Websleuths is MOVING to a new home

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I guess you have to hope you can get into the "Conversations", where all the importants stuff is being discussed. or you are not going to know what is going on. To me the most important part of a forum like this is documenting the cases. That is not going to happen in private conversations. I already don't like how so much of of the exchange of information is already forced into private messages, because it's not allowed to be discussed. Those who are not privy to these private massages are just left scratch their heads as to what everybody is talking about.

"Conversations" are just like PMs. usually either chatty stuff or clarification of info that doesn't need to clutter the thread. I suppose they might even include discussing a non-media article/item/etc. that could not be on the regular thread. I realiy don't think it is likely to change the info and discussions on the threads.

What is said in a private conversation stays there ... I don't think it will have an effect. JMO

CARIIS: I think threads will poop out much faster with that feature

you may be surprised. I don't see it changing any more than PMs changed the discussions here. Otherwise, we won't need the forum. Have faith, CARIIS -- we will make it work!

"Conversations" are just like PMs. usually either chatty stuff or clarification of info that doesn't need to clutter the thread. I suppose they might even include discussing a non-media article/item/etc. that could not be on the regular thread. I realiy don't think it is likely to change the info and discussions on the threads.

What is said in a private conversation stays there ... I don't think it will have an affect. JMO

I wouldn't worry to much about the conversation's they are no different than a PM except you can invite more people if they choose to do so.

Sorry spellbound that isn't directed towards you, just adding to the context of conversations.

I wouldn't worry too much. As Tricia said, "Conversations" are a good place to go if we wish to discuss things not allowed on the thread. Without "Conversations" those things would still remain as not communicated on the thread :)

in reality however if a lot of people are off in private conversations no sleuthing is happening people cant be hunting info while talking opinions

sluething is our forte! and that is not opinion based but research base

it is almost the opposite of what makes this so amazing is having alot of people scouring the internet for NEWS not off Google !!

My sense is it will be discovered that it is not for our patricular forum going to be a good idea.

but tricia has proven to address stuff as it emerges

it might be moderator appealing but might diminish number of folks sluething for all of us

I also think guest traffic will be impacted --if as the story moves along and less new fresh info is coming guests who are using us as a news source will fade out very very quickly

just my notions

Please, everyone, you should not worry about the "Conversations". These are just the same as Private Messages (PM) now. And you can include more than one person a PM on this site now so, it should not change anything. Meticulously said it perfectly - that is stops small talk on the threads. It just ensures that the threads are not clogged up with posts that will get deleted, and off-topic posts are kept at a minimum. The conversations are just much more user friendly on the new site. I am soooooo confident this will not affect sleuthing on the threads. It doesn't now. And if people are ruining it now with talk of PM's on the thread, or discussing what is said in their PM's now, then, they shouldn't be.

Point is, I'm the anxiety queen of my family and I'm not worried. Websleuths is great now, so just think what it will be when we get a fresh, new, look.

I wouldn't worry to much about the conversation's they are no different than a PM except you can invite more people if they choose to do so.

Sorry spellbound that isn't directed towards you, just adding to the context of conversations.

it is less people sluething and more talking !!!

which i know i love to do ! But it has to have impact on news as it comes out if a bunch of us are talking instead of looking for the latest

well see

i do think it will impact traffic over time --if we are coming here to get a reciepe for choc cake once we get that people might leave

but if we are researching types of cakes it tends to be a different activity !

JMO

guest traffic will imo def go down and that is not good for any of us

need money to keep WS - just a fact

It stops small talk on the threads .
I've been doing this for a year or two with tapatalk group chats .
When you post on the public thread your info is better .
It definitely works for the better .. imo

but........what is defined as small talk is subjective not objective !!!!!!!!!!

one persons small talk might be anothers ah ha moment

that happens a lot here for me

its like wow I never thought about and then that sends me off on another search to learn more about that angle !

Did someone oversleep? :laughing:

I didn't think we would still be up and running! Does this mean we will be down longer?

What is said in a private conversation stays there ... I don't think it will have an effect. JMO

you may be surprised. I don't see it changing any more than PMs changed the discussions here. Otherwise, we won't need the forum. Have faith, CARIIS -- we will make it work!

I don't know what you discuss in PMs, but 95% of what I discuss is what the moderators won't allow to be discussed in the thread. The chatty stuff goes on in the thread, not in PMs. That will only get worse. The threads will be for general information and chat. The important information will be discussed in "Conversations" .

Did someone oversleep? :laughing:

I didn't think we would still be up and running! Does this mean we will be down longer?

LOL.

I keep thinking I'm stuck here and everyone else is gone "Guys?...." :floorlaugh:

I am another queen of anxiety and I am not at all worried about Conversations. They are no different than an email, which we could all be doing behind the scenes. Overall, I think they will be used for what cannot be said in the public pages, and nothing more. Or a few may use them for social reasons. But the sleuthing and the major discussions wilo always come first.

LOL.

I keep thinking I'm stuck here and everyone else is gone "Guys?...." :floorlaugh:

Oh! Wouldn't it be nice if they left us with just ths one thread until it is all moved over? We could all still stay connected ... and get a little goofy, perhaps.

Could they have meant the time for a different time zone? EST is now nearly 9 am here .... or someone really overslept? Haha :bed:

it is less people sluething and more talking !!!

which i know i love to do ! But it has to have impact on news as it comes out if a bunch of us are talking instead of looking for the latest

well see

i do think it will impact traffic over time --if we are coming here to get a reciepe for choc cake once we get that people might leave

but if we are researching types of cakes it tends to be a different activity !

JMO

guest traffic will imo def go down and that is not good for any of us

need money to keep WS - just a fact

I think we are worrying to much about nothing. I think everything on the Beta site is going to be great, and yes it will take time to get use to it. Although it didn't take me much time to figure out how to navigate with the help of others.

I think we all need to just relax and be thankful that Tricia has provided us a Forum to discuss cases period!

I don't know what you discuss in PMs, but 95% of what I discuss is what the moderators won't allow to be discussed in the thread. The chatty stuff goes on in the thread, not in PMs. That will only get worse. The threads will be for general information and chat. The important information will be discussed in "Conversations" .

BBM. What makes you think this will be any different on the new site than it is here? :)

LOL.

Around 7 AM Eastern is now Sometime Today...

oh good first thing i did was come here !! upon awakening!

I think it might take some time to come back up and then we probably will experience some like crashes when one of us blows it up by accident

ha!

early on I blew out "the margins"! have no idea what i pushed but a bunch of people instantly started posting that ! ha !

I am with ya spell this has been a fun thread !!

in reality however if a lot of people are off in private conversations no sleuthing is happening people cant be hunting info while talking opinions

sluething is our forte! and that is not opinion based but research base

it is almost the opposite of what makes this so amazing is having alot of people scouring the internet for NEWS not off Google !!

My sense is it will be discovered that it is not for our patricular forum going to be a good idea.

but tricia has proven to address stuff as it emerges

it might be moderator appealing but might diminish number of folks sluething for all of us

I also think guest traffic will be impacted --if as the story moves along and less new fresh info is coming guests who are using us as a news source will fade out very very quickly

just my notions

From my experience, it seems to be the cases with 20 threads that I feel there's a lot of PM activity going on, whether that's asides that can't be posted in the forum or the sharing of information that can't be posted, or info that can't *yet* be posted but later on becomes allowable. So in that sense I doubt it would kill threads off, because I think some of those off-board interactions are a sign of high interest in a case. But it can be annoying when you sense there's info being shared around and you don't know what it is! That's already the case so that isn't going to change, but maybe this way a few more people could be included in the spreading of background info? I think it might be good if you could open a conversation with the ten people who've posted most recently to share something you just found or to ask a question rather than just picking one to PM.

BUT...I don't think it will cut down on disallowed posts in the forum and reduce work for mods. I believe most disallowed posts are posted due to not understanding the rules, and the conversations facility won't change that.

BBM. What makes you think this will be any different on the new site than it is here? :)

i thought it was awesome idea then i did start to think about it a bit

simply put less eyes storming around Google changes new data!!!!!

and now that is our pattern as the story goes on it becomes more opinion based which is awesome

but in a breaking environment our magic is grasping the info and the more eyes the better !!

i am amazed news outlets do not a put an intern on here 224 7 its sourced stuff

Because the private "Conversations" will siphon the information out of the threads. Private messages are a nice service to the users of the forum, but contribute nothing to the forum content.

Because the private "Conversations" will siphon the information out of the threads. Private messages are a nice service to the users of the forum, but contribute nothing to the forum content.

I understand completely what you saying. However, conversations are exactly the same as PM's now so, I don't think there is anything new to worry about where that is concerned.

I am another queen of anxiety and I am not at all worried about Conversations. They are no different than an email, which we could all be doing behind the scenes. Overall, I think they will be used for what cannot be said in the public pages, and nothing more. Or a few may use them for social reasons. But the sleuthing and the major discussions wilo always come first.
This post is on the money. I think my main purpose of using the convos will be to release a bit of stress when I’m biting my tongue due to TOS, typing, angrily hitting the backspace button a dozen times... I tend to get emotionally involved in the case. I’m always telling myself to focus on the facts but it’s sometimes difficult. If I can go to a safe place to relieve that tension with like-minded members, I think it’s a slow breather time. I think it will enhance my perspective when I return to the thread. I’m trying to type fast. It’s gonna go any minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robinhood0602