict AT ANY MINUTE!

They probably reached a verdict and going home to sleep on it then present it at a reasonable time tomorrow. They don't want to appear like the Casey Anthony jury. :) :) Of course they could delay, delay, delay like this retrial has done to them.:gathering:

I have a couple of questions since I'm not too well versed in how the jury works...

I know that there are rules that apply, but is it possible that they could go home and research the case how we've seen it go down? Are they monitored in some way that prevents them from doing so? Or is it soley based on integrity?

Since it is a DP case, I can't help but wonder if some of them may research it more, so that they could live with their decision...

I'll do it right now.

Thanks, Daisy. Can you make the poll so you have the ability to add your name "if you want" but an option to remain anonymous? We want to at least make sure we get a male/female, age, and vote. Don't want to scare anyone off by posting their name if they don't want that on here.

I think it's a good sign they are going home, and sleeping on it :) A DP verdict should be a difficult decision . I still have hope it'll come back with that verdict ~wishful thinking~

I don't. It could mean like with other juries they decided and they are going to sleep on it.

Same here, it would be quick(er) if they all decided on life, the lessor of available punishment and nothing to sleep on, all agreeing on DP will be the lengthier deliberation, I think.

I don't. It could mean like with other juries they decided and they are going to sleep on it.

There was also a lot for them to get off their chest. There are 12 people in that room that have been waiting 5 months to talk about what they have seen and heard.

I have a couple of questions since I'm not too well versed in how the jury works...

I know that there are rules that apply, but is it possible that they could go home and research the case how we've seen it go down? Are they monitored in some way that prevents them from doing so? Or is it soley based on integrity?

Since it is a DP case, I can't help but wonder if some of them may research it more, so that they could live with their decision.

No can do! Not allowed. Not even those two alternates. I'm confident they are not permitted to research anything or read newspaper or any type of media where they would come across trial related material until the trial is over. Alternates have to follow same guidelines in case someone can no longer finish their duty as a deliberating juror or if a juror gets tossed off.

Holy hockey hocks, Nurmi certainly has taken "new lows" to new highs, hasn't he? I sat here reading this morning with that patented Jenny Hutt "open-mouthed, deer-in-the-headlights" look of utter shock and awe. I know I said earlier this morning I was hoping for Death but prepared for a Life sentence, but after Nurmi's revolting display in court this morning I am solidly back on the JA Death Train! Every bit as much now as when I first read JA's letter to the Alexander family complaining about her damn bloody toe nails.

And in keeping with Juan's "Apollo" theme from yesterday, Nurmi sure went to the moon and back to demonstrate just how utterly vile and disgusting he is to continue victim-bashing after having looked the jury in their collective eyes and telling them: "No one on the defense team said Alexander was a bad guy". Note to Nurmi: umm... yes, you did. As did your "expert" witnesses with 90+ total years of experience. I guess what Nurmi meant to tell the jury was, "No one on the defense team said Alexander was a bad guy... until NOW!"

I figured this jury would be swayed by whoever had the last word in this trial. Sort of like in football where the team that wins a close game is usually the team that has the ball last, but I swear for every solid catch by Nurmi, there's a pathetic fumble. I only hope and pray this jury doesn't fumble now and let the Alexander family down.

And in keeping with the football theme (and showing my age w/ a Hank Stram reference)... let's matriculate this deliberation down the field and score a touchdown on a 65 Toss Power Trap!

Since it is a DP case, I can't help but wonder if some of them may research it more, so that they could live with their decision...

I pray they don't! That would/could cause a mistrial and that is one thing nobody wants to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member