VT VT - Brianna Maitland, 17, Montgomery, 19 March 2004

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well we know for a fact that Brianna was trying to get her life back on track at the time of her disappearance so the logical conclusion I can draw from this is that the people involved got scared that she would talk about their activities to law enforcement so they saw her as a potential nuisance and had to find a way to shut her up permanently. And the best way to silence someone is to make that person go missing.

Agreed. I think she saw something and they were scared she would talk. I don't feel they killed her over a simple drug debt. You can't get your money if the person is dead. I feel it was for a bigger reason.

It was a while ago that I watched the tv segment about this case.
I came away from that show convinced that one of drug dealers she knew--young, African American; name escapes me--had killed her.
Wikipedia says that the charges Brianna had filed against Keallie Lacross were dropped shortly after Brianna disappeared. Do we know what their confrontation was about?

It was over a guy she was supposedly flirting with at a party. I thought it was strange that they dropped the charges so quickly.

Agreed. I think she saw something and they were scared she would talk. I don't feel they killed her over a simple drug debt. You can't get your money if the person is dead. I feel it was for a bigger reason.

The information that I have points away from the drug debt theory but for some reason it's still being thrown out there as a possible motive. I can tell you that part of the locals in that area definitely still believe that she had a drug debt or so they were told. It also doesn't help when you have one of her friends going on local TV in 2014 to say : "She owed money to the wrong person for the wrong things, that person was in her car that night".

It was over a guy she was supposedly flirting with at a party. I thought it was strange that they dropped the charges so quickly.

Apparently they couldn't proceed with the charges because they needed to have all the people involved present at the time. We know that Keallie Lacross has violent tendancies, she was arrested for home invasion and assault in an unrelated incident which happened in 2012. With that being said, I do not believe that she made Brianna go missing but there is still a very good chance that she knows exactly what happened to her.

The drug debt thing is always sort of a cop out. Killing is always a last resort, you can't collect money from a dead person. Even if it's a huge drug debt, she certainly doesn't seem like she was using or dealing on that big of a scale.

So in terms of a motive, there has to be something else.

Obviously if she was pressing charges that could land someone in jail, that seems a bit more viable to me.

The drug debt thing is always sort of a cop out. Killing is always a last resort, you can't collect money from a dead person. Even if it's a huge drug debt, she certainly doesn't seem like she was using or dealing on that big of a scale.

So in terms of a motive, there has to be something else.

Obviously if she was pressing charges that could land someone in jail, that seems a bit more viable to me.

The drug debt theory doesn't add up for many reasons, Brianna was nothing more than a recreational user who was experimenting. I believe she knew too much and the group couldn't let her move away from them.

I don't think Brianna going missing was for the drug debt either, she had one maybe two pay cheques that she could have cashed and given up
for the alleged drug debt that was left in her car.

A friend or someone she thought was her friend did this and I believe the drug debt is just a cover because it sounds plausible. MOO

Well, going back to the assault charges, she surely could have had a lot of information that could have affected a lot of people.

Possibly threatening to snitch on both the assault and possible drug activity could have angered several people...especially if word got out she was going to the police soon.

I didn't grow up in VT, but pretty close by. In my expirience there's a great mistrust of police in that area, fewer pro cop people and the communities and LE aren't always tight knit.

Could be just the general defiant New England way, or folks may have had too many brushes with bad apples, but in least in my neck of the woods, cops weren't always viewed in a positive light and neither were people who confided in them, just IMO.

Certainly if her actions placed others in jeopardy in terms of arrest/imprisonment, that alone is a pretty solid motive...probably more so than owing money for a small drug habit. Most small/medium scale dealers aren't going to be fronting a teen girl large amounts of drugs anyway.

I so wish something would break in this case. It is haunting.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The drug debt theory doesn't add up for many reasons, Brianna was nothing more than a recreational user who was experimenting. I believe she knew too much and the group couldn't let her move away from them.

I agree with you, Tarik. Far too early on in this investigation the police and the media portrayed her as a heavy drug user/party girl, which all of her fiends and family said was untrue.
Even Det. Hall who is now working the case said earlier this year that those stories were exaggerated "There's just no evidence of that, and while there's a lot of talk about that, we have to deal with facts and the facts don't back that up."

Whatever she may or may have not been into, she didn't deserve whatever happened to her. I hope her family gets the answers they deserve soon.

The issue that I have is that some people still argue that there was indeed a drug debt. One of her friends even went on local TV in 2014 to say that Brianna "owed money to the wrong person for the wrong things" and "that person was in her car that night", it's easy to find that quote online. So I cannot eliminate that theory completely until someone explains clearly why and who is keeping this theory in the spotlight, it's a very frustrating case overall.

Hi this is SuperSloothe, I heard from someone I know whose son was involved with this person who was/is a drug dealer called "Joker"-who bragged to this persons son that he killed Brianna. I no not what this individuals real name is but the police & state police do know his real name. He was a drug dealer in the county at that time & had said she owed him money & hadn't paid him & he killed her. I do not know if police investigated him or not but the person whose son said "Joker"told him these things was an addict at the time & I do not believe the police took him seriously if he did tell them what he'd been told by this Joker person. Has anyone else ever heard about him possibly being involved in her disappearance? Please message me if you've heard anything concerning his involvement in her disappearance. Thank You

I am certainly not judging her as far as perhaps even trying drugs & this being what her debt if she had one at all was supposedly owed to this person known in drug circles as Joker for-I do not know what he looks like nor do I know if he is still in the area even. But the son who said this about the murder was terrified of this person-Joker-that is why I don't think he ever told the police what Joker had told him. I know they do know who or what his real name is & may have questioned him. He was not from the state of VT but was from I believe NYC. But I am uncertain if that is where is actually is from.

I have not ever run into the mistrust of LE in VT more of outsider mistrust, for instance if you move here you may be welcome in some circles but you are looked at as a possible problem & somewhat distrusted until you've been around here for quite a while. I also know that in drug circles you are definitely unwelcome if you are not known to this group of people especially back when she went missing. You had to know someone involved already in those circles or had to over time break into them which may or may not work out. This may be different now with the drug epidemic but was that way for many many many years. But her age at that time would put her in those same individuals of the same age-which may have allowed her easier access to these people & drugs as opposed to someone not born in VT & raised there or schooled there. I too find it extremely odd that both her & Maura went missing in the same sort of way both stories winding up in dead ends so to speak thus far at least. The other odd thing is-the house where her car was found had been the site years earlier of a double homicide of the two men that lived there but were found dead in their home which became rundown & abandoned by the time Brianna's car was backed into the barn which sounds like someone was in a hurry to get out of there & probably had no lights on as the property was abandoned & head lights would only have brought attention & having no lights on would certainly be a nod to why they actually hit the building with the car while backing it in the spot it was left. Two young women can't just vanish completely without anyone seeing anything what so ever-no footprints no finger prints or trace of them? If you saw something & are afraid to come forward please message me & I will message you back & we can keep it between us but someone saw something in both of these cases. If your that person or persons please anonymously message me tell me your thoughts-these families deserve some break to come to these cases-this has gone on long enough & if you drive up that way-its not a trucking route, it was late in the case of both women & they were alone in their vehicles or at least thought they were. Also my memory concerning the house where her car was found may not be clear the 2 men may have been severely beaten & nearly killed but I may not remembering it clearly as it happened so very long ago. But where Brianna had to drive home from that night is very dark & isolated with much land between homes. But this home sat down off the road quite a ways so who ever drove her car down there must have scoped out the area ahead of time & one other odd thing coming from her work this house is on the left of the driver so you'd have to pull in head first unless you had a long view of lights coming in order for them to back all the way down a steep short drop & with lights off would account for hitting or backing into the building. But up in the country in the dark you can see for many miles any cars coming & many locals use this fact when driving near hills etc if they're crossing the road while driving, but the police never mentioned anything about tracks showing the person pulled in forwards then turned around & backed into the building. It sounded only as though it went in one way-backwards. If you have further info about this please advise. Thank You. By the way I find it hard to believe this was a local person as I've known female friends who hitch hiked that exact strip of road many times after drinking in the area Brianna worked. I also know of several other sex offenders who are & were in this area back then & could have possibly tried to stop her as 1 man in the area stalked women & used lights on top of his vehicle & a spot light shined into their mirror to blind them. Another one who sexually abused multiple women & children & was finally jailed in Fla after raping a young child he was sentenced to 25yrs to life served only 150 days & was released back to VT on probation. He was known to nearly kill many of his girlfriends if he was angered or refused sex. He wouldn't remember these events afterwards & got away with several leud & lacivious conduct charges as well as rapes but was never prosecuted as he was being protected by LE as an informant on drug dealers.

If someone was in her car waiting for her-someone else had to have dropped this person off there & followed Brianna's car & then pick this so called "Joker" person who bragged about killing her to someone I know who was terrified that he had this information but was in trouble himself with drugs & the police both but was too terrified of Joker to tell the police what he knew even if it meant he would have gotten out of trouble with police or been able to make a deal with LE over this information. So if it was Joker someone helped him followed him in Brianna's car & picked them both up after dumping her car or disposed of her before parking the vehicle in the spot it was found but with her keys purse etc. still being in the car when it was found, I feel she was in that car alive when they backed it in place & took her where ever they did from there. I know from reports that she was a good girl but even good people can try or use or get addicted quickly to a drug & quickly get in over their head financially & who knows what this Joker person did as far as "fronting" drugs to individuals-he may have charged if he didn't get all owed to him when told he'd get it sort of like loan sharking which would create quickly a huge debt for someone waitressing to be able to pay. Plus drugs were far more expensive back then than now as heroin was around $40- for what one would pay $10-for in a big city such as in NYC or CT or MA which is what brought all the drug dealers up here in the 2000's because they found out they could make far more money selling their drugs in VT as compared to selling the same drug in NYC, CT or MA.

They the LE community in VT should compare it to this drug dealer who'd bragged he'd killed her over owing him something for something. The LE community knows his real name I only was told by a relative of the person he told he killed her & he goes by the name "Joker" I know that they the police know who he is but don't know if they really were ever made aware that he had bragged about killing her. They should compare his DNA with that found in her vehicle. I know they know his real name I do not. But I do know the name of the person he told he killed her. But I cannot for their safety & their families safety. I would tell this name to a police officer but I don't know that this person would actually give them the same info due to their fear of this guy Joker.

The person you're talking about is a 36 year old Puerto Rican drug dealer named <Mod Snip> Missouri. He had a property in Richford, VT at the time Brianna went missing. He was certainly involved in her disappearance in various ways but the research I've made leads me to believe he didn't kill her himself.

They the LE community in VT should compare it to this drug dealer who'd bragged he'd killed her over owing him something for something. The LE community knows his real name I only was told by a relative of the person he told he killed her & he goes by the name "Joker" I know that they the police know who he is but don't know if they really were ever made aware that he had bragged about killing her. They should compare his DNA with that found in her vehicle. I know they know his real name I do not. But I do know the name of the person he told he killed her. But I cannot for their safety & their families safety. I would tell this name to a police officer but I don't know that this person would actually give them the same info due to their fear of this guy Joker.
Maybe you should call the police with this info.
It could possibly break the case wide open! I'm sure the LE can figure out a way to keep his name out of it. If he bragged to this young man about killing Brianna, I'm sure he bragged to many others also.
Even if the cops are aware of the Joker dude, they may not be familiar with how involved he possibly was in her death.
Does the young man who is scared know where her body is at least?
Finding the body would be huge AND possibly solve the case. Even if he knows the area she is at would be a good beginning to start a search party. This family deserves to be able to lay her to rest if nothing else.
If I was you I would contact the detective working this case and tell him what you know so far.
Even if the young man and his family are afraid, they need to at least let LE know what they know.
If they find the body, they may not even need the young man's testimony. The DNA may solve it.
Most witnesses are naturally scared to talk. But sometimes you have to put yourself into the victim's family's shoes and know how devastated they are.
The young man would be a hero!
The truth needs to be told so that there is justice in this case for the victim.
This perp needs to be off the streets permanently.
If any of the others involved are brought to justice too then the young man will have nothing to fear. There will be no one left to bother him or his family. There's no telling how many others he's killed if he is this trigger happy to kill someone over a minor drug debt. His DNA being added to the national database may solve many other crimes. You never know. Plus look at how many people's lives he may be saving in the future too!
Let us know what happens! :loveyou:

The name of the so-called Joker is easy to find online with proper research, whether he was fully involved or not remains to be seen but there are a lot of other names as well, most of whom have not been made public.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck
Back