NC NC - Vernelle Pickens, 36, Asheville, Sept 1977

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Moonwalker9

Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Demographics
Missing Age36 Years
Current Age78 Years
First NameVernelle
Middle Name--
Last NamePickens
Nickname/Alias--

SexFemale
Height5' 0" - 5' 1" (60 - 61 Inches)
Weight125 - 140 lbs
Race / EthnicityBlack / African American

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactSeptember 12, 1977
NamUs Case CreatedJune 7, 2019
Last Known Location Map
LocationAsheville, North Carolina 28801
CountyBuncombe County

Circumstances of DisappearanceVernelle Pickens returned to Asheville for two days to visit her family, and then stated she was leaving again and going to Raleigh. Family has not seen or heard from victim since then.
Physical Description
Hair ColorBlack
Head Hair Description--
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
No Information Entered
Additional Case Info

Transportation

I wonder how she was travelling, was it by car or bus?
v1
This is supposed to be the last place she was at.

There is so little I could find for Ms Pickens and felt someone should be talking about her.
Here is the synopsis:

“Vernelle Pickens returned to Asheville for two days to visit her family, and then stated she was leaving again and going to Raleigh. Family has not seen or heard from victim since then.”

I cannot find any pictures of her to try and match her description to a possible unidentified. I’m including the link to Websleuths that talks about her but no real leads. Additionally, I’m providing the link go 2 Namus cases, 1 for Ms Pickens and 1 for an unidentified that is similar.

NC - NC - Vernelle Pickens, 36, Asheville, Sept 1977

Namus for Vernelle Pickens

Namus for Unidentified

Comparisons:
Pickens left Asheville to head towards Raleigh on September 12th
Asheville is 4 hours from Fayetteville
Fayetteville is 1 hour from Raleigh
Height 5’0 - 5’1
Weight 125-140
Age 36

Unidentified female was located in Fayetteville in a grave near Pine Forest High School on September 15th
Height 4’11
Weight 130
Age 30-40

I know its a stretch especially when the deceased estimated timeframe of death is 6 weeks but wonder if they could be the same person and if the date of Vernelle last seen is incorrect?

Thanks for reading. Please let me know if you find anything more on Vernelle. I’m sure her family has been looking for her but I’m not able go find anything on her. There is more of a description of the deceased then of her. :(

There is so little I could find for Ms Pickens and felt someone should be talking about her.
Here is the synopsis:

“Vernelle Pickens returned to Asheville for two days to visit her family, and then stated she was leaving again and going to Raleigh. Family has not seen or heard from victim since then.”

I cannot find any pictures of her to try and match her description to a possible unidentified. I’m including the link to Websleuths that talks about her but no real leads. Additionally, I’m providing the link go 2 Namus cases, 1 for Ms Pickens and 1 for an unidentified that is similar.

NC - NC - Vernelle Pickens, 36, Asheville, Sept 1977

Namus for Vernelle Pickens

Namus for Unidentified

Comparisons:
Pickens left Asheville to head towards Raleigh on September 12th
Asheville is 4 hours from Fayetteville
Fayetteville is 1 hour from Raleigh
Height 5’0 - 5’1
Weight 125-140
Age 36

Unidentified female was located in Fayetteville in a grave near Pine Forest High School on September 15th
Height 4’11
Weight 130
Age 30-40

I know its a stretch especially when the deceased estimated timeframe of death is 6 weeks but wonder if they could be the same person and if the date of Vernelle last seen is incorrect?

Thanks for reading. Please let me know if you find anything more on Vernelle. I’m sure her family has been looking for her but I’m not able go find anything on her. There is more of a description of the deceased then of her. :(

I don't think that could be Vernelle, sadly. If she was last seen on September 12th, she had only been out of prison for 2 days. She was arrested and sentenced to five years for selling controlled substances. She served 3 years. Unfortunately, with those circumstances, and that she'd only been out of jail for a little over 48 hours, I'm wondering if whomever she was selling for prior to arrest found out she was out.

PICKENS, VERNELLE PICKENS Inmate 0323220: North Carolina Prisons (DOC)

Yeah, looking more into this and getting a subscription to newspapers.com I agree she's likely not a match with the lady found in Fayetteville. Very possible about the Newton Grove one you posted. Are you pursing this and will submit as a potential match? I think someone should look into it.

Yeah, looking more into this and getting a subscription to newspapers.com I agree she's likely not a match with the lady found in Fayetteville. Very possible about the Newton Grove one you posted. Are you pursing this and will submit as a potential match? I think someone should look into it.

I have not submitted it yet. I honestly just saw this case get some traction on Reddit and came to find this forum, and realized you had posted the same day! I'm hardly on here, and when I am, I don't feel like I'm offering much new. But, this case stands out to me, and this feels very solvable. I'll definitely send in the tip re: Newton Grove; especially since it's on the way to Raleigh from Ashville.

I have not submitted it yet. I honestly just saw this case get some traction on Reddit and came to find this forum, and realized you had posted the same day! I'm hardly on here, and when I am, I don't feel like I'm offering much new. But, this case stands out to me, and this feels very solvable. I'll definitely send in the tip re: Newton Grove; especially since it's on the way to Raleigh from Ashville.

That's great! I initially posted on Reddit yesterday and took me 3 tries to get it past their rules! LOL

Well worth it, keep us updated. I live in Fayetteville now so that's what drew me to that particular Namus.

Any updates? Have you heard back? Her NAMUS hasn't been updated with any information.:(

I just came on here to suggest Newton Grove Jane Doe but it looks like it’s already been looked at! I hope we get some traction soon!

Did you ever get a reply?

Any updates? Have you heard back? Her NAMUS hasn't been updated with any information.:(
A family member has been trying for years to get her mothers photo and identifiable details into NAMUS. I am working with her now.

It appears the the detective assigned to this case, detective Taylor, retired from the department coming on 9-10 years ago. That being said, I have received an update from the current sheriff that Detective Taylor although retired, still works the cold cases for this department. I’m not sure if that means there’s a cold case department or they just gave him those cases to review. If anyone can find any info let me know!

Question, seeing as Vernelle was previously incarcerated, do they have dentals? I know they do fingerprints but do they obtain dna and/or dental records?

If anyone knows this information please let me know!

Also if there any any rules outs please let me know as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back