VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Retrial Day 43, Part 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the jurors who don't want to give JA the DP lied .. they just don't think that's the right sentence after hearing all the evidence.

Did you just say that out loud. Lol. I dont know why they just dont say life. I wonder if they are just taking advantage of the catered food and missing work and the attention they receive by being on the jury.

Okay, I'm not sure how to put this so I make sense but here goes anyway. I am against the DP. But, I am not going to make up reasons why she should not get the DP. I am on here, Wonderful Websleuths, following this DP Retrial for Sentencing. That's what this is. She was already found guilty of Premeditated Murder, right. It was long ago decided that this was/is a DP trial and at this point DP Retrial for Sentencing. Whether it should be a DP trial is a moot point ....so that is why I am not arguing against whether she should get DP or not. I am trying to follow this and be as objective as I can. According to Law, JA committed Premeditated murder. There is no question about the Premeditation. It was not spontaneous. TA's death was not an accident. So...I'm not going to say "burn the witch" but if the Jury can find their way out of the fog created by the Defense, look at the evidence and not see JA as "this girl, that girl" basically not a "girl" at all and see her for what she is: A convicted Murderer that committed a Premeditated Murder AND they toss the unproven "p" accusations - their vote should be DP. I don't like it but I will never be in their position. At jury selection I would have said that I was against the DP..But these Jurors didn't say that and here they are. Boy oh my oh gee that was a lot of rambling wasn't it and still not sure if I got to any point...

lilyet,
So sorry you and your son are struggling ((((hugs)))))! Sending warm beams of healing light your way!

(IANAL translation I am not a lawyer)
but I think AZL answered this awhile ago. IIRC she said the State cannot ask for a mistrial because they will not try this case again. Nurmi wanted a mistrial so that the DP can be taken off the table (due to no redoing the sentencing trial). But gotta give it to Nurmi (IMO) he gave Jodi everything she ever wanted, he managed to get a few hours for her to testify in secret, he managed to coerce JSS into the secret trial from h*!! (IMO), and he continues even in the 11th hour to file or make a motion for mistrial. He has used every underhanded dirty trick possible and he forced the State to break up and confuse the jurors with stop/start, witnesses out of order, secret affidavits from nicknamed people who "have one and use it".

I don't believe any other judge would have allowed Nurmi to do what he did. JA and her posse hit the jackpot with Sherry....a match made in hell

I'm bothered by this. They were allowed to change mitigating factors and defense during this penalty phase.

Yes, disturbing. She didn't have BPD at all according to them, in the first phase. Then, Ouala, she suddenly had BPD and it became her primary mitigating factor in this phase. Grrrr, I've had enough tonight.
:offtobed:

All for AZ changing the law to majority decides the sentence. Majority of jurors in death sentencings. No more retrials!

jmo

I don't believe any other judge would have allowed Nurmi to do what he did. JA and her posse hit the jackpot with Sherry....a match made in hell

I said earlier today if this case had been assigned to a different judge, this jury would most likely already reached a verdict. I completely agree with you.

Well everyone, it ain't over till it's over. (just love Yogi :) )
So, I'm going to only think positive thoughts because right now, she could very well get the DP. The odds are 50/50 as of this moment.
I am one of those who could not sit in judgement of others...never have been a DP proponent...but based on the law of the State of Arizona, IMO, JA should most certainly be put on Death Row.

First of all, Lilyet, I know nothing of your situation (newbie here) other than your son is in the hospital and you are staying there at his bedside. I am a mother to a son, so my heart is with you and I hope he is well on his way to health.

Second, I said it this afternoon and I'll say it again: I believe there is just one juror who is internally conflicted about the death penalty. I have tried to elaborate on this and keep deleting what I've written because really, I'm babbling. It's all been said. This jury knew that she premeditated this murder, drove 1,000 miles with this plan in place, executing it step by step, and followed through with it in a brutal overkill manner. This deadlock HAS to be due to someone realizing they cannot sentence someone to death, it just isn't in them to do it.

There needs to be something in between solitary confinement and general population.

BBM ~ Because he did not get the last word in, Nurmi did. The sentencing was all about JA and why her life should be spared. Unfortunately, as much as we wanted to, this trial was not really about TA. And, that's why I get frustrated with the justice system. Criminals get more rights than the victims.

JMO

BBM- theoretically, that's what This trial was supposed to be. Alas, with sherry at helm the trial descended into insanity. What i saw was victim trashing and a murder victim put on trial for watching( maybe) A few minute clip of adult *advertiser censored*. In fact, i would wager my life savings that if and when trial footage is released in its entirety that at a minimum 65% of trial testimony was about the victim, travis Alexander.
In what state, country is your booty call wouldn't marry you a mitigating factor? In What state is the victim wasn't a perfect Mormon a mitigating factor. I think it's very clear the jurors are discussing the victims culpability in his own death. Those were her mitigating factors that were testified to.

I don't think the jurors who don't want to give JA the DP lied .. they just don't think that's the right sentence after hearing all the evidence.

Or rather hearing the jumbled convoluted mess of evidence and broken testimony. We must remember that this jury isn't privy to all that we are, they weren't witness to that psychopath on the stand for 18 days. All they saw was this sorry excuse for a retrial, random computer testimony, delay upon delay, etc. It was a damn mess and I can see why they're having a hard time coming to an agreement.

It was the first jury who saw everything as a whole, that I will never understand how they could not unanimously agree to the DP.

For some reason I think it could be about mental issues of JA's. jmo

Could be anything though.

"I treated this patient with BPD and...or I've studied this disorder for a long time due to my xyz"

BPD has different symptoms. Different meds. From what I understand.

The pictures are of a decomposing, mutilated body. The eww factor of decomposition is something I would have to factor out. She killed him, but she didn't decompose him.

She deserves the DP. I could vote for it because:

• He was defenseless in the shower (those shower pictures would be facts for me) and died a horrific death - the photos of blood and the medical examiner's testimony would be enough for me.

• She clearly premeditated it.
  • She was in no danger.
  • She never reported it.
  • She lied to cover it up
  • She never told the truth about what happened.

[Snipped by me]
Imo she did "decompose him". She left his body in the shower and didn't dial 911 or call his roommates and say 'I haven't heard from Travis.... can you check on him...'.

If that happened, you would probably be charged with manslaughter (at least in Canada anyways). Being negligent does not equal to premeditation.

I live in Canada and that was part of my point, premeditation is part of intentional murder and if a state/country/whatever had the DP for murder, imo it should be an automatic penalty for all intentional murders. Any accidental killings would not rise to the DP because they are accidental, but depending on culpability(ie.negligence) some of the harsher penalties like Life may apply.

I want the death sentence to slap that smug look off her face. Jodi has manipulated everyone in her path and when they saw the monster
underneath the bleach blond hair and fake *advertiser censored* they ran. Some people saw the "real" Jodi others did not see it until it was too late.

I don't care if she gets death or LWOP but I want that smug look slapped off her face.

I agree, but imo the only thing that will wipe that smug liar's smile off her damn droopy face is the death penalty. If that doesn't do it, nothing will. She has proved herself to be beyond evil and completely devoid of any moral fiber or character, and I want her to have NO semblance of a life in prison. At all. She earned it. She brought all this on all by herself. And I say all this after a cooling off period. :)

Probably because their ears are still ringing with KN's chant of "you are killing this girl."

http://www.**************/1875906/death-penalty-for-convicted-murderer-jodi-arias/

So much for this part of the instructions...

You must not be influenced at any point in these proceedings by conjecture, passion, prejudice, public opinion or public feeling. You are not to be swayed by mere sympathy not related to the evidence presented during the penalty phase.

You must not be influenced by your personal feelings of bias or prejudice for or against the Defendant or any person involved in this case on the basis of anyone’s race, color, religion, national ancestry, gender or sexual orientation.

Probably because their ears are still ringing with KN's chant of "you are killing this girl."

http://www.**************/1875906/death-penalty-for-convicted-murderer-jodi-arias/

So much for this part of the instructions...

You must not be influenced at any point in these proceedings by conjecture, passion, prejudice, public opinion or public feeling. You are not to be swayed by mere sympathy not related to the evidence presented during the penalty phase.

You must not be influenced by your personal feelings of bias or prejudice for or against the Defendant or any person involved in this case on the basis of anyone’s race, color, religion, national ancestry, gender or sexual orientation.

The gender thing! THE GENDER THING! It's so true and so maddening!

I thought that Juan's comeback to the "this girl" thing was brilliant.

"And never, never, never give up"

churchill-v-sign.jpg

Originally Posted by Nali87:
At least now if they ever reach a verdict, the higher the chance that it will be DEATH.

Why would the DP-supporters ever agree to a Life-verdict, when standing behind their convictions would ultimatelly yield the same result: life?

Or life with possibility of parole, appeal, enactment of legislation, commutation, pardon, escape, etc.

"Just got home from Perryville, lock the front door, oh boy!

Bother me tomorrow, today I'll buy no sorrows.

Doo, doo, doo, lookin' out my back door."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member