VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Retrial Day 41

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, I wont begin to worry unless the jury takes till Wednesday of next week is when I will start to wonder about it.

I figure they will have 1 or 2 jurors that will need convincing so it may take a couple days for the majority of them to convince the 1 or 2 that are struggling with signing a DP form.

If they come back with a Life sentence, I will be ok with that as well. It is what it is.

The only thing I will really be upset about is if they cant reach a decision and hang. That will be upsetting because I dont want to see this jury hang.

Even if that does happen, I am pretty sure judge will give her life sentence.
So, it seems no matter what happens, we should be ok.

I can pretty much guarantee that there will be a verdict this morning. Since I will be gone, I'm pretty sure it will happen! :giggle:

Oh and you're welcome! :)

I'm here and waiting with ya'll. I have subscribed to a text alert so I can rush up to the house when it's verdict time! I'm glad this day is here, but I am sad that this case I've been following for 3 years is at an end. I am going to miss everyone on here! I do read other cases on here, but I rarely see the same posters on those cases. I feel like a favorite TV show is ending. It's like Sons of Anarchy is ending again…so sad.

JA was unwilling to allocute in an emptied courtroom, citing fear of her testimony attracting dangerous people. So I guess we won't be seeing any post-verdict interviews this time. Right?

I'll take that bet!

JA was unwilling to allocute in an emptied courtroom, citing fear of her testimony attracting dangerous people. So I guess we won't be seeing any post-verdict interviews this time. Right?

50 Shades of Cray

http://www.examiner.com/article/jod...izes-killer-s-50-shades-of-cray-defense-rests

Which expert made the best case? That will be up to the jury to decide. Does she have PTSD? Does she have Borderline Personality Disorder? Or are those two comorbid illnesses just many of the 50 shades of cray that frame this killer as a danger to society?

It is not being disputed by anyone that this convicted killer has a long list of mental health problems. What is being disputed is what caused those mental health problems. Why is this important?

It’s not whether or not Jodi has mental illness, it is how those mental illnesses are being perceived by the jury. That is the only thing that matters. Did Jodi Arias kill Travis Alexander in an impulsive rage that was a symptom of her borderline personality? Or because she was cowering in his shadow one day in self defense from a trigger of one of his abuse episodes?

I cut and pasted tweets yesterday as Nurmi did his closing -trashing. A day later, looking at that document, calmer, as the jury likely was listening, a couple major points leap out.

1. Nurmi essentially conceded the jury won't find either Geffner and MF credible. (Paraphrasing- "yes, you can dismiss expert testimony...because the "key" lies elsewhere).

2. He knows the jury WILL find DeMarte credible. The best he could do to diminish DeMarte is to say her failure to say good morning to him equals bias. That's doesn't even meet the bar for pathetic.

3. The "key" he wants the jury to find is at the end of a chain of twisted "diagnostic impressions": Travis was in denial about the abuse he experienced as a child, his inability to deal with the truth meant he lived a double life, and the bad Travis was an abusive pedophile

Nurmi's "key" is residual doubt...that some unsaid thing Travis did caused JA to snap between sex and shower. That's why he lied about Travis inviting JA on June 4. Nurmi wasn't allowed to be any more specific because he's not allowed to argue residual doubt- that the first jury got it wrong, and that she did not premeditate the murder. But mitigator 6 is essentially the snapped, heat of passion lie.

So that's Nurmi's "key."

I'm here and waiting with ya'll. I have subscribed to a text alert so I can rush up to the house when it's verdict time! I'm glad this day is here, but I am sad that this case I've been following for 3 years is at an end. I am going to miss everyone on here! I do read other cases on here, but I rarely see the same posters on those cases. I feel like a favorite TV show is ending. It's like Sons of Anarchy is ending again…so sad.

:)
Me too. I enjoy this group we have here. We have all suffered through this for a long time.

We have a large number of people in this case and we acquired a lot of newcomers along the way which is great to see the interest.

I have enjoyed reading everyones opinions.

TV COVERAGE:
Im not 100% sure, but I think I read earlier that HLN should also break in to their coverage to show us the verdict so I am going to flip on HLN when we get the news it is coming.

In less than three hours, a Texas jury found Eddie Ray Routh guilty of capital murder in the deaths of Chris Kyle and Chad Littlefield.

After 16 1/2 hours, jurors found George Zimmerman not guilty of second-degree murder in the death of Trayvon Martin.

Jurors took nearly 15 hours to find Jodi Arias guilty of first-degree murder in the death of her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander.

Casey Anthony was acquitted of first-degree murder in the death of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee. The jury deliberated 10 hours and 40 minutes.

Jerry Sandusky was found guilty of 45 of 48 counts of child sex abuse after a jury deliberated for more than 20 hours over two days.

After almost 14 hours, jurors found Drew Peterson guilty in the death of fourth wife, Kathleen Savio.

The jury in the Conrad Murray trial found him guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the death of Michael Jackson after about nine hours of jury deliberations.

In 1995, O.J. Simpson was acquitted of two counts of murder in the deaths of his wife, Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman. Jurors deliberated for less than four hours.

Jurors from the second Phil Spector trial deliberated for 30 hours and convicted him of second-degree murder in the death of Lana Clarkson.

After 35 hours of deliberations, stretched out over nine days, jurors acquitted Robert Blake of first-degree murder in his wife's death.

Scott Peterson was convicted of first-degree and second-degree murder for killing his wife and their unborn child. The jury deliberated for seven days.

After four days of deliberations, the Menendez brothers were convicted of two counts of first-degree murder for killing their parents.

Steven Hayes was convicted of capital murder in the deaths of three members of the Petit family. The jury deliberated four hours.

Source: http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2013/03/19/jodi-arias-trial-famous-trial-deliberation-times

Original jury: 8 men, 4 women.
Retrial jury: 8 women, 4 men.

Original trial, hung jury, final holdouts for life: 3 men and 1 woman

Good Morning all. Hope, thanks for posting this. I don't know why I didn't know that there were 3 men that voted for life, other than the foreman. Wow.

In less than three hours, a Texas jury found Eddie Ray Routh guilty of capital murder in the deaths of Chris Kyle and Chad Littlefield.

After 16 1/2 hours, jurors found George Zimmerman not guilty of second-degree murder in the death of Trayvon Martin.

Jurors took nearly 15 hours to find Jodi Arias guilty of first-degree murder in the death of her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander.

Casey Anthony was acquitted of first-degree murder in the death of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee. The jury deliberated 10 hours and 40 minutes.

Jerry Sandusky was found guilty of 45 of 48 counts of child sex abuse after a jury deliberated for more than 20 hours over two days.

After almost 14 hours, jurors found Drew Peterson guilty in the death of fourth wife, Kathleen Savio.

The jury in the Conrad Murray trial found him guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the death of Michael Jackson after about nine hours of jury deliberations.

In 1995, O.J. Simpson was acquitted of two counts of murder in the deaths of his wife, Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman. Jurors deliberated for less than four hours.

Jurors from the second Phil Spector trial deliberated for 30 hours and convicted him of second-degree murder in the death of Lana Clarkson.

After 35 hours of deliberations, stretched out over nine days, jurors acquitted Robert Blake of first-degree murder in his wife's death.

Scott Peterson was convicted of first-degree and second-degree murder for killing his wife and their unborn child. The jury deliberated for seven days.

After four days of deliberations, the Menendez brothers were convicted of two counts of first-degree murder for killing their parents.

Steven Hayes was convicted of capital murder in the deaths of three members of the Petit family. The jury deliberated four hours.

Source: http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2013/03/19/jodi-arias-trial-famous-trial-deliberation-times

Thank you. This is so interesting.

During verdict watch for the DP are defendants under suicide watch??

For me it was the end of Friday Night Lights, because I loved every character. Any upcoming trial-watching suggestions? Someone mentioned one in Maricopa County about a mother torturing and killing her young child. Ugh, not for me, unless JM is prosecuting. There hasn't been a day I've regretted missing the Casey Anthony trial, seeing how traumatic that trial was for so many here. The Oscar Pistorius verdict was very disappointing, but not traumatizing. Other live-stream trial suggestions?

Good Morning all. Hope, thanks for posting this. I don't know why I didn't know that there were 3 men that voted for life, other than the foreman. Wow.

Three of the lifers were initially for death. The foreman convinced them to vote for life. I think there were three men including the foreman and one woman.

I cut and pasted tweets yesterday as Nurmi did his closing -trashing. A day later, looking at that document, calmer, as the jury likely was listening, a couple major points leap out.

1. Nurmi essentially conceded the jury won't find either Geffner and MF credible. (Paraphrasing- "yes, you can dismiss expert testimony...because the "key" lies elsewhere).

2. He knows the jury WILL find DeMarte credible. The best he could do to diminish DeMarte is to say her failure to say good morning to him equals bias. That's doesn't even meet the bar for pathetic.

3. The "key" he wants the jury to find is at the end of a chain of twisted "diagnostic impressions": Travis was in denial about the abuse he experienced as a child, his inability to deal with the truth meant he lived a double life, and the bad Travis was an abusive pedophile

Nurmi's "key" is residual doubt...that some unsaid thing Travis did caused JA to snap between sex and shower. That's why he lied about Travis inviting JA on June 4. Nurmi wasn't allowed to be any more specific because he's not allowed to argue residual doubt- that the first jury got it wrong, and that she did not premeditate the murder. But mitigator 6 is essentially the snapped, heat of passion lie.

So that's Nurmi's "key."

Nurmi's "Key" added up to nothing more than a "key to death row".

If I was a prosecuter, I would take a huge note of this above.

This is very important for prosecuters to realize that Juries don't take long, so you cannot expect them to review all your evidence documents during deliberations.

They just dont take time to request to see lab reports or detailed reports you bring up in trial. Any evidence you show them had better be stuff they remember in their head only or notes they took.

Let me give a good example. In the CA trial, there were tons of lab result testimony from prosecuters. There were days and days of it. Look at how long the jury deliberated. There is no way they even looked at hardly any of the real documents that were submitted as evidence. They just deliberate based on what they remember in their heads mostly or notes they personally took.

So if I was a prosecuter, I would concentrate on something that the jury will remember in their minds only. Make them memorize something important during the trial.

http://youtu.be/bTyP9QqaxL8
Barely audible through his tears, Steven ends his remarks saying "One day I hope to make him proud". I think the whole world wanted to give him a hug and never let go and assure him that TRAVIS is proud of him, as are we all.

It is for these reasons I want the DP for JA. I don't care if she's never actually executed, I just want her to live her life in isolation to really pay for her crime, her farce of a trial, for showing absolutely zero remorse and for the living Hell she's put the Alexander family through.

Should Jodi be sentenced to Life, does anyone know what conditions listed above will apply to her during her two-to-five year probationary period? Hopefully all. "TIA" in advance.

those are my exact reasons as well!

:seeya:
Morning!

This jury had to sit through way more testimony than they ever expected to hear and spent many idle days wondering why there were so many blank days. I understand why they decided to only deliberate four days a week. Since October, they have organized their lives around this trial.

From what we learned of the closings through tweets, both sides asked them to examine the evidence. They had much less exposure and different exposure to the evidence than the original jury. In order to determine mitigators, they need to decide who was telling the truth. They need to decide if Jodi did indeed fabricate all the e-mails from Travis. They have to examine all the evidence available to them, not to decide guilt, but to decide if she lives or dies.

I'm willing to wait as long as it takes this jury to come to understand what is truth and what are lies. While waiting may not be fun for us, it will be agony for Jodi. That's okay with me.

BBM. Agree, that is the first order of business. I joked the other day that the only mitagators that can be taken as fact are her age & no prior criminal history. THB, given her history of lying I wouldn't take those as fact!!!

It's hard for me to imagine that they believe anything the DT put forth. Juan very effectively showed how much the jury was lied to, and ALL of the mitagators were based on these lies. without DV and pedo/*advertiser censored* there is no basis for the mitigators.

I will be completely astounded if the jury doesn't get this FACT.

Yea, I wont begin to worry unless the jury takes till Wednesday of next week is when I will start to wonder about it.

I figure they will have 1 or 2 jurors that will need convincing so it may take a couple days for the majority of them to convince the 1 or 2 that are struggling with signing a DP form.

If they come back with a Life sentence, I will be ok with that as well. It is what it is.

The only thing I will really be upset about is if they cant reach a decision and hang. That will be upsetting because I dont want to see this jury hang.

Even if that does happen, I am pretty sure judge will give her life sentence.
So, it seems no matter what happens, we should be ok.

I won't mind if they deadlock because that would mean that some jurors definitely, unwaveringly, felt that she deserves the death penalty. This is the only reason I've been able to tolerate the retrial at all. Those who felt she deserved death were not persuaded.

I'm eager to hear what they have to say afterward. I hope they'll do media interviews after they have a chance to read all about the trial and get a perspective on the DT shenanigans.

I haven't had a chance to read through all posts from the last two days yet, but I just came across the JA is innocent website and am so disgusted with the second sentence. Have you read it?[/QUOTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member