GUILTY WA - Bethany Storro charged in acid attack hoax, Vancouver, 2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's been reported she used drain cleaner to put on herself to either kill herself (which makes no sense) or get facial surgery. I've seen people suggesting she was trying to give herself a facial-but who is going to use drain cleaner for a facial?
She could have got glycolic acid for ~ 30 $ to use in a facial.

True.
I don't believe the drain cleaner story, unless there's evidence of it in her vehicle. Supposedly, she applied it while in a park near where she eventually started screaming in the past tense "it BURNED".....not "it burns" (another little detail that tripped up her story).

I think she really was trying to "improve" herself (overshadowed by that fancy-pants blonde sister), and realized she'd made a mistake.

What to do? Blame a black person. What else.

The story's what she needs to be psychiatrically examined for, as well as her use of the money. I should say *her family's use of the money*.

True.
I don't believe the drain cleaner story, unless there's evidence of it in her vehicle. Supposedly, she applied it while in a park near where she eventually started screaming in the past tense "it BURNED".....not "it burns" (another little detail that tripped up her story).

I think she really was trying to "improve" herself (overshadowed by that fancy-pants blonde sister), and realized she'd made a mistake.

What to do? Blame a black person. What else.

The story's what she needs to be psychiatrically examined for, as well as her use of the money. I should say *her family's use of the money*.

I would think the woman who spend $$$ on laser treatment would know what to put on her face if she wanted to improve herself.

I think the least she could do is plead guilty. Should have known better though.

I would have thought full mental health evaluations would have been done by now. This article pertains to Bethany's receipt of donations after the faked attack. What about the thousands of dollars and man-hours spent on this case?

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2011/01/mental_checkup_planned_for_van.html

Mental checkup planned for Vancouver woman who claimed acid attack

"A Clark County Superior Court judge has granted a request for a mental evaluation of a Vancouver woman who splashed acid on her face in a bizarre hoax.

Both the prosecution and defense joined in the request, designed to determine whether Bethany Storro could form criminal intent when she accepted donations after falsely claiming to be the victim of an attack.

The 28-year-old woman originally claimed that an unknown black woman threw acid in her face last Aug. 30. She later admitted her injuries were self-inflicted.

Storro has pleaded not guilty to three theft counts....."

and

"....she will be evaluated at the hospital near Tacoma on a day sometime before her March 9 trial date..."

more at link

I too am shocked....you would think a mental evaluation would have been first priority after the truth came to light....I cannot believe this wasn't done immediately. It's obvious this woman has some serious issues.

Thanks for the update Miss Izzy....it's good to see you again!

Sounds like a typical criminal trial, IMO. She had already been ordered to live in a mental institution, so this definitely wouldn't be the first mental evaluation she has had, but I guess maybe it's the first that will go on court record? They are trying her as a criminal, she pleaded not guilty and testified that she was trying to kill herself... It sounds like she's doing some kind of insanity plea, so a mental evaluation was ordered by the court to investigate the case...

didn't she say at first that she wanted to be a motivational speaker? Also, because of how she consciously lied about the attack and how the acid got on her and how she waited a bit of time before fessing up... I don't think she should get jail time, honestly. I think she should have to be ordered to pay back all the money, and then, also be ordered to tell anyone who asks what happened to her the real story. I don't think anyone could ensure she would do that, but I think that would be the best way to go if possible. She could still motivate with it, kindof ...

Trials in less than a week if the date hasn't been changed.

http://www.mycentraloregon.com/news/local/1304787/Storro-Trail-Pushed-Back.html

Storro Trial Pushed Back

March 02, 2011 03:05 pm
Heather Roberts

PORTLAND, OR -- The trial has been delayed for the woman behind last year's acid attack hoax. Bethany Storro's attorney says he needs more time to review the results of a recent mental evaluation. ... Tuesday, the judge granted the defense's request for a delay. The mental evaluation was designed to determine whether Storro could form criminal intent when she accepted money from well-meaning donors who through (sic) she was a victim of an attack.'

The trial is now set to begin on May 16, 2011.

Another article and photo. It's good to see that the banks were able to return most of the $28,000 in donations to the generous people who stepped up to help:

http://www.oregonlive.com/clark-cou...false_report_of_acid_attack_in_vancouver.html

Bethany Storro receives suspended jail term for false report of acid attack in Vancouver

I'm left with this nagging question. Did she get what she really wanted? Attention and ordered mental heath treatment?

Another article and photo. It's good to see that the banks were able to return most of the $28,000 in donations to the generous people who stepped up to help:

http://www.oregonlive.com/clark-cou...false_report_of_acid_attack_in_vancouver.html

Bethany Storro receives suspended jail term for false report of acid attack in Vancouver

I'm left with this nagging question. Did she get what she really wanted? Attention and ordered mental heath treatment?

Of course. And we all paid for it.
I hope she just goes away. Far away. A commune would be nice.

In the story, she's quoted as saying "All I can do is hope and pray that in time you will forgive me."

All that hopin' and prayin' she's done all of her life, led her to throw acid in her face and blame a black person. I think it would be better if she got away from whatever "church" she's attending, and work in a homeless shelter for black people.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hollyann
Back