Found Deceased WA - Mark Lawrence Ashland, 27, Seattle, 4 Sept 1981

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you so much for all your sleuthing so. Yes, imagine how I felt when I located the Doe Pic. I initially found the description of the man on NamUS and then further research led me to the Doe Network page and I too saw the reconstructed picture and gasped as well. He was very handsome and Mark was a big brother to identical twin sisters - my mom and my aunt. We all have dark, olive skin, high check bones, tan very easily. I like to think we all have great features :) I too hope they will have me verified very soon. Thank you for your willingness to help us. I want nothing more to find some answers. I’m 34yo and always wondered if this uncle my mom had such great stories about was still out there and when I came across the John Doe - my heart sunk that I may have found the answer but it may not be the one we wanted, but atleast it may provide us, especially my mom and her sister some closure. Thanks again.

Yes. This what I sent to the detective when I emailed her about this possible match last month:

“I am a volunteer advocate with a group of online researchers who try and match up the missing with the unidentified. I would like to submit the following possible match to NamUs #UP10814 (remains of a man found hanging from tree in Carkeek Park in 1984). The link on NamUs for the UID is:

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

And my possible match is Mark Lawrence Ashland. Mr. Ashland was recently added to NamUs:

Both John Doe and Mark were similar heights and weights with brown hair and eyes. Mark was last heard from by family in 1981, lived in Seattle, and drove a bus and cab. He had sideburns, favored leather jackets, and appeared to smoke cigarettes.

In the Doe’s profile, he is described as wearing a leather jacket and carried a cigarette lighter. He had long sideburns, was believed to be local to the area, and “one arm was more tan than the other, he probably drove with his arm out the window,” which could indicate frequent driving.”

I can also see the resemblance with the sketch. Your uncle was very handsome and his personality seems to come through from his photos. I hope you are able to get some answers.

Yes. This what I sent to the detective when I emailed her about this possible match last month:

“I am a volunteer advocate with a group of online researchers who try and match up the missing with the unidentified. I would like to submit the following possible match to NamUs #UP10814 (remains of a man found hanging from tree in Carkeek Park in 1984). The link on NamUs for the UID is:

And my possible match is Mark Lawrence Ashland. Mr. Ashland was recently added to NamUs:

Both John Doe and Mark were similar heights and weights with brown hair and eyes. Mark was last heard from by family in 1981, lived in Seattle, and drove a bus and cab. He had sideburns, favored leather jackets, and appeared to smoke cigarettes.

In the Doe’s profile, he is described as wearing a leather jacket and carried a cigarette lighter. He had long sideburns, was believed to be local to the area, and “one arm was more tan than the other, he probably drove with his arm out the window,” which could indicate frequent driving.”

I can also see the resemblance with the sketch. Your uncle was very handsome and his personality seems to come through from his photos. I hope you are able to get some answers.

Thank you, FiveFelines - yes, he was handsome. Even more intriguing is that my great uncle Don (Mark’s uncle) went to the apartment for his last known address July/Aug. of 1984 and left a note on his door that he was in town and the hotel he was staying at. My great uncle Don has since passed but it was his biggest regret in life because when he didn’t hear from him he returned the next day to find the apartment cleared/emptied out and this UIP was found deceased on 10/1984 ... my mom and our family all feels this is very bizarre and everything leads to this man being Mark. But, everyone agrees that they CANNOT see him do such a thing for ANY reason. So if this is him, we will have the answer to where he is, but then be left with the question of what happened - was this really a suicide or was he met with some sort of foul play?

Thanks for everyone’s help. I hope to find out more. My mom has submitted her DNA, but our advocate with NamUS said it will take 6-9mons just to be processed.

Last edited:
Still haven't heard anything from WS about being listed as an insider. Also, spoke with the Detective again at length last week. No further information. The address and profile some have suggested have no relation to my uncle.

Still haven't heard anything from WS about being listed as an insider. Also, spoke with the Detective again at length last week. No further information. The address and profile some have suggested have no relation to my uncle.
I will reach out to the mods to see if there is any way they can expedite the process. All requests are vetted by the owner of the site, Tricia, personally, so it may take some time (she talks about it here):
Verification process

I hope that you hear back from them very soon. Praying for answers.

I will reach out to the mods to see if there is any way they can expedite the process. All requests are vetted by the owner of the site, Tricia, personally, so it may take some time (she talks about it here):
Verification process

I hope that you hear back from them very soon. Praying for answers.

I am now a Verified Insider.

5360DMWA - Mark Lawrence Ashland

He has now been added to the DoeNetwork.

We are currently working with the Seattle ME's office regarding the strong possibility that the John Doe found in Carkeek Park in 1984 may be my uncle. Hoping they will approve the release of the photos taken of the body to a local LE agency so my mom can visually confirm whether or not this is her brother. Fingers crossed this happens soon. We are hoping to explore this option to decrease the emotional toll of waiting for months on an exhumation and DNA comparison, if instead a visual identification is possible sooner.

Yesterday my mom and I were able to view facial photos of the JD. With a great amount of certainty, my mom visually ID'd him as her brother Mark. :( Now we will just be waiting to receive a DNA confirmation. I will update as soon as I have any new information.

Yesterday my mom and I were able to view facial photos of the JD. With a great amount of certainty, my mom visually ID'd him as her brother Mark. :( Now we will just be waiting to receive a DNA confirmation. I will update as soon as I have any new information.
My heart goes out to you. All the years of not knowing. And now the possibility of knowing. I can't imagine how hard all that is.

Oh my gosh, HalesNTX. I am so sorry. I can’t even begin to imagine how you and your mom must be feeling after going through such a heartbreaking experience. And I just want to cry thinking about how much pain he must have been in.

I'm so sorry that's how you and your mom had to find him (assuming it's him). Thank you for posting here and letting us know. We share in your devastation at finding out this info in this way. I hope the DNA results don't take too long. Praying your family will find some peace and comfort in finally having a resolution to the mystery of what happened to Mark. It's little comfort, I know, but if the JD is him he can finally be given his name and a permanent memorial place to rest in peace. :(

Just wanted to give everyone an update.

The Forensic Anthropologist has returned from a lengthy leave of absence. We spoke with her earlier this week and 2 things:

1. They did have a blood type for the decedent of A. A is a rare blood type. She was curious what blood type my grandparents, mom and her twin were. We located medical records for my grandfather (Type A), my grandmother (Type A) & my mom and her identical twin sister (Type O). She said this very strong evidence that also confirms that this is my uncle. The percentage of people with Type A blood is only approx. 30% and to have both parents with Type A blood and the decedent also has Type A. Those are some interesting statistics. With parents who both have Type A blood: 9/10 will also inherit Type A while the other, slim chance would be to inherit Type O (like my mom and her identical twin).

2. She does have fingerprints for the decedent. She is hoping to lift a fingerprint off of the letter and/or envelope (maybe where Mark placed the stamp) that we have that references my dad's upcoming business trip and plans to meet for dinner. I expressed my doubt to her about all these years later whether his prints would still be in tact and after us family members have held and read it. She insisted that prints can remain for many years. We are hopeful that maybe even a partial will be obtained to compare. We will be mailing this off to them this week. Fingers crossed and prayers that this might lead us to an answer sooner rather than later.

Update - I just received a phone call from the forensic pathologist from the Seattle medical examiner and they were able to lift 2 prints from the letter Mark sent my grandmother in 1981.

***She CONFIRMED they do match the prints of this John Doe***

Thank you everyone for following. We still can’t believe they were able to find these fingerprints.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suebrina
Back