WA WA - D.B. Cooper hijacking mystery, 24 Nov 1971 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone for the input and calling KOIN about the case

SADIE, Once we starting focusing on this guy, I too found it odd that he called in that night. I always wondered why he didn't call the FBI at say 6pm, or 7pm or even 8pm. If he was so worried about the feds thinking it was him, why did he wait until 10pm, or two hours after Cooper jumped? Also, something that Tina Mucklow, one of the flight attendants said, was that Cooper put on the chute as if he did it everyday.

Thanks for the comments, but, we kind of stumbled into this case. I don't think we could find HOffa in a million years.

leftcoast

SadieMae said:
Wow. This case has always intrigued me. I always felt DB was alive and well somewhere, not in the US. I never thought a true suspect would be found and it would forever be a mystery. I just seems so odd that he would call the FBI and tell them he didn't do it. If he didn't, why tell them that? Everything about this man's experience/background tells me he certainly was capable of pulling it off. I don't know of anyone who would just jump out of a plane, unless they've done it before. Definitely keep us posted on this!!!!

Welcome to WS leftcoast. And when this case is done, can you work on where Jimmy Hoffa disappeard to? :D I know he's dead, just want to know where's the body.
I am thinking like you sadie- what are the odds, you jump from a plane with money, parachute down, then are able to call the FBI 2 hours later? that seems like alot of work to get accomplished in 2 hours- figuring that whether he was a pilot, good parachutest ( sp) or what, how did he know, or where did he land--- find his way out of wherever he landed, to find a phone and call the fbi? no disrespect at all intemeded to you l/c-- this 2 hour time frame just seems hard to buy-

Cell phones were uncommon back then as I remember.

I'm going to have to go to the site and read up a bit. SW of Mt St Helens is pretty open territory, heavily treed. There was not one tip I know of that night of a sighting of a suspicious man. It was immediately all over the media from the time the airplane was hijacked I think, but remember we heard about it onthe radio whil driving that night.

I want to look at a map. I don't think they ever found the spot where he actually landed. If he was experienced at parachuting he might have been good enough to land at a certain spot where he had a get away vehicle stashed. I know that sounds bizarre, but I think it could be very doable. I remember something about him possibly landing to the east a bit, north of Camas.

The roads at night in North Clark County were sparsley traveled at night I believe, where all those logging roads are. I've driven them! Further north to St Helens it is the same type terrain. I think the mtn is only like 80 miles or so from Portland.

I'm going to go read! ;}

scandi said:
Cell phones were uncommon back then as I remember.

I'm going to have to go to the site and read up a bit. SW of Mt St Helens is pretty open territory, heavily treed. There was not one tip I know of that night of a sighting of a suspicious man. It was immediately all over the media from the time the airplane was hijacked I think, but remember we heard about it onthe radio whil driving that night.

I want to look at a map. I don't think they ever found the spot where he actually landed. If he was experienced at parachuting he might have been good enough to land at a certain spot where he had a get away vehicle stashed. I know that sounds bizarre, but I think it could be very doable. I remember something about him possibly landing to the east a bit, north of Camas.

The roads at night in North Clark County were sparsley traveled at night I believe, where all those logging roads are. I've driven them! Further north to St Helens it is the same type terrain. I think the mtn is only like 80 miles or so from Portland.

I'm going to go read! ;}
that is what I am saying about finding a phone to call- no cell phones, even if he had a car stashed, how did he know the pilots would do as he wanted, or fly at an altitude he could jump, to land close enough to a car? this 2 hour thing has me skepitcal- he makes me wonder if is he isnt a "want to be...."

j2mrish, You bring up a good point. I will explain how I believe Cooper pulled it off. First of all, he was an excellent skydiver and pilot, who was flying in the Portland area for over 20 years. Hence, he had over 5,000 jumps as of 1971. When he hijacked the plane, he demanded that the pilot fly south on Vector 23, which is the most common low altitude flight pattern in the area. He also ordered the pilot to fly at 10,000 feet, gear down, flaps at 15 degrees, and at a speed of 170 knots or 196 mph. Given this, he was able to time the distance and the amount of time it would take the jet to reach his pre-determined jump site within 5 miles or so. Once he arrived in the area, all he needed was to recognize his landmark, and away he went.

In addition, another way is to simply use a walkie-talkie and have an accomplice pick you up once you land.

This is how I believe it was done. You must know that our suspect is an expert skydiver, in the same realm as the Golden Knights of today's US Army. I really don't think that finding his pre-determined jump site was a problem for him, due to his expertise of parachuting and the terrain around Portland. In addition, there were also navigational aids available back then. They were called Navigational Markers. Jumping close to one of these markers would be ideal.

Another thing, whether he landed by Lake Merwin or where the money was found on the Columbia River, both locations are within a two hour walk to both houses and stores.

leftcoast

But why call the Feds at all? Why would he think this would do anything BUT make him a suspect?

(You've been great answering our questions, Leftcoast. This, too, is actually a question, not a snark. The logic of the call escapes me. And, otherwise, Cooper was quite methodical.)

Nova, The reason he had to call the Feds is because he knew people would eventual call him in an a potential suspect. The Feds offered a 25,000 reward back then, and every skydiver was called in as a suspect. In addition, there were more than 8 people who called him in as a potential suspect. Plus, if you call in and the feds are on to you, I think he plan was either to hide the money, or simply take off out of the country. Not to mention that he wanted to know what the feds thought about the hijacking.

leftcoast

leftcoast said:
j2mrish, You bring up a good point. I will explain how I believe Cooper pulled it off. First of all, he was an excellent skydiver and pilot, who was flying in the Portland area for over 20 years. Hence, he had over 5,000 jumps as of 1971. When he hijacked the plane, he demanded that the pilot fly south on Vector 23, which is the most common low altitude flight pattern in the area. He also ordered the pilot to fly at 10,000 feet, gear down, flaps at 15 degrees, and at a speed of 170 knots or 196 mph. Given this, he was able to time the distance and the amount of time it would take the jet to reach his pre-determined jump site within 5 miles or so. Once he arrived in the area, all he needed was to recognize his landmark, and away he went.

In addition, another way is to simply use a walkie-talkie and have an accomplice pick you up once you land.

This is how I believe it was done. You must know that our suspect is an expert skydiver, in the same realm as the Golden Knights of today's US Army. I really don't think that finding his pre-determined jump site was a problem for him, due to his expertise of parachuting and the terrain around Portland. In addition, there were also navigational aids available back then. They were called Navigational Markers. Jumping close to one of these markers would be ideal.

Another thing, whether he landed by Lake Merwin or where the money was found on the Columbia River, both locations are within a two hour walk to both houses and stores.

leftcoast
thanks for your response l/c

lc- does your guy think you know it is him, or does he want you to think it is him?

why would he do so much talking this many years later do you think?

Leftcoast, I tried to bring up your interview and don't know why it won't work for me ;{

I found this site:http://www.jetpiedmont.com/Phorum5/read.php?3,462,1374 which is an interesting read about what happened to the plane after that night. Before DB jumped he carved his initials on the wall of the plane from the area where he stood when he jumped out.

There are some realy interesting comments here after the article. Talk about getting hooked!

j2mirish Yes, I am starting to believe that our suspect thinks we know or at least suspect him. No, he in no way is trying to convince us he is Cooper. It is the other way around. He has gone out of his way, every time we visit him, to give us his alibi of where he was during the hijacking.

Why is he doing so much talking? Well, I think he likes us. We have visited him four times, and he enjoys talking about the case. I also think that he wants the legend to live on, but, doesn't want to get caught. I also think he is trying to figure out who we are, and how much we know.

leftcoast

Scandi, Are you talking about the radio interview? IF so, last time I tried it worked. You have to download it and then play it using Realone or whatever it is called. Sorry, but I am not a computer expert.

leftcoast

leftcoast said:
j2mirish Yes, I am starting to believe that our suspect thinks we know or at least suspect him. No, he in no way is trying to convince us he is Cooper. It is the other way around. He has gone out of his way, every time we visit him, to give us his alibi of where he was during the hijacking.

Why is he doing so much talking? Well, I think he likes us. We have visited him four times, and he enjoys talking about the case. I also think that he wants the legend to live on, but, doesn't want to get caught. I also think he is trying to figure out who we are, and how much we know.

leftcoast
that makes sense-
if you have met up with him 4 times- how in the world did you ever start the conversation? uhh....hey mister- we hear you know how to jump outta planes....ever hear of DB cooper..? :crazy: :crazy:
really appreciate your answers- you owe no one here anything !! hope you understanderstand I dont doubt you- we are just a very full of questiions kinda bunch here at w/s ! :blowkiss:

j2mrish: When we go to visit him, we tell him that we are interviewing skydivers and asking them whether they think DB Cooper could have made it or not because we are writing a book. Part of what we tell him is true. We have interviewed several skydivers, including the rigger who packed Cooper's chute. So, once he starts talking, we just listen. At no time, have we ever accused him, and like I said, each time, he begins his speech with what he was doing the night of the hijacking. Trust me, the last thing this guy wants is attention.

leftcoast

leftcoast said:
j2mrish: When we go to visit him, we tell him that we are interviewing skydivers and asking them whether they think DB Cooper could have made it or not because we are writing a book. Part of what we tell him is true. We have interviewed several skydivers, including the rigger who packed Cooper's chute. So, once he starts talking, we just listen. At no time, have we ever accused him, and like I said, each time, he begins his speech with what he was doing the night of the hijacking. Trust me, the last thing this guy wants is attention.

leftcoast
does he say he made it, or does he tell you probably not?
If i am asking to many questions, :slap: me- again- not doubting you- find it very intriguing !

leftcoast said:
Scandi, Are you talking about the radio interview? IF so, last time I tried it worked. You have to download it and then play it using Realone or whatever it is called. Sorry, but I am not a computer expert.

leftcoast

Yes, it's the 3rd on down on that site by Dan, right?

Nothing happens, as usually when I click on a video a window pops up and it downloads as you say. Of course I've never listened to a radio interview before! I will try again.

s8mish: He actually tells us that he thinks Cooper made it,
Cooper is still alive, lives a quiet life, doesn't want attention, didn't use an accomplice, timed the route using a stopwatch, was very gentle to the flight attendants, and threw the money by the columbia river so that the feds would think that I drowned, that Cooper had a tight schedule in Seattle so that the Feds couldn't get a swat team to the airport, that cooper must have only requested 200,000 so that it could easily be attained at a bank without delays, that Cooper tore apart one of the extra chutes and used it as a duffel bag to stash the money in and also to secure to his chest so the money wouldn't be lost while jumping.

those were the highlights from this past weekend.

leftcoast

scandi, yes, the third one down. I just tried it and it was working for me. Do you have the mp3 or whatever you need on your computer to play back radio shows? Like I said, I'm not a computer geek.

leftcoast

leftcoast said:

leftcoast
how did you find the person that did this? and why cant, or didnt they id him then?

leftcoast said:
s8mish: He actually tells us that he thinks Cooper made it,
Cooper is still alive, lives a quiet life, doesn't want attention, didn't use an accomplice, timed the route using a stopwatch, was very gentle to the flight attendants, and threw the money by the columbia river so that the feds would think that I drowned, that Cooper had a tight schedule in Seattle so that the Feds couldn't get a swat team to the airport, that cooper must have only requested 200,000 so that it could easily be attained at a bank without delays, that Cooper tore apart one of the extra chutes and used it as a duffel bag to stash the money in and also to secure to his chest so the money wouldn't be lost while jumping.

those were the highlights from this past weekend.

leftcoast
his word, your word or a typo?

is the rest of the story, yours or him telling you what he thinks happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214