Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, just some thoughts... SPECULATION

ICE involvement: while I believe they are likely just being used for the expertise in computers, evidence gathering and an extra resource to do with surveillance, (all the cool federally funded spy gadgets), they could be involved because it has been RUMORED that JF wasn't too choosy about his employees, (trying to save money and such). Could he have either recently or in the past have hired an illegal immigrant that ICE might have helped in questioning? Maybe not a prime suspect, but someone who LE would likely want to at least question?

Cell phone activity: This is interesting information we are learning - especially the idea that the phone was already turned off before the 5:42 final communication with the cell network. Why would the phone be turned back on for that final ping, (or whatever it was?)?

Trying to make sense of this, let's try a couple of scenarios:

Scenario ONE: First let's go with MC being the one that turned her phone back on. This seems to work, (MC attempts call for help), although we need to account for her the entire time the phone was off, (or at least why she wasn't receiving texts and calls were going to voice-mail). Would she have done that by choice? It doesn't sound like she ever turned her phone off. IMO that means someone would have forced her to turn phone off, (or asked her convincingly), and when she decided things were turning bad she attempted to turn it on and make a call for help? Plausibility is still sort of low on this one, IMO. If she's not the type to turn her cell phone off, maybe she left or was taken outside cell service area and that explains reason for messages not going through, (in this case, the phone wouldn't be "turned back on" it would just re-enter cell service area at 5:42 pm - which takes us to our next scenario).

Scenario TWO: Suspect(s) are in control of phone. I would imagine, after the crime is committed the first thing a suspect would do to a cell phone would be to remove the battery -- someone said they had this exact same phone, to that person I would like to know what does removing the battery from MC's phone require? Is it simple for someone unfamiliar with the phone? If the phone is slide open, (or flipped or whatever), does it turn itself back on automatically? Is that position required to remove battery?

Other than removing the battery, a suspect may think of stomping on it or attempting to crush it in some way. What if stomping on it turned it on for a split second, just long enough to register on the cell network? Sounds iffy to me and IMO causes me to lean towards the idea that the phone, (and maybe MC?) were taken outside of service coverage area, (possibly MC going willingly - but likely not). Then, when the suspect drove back into the service area all those text messages and voice mails would have caused the phone to immediately buzz, alerting the suspect, who would then immediately removed the battery/destroy the phone. Maybe he even had to dig it out of a pocket as the body was being transferred from unknown location to CB location?

The car wash (RUMOR): The person who noticed the water streaks on the rear of MC's car coming from under the rear spoiler - good job. This does lend some to the car wash rumor, IMO. Maybe it only poured out because of the steep incline the vehicle was put in to flatbed or tow it? Do you also have a guess as to how long water tends to stay trapped under those rear spoilers? Could it be days?

Also, if she did have a passenger, maybe that passenger offered to pay for the car wash, and that is the only reason she did it? She may not have been stressed out/under duress while at the car wash as much as confused because it was something unfamiliar for her to do. Sort of like pumping gas at a different station than the one you always go to - easy to get confused, i.e. "Do I select wash type before or after inserting coins? Oh, there's an attendant, I'll let him do it?"

As usual, good theories by The Alt.

Here’s a slight twist to The Alt’s theories: perhaps MC’s cell phone was inadvertently turned back on at 5:42 p.m. after being turned off sometime prior to 4:15 p.m. I could of swore I read in one of the early media reports that LE stated MC’s cell phone’s last activity of 5:42 p.m. was an “on/off ping.”

My Blackberry is activated by pushing one (big) button. My cell often times gets activated accidentally. Conversely, my cell is difficult to turn off and that has never happened accidentally. I don’t know if MC’s cell phone is the same way. I’m not familiar with her cell, so I’ll defer to those who are.

FYI: For the record, I continue to BELIEVE that MC’s time of death was at or about 4:10 p.m., plus or minus 5 minutes.

You have it backward...

JV/MC Texting Timeline

MC texted JV at 11:30 a.m to tell him she was stopping by Target.

The last time JV heard from MC the day of her disappearance was 2:45 and that was when she texted "hey."

He was at work still so when he got off, he texted her back "hey, wassup" at around 4:15. This is when he got it sent back saying it wasn't received, or however that message words it. I have Verizon too and I've had this kind of thing happen once in awhile if I was in an area with no service & the message wouldn't go out, or if the person I was texting was in a no-service area.

He said he tried calling her multiple times after that and it went straight to voicemail, which made him think the phone was turned off.

Sorry Melissa---one more question about this point----is it possible that JV texted MC earlier in the day? And then maybe the texts didn't show up on MCs phone until 3:40??

Question for JV:

What time did MC usually leave work for the day? Just wondering if he thinks she was on a break or off for the day when she disappeared.

Question for the rest of you:

Do you think a lone killer could have done this?

I am really wondering about this----since we are narrowed down to 3 PM and 4:15 with a possible visit to the carwash at about 4.........is it possible she met someone somewhere, the perp talked her into the carwash because he/she knew it would be noisy in there, the perp attacked her in the car hitting her on the head, then perp drove the car down to the boatramp and waited for someone to come help dump the car. After they met up and waited until dark, one person put MC into another vehicle and one person drove her car up to PC to get rid of it.

I am really wondering about this----since we are narrowed down to 3 PM and 4:15 with a possible visit to the carwash at about 4.........is it possible she met someone somewhere, the perp talked her into the carwash because he/she knew it would be noisy in there, the perp attacked her in the car hitting her on the head, then perp drove the car down to the boatramp and waited for someone to come help dump the car. After they met up and waited until dark, one person put MC into another vehicle and one person drove her car up to PC to get rid of it.

Maybe, however, I thought the rumor was she drove through the car wash, with a passenger in her car.

Maybe she washed the car, herself???

Another item I notice with MC's car:

The seats appear to be the same type as were in my '97 model (I had GT model, MC's is SE model) based on the headrest (shaped like a carrying handle, the headrests have a pass-thru opening in the middle). That tells me the seatback angle is adjustable.

Looking at the pic it appears the seat is closer to upright (based on visible upper seatback and headrest angle) which leads me to conclude the front passenger seat is adjusted to fit for a taller person.

The driver seat appears to be mid-track, based on headrest position with the door pillar. That position fits comfortable for an average height 5' 8" to 5' 10" person, depending of course on leg length.

Attachments

Maybe, however, I thought the rumor was she drove through the car wash, with a passenger in her car.

Maybe she washed the car, herself???

What I am wondering is if she was at the entrance fumbling with money, got back in, drove it into the carwash, was hit on the head during the carwash process, and the perp got into the driver's seat and drove the car out (no attendants there at the end and no camera). Why am I proposing this because there is enough time in there to do this, its loud, no one can see any of it, and she was (supposedly) seen at 4 but by 4:15 was not responding to texts etc.

This also explains ---why the carwash at this time of day, in the middle of a meeting with someone, when MC didn't usually wash her car, etc.----

As usual, good theories by The Alt.

Here’s a slight twist to The Alt’s theories: perhaps MC’s cell phone was inadvertently turned back on at 5:42 p.m. after being turned off sometime prior to 4:15 p.m. I could of swore I read in one of the early media reports that LE stated MC’s cell phone’s last activity of 5:42 p.m. was an “on/off ping.”

My Blackberry is activated by pushing one (big) button. My cell often times gets activated accidentally. Conversely, my cell is difficult to turn off and that has never happened accidentally. I don’t know if MC’s cell phone is the same way. I’m not familiar with her cell, so I’ll defer to those who are.

FYI: For the record, I continue to BELIEVE that MC’s time of death was at or about 4:10 p.m., plus or minus 5 minutes.

BBM I looked that up before, (the information of the "on/off ping" at 5:42 pm). The first place I was able to find it was in comments at an early WW article. It sounded like the commenter knew what he/she was talking about, but I asked Dogdad about on/off pings and as far as he knew there is no such thing as an "off ping". A cell phone, once turned off, would just fail to respond to the next ping from the cell tower. Whether it was turned off or left the cell tower's service area would be an unknown. (Dog, feel free to bite if I didn't remember this info correctly).

{ETA: I think it could be assumed the cell phone was turned "off" if the next ping wasn't answered but the tower that had received the previous ping was surrounded by other towers/service area. This could be "assumed" because you can't travel that fast out of the service area. In this same way, you might be able to assume the cell phone was turned on because it's first ping back on the network wasn't from a tower on the edge of the service area. This still wouldn't create an 'on' or 'off' ping and it sounds like it would take additional information/triangulation to even assume a phone was turned on and back off as apposed to possibly just entering/leaving the service area. With a key 12 hours of data missing, (possibly ping signal strength?), from MC's cell phone, LE may NEVER really know enough to make ANY assumptions as to the location of MC's phone.

As I recall from the search a couple winters ago for the Kim family in southern Oregon, (one where the dad attempted hiking out after a week but died), a very limited number of pings for the family's phone was picked up by one cell tower company, (Edge Wireless), as they traveled. After they became stuck in snow, it sounds like only a single ping was received in the very early hours of the morning from many many miles away. It took an expert like Dogdad named Eric Fuqua to analyze the precise data, compare it to charts and maps and run it through a specific computer program, to only then figure out where it might have come from. Here's the best story I could find about cell ping and technology used in that search. LE didn't even have a search area before this ping information and by the time the info was passed on to LE it was too late for the father.

Back to our case -- if all they have is that last ping, (if that's all the 5:42 pm communication was), and they truly are missing the precise data in relation to that ping because of the 12 hours of missing/purged data, LE can't even begin to assume that ping wasn't a total anomaly coming from MILES outside of ANY coverage area. Now, I'm talking way above my pay grade and hopefully Dogdad can shine some light on some of these thoughts.}

And del rio, I agree -- I would certainly think a suspect having control over the phone at 5:42 pm would only turn it on by some type of accident - maybe while attempting to remove the back cover to get at the battery, (which is usually a difficult thing to do).

IMO, reasons for SUSPECT(S) to ACTUALLY want to turn the phone on are few and not very plausible: (1) check to see who has been trying to contact MC? If no one, might not feel so rushed? If lots of texts/voicemails (like say from JV), maybe speed things up? (2) Attempt to delete yourself off contact list / delete messages you had sent MC? - it's just easier, and more complete, to just destroy phone, so??? (3) Accomplice / secondary suspect turns phone on just long enough to register on the cell network before destroying phone while the primary suspect / murderer is far, far away from that cell tower and engaged in an activity that would provide a good alibi - something along the lines of getting a haircut might be good for this?

Nevermind... maybe it is plausible that the suspect(s) would have wanted the phone turned back on one last time.

Sorry Melissa---one more question about this point----is it possible that JV texted MC earlier in the day? And then maybe the texts didn't show up on MCs phone until 3:40??

Delays in text delivery to a powered-on phone might occur for various reasons:

There are normal, inherent processing delays (short, in milliseconds); heavy-loading delays (short to medium, milliseconds to a few seconds); and abnormal, technical-issue delays (long, and outages, minutes to days).

An example of network loading occured during the 9/11 timeframe when many people were not connected through to loved ones because most if not all network trunks were in busy (in-use) status ... no available routing paths.

Holiday time frames see an increase in texting as loved ones send their well-wishes ... this causes mild to moderate delays as more messages must be processed.

I do not expect MC's and JV's messages were delayed much beyond normal system processing.

BBM I looked that up before, (the information of the "on/off ping" at 5:42 pm). The first place I was able to find it was in comments at an early WW article. It sounded like the commenter knew what he/she was talking about, but I asked Dogdad about on/off pings and as far as he knew there is no such thing as an "off ping". A cell phone, once turned off, would just fail to respond to the next ping from the cell tower. Whether it was turned off or left the cell tower's service area would be an unknown. (Dog, feel free to bite if I didn't remember this info correctly).

And del rio, I certainly agree -- I would certainly think a suspect having control over the phone at 5:42 pm would only turn it on by some type of accident - maybe while attempting to remove the back cover to get at the battery, (which is usually a difficult thing to do).

IMO, reasons for SUSPECT(S) to ACTUALLY want to turn the phone on are few and not very plausible: (1) check to see who has been trying to contact MC? If no one, might not feel so rushed? If lots of texts/voicemails (like say from JV), maybe speed things up? (2) Attempt to delete yourself off contact list / delete messages you had sent MC? - it's just easier, and more complete, to just destroy phone, so??? (3) Accomplice / secondary suspect turns phone on just long enough to register on the cell network before destroying phone while the primary suspect / murderer is far, far away from that cell tower and engaged in an activity that would provide a good alibi - something along the lines of getting a haircut might be good for this?

Nevermind... maybe it is plausible that the suspect(s) would have wanted the phone turned back on one last time.

Another possibility is there was no 5:42 pm 'ping' and that LE was baiting the perp. Perhaps LE had one or more folks under surveillance and the '5:42 pm ping' was a a trick to make the perp think they had not properly powered off the phone or had not completely destroyed it .. with LE thinking the perp might travel back to where he/she had left the phone?

Delays in text delivery to a powered-on phone might occur for various reasons:

There are normal, inherent processing delays (short, in milliseconds); heavy-loading delays (short to medium, milliseconds to a few seconds); and abnormal, technical-issue delays (long, and outages, minutes to days).

An example of network loading occured during the 9/11 timeframe when many people were not connected through to loved ones because most if not all network trunks were in busy (in-use) status ... no available routing paths.

Holiday time frames see an increase in texting as loved ones send their well-wishes ... this causes mild to moderate delays as more messages must be processed.

I do not expect MC's and JV's messages were delayed much beyond normal system processing.

Thanks for the clarification!! Maybe I need to get Verizon because my cell phone gets delayed messages by a few hours to 24 hours later almost weekly! :boohoo:

bbm

The perp already would have to be in the driver's seat, as there would not be enough time to strike and 'swap positions' within a closed vehicle especially noting there is a console in MC's car.

Striking her, then picking up her unconcscious, limp body to swap seats would be an extreme chore. Not completely impossible, I suppose, but I do not expect a perp to expose to such risk.

Turning the LG ENV2 Phone On and Off​

Turning the Phone On

Using the Internal Keypad​
1. Install a charged battery or
connect the phone to external
power source.

2. Open the flip and press for
a few seconds until the LCD​
screen lights up

Using the External Power Key​
1. Install a charged battery or
connect the phone to external
power source.
2. Press for a few seconds
until the LCD screen lights up.​

Turning the Phone Off

Using the Internal Keypad​
1. Press and hold until the
display turns off.​

Using the External Power Key​
1. Unlock the Screen by pressing
twice.

2. Press and hold until the​
display turns off.

bbm

The perp already would have to be in the driver's seat, as there would not be enough time to strike and 'swap positions' within a closed vehicle especially noting there is a console in MC's car.

Striking her, then picking up her unconcscious, limp body to swap seats would be an extreme chore. Not completely impossible, I suppose, but I do not expect a perp to expose to such risk.

yep it does sound like it would be hard esp with the console but at my carwash there would be plenty of time to do this---and maybe the reason I am excited about this idea is that drug deals etc. go on in carwashes so why not an attack----and because it is possible that there was 15 minutes between MC being seen alive and OK---and being unresponsive to phone contact (it would be important to know if JVs initial attempts immediately went to voicemail or not). So where else around the carwash could she have been attacked without being heard or seen?

I just realized that I am assuming that the carwash was automatic because there was an attendant who saw her at the entrance--------anyone remember?

As I remember, the COD article stated something about the violent acts occurring within a short period of time. Here it is:
It notes that the time interval between the homicidal violence and death was “brief.”
Of course, that is a subjective statement and possibly only made to make family feel better about what MC had to endure. {Also, although I think they would, are they considering all three injuries as "homicidal violence"?}

Still, an attack while going through the car wash could be plausible IF we forget (or disbelieve) LE's statements towards the condition of MC's car. Almost any attack, (and certainly what is described as the COD), happening inside her car would leave a significant amount of evidence behind. Add to that, an attack while going through the car wash adds a high degree of danger towards getting caught, making me think it would only be done in a non-premeditated murder situation, (or as a last resort - the car wash being the only opportunity the murderer has to be semi-alone with MC). Still, where would the suspect get the RUMORED murder weapon which caused the blunt force trauma? A hammer is not likely to be found in MC's car, so murderer would need to have it on them, meaning we are back to premeditated, which again doesn't really make sense to premeditate for a murder to happen while going through a car wash.

I'm going in circles with this one. It's not impossible, but I believe we have to throw away some "facts" as LE has reported them. So many it becomes implausible IMO. With the phone off / not receiving calls as early as 4:15, (possibly indicating MC was already in trouble), doesn't really affect many of the theories I have read. Although, if you are going with the theory that MC went willingly out to CB, with her cell phone leaving service area as the reason texts and calls weren't going through, then that leaves for a tighter time-frame. Every other location we know of, (or has been rumored of), is only a few minutes from downtown.

yep it does sound like it would be hard esp with the console but at my carwash there would be plenty of time to do this---and maybe the reason I am excited about this idea is that drug deals etc. go on in carwashes so why not an attack----and because it is possible that there was 15 minutes between MC being seen alive and OK---and being unresponsive to phone contact (it would be important to know if JVs initial attempts immediately went to voicemail or not). So where else around the carwash could she have been attacked without being heard or seen?

I just realized that I am assuming that the carwash was automatic because there was an attendant who saw her at the entrance--------anyone remember?

Well, we hashed over the car wash at least a couple of times already -- one time it did seem we narrowed it down to an automatic car wash. Although this was before sillypuddy's recent post and I'm not sure if his/her RUMOR matches up with with the previous RUMOR.

Let me know if anyone else has questions for him. I'll ask anything within reason because I know he is glad to help us if we can in any way help to find her killer.

Did JV say if when he tried calling her that it rang and rang and then went to voicemail or did it go straight to voicemail?

snipped by me:

With all the mud on MC's tires, it DOES look very much like her car was possibly taken to a construction site. I mentioned this several threads back. When we built, even if the streets were dry, in winter with snow melting on uneven soil in a construction site driveway, my tires were coated in the exact same way. The clay soil sticks horribly, and is very predominant in the Eaglerock area.

Hotmadre,
do you suppose that LE took soil samples from her tires to match with locations with either PC or Eaglerook to see where her car may have been?

I am just catching up but-----you guys keep saying LE is playing cat and mouse by giving false information out to the public. Is that legal and/or usable by defense in a trial? It doesn't seem right that LE could "lie".

It's obvious to me that many WS members have been doing this for a long time. My question is to Liz, Hoppy, Salem and any other super veterens out there. Have you ever Sleuthed a case to finality, where LE was later found to have been publicly deceptive?

Did JV say if when he tried calling her that it rang and rang and then went to voicemail or did it go straight to voicemail?

From an earlier post by MelissaW, "He said he tried calling her multiple times after that and it went straight to voicemail, which made him think the phone was turned off."

It sounds like it did not ring and ring, but went straight to voicemail. Perhaps MelissaW can verify for sure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
insanecobain