weekend break: discuss the latest here #125

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of this case in particular, we know Nurmi wanted off the case but was ordered to stay on by the court.

Speaking more generally, if an attorney is retained by a client who insists that they are innocent, it would be unseemly (I think) for that attorney to say, "nah, you sure look guilty to me! Good luck finding an attorney who believes you!"
There are all kinds of reasons an attorney may refuse a case, but if one genuinely believes that EVERYONE is entitled to a defense (which I believe fiercely) then it isn't really fair to go around criticizing the attorneys who make a system like that possible.

Schuby, Oh, I'm not criticizing the attorneys, by all means. I just don't how the lawyers can do it, that's all, except by lying. I know everyone is entitled to a lawyer and that's the way it should be. I'm also saying that the lawyer would be looking at all the evidence and if he feels that his client is guilty, how does he go about defending him?

What could laviolette Possibly have said ,to Samantha to justify her coming up to her.

I was just saying what was being reported on the Justice for Travis site. There are a lot of posts and comments over there....I followed this one back as far as I was able and it appears to have come from someone who was also in the courtroom and saw the incident and overheard what was said. I can't vouch for the truthfulness of it, but it steams me even to think about it.

That reminds me of a comment I believe was on JVM's show last week...or at least one of the HLN programs. The person stated they lived in AZ and always had gas cans with them so as not to run out in the middle of nowhere. That I may have found believable in years past when cars didn't get good mileage. However, the one she rented would have excellent highway mileage, and if not for her NOT WANTING TO STOP in AZ, she would not need gas cans. In high temperatures there are a fire hazard, especially in the trunk of a small car.

MOO

Right some gentleman called in and made that comment that he always carries gas can with him because of the fear of getting stuck on the road with no gas in the desert.

Me neither. I really feel for this jury because I get the impression that they've been ready to deliberate for weeks and the DT case is only making them more sure of what they knew 3 weeks ago. From reading PASA and KCL's impressions, all these rolled eye smirking glances ALV has been throwing their way, have been missed because they aren't even looking at her.
I think we'll have a verdict after their first vote but they'll sit and relax a little just to give the appearance that a discussion was required. It may take longer for them to vote in a foreperson than the verdict will. MOO

Hopefully you are correct. The penalty phase I do expect to take longer, but the guilt/innocence is a no-brainer.

Wouldn't it be a slap to the DT if they jury did return a verdict in a very short time only to emphasize what a strong case Juan Martinez had?

:D

MOO

Perhaps of interest, the blogspot Falsity composed on May 10 was all about her wanderlust & search for fulfillment. She had a throbbing, pulsing desire to experience all the beauties of nature. And she named them. Later that same day she recorded the notorious sex tape, still pulsing and throbbing. Putting the blog and the tape side by side, she's disconcerting to say the least.

If the prosecution makes the case for her leaving home on June 3, armed with the burglarised 25 automatic and the intent to travel to Travis's home and kill him, a long apron of premeditation is proven. With that established, her self-defense claim falls. You cannot enter the home of a man found slaughtered and assert that you were only fending him off, if all along and for more than a day, you planned to kill him. Especially if the 25 automatic was one of the weapons used to lethally attack him. I'm wondering what evidence of forethought to murder other sleuths find most compelling. For me it is the gun: the staged "burglary" & her theft of the 25. That just bellows out louder than Falsity singing Unholy Night.

Definitely the gas cans

Prosecutor Juan Martinez's "Perry Mason" Moment - Busts Jodi Arias For Lying About Gas Cans - YouTube

Right some gentleman called in and made that comment that he always carries gas can with him because of the fear of getting stuck on the road with no gas in the desert.

Thank you! When I heard it I thought "but she was driving a small, gas-friendly car"!!! She was also supposed to be on a major Interstate and not wandering around amongst the cacti and sagebrush.

:floorlaugh:

I sure hope that Juan Martinez has charged this case correctly and is successful and that it doesn't end up having the verdict be 2nd degree murder. Jodi tried to plead to 2nd degree, but Martinez would not accept. Not only will it have cost $$$$ for the same outcome as the plea, she will be able to appeal even 2nd degree now, and cost lots more $$$$.

Of course, there will be an appeal whatever the verdict is, I know.

Well, I thought LaViolette could not have sunk any lower, but if this is true.....

It's been posted on the Justice 4 Travis page that when Alyce approached Samantha, she leaned over and said. "NOTHING PERSONAL".

really? How much more personal can you get than trashing a beloved and deceased brother??? I am speechless.

People will often make up something to fill in the gaps for themselves .. I don't think anyone knows what was said ... maybe someone thought it might be that, but that's how rumours start. Unless it's brought up (out of the presence of the jury) or unless Samantha or LaV tell someone, that sort of stuff is just "assumption". I've learned to take most things with a grain of salt until they are proven facts.

JMHO

I sure hope that Juan Martinez has charged this case correctly and is successful and that it doesn't end up having the verdict be 2nd degree murder. Jodi tried to plead to 2nd degree, but Martinez would not accept. Not only will it have cost $$$$ for the same outcome as the plea, she will be able to appeal even 2nd degree now, and cost lots more $$$$.

I don't think there will. Only if she gets the DP will the state fund her appeal. Anything less and she has to come up with the $$$ on her own. Her art ain't that good.

He hasn't. The premeditated portion is very clear.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you! When I heard it I thought "but she was driving a small, gas-friendly car"!!! She was also supposed to be on a major Interstate and not wandering around amongst the cacti and sagebrush.

:floorlaugh:

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:IKR!

Hopefully you are correct. The penalty phase I do expect to take longer, but the guilt/innocence is a no-brainer.

Wouldn't it be a slap to the DT if they jury did return a verdict in a very short time only to emphasize what a strong case Juan Martinez had?

:D

MOO

Wilmotts is sure spending alot of time! repeating re crossing, for long torturous days. Over and over as if the jurors are dummies and need it pounded into them.

Maybe she was in part trying to keep the witness on the stand to annoy and prevent juan from getting his turn.
I'm sure the DTis dreading it. When he turn comes around. They know hes just that good.

Well, I thought LaViolette could not have sunk any lower, but if this is true.....

It's been posted on the Justice 4 Travis page that when Alyce approached Samantha, she leaned over and said. "NOTHING PERSONAL".

really? How much more personal can you get than trashing a beloved and deceased brother??? I am speechless.

I read it was something else.But I don't want to say cause I don't know if its a rumor,but go read the comments on

http://lindapariscrimeblog.com/?p=319

Sorry to be such a dumb newbie but.......MOO means what?

Just wonderin'

What do you mean "charged this case correctly" ?

She slaughtered an innocent man with clear and obvious premeditation. What other charge is there?

Me neither. I really feel for this jury because I get the impression that they've been ready to deliberate for weeks and the DT case is only making them more sure of what they knew 3 weeks ago. From reading PASA and KCL's impressions, all these rolled eye smirking glances ALV has been throwing their way, have been missed because they aren't even looking at her.
I think we'll have a verdict after their first vote but they'll sit and relax a little just to give the appearance that a discussion was required. It may take longer for them to vote in a foreperson than the verdict will. MOO

(Bolding mine)

Heh, that was exactly the case on the trial where I was a juror. We were nearly clueless when it came to how to select one. It was only a week-long trial, but we hadn't said 5 words to each other the whole time and had no idea who of us was who. We tossed around options and even had to vote on a method before proceeding...!

FYI, there is an interview being aired right now on 20/20 with many of the New Town parents. Very wrenching.

That reminds me of a comment I believe was on JVM's show last week...or at least one of the HLN programs. The person stated they lived in AZ and always had gas cans with them so as not to run out in the middle of nowhere. That I may have found believable in years past when cars didn't get good mileage. However, the one she rented would have excellent highway mileage, and if not for her NOT WANTING TO STOP in AZ, she would not need gas cans. In high temperatures there are a fire hazard, especially in the trunk of a small car.

MOO

I've lived in Arizona for 17 years, and take many regional trips, and I have never, ever either taken filled gas cans with me on the road or even heard anyone I know to have ever taken filled gas cans on a roadtrip. There are gas stations EVERYWHERE, this is 2008 (at the time) not 1949. And I drive an suv with fairly low mpg. The stink would be unliveable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankfurtfun