GUILTY WA - 5 Dead, Native Americans. White Swan/Yakima Reservation. 8 June 2019 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

PastTense

Reaction score
"UNION GAP, Washington – Two men are accused of killing five people, stealing a vehicle and holding a gun to a child’s head on the Yakama Indian Reservation in Central Washington.

The killings took place early Saturday in White Swan, a remote unincorporated community at the center of the reservation. One of the suspects, 35-year-old James Dean Cloud, was arrested early Monday after a manhunt involving more than a half dozen law enforcement agencies.

James Cloud and Donovan Quinn Carter Cloud were charged in federal court Monday with assault with a dangerous weapon. Both are members of the Confederated Bands and Tribes of the Yakama Nation. The FBI is leading the investigation, and additional charges are expected."

2 charged in killings on Yakama reservation

"A homeowner told law officers that two men linked to the killing of five people on an Indian reservation in Washington state approached his residence and briefly took a child hostage at gunpoint while demanding car keys to make their escape, court documents said. The child managed to escape, as the men took the vehicle and drove away, according to the documents obtained Monday.

The men were later arrested and face assault charges linked to the Saturday killings on the Yakama Indian Reservation. Two other people have also been taken into custody in connection with the slayings near the town of White Swan.

Yakima County Sheriff Robert Udell has said all the victims were adults and some were known for being involved in illegal drug activities."

Records: 2 men took child hostage after reservation killings

I agree with other posters that this case deserves broader and more compassionate (or at least respectful) media attention.

As someone who works regularly with indigenous communities, I’d note that victim advocacy, especially in more remote places, can be influenced by a host of factors having to do with local affiliations and the trials of daily life for those impacted, and can make speaking out and managing the developing narratives very difficult. Still, these crimes will have profound and longstanding effects on this community and, I suspect, are linked to a range of social circumstances that should not be ignored.

"Vivid memories of last week’s brutal slaying of five people in the White Swan area continue to haunt Lindell LaFollette. He was sitting next to his cousin, Dennis Overacker, when a gunman shot Overacker in the face. LaFollette was shot, too, but he managed to escape...

LaFollette — emotional at times — recounted the terror he and his friends unknowingly stepped into when they arrived at Cagle’s trailer at the end of a long, dusty driveway. Here’s what he recalls:
Then, another gunman came outside and pointed a firearm at Overacker’s face. “Don’t. Don’t do it,” Overacker said. The gunman lowered his weapon, but quickly raised it again and shot Overacker in the face. “With no hesitation, like he’d done it before,” LaFollette said. Overacker’s body slumped. LaFollette quickly leaned over, threw the pickup in gear and pressed on the gas. Another shot was fired and struck LaFollette. “I saw stars,” he said. “I hit the floor.” Head down, LaFollette pressed the gas pedal with his hand...

Authorities believe drugs were a factor in the slayings but say most of the victims weren’t involved. Sheriff Bob Udell described most of the victims as “in the wrong place at the wrong time.”"

White Swan killings: Survivor Lindell LaFollette tells the story

I am amazed by the "speed" of justice in our country. Nearly three years for the case to come to trial. :eek:

I am amazed by the "speed" of justice in our country. Nearly three years for the case to come to trial. :eek:
Most suspects in major crimes waive their right to a speedy trial as immediate trials are statistically far more likely to end in conviction. I'm not sure that members of native American nations have that same right though.

Sentencing hearings for James and Donovan Cloud have been moved to Sept. 27 in Yakima. A hearing on James Cloud’s motion for partial acquittal and a new hearing will July 26.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back