VT VT - Brianna Maitland, 17, Montgomery, 19 March 2004

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Littledeer,

Brianna will be 22 Oct 8th of this year. Yes, LE have been updating us every couple weeks. Brianna probably would not have locked her car doors. Several people have brought up the idea that someone could have been in the back seat of her car. It was very cold the night she disappeared, and some people feel the windows would have been fogged up if someone had hid in her car for any period of time(Personally, I am unsure). If this were the case then do you feel that someone would have followed behind her in another car? At gunpoint Brianna may have followed instruction, but there wasn't really any place to go out in the cold night. There is one house that is sort of close to the barn, the people were questioned as soon as we realized she was missing. At first the couple said that there was one night that they heard a man's voice hollaring, and looking back they thought it could have been the night of Brianna's accident. Later, when questioned they changed their minds. Brianna had a boyfriend that lived within walking distance of the place where her car was found. He has been questioned. I don't think Brianna would have taken the time to change seeing she just wanted to go home. Other people that worked at the Inn that night stayed after closing to eat (which we found out is what they usually did). Brianna told them that she wasn't feeling well and didn't want to stay late and eat that night. Besides the jeans being found there has not been any other new information.

Thank You for your questions,

Bringbrihome

Because the car was backed into the abandoned house, it would indicate to me there was struggle at that point. I think she put the car in reverse and stepped on the gas in an effort to get away. To me, it would indicate the person was in the car with her.

Did they ever determine who the fleece jacket belonged to?

Maitland's parents did find a woman's fleece jacket near where the car was found. They gave it to police, who identified it belonging to a different woman. They're not saying whether it's linked to the disappearance, however.
http://www.wptz.com/news/2956776/detail.html

Yes, the coat actually had indentification in the pocket. The woman was a skier from out of state. She has been questioned, but did prove that she had lost the coat after Brianna had already be taken. The coat had been left on top of her car and had fallen off when they went around the corner.

To my dearest Littledeer,:blowkiss:
Apparently Ellen was staying at a farmhouse in Berkshire prior to moving to Burlington.
In April of 2004 about a week after Brianna's disappearance, the pig farm house (Reservior road) was raided due to a tip of Brianna being in the basement.
Ramon Ryans and 3 others were arrested. Drugs, money, weaponry and other items were found.
One of the ones arrested was a 17-year-old female.
A few months after this, Ligia Collins was listed as a missing person. (July 5th) Her live-in boyfriend Ramon Ryans called police to report that she had not returned to their apartment in Burlington.
Well the 17-year-old was babysitting for Ligia for 2 days on July 2nd thru July 3rd.

In March of 2006, Ellen's sister Debbie stated to police during her son's arrest that Ellen told her about Brianna's killing and that Ellen's boyfriend Moses helped and that is why he took his own life in the Collin's case.

Ryan's left Vermont days after Robar's suicide and he was listed as a wanted person here (because of the raid in Berkshire). He was captured in NYC in May of 2005.
Ryan's took a polygraph test in regards to Brianna's disappearence and the results were inconclusive.

Brianna was living in Sheldon with a friend at the time she went missing. She was not living with her parents.

Black Lantern is in Montgomery and KJ's is here in St. Albans. (Years ago that diner was Uncle Sam's before it was renamed KJ's)

All of the above places are in Franklin County, here is a map;

Much Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

DS, do you know if there were pigs at the time at the home that was raided on the pig farm? Pigs will eat anything, including evidence.

Hello. The house that was raided did NOT have any farm animals at all. I saw the house on the Klaasskids Search ( it was our groups area for the first search)and they were still living there(the people who were found with drugs). There was a rumor early on in the investigation that involved a manure pit, but it was searched by VSP and nothing was found. I hope this helps.

Just so everyone knows, that there will be an article about New Englands Missing Children in this Sunday's Boston Globe. I am sure it can also be viewed on line. I know that the article mentions Brianna and Maura Murray. Please Read it!

((((((((hugs)))))))))

Thanks for the heads up!! I will definately have to go online to search for the article. We can link the article here for others to read!

I was thinking when you mentioned that the other workers had stayed afterwards to eat, that Bri must have been muffled right away so she couldn't scream if no one heard anything. Was anything found around or in the car? Maybe tape, a rag?

Littledeer,

There was change found on the ground and also Brianna's broken beaded necklace. Of course, I'm not positive, but I've always thought that it was tips that had fallen out of her pocket through some sort of struggle. I believe that the broken necklace is a positive sign of struggle. I just wish that the officer that had found the car would have looked a little closer then maybe he would have called the owner of the car to make sure that they were home safetly. Instead, he had the car towed off by a towing company severely damaging any potential evidence. He never called the owner of the car or we would have known Brianna was missing immediately. The first few days are just so important in a missing persons case and in Brianna's case they were lost due to his negligence. The Officer said he just felt that it was a drunk driver and that they would eventually come to the station to claim their car. It was a freezing cold night and even if it were a drunk driver, where were they? Wandering home in the cold? This is very rural area! Shouldn't they have searched for the driver? Remember, there were 2 paychecks left in the unlocked car that was lodged into the side of an abandoned house! He said that there was no sign of struggle and that this was not suspicious. Later, the VSP said Brianna was runaway and that she would come home. It seems that if you are a missing child, you are a runaway, and if you are a missing adult, you have the right to go missing. This is so disturbing to me.

There were no rags or tape that I know of.

Thank You for your questions.

Missing Brianna

Littledeer,

Brianna will be 22 Oct 8th of this year. Yes, LE have been updating us every couple weeks. Brianna probably would not have locked her car doors. Several people have brought up the idea that someone could have been in the back seat of her car. It was very cold the night she disappeared, and some people feel the windows would have been fogged up if someone had hid in her car for any period of time(Personally, I am unsure). If this were the case then do you feel that someone would have followed behind her in another car? At gunpoint Brianna may have followed instruction, but there wasn't really any place to go out in the cold night. There is one house that is sort of close to the barn, the people were questioned as soon as we realized she was missing. At first the couple said that there was one night that they heard a man's voice hollaring, and looking back they thought it could have been the night of Brianna's accident. Later, when questioned they changed their minds. Brianna had a boyfriend that lived within walking distance of the place where her car was found. He has been questioned. I don't think Brianna would have taken the time to change seeing she just wanted to go home. Other people that worked at the Inn that night stayed after closing to eat (which we found out is what they usually did). Brianna told them that she wasn't feeling well and didn't want to stay late and eat that night. Besides the jeans being found there has not been any other new information.

Thank You for your questions,

Bringbrihome

It does sounds like maybe 2 people were involved, either together or at different points. If all the windows in the car were closed, i would think it would fog up in cold temperatures. If a window was wide open and a person was in the car for a short period, it wouldn't fog up as much.
I don't think the person was waiting for her inside her car. I think maybe they were nearby and came up to her, a struggle ensued (her broken necklace and change found on the ground) and they had a gun and car jacked her up until the point where her vehicle crashed into the abandoned house/barn. If the person was right handed, i would think they would sit in the back seat hanging forward with the gun. Sitting in the front passenger seat would make them more noticeable to uncoming headlights.
At the point where the car was crashed into the house/barn, another person with a vehicle would have to be involved, either followed them, or arrived later due to a cell phone call.
Whoever it was, was aware of her work schedule and as to when she was leaving. Since she didn't stay after closing as they usually did, the culprit/s either was tipped off somehow or just waited early in case. The longer the culprit/s was out there waiting for her, the longer he/they risked being seen by someone. Is there any security cameras in the area?
Did she always park in the same spot, and would there be a chance of anyone remembering any cars that didn't belong to workers out in the lot near hers that night?
There is also the chance that a person was dropped off, carjacked her, and then the 2nd party met up with them at the crash site.

WHEN THE NATIONAL MISSING AND UNIDENTIFIED PERSONS SYSTEM becomes fully available next year, families of missing children will have more clues at their fingertips. But already they troll websites like The Doe Network and others, picking through grisly case files of unidentified human remains found across the country, looking for a match. Kellie Maitland of DeKalb Junction, New York, has stared at the morgue photographs and forensic artists' renderings of Jane Does - grotesque, wax-museumlike figures with dead eyes - searching for the face of her missing daughter, Brianna Maitland. The bestcase but least likely scenario, she says, is that Brianna "ran off or fell in love with someone and made a split decision, took off to somewhere warm and exotic and is having a good time."

Brianna, then 17, was last seen at about 11:20 p.m. on March 19, 2004, leaving the Black Lantern Inn in Montgomery, Vermont, where she was a dishwasher. The next day, her Oldsmobile Delta 88 was found a mile away backed into the side of an abandoned house, the rear bumper hung up on the concrete foundation. There were no signs of a struggle and no sign of Brianna. "The police tell me that most likely this was a homicide," says Maitland, 47, who helps her husband, Bruce, run their small Highland-Angus cattle farm. "If Brianna's alive, she won't be a teenager anymore. She'll be, like, 21. What if she's been abused? What if she needs rehab? What if? What if?"

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2008/02/03/return_to_me/?page=2

Wednesday marks the fourth anniversary of the disappearance of Brianna Maitland.

Vermont State Police said they believe that the 17-year-old was the victim of foul play. Maitland, of Sheldon Vt., vanished in 2004 after leaving her job at The Black Lantern Inn in Montgomery, Vt. Her car was found smashed into an abandoned farmhouse about a mile down the road.

Maitland's parents have offered a $20,000 reward. State Police said they are still following up leads, and remain optimistic that the case will be resolved.

http://www.wptz.com/news/15640750/detail.html?rss=pla&psp=news

I wonder if someone ran her off the road and that is how she ended up with her car turned around and stuck in that old house? Someone who did it on purpose that may have followed her from work. I wonder if LE talked to everyone that worked at her work and got names of anyone who may have been talking to or paying a lot of attention to her that night?

It's to bad that trooper didn't view the scene as a possible abduction. Who leaves their paychecks laying on the front seat....her necklace was broken. I wonder what else was scattered around on the ground? Did she have a cell phone? Were her purse and keys gone?

Four years is a long time to hold onto hope. It seems that if she was alive she would have managed to contact someone by now. Sad.

I wonder if someone ran her off the road and that is how she ended up with her car turned around and stuck in that old house? Someone who did it on purpose that may have followed her from work. I wonder if LE talked to everyone that worked at her work and got names of anyone who may have been talking to or paying a lot of attention to her that night?

It's to bad that trooper didn't view the scene as a possible abduction. Who leaves their paychecks laying on the front seat....her necklace was broken. I wonder what else was scattered around on the ground? Did she have a cell phone? Were her purse and keys gone?

Four years is a long time to hold onto hope. It seems that if she was alive she would have managed to contact someone by now. Sad.

I had thought from earlier postings that they were on a clear trail.It seemed to me with some of her friends.What happened to stop this?

I agree this is very sad and should have been solved.

STATE OF VERMONT
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
VERMONT STATE POLICE

PRESS RELEASE

INCIDENT: Missing Person / Brianna Maitland

March 18, 2008

March 19, 2008 marks the four year anniversary of the disappearance of Brianna Maitland. Brianna Maitland, then 17 years old, was last seen at her place of employment, the Black Lantern Inn, located in Montgomery, VT. Brianna reportedly left work on March 19, 2004, at approximately 11:20 pm. Brianna’s car was discovered the next day adjacent to an abandoned farmhouse, located on Vt. Route 118 in the town of Montgomery, a short distance from work. Brianna’s parents, Bruce and Kellie Maitland reported Brianna missing to the Vermont State Police on March 23, 2004.

The Vermont State Police continue to investigate the disappearance of Brianna Maitland. Over the past ten months, the Vermont State Police have dedicated Detectives to work this investigation extensively. This focus has allowed for an expanded review of this investigation. This review has been coupled with an aggressive investigative approach, which has included numerous interviews of people, many of whom had been interviewed previously. In addition, Detectives continue to follow new information and leads that have been received. The State Police will continue to explore any and all investigative avenues.

As a result, investigators believe there is a strong indication that Brianna is in fact a victim of foul play. There is no evidence at this time to indicate that Brianna willingly left the area. Despite reports early on in this investigation that Brianna’s disappearance may have been linked to “illegal drug activity”, investigators are unable to substantiate this connection. Much of this information can be attributed to rumors that have been circulated since her disappearance. The State Police remain optimistic that new information could lead to a resolution in this case.

The State Police, along with the Maitland family, cannot overemphasize the importance of anyone coming forward with information. The Maitland family continues to offer a $20,000 reward for information. This reward includes $10,000 for anyone who can identify the exact location of Brianna and $10,000 for anyone with information leading to the arrest of the person(s) responsible for her disappearance.

Anyone with information is asked to contact: Vermont State Police at (802)524-5993.

See more details regarding this case - click here
http://www.dps.state.vt.us/vtsp/missing/press_031808_maitland.html

Four Years Later, Maitland Still Missing

Enosburg Falls, Vermont - March 19, 2008

Two small candles placed on a memorial in Enosburg Falls on Wednesday night commemorated the day when 17-year-old Brianna Maitland vanished. Four years later police say they are still getting leads but have no idea what happened to Maitland
Maitland was last seen on March 19, 2004, leaving work at the Black Lantern Inn. Her car was found a day later, abandoned behind an empty building off Route 118.

8043773_BG1.jpg

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=8043773&nav=4QcR4SFu
here is the link for the rest of the story.

inquiring:

It is so sad that Brianna has not been found yet. Somebody, somewhere knows!!!!

Even if it's Brianna herself. Not that I truly believe that because I don't. (meaning that Brianna is alive)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vmaximus
Back