Was Defendant Deprived of Her Right to Counsel?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Was Defendant Denied Her Right to Counsel?

• Yes, placing defendant before the television delayed personal notification by her attorney.

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • No, as soon as her attorney arrived he was admitted to the common room.

Votes: 114 41.3%
  • No, defendant went to the infirmary for medication. Surveillance is ever present in jail.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Yes, defendant should have remained in her cell until her attorney arrived.

Votes: 9 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I made my statements based on the facts, which are the quotes of the 2 officers and excerpts of their deposition. I don't consider this Baez's words. They state they were told to take her there under the pretense medical wanted to see her, not the other way around. Medical observed her for a great length of time without attending to her. They did not let her see her attorney when she asked, even though he was there waiting for her. They testify that this is abnormal and irregular, not standard protocol. Perhaps some here don't care if her basic civil rights were denied but she does have those rights according to the laws of the land. Yes, I believe the judge should rule in favor of suppression of what goes on in the medical unit and anything that was obtained by questionable means. Surely any tape that has been edited should be suspect. Baez wouldn't be doing his job if he let this go. I think the state should be sanctioned for allowing the leak of the interviews. That was no mistake just like it was no mistake that the last doc dumps have been nothing but duplicate copies of what has already been released, a huge waste. Yes, I have good reason to believe we won't see any of those docs published because 2 different media outlets told me it was duplicate and nothing new.

The depositions done by Baez and LKB are just now available.
Check the news section and the new threads!

I've been avoiding this thread, cause I'd have just been repeating what I've said months ago, here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3384580&highlight=hipaa#post3384580
Dep. Richardson's transcript, available and being discussed in the WS thread here: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84834"]2009.04.02~ Casey Anthony Defense Team Deposition Of Billy Richardson - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]
seals the deal that there was no HIPAA violation and no deprivation of Casey's right to counsel.

Yup, she KNEW before she ever got there:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84834"]2009.04.02~ Casey Anthony Defense Team Deposition Of Billy Richardson - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Post # 4

Huge FAKE.

Hoping judge Strickland gets control of these defense attorney's AND their defendant..........!

Can Casey and I go and hunt for Caylee alone without the bracelet or supervision? No-ok then I will just send out the PI to look where Casey said the baby is...
Can Casey use the phone? No-ok then I will just give her a prepaid one to use...
Can Casey use the internet? No-ok then I will just let her use it in my offices...
Can everyone not watch Casey in jail and violate her civil rights? No-ok then I will just file 92,000 motions to keep this all tied up FOREVER!
Can Casey be given special treatment and privilege that is not afforded to the other prisoners? No-ok then I will throw a tantrum about how cruelly my poor client is being treated...

Give it a rest Jose!
Nobody is falling for it.
The entire world knows your client is guilty.

And FYI?
A 30 minute wait is not a violation of someones civil rights-it is a small price to pay don't you think? To wait a few minutes for the FREE attorney who is defending you because you MURDERED your baby?

That is exactly how I feel about this case too!:clap:

Does anyone know if the media will be fighting the motion? I thought Strickland gave them 7 days from last Thursday?

''It's spretty obvious to me that Baez has no clue how to file a motion of any kind. I have never seen such poorly written documents in my entire life and he doesn't cite case law either. I think you have eto hire the village idiot just to read them.because they make no sense whatsoever. moo

:floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

LMAO

I hate this thread because we are still discussing if poor Casey was unfairly treated. (as per her lawyer)

Here is a woman who allowed LP to bail her out and pretty much made a fool out of him, sat by calmly and cooly and watched thousands of people search for her daughter in the heat while we were all sending pizzas per Murt, then watched as LP conducted his search at Jay Blanchard Park with no reaction (and remember...her parents had no reaction either)

And then, when the bones were located 1/4 mile from her house and she saw this on TV at the jail and her reaction was recorded....this is wrong and unfair and illegal (per JB)? Are you freakin' kidding me?

You have certainly put things into perspective, Pattymarie. Very well stated!

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I want to know WHERE It is written that ONLY her attorney can notify her of anything.
-------------------------------------------
hi, I thought it was already stated that when they are certain of identity the Clergy notifies them when in jail. KC. refused to hear the Clergyman, that happened when the remains were positively identified as Caylee.Gaia you are right.

Was Defendant Deprived of Her Right to Counsel?

Hmmm in a backwards sort of way, yes.

Her parents where her defense attorneys for the last 22 years of her life, and they most certainly deprived her!

I haven't tried searching for a link. I think it was one of the cable shows that stated the nature of the deal. They could have been wrong. I remember thinking it wasn't a 'sweetheart' deal. If she took it, she would have most likely gotten LWOP. The SODDI defense would have been impossible to use if she led them to the body.

The state never said what they were offering, not a public statement.

Geraldo posted in a blog type entry that before the body was located the state had offered Casey 10-20 years in exchange for the location and the exact details of what happened to Caylee. Geraldo went on to say that that offer was rejected.

I posted the link at the time.
Who knows if it was accurate.

I waited until I had more information to vote in this poll. After reading TU's depo (haven't had a chance to read BR's yet), I don't think she was denied counsel, but I'm not necessarily sure they went about things the right way but denied counsel, nope.

As they were taking her to medical, KC states she had already heard that something was going on and seemed to indicate that she wanted to watch tv. She sees the news and asks for JB. I doesn't sound like they questioned her in any way, so there wouldn't be any attorney-client violations there.

Now, the watching tv incident started at around 11:35, that's when they got her from her cell. I'm not sure how long it takes to get to medical but I'll say 5 mins which puts her there at about 11:40 and she is taken to the classroom (to wait for JB) around 12. Within a few mins TU asks if JB has arrived yet and is told he is just signing in, lets say that 12:10.

So if JB was leaving his office when TU got the call to take KC to medical (around 11:30), accourding to mapquest it would take him roughly 30 mins to get to the jail. He gets there at around 12. He had to sign in at the front, go through security, walk the roughly 5 mins to the next facility and then sign in there, and then walk to the classroom. From the sound of it, it could take (depending on how long the wait is at security, etc) up to 15-20mins to go through the process. Then if you add how much JB likes to talk, I think you need to add a few mins at each stop for him to chat along the way. That makes the trip 25-30mins. TU says he got to the room between 12:15-12:30.

JB is making it sound like he was either told to wait or was blocked in some way from seeing KC. I just don't see it. The timeline is pretty much exact on how long it would take him to drive there, sign in, and get to Kc.

I think JB's big complaint is that he had to sign in and deal with that 5 minutes at the front security. I am under the impression that he feels there was an extra and abnormal step there, and that normally the front will wave known attorneys through to the Female facility and he signs in and does security there. So he was made to sign in twice.

I waited until I had more information to vote in this poll. After reading TU's depo (haven't had a chance to read BR's yet), I don't think she was denied counsel, but I'm not necessarily sure they went about things the right way but denied counsel, nope.

As they were taking her to medical, KC states she had already heard that something was going on and seemed to indicate that she wanted to watch tv. She sees the news and asks for JB. I doesn't sound like they questioned her in any way, so there wouldn't be any attorney-client violations there.

Now, the watching tv incident started at around 11:35, that's when they got her from her cell. I'm not sure how long it takes to get to medical but I'll say 5 mins which puts her there at about 11:40 and she is taken to the classroom (to wait for JB) around 12. Within a few mins TU asks if JB has arrived yet and is told he is just signing in, lets say that 12:10.

So if JB was leaving his office when TU got the call to take KC to medical (around 11:30), accourding to mapquest it would take him roughly 30 mins to get to the jail. He gets there at around 12. He had to sign in at the front, go through security, walk the roughly 5 mins to the next facility and then sign in there, and then walk to the classroom. From the sound of it, it could take (depending on how long the wait is at security, etc) up to 15-20mins to go through the process. Then if you add how much JB likes to talk, I think you need to add a few mins at each stop for him to chat along the way. That makes the trip 25-30mins. TU says he got to the room between 12:15-12:30.

JB is making it sound like he was either told to wait or was blocked in some way from seeing KC. I just don't see it. The timeline is pretty much exact on how long it would take him to drive there, sign in, and get to Kc.

Excellent breakdown, Nephers! :clap: This really makes you wonder what in the world JB is complaining about. It also makes one wonder how you are to lend any credence to ANYTHING he says if he can blow something like this out of proportion so badly! Actually, it sounds to me like a blatant "mis-truth"!

Excellent breakdown, Nephers! :clap: This really makes you wonder what in the world JB is complaining about. It also makes one wonder how you are to lend any credence to ANYTHING he says if he can blow something like this out of proportion so badly! Actually, it sounds to me like a blatant "mis-truth"!

since there is not much of a defense,,, i mean really this case is going to be ugly for the whole bunch of them from KC to the grandaprents and the brother

the only thing the defense atty :crazy:can do is put up diversion after diversion this allows the defense to have more TV time and more time with their client

simple as that

Baez wants this video supressed due to it showing consciousness of guilt on KC's part. She had no reaction to the bag of bones found at JPB Park yet when she hears on the radio remains found 1/4 mile from her home, she gets wigged out and hyperventilates. If that doesn't show guilt, what does?

KC asked for medication, staff brought her to a common area, the jail is under video surveillance, no audio. That is not against her civil rights, IMO.:furious:

I think Baez and team should get busy instead of crying all the time. He teaches law students yet can't file a motion properly. He alleges police misconduct, jail personnel misconduct, prosecutorial misconduct and claims RG was a suspect in Caylee's demise. I think he needs to rethink his defense and tell KC too much against her and she should give it up and plead guilty.

:mad:

Baez wants this video supressed due to it showing consciousness of guilt on KC's part. She had no reaction to the bag of bones found at JPB Park yet when she hears on the radio remains found 1/4 mile from her home, she gets wigged out and hyperventilates. If that doesn't show guilt, what does?

KC asked for medication, staff brought her to a common area, the jail is under video surveillance, no audio. That is not against her civil rights, IMO.:furious:

I think Baez and team should get busy instead of crying all the time. He teaches law students yet can't file a motion properly. He alleges police misconduct, jail personnel misconduct, prosecutorial misconduct and claims RG was a suspect in Caylee's demise. I think he needs to rethink his defense and tell KC too much against her and she should give it up and plead guilty.

I don't think it shows consciousness of guilt at all. I was curious during the JBP fiasco but my reaction to the find at Suburban was very different. I was close to tears ~ and I have no guilt. I don't think her reactions indicate either guilt or innocence.

But thats the absurd thing. It is easy enough to BS her response into almost anything. Especially when all they see is a soundless grainy security video. A small childs body was found near her parents house. It is not a stretch to say "of course she knew who it was, everyone knew who it was, just listen to the 911 dispatcher who takes the call". It may show consciousness of guilt. It may show emotional distress, but it really isn't a strong hard piece of evidence. Heck I think the Seargents testimony in his deposition for JB and LKB is far more compelling as it describes exactly how she reacted, and it filters it through a very believable witness who is even displaying some humanity about the whole thing. He is obviously not totally on the SA's side. He is not a setup and has challenged his bosses. But he still gives a very clear report on her wanting tio see the tv and her reactions to it.

So I am still not sure what exactly JB and crew are fighting for here?

I don't think it shows consciousness of guilt at all. I was curious during the JBP fiasco but my reaction to the find at Suburban was very different. I was close to tears ~ and I have no guilt. I don't think her reactions indicate either guilt or innocence.

Do you recall why you got so upset? Could it possibly have had something to do with the proximity to the A home? Possibly also factored in the odds that mothers who kill usually leave the child near home?

Now, if you were the mother and you knew you didn't do it, why would you assume it was your child and react that way? Especially as the last place you saw your child was miles away?

Have you actually read the latest depos by the 2 jail personnel? KC was not taken to the medical facility because she asked for medication. She was told that someone from mental health wanted to see her when in fact the sole purpose of the exercise was so that she could be placed in front of a TV for her reactions to the news to be recorded, on the special instructions of LE. The medical area was apparently chosen for this purpose because it's the only area in which a TV is constantly switched on. There is also no evidence as to what she was listening to on her radio when BR went to collect her - he states that he doesn't know what it was.

As to the 'bag of bones' found in JBP, if I had a missing child and a couple of twig/stick-like objects and one or two other small objects were found by searchers, I would not immediately freak out and fear that my child had been found. There's a whole world of difference between the possible significance of a find of small objects that 'might be' bones, and the discovery of the actual skull of a human child! Also we don't know how much of the coverage of the JBP incident KC was actually privy to, but she certainly didn't experience the added hype and hysteria producing effect of Murt's live coverage and so at best she would have only seen divers going in or out of the water and rummaging through a very small pile of 'suspicious' debris. Should she really have been expected to collapse in horror at the sight of that?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitbladdo
Back