WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not read all of the day's posts yet but how is it that someone 2 miles "down" the road (presumably closer to Squilchuck Road) could see the abandoned car and report it ----if the car was 2 miles farther into the boonies from their house?

We found someone who lived 2miles down the road with the same last name as WC's bf. It turned out to be no relation to JF. So it has been dropped.

Would be interested to know if MC usually liked to keep her purse with her or not? If so, it might indict she left her car, (whenever that was), unwillingly. I'm thinking she was just usually the type not to use the purse much, because I see no use for the killer(s) to leave her purse in the car but take out debt card.

How about as a diversion? I believe there was a case where an item stolen from a murder victim was later found by a homeless person who had no connection to the crime. All they have to do is leave the debit card lying around in a "bad area" of town, where it would be used fraudulently. Police now have to waste resources clearing the person who used the card.

I think we would all like to believe the death was some tragic accident, with the person so scared they attempted to cover it up. But from the horribleness of how I understand the body to have been left at CB, I think I would just be happy to hear those things were all done after death.

Could have been done to make it look like she was murdered by someone with a grudge. I don't see someone who hated WC that much leaving her in an open area to find.

FYI, I know of an (officially unsolved) case where there was suspicion that a woman (of legal age) was having an affair with her stepfather.

She was diagnosed with a venereal disease. Soon after she went "missing" and was never found. Parents insisted that she ran away. Consensus among people who followed the story is that the stepfather killed and buried her, and the mother remained silent.

I AM NOT SAYING that MC had an affair with her mom's BF, or that she had a VD. But I can see someone getting very upset.

What color? In case I might see him driving around town.

Remember someone posting that he was seen washing tires at the carwash recently. Is it possible that he was up in the area where Pitcher Canyon road turns into a snowy muddy road in the National Forest area?

I realize that this might be way out there........but................could it be possible that Mackenzie's death was purely accidental...............but her injuries came about as a result of somebody trying to transport her somewhere to dispose of her remains.......on a dirt bike....but he..........lost her? I mean, he wasn't able to hold onto her (it would be extremely difficult!) and her body sustained the trauma due to falling off the dirt bike and possibly hitting a railing or something on the side of the road? CB was the nearest place for him to "stash" her until he could find another way. Perhaps, draping her over the seat while he walked the bike down there in the middle of the night? It would explain some things, maybe. Not sure if it would explain all of her (rumored) injuries. Maybe it was just something that went badly.......a terrible miscalculation or accident, and the rest is an attempted cover up gone bad. Just some thoughts.

Well, most dirt bikes are not street legal- no turn signals, headlight, brake light, tabs, ect... so if in any way a dirt bike figures into this it could not have been ridden from Wenatchee to CB, or it would be extremely risky doing so. Most times they are transported via truck to wherever the recreation area is.

Personally I don't think her death was at all accidental. It may not have been premeditated, but I don't think it was an accident.

I think it is extremely likely that her debit card was in her pocket when she was found. I don't think theft figures into this at all, and IIRC a friend or family member stated she only had about 20 bucks in the account attached to the debit card.

Remember someone posting that he was seen washing tires at the carwash recently. Is it possible that he was up in the area where Pitcher Canyon road turns into a snowy muddy road in the National Forest area?

If you search thread 3 for tires you will find what started the washing of tires discussion. It was never reported who it was that was seen washing the tires: Quote:

Originally Posted by wenatcheeres
Anyone know if JF has an older car kind of like a wagon or has access to one? I know someone mentioned him getting new tires recently and I noticed someone at a car wash washing tires. They had apparently hauled them to the car wash to be washed and were larger tires that might be on a truck. Just found in odd to see someone washing tires at 10:30pm.

I think it is extremely likely that her debit card was in her pocket when she was found. I don't think theft figures into this at all, and IIRC a friend or family member stated she only had about 20 bucks in the account attached to the debit card.

I think you're right on! The below article was the last one written before her body was found (less than two hours before she was found). They mention the cell, debit, and gas card missing. All articles after this one only talk about the phone still missing. This leads me to believe the debit and gas card were found on her body.

Quote from WW:
He did say that in addition to her cell phone, authorities did not find Cowell’s debit card, or her gas card, in the vehicle where her purse and clothing were left.

He said the debit card only had about $20, and was used for incidental expenses. There has been no activity on the card since Tuesday, he said.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/feb/13/police-will-analyze-teens-phone-records/?online

Well, whatever happened, and wherever it happened.....there just wasn't much time for the passenger to leave MC's car and go on his way. He could have done that but, by the time he left MC, and her car, it was somewhere between
4-6:30 pm (my good guess) because MC's car was parked by 7. So if the passenger left MC, where did MC meet up with Killer, and when?? That's the million dollar question.

Did we ever figure why police weren't asking about the whereabouts of MC's car keys?

I've been wondering when someone else was going to mention the whereabouts of the keys the whole time I've been trying to catch up with these threads. Were the keys left in the car? Were the keys found on her, or near her? Are they keys maybe still with the killer or somewhere along the way?

Does anyone know if the R brothers were out of jail on 2/9/10?

Also it seems like the motivation for this crime was old built up anger (either towards women or towards some issue with MC rejecting perp) based on the body condition that has been proposed. There is also evidence that the perp is "taunting" LE with multi-county locations and pre-meditated effort to make the case confusing----which sounds like old anger and resentment towards LE.
There is far less evidence IMO of motivation for sex or money---could have taken car, debit card, gas card, could have stolen things from the house at CB or in Sunnyslope---but there is no evidence of any of that. Finally with the bills that have been mentioned in posts---I just can't believe that $100,000 is going to solve much of the financial issues for 2 different people (JF and WC) to warrant the emotional energy, time, and effort required to do this murder.

I really see anger towards women or resentment towards MC's rejection (either as a lover, daughter, or accomplice) and anger towards LE as being the big motivator here for the murder.

I think you're right on! The below article was the last one written before her body was found (less than two hours before she was found). They mention the cell, debit, and gas card missing. All articles after this one only talk about the phone still missing. This leads me to believe the debit and gas card were found on her body.

Thank you for this reminder. Could this mean that her car keys were found on her too? It seems police know where the car keys are at also because they have never asked about that, (that I know of).

Thank you for this reminder. Could this mean that her car keys were found on her too? It seems police know where the car keys are at also because they have never asked about that, (that I know of).

If her car keys were on her it would lead me to believe the car was dumped before whatever happened to her happened. It wouldn't make any sense for the killer to return her keys to her pocket. I think it's likely the keys were left in the car or discarded somewhere.

I have not heard that the keys were missing. Could you link me to this? If it wasn't mentioned at the beginning by the LE than I think they figured she had them with her. Maybe when they found her they found them. I would think the LE would mention they were missing in hopes of someone finding them because it would draw clues in.

If her car keys were on her it would lead me to believe the car was dumped before whatever happened to her happened. It wouldn't make any sense for the killer to return her keys to her pocket. I think it's likely the keys were left in the car or discarded somewhere.

So, that leaves the keys locked inside the car or the keys on her, (indicating she parked the car up Pitcher Canyon). If they were discarded by suspects, wouldn't police also have mentioned them in things they were looking for?

A cell phone was found. Info from Chelan County calls:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10C01668 PROPERTY 12:56:44 02/26/10 LAWRENCE SCOTT ACT
xxxxxx
FOUND A CELL PHONE WITHIN THE LAST HOUR, A UNIDEN CELL PHONE, BEHIND THE
EAST WENATCHEE SAFEWAY. RP THINKS IT MIGHT BE THE ONE THAT LE IS LOOKING
FOR REF THE MACKENZIE COWELL MURDER, HEARD ABOUT IT ON THE RADIO.

Never mind...not MC's.

The killer might have put her keys back in her pocket so it looked like she drove her own car there------to confuse LE or for another reason?

I have not heard that the keys were missing. Could you link me to this? If it wasn't mentioned at the beginning by the LE than I think they figured she had them with her. Maybe when they found her they found them. I would think the LE would mention they were missing in hopes of someone finding them because it would draw clues in.

As far as I know, the car keys have never been mentioned. "Maybe when they found her they found them." But that would have been 3+ days after finding the car, so police would still have wanted to find them during those initial press conferences. Yet, not a mention of them.

We are left to assume they were left inside the lock car? Meaning MC didn't park her car there. This might have been the strong clue police had that something was very wrong that night?

A cell phone was found. Info from Chelan County calls:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10C01668 PROPERTY 12:56:44 02/26/10 LAWRENCE SCOTT ACT
xxxxxx
FOUND A CELL PHONE WITHIN THE LAST HOUR, A UNIDEN CELL PHONE, BEHIND THE
EAST WENATCHEE SAFEWAY. RP THINKS IT MIGHT BE THE ONE THAT LE IS LOOKING
FOR REF THE MACKENZIE COWELL MURDER, HEARD ABOUT IT ON THE RADIO.

I saw this too. The only thing that kept me from mentioning it was her phone was stated in WW as a different phone than that.

Is the below phone a Unicell (may be a dumb question, but I'm not familar with brands of cell phones).

snipped-

Investigators also are releasing the type of phone she used — a maroon-colored LG EnV2.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/...aunch-day-she-disappeared-investigato/?online

Here is something I am wondering about. The WW news reporter was going to write a story about this website and this topic. I wonder if the reporter or the WW decided not to feature the story. Maybe...because there is so much information here. (information=news,rumors,facts...all of those type of info)

Should be in Saturday edition, if my source is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member