Found Deceased WA - Cheryl DeBoer, 54, Mountlake Terrace, 8 February 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If she was actually seen at the Park in Ride, on camera or by a credible witness, then that pretty much clears her husband, in my mind. IDK

Unless she did return home after the text and whatever happened, happened at home. That gives a few hours before the alarm is raised by her employer. I would still like a verified report of a Monday morning witness, preferably non-related or CCtv footage etc.

Actually they did. I think it was quoted that they asked people to call in any suspicious sightings of that area from the 8th until the day she was found. That seemed like a pretty large window of time.

Right, Feb 8, the day she went missing. But I think a lot of posters thoughts and theories (mine included) were leaning towards perhaps she never left her house that morning and had already been placed in the culvert area the night before under the cover of darkness.

But this tells me LE believes she was alive as of AM Feb 8. If they thought perhaps something had happened to her prior to that I think they would have included the day before in their timeline of inquiry.

JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the press conference at the two minute mark the area of 23400 block of 58th (around the library) is named as a crime scene. No reference to the park-and-ride.

I thought he said that the Cedar location was the crime scene, and then added that they want to know if anyone saw anything unusual there as well as around the library. (That would make sense regardless of whether they believe she was accosted near her car or whether a perp just parked her car there.) I could be wrong. That's just what I got from it!

If she was actually seen at the Park in Ride, on camera or by a credible witness, then that pretty much clears her husband, in my mind. IDK

I agree. Waiting for that!

I can't find anywhere where such a sighting is confirmed. At first the husband said he saw her before she left for work, and that was called the last known sighting. Now LE won't even confirm that.

If she had definitely been seen at the park and ride, surely the police would be broadcasting details. Instead they seem to be soliciting sightings.

About the work badge left at home... Is it that she was going to return home, drive back to P&R, then bus to work? That would likely put her 30 min or much more late for work.

I have such a badge that allows me to access my building and get around from floor to floor. On the rare occasion I've forgotten it, I don't return home but instead check in with security and get a visitors pass for the day. I wonder if that is an option for Fred Hutch employees? Basically, I'm wondering if that really is the reason for missing her car pool ride???

Have been Reading all about Cheryl since it was noticed here she disappeared.

Who is the friend/co-worker she was to go to her job with? Who is that misterious person who she sent a text to? Is it a co-worker? A man? A woman? Who is this person? I found nothing about this person at all. Only that she had sent her a text saying what we all know now. It was a personal crime and I would look at the carpool person or the husband.

Jessica Ridgeway was last seen by her mother when she left the house to go to school. She did not arrive at school. Later, her remains were found in a culvert. Did that mean that her mother murdered her and left her in a culvert? No. Did police alert the community that a madman was on the loose? No. How was the actual perpetrator caught? He dropped a personal item at the scene of the body disposal.

I'm trying to be careful and respectful and within TOS of course - but there is a much different dynamic between missing child and missing wife and in each type of case, investigations almost always start with those closest and work their way outward. At this time, according to LE, we don't even know who was really the last person to see Cheryl. So, I'm just tossing theories out there along with everyone else.

Have been Reading all about Cheryl since it was noticed here she disappeared.

Who is the friend/co-worker she was to go to her job with? Who is that misterious person who she sent a text to? Is it a co-worker? A man? A woman? Who is this person? I found nothing about this person at all. Only that she had sent her a text saying what we all know now. It was a personal crime and I would look at the carpool person or the husband.

Apparently she had been carpooling with this same woman for a decade, if I understand things correctly. AND there is at least one other co-worker in the carpool, so that kind of clears the carpool driver, in my mind.

I can't find anywhere where such a sighting is confirmed. At first the husband said he saw her before she left for work, and that was called the last known sighting. Now LE won't even confirm that.

If she had definitely been seen at the park and ride, surely the police would be broadcasting details. Instead they seem to be soliciting sightings.

I have not seen LE say she was confirmed to have been seen there either. In fact, the last I heard they were still reviewing surveillance tapes but had not seen her on any of them.

Apparently she had been carpooling with this same woman for a decade, if I understand things correctly. AND there is at least one other co-worker in the carpool, so that kind of clears the carpool driver, in my mind.

Oh, my bad then. Sorry. I have been reading but there are always things that we miss and that was one. I never knew about that. So... for me only the husband is to look deeply. The usual suspect...

Poor Cheryl. I´ve seen many persons saying she was a soft and kind person with a big heart :(

I'm surprised how much is being made of LE not "warning" residents. Granted murders aren't terribly common, but I've never known LE to warn the public of specific dangers like this before. The fact that a woman went missing and they haven't announced a suspect would seem worrisome enough. LE puts out signs around Christmas to not leave your purse in your car; other than that, I can think of no time I've received warnings or LE was on news "warning" people in our area of anything. Is this usual elsewhere? It seems what she's wearing and time of death could narrow everything down quite a bit. LE is NOT treating this as a suicide IMO. Something happened at home, or someone got snatched. I can truly see how the facts could fit both with what we know now. There's enough traffic cameras and home surveillance systems around there that they'll be able to tell when the car parked there. Looks like that will narrow down family member versus abduction or something too quite quickly.

About the work badge left at home... Is it that she was going to return home, drive back to P&R, then bus to work? That would likely put her 30 min or much more late for work.

I have such a badge that allows me to access my building and get around from floor to floor. On the rare occasion I've forgotten it, I don't return home but instead check in with security and get a visitors pass for the day. I wonder if that is an option for Fred Hutch employees? Basically, I'm wondering if that really is the reason for missing her car pool ride???

I have wondered the same thing. It seems like it would be better to go on to work without it than risk missing your carpool and being late. Just a gut instinct, but I think the badge may be a significant clue to this case, particularly if she was harmed sometime before the am and dumped in the culvert. Was the badge found with her body or at home? What type of clothes were found with her body...normal business attire? Did she have makeup on (anything to suggest she was dressed and ready for work that morning)?

I have been having a look at the culvert on different map apps and websites etc.
On the Google maps iOS app which must use different data to other apps, I can zoom in on satellite view to see that it is possible to pull off the road at this location. This image here seems to show a utility vehicle reversed in along the footpath on the forested side of Cedar Way. A little snooping shows the property directly south of the culvert was for sale recently - street views and RE listings indicate a run-down, possibly vacant condition. Local knowledge?

View attachment 89138

I think LE said she was found on the SW corner of the intersection. Cedar Way runs north/south. Can you tell which side of Cedar Way that property is on? 244th T-bones Cedar from the west. The property on the east side of Cedar, where the T-bone happens, used to have a house on it. It was demolished a few years ago and there is no structure now. I don't recall ever seeing a for-sale sign there. BTW, that whole east side is really brushy. And unoccupied.

On the southWEST corner, if I recall, there is a house, but I seem to think it is quite elevated above the street with perhaps brush below it at street level (but don't quote me). Also don't know if that has been for sale recently.

There is a post on this thread that states that her mother reported that her badge and orca card (orca is a local public transit pass) were at home.

If I were a 4 minute drive from home, I would go get my badge. I would also offer to take the bus so I didn't hold up the carpool. But I would probably know they'd wait for me. At her level, I am pretty confident that she had some flexibility as to her arrival and end of the workday.

I think LE said she was found on the SW corner of the intersection. Cedar Way runs north/south. Can you tell which side of Cedar Way that property is on? 244th T-bones Cedar from the west. The property on the east side of Cedar, where the T-bone happens, used to have a house on it. It was demolished a few years ago and there is no structure now. I don't recall ever seeing a for-sale sign there. BTW, that whole east side is really brushy. And unoccupied.

On the southWEST corner, if I recall, there is a house, but I see to think it is quite elevated about the street with perhaps brush below it at street level (but don't quote me). Also don't know if that has been for sale recently.

I think the creek actually crosses Cedar Way east to west just north of 244th and then crosses 244th north to south. I think there are 2 culverts entering/exiting the NW corner.

Jessica Ridgeway was last seen by her mother when she left the house to go to school. She did not arrive at school. Later, her remains were found in a culvert. Did that mean that her mother murdered her and left her in a culvert? No. Did police alert the community that a madman was on the loose? No. How was the actual perpetrator caught? He dropped a personal item at the scene of the body disposal.

The mother and other relations of Jessica Ridgeway were ruled out as being involved with her disappearance just before her body was discovered (5 days after the abduction). Suspicion of relatives was cast about by media and LE before that time but LE announced that also there was possibly an abductor out there and to exercise caution.

I think the conclusions being drawn here by sleuthers are not being jumped to. Statistically, in over one third of adult females who meet their death by homicide, the domestic partner is to blame. There are other indicators that are not allaying our suspicions: no independent witnesses, a departure from routine by Cheryl, the odd parking location, the nearby disposal location etc...
I hope the ME is as quick and efficient as those seen on TV and we get some facts soon...nobody likes to be a finger-pointer without reason ;)

Oops, I lost the quote. This responds to whether returning home as the text indicated would have caused Cheryl to be very late to work.

There are a lot of buses that hit the MLT P&R before heading to the stop Cheryl would get off at. I think there are 3 or 4 routes, and they each run about every 15 minutes (staggered). if the trip home and back took ten minutes, I don't think she would run terribly late to work. Or maybe she typically arrives early, with wiggle room for traffic issues, etc. I get what you're saying; i think I would bag the badge and get a temp badge at work, OR if I had to have it, I would probably go home and grab it, then maybe just drive in to work - although that is a royal pain at the time of the day unless you are a carpool or mass transit.

Your post has got me thinking...

So it seems the facebook rumor yesterday, that someone is being questioned, was really just rumor, not fact. This is why we don't allow social media comments to be discussed here.

I didn't see the rumor, but I would be very surprised if LE wasn't questioning everyone close to her. According to my "research," ahem, several hundred episodes of forensic files, spouses are always questioned so they can be ruled out and if not always, at least very frequently, take poly's so they can be cleared and the investigation can move on.

You hear again again and again how difficult it is for spouses to be questioned about the nuances of their relationship, etc., at such a time. :(

But that's how investigators work, from the inside out--who saw the victim last, who could personally benefit from that person being gone in terms of freedom, pursuit of other romance or money. I think it would be unusual if they approached this case differently. It's protocol. I wouldn't expect for LE to be detailing those interviews at this point. Usually you just hear when they are cleared.

I heard in one of the posted videos that the Washington State crime lab had been called in to assist in collecting and analyzing the evidence found thus far. That's very good news, meaning these won't be amateurs doing the forensics and testing.

The bad news is, it's going to take time. Everybody wants to know who did this right now.......not a month from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth